Current Page: 45 of 261
Re: Mooji a cult?
Posted by: Horowitz ()
Date: November 13, 2018 11:02AM

Thanks, I got it, it may be the truth...

..."Trading profits and Gift Aid: One of the main reasons for setting up a trading subsidiary is to generate funds for the charity. A trading subsidiary can donate its profits to its parent charity and claim Gift Aid tax relief on the donation, if it is liable for corporation tax. Caution should be taken when deciding how much of the profit should be donated, because the subsidiary will need to retain and reinvest some profit to ensure its sustainability..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2018 11:04AM by Horowitz.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Sahara71 ()
Date: November 13, 2018 11:12AM

On paper at least, they seem to donate the entirity of their profits back into the so-called charity. Then the charity can shunt the money over to the ashram, in the form of a grant.

It looks like the who business operates as one tax-free entity, maintained by free labor.

Date: November 13, 2018 12:14PM

If you look at the official paperwork of the Moo Foundation, you will see an interesting discrepancy in the year 2017.

In 2015, funds raised by "retreats and intensives" is listed as around £980,000 (which is what we would expect)

In 2016, again funds raised from "retreats and intensives" is listed at £890,700.

In 2017, however this figure unexpectedly plummets to only £39,000 raised from "retreats and intensives". Which is absolutely not what we would expect!

But then there is a corresponding rise in funds raised from media and products sales in that same year, 2017 (over £794,000). My guess is that funds they previously claimed were raised from retreats, are now claimed as being raised by 'media and product' sales. Why?

Could be all about minimising tax - a touch of creative accountancy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2018 12:17PM by Sahara71.

Posted by: happytown ()
Date: November 13, 2018 08:34PM

Broadcasting sessions where people are guided into a relaxed, suggestible state is illegal in many countries:

[mindhacks.com]

Posted by: Horowitz ()
Date: November 14, 2018 07:38AM

Mooji is actually a Neo-Advaita-Vendata teacher and a cult Guru and there is an interesting article by Giovanni D.: TRUE NONDUALITY AND NEO-ADVAITA – MOVING BEYOND A COGNITIVE REALIZATION: [liveanddare.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2018 07:45AM by Horowitz.

Date: November 14, 2018 11:07AM

Horowitz,

thanks for sharing that article. Reading the whole thing, you can see how Advaita teachings could be abused and used to try and 'trick' people into thinking that they had had some kind of awakening experience.

It's good to see that there is a distinction made between real, lived reality and a kind of "spiritual reality". It's really a big mistake to use Advaita to try and pretend that reality isn't real!

Posted by: happytown ()
Date: November 14, 2018 07:31PM

Some useful terminology for "satsangs hijinks"

[beyond-advaita.blogspot.com]

Also, if you are in an environment where your concerns are met with something along the lines of, "but can you see that's just a thought?", (and thought is demonised) be weary.

Phobia induction and desensitization:

[www.openmindsfoundation.org]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2018 07:40PM by happytown.

Date: November 15, 2018 05:59AM

It's interesting that the UK. Charity Commission announced that it is investigating another religious group that call themselves a 'charity'- the investigation was announced yesterday.

You can read about it here:
(a lot of the concern revolves around how this group handled their money. Note that the Moo Foundation also issues some very creative accounting records!)

[www.gov.uk]

It's worth a read.

You can put in an official complaint against the Moo group here:

[forms.charitycommission.gov.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2018 06:03AM by Sahara71.

Posted by: i yam what i yam ()
Date: November 15, 2018 07:33AM

Sahara71 - be careful of making accusations of financial impropriety without any evidence. Though if you are actually a forensic accountant who's been through the books, I apologise.

I don't think you're at much risk of being sued, but you might find it useful to have read this:
[www.eff.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2018 07:38AM by i yam what i yam.

Date: November 15, 2018 08:53AM

i yam what i yam,

I think it's OK because I am not a blogger, nor am I acting with malice. I am just a concerned citizen worried about cult activity.

If Rick Ross has any problem with what I write, then he is free to delete my comments from this forum. I would not take any offence.

Startingover called Moo a 'bastard'.

Constantin said he ran a cult and had an unusual interest in other people's sex lives.

Applejuice said Krishnabai got into a physical fight with another woman.

Happytown said that Moo runs a cult.

Xivoparig claimed Moo was a rapist and a fraud. I notice that this post hasn't been taken down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2018 09:14AM by Sahara71.

Current Page: 45 of 261

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.