Current Page: 19 of 261
Re: Mooji a cult?
Posted by: Horowitz ()
Date: September 27, 2018 03:52AM

Very interesting and deep psychological analysis of Mooji's ego and personality with some comments about Monte Sahaja ashram community: mooji cult suicide | why i dont have a spiritual guru by Daniel Eder Spiritual Growth:
[www.youtube.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Sahara71 ()
Date: September 27, 2018 06:01PM

That's interesting, Horowitz,

Thanks for sharing. Interesting how he mentions one guy being asked for 150 euros just to speak to Moo privately. That kind of think doesn't sound very spiritual, does it? Especially when Moo's teacher Papaji specifically stated that you shouldn't charge money for Satsung.

If he is going to ask for that much money just to talk to people one on one, then it should be clearly stated on Moo's website. That way people would know what they are getting into and they can make up their own minds whether it is "spiritual" or not.

For me, I would find paying that much money to Moo to be a big rip off.

Begin Keeping Track of Mooji's Prices - Expect Prices to Go Up
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: September 27, 2018 09:14PM

How to create craving in relation to an "Advaita" guru.

[forum.culteducation.com]

When this happens. It carries the message that the guru is special,
conveys some kind of "energy" the way a space heater does, or a tanning bed.

Closer you are to the guru, the more virtues you absorb.

We discussed this years ago about Eckhart Tolle.

[forum.culteducation.com]

Date: September 28, 2018 05:05AM

Thanks Corboy,

It's confusing, because the Advaita message, or Moo's "pointings" are supposed to be simple and you are supposed to become instantly enlightened from them.

So it doesn't make any sense that you should have to pay extra to meet the teacher in person, or attend some kind of retreat or event, because if the teachings were so simple, you wouldn't need to do this at all!

So it looks to me like people are not becoming enlightened in droves. It looks like all these teachings are completely ineffectual, there is a complete failure to deliver any kind of result at all!!

People are not becoming enlightened, but they continue to waste their time and money, anyway. The further they get into it, the more they are willing to spend. Then the new "recruits" see others willing to spend up big and they must assume there is something in it. If others are doing it, it must be good, right? It's catchy.... like a new fashion.

One person wears a beard and a lumberjack shirt and the next thing you know, everyone is doing it! It catches on.

Still no enlightenment.... Still the same lame and confusing teachings being spouted out, over and over again. Hear them in person, read them in a book, watch them on YouTube. It goes like this (for those of you who have missed it.)

: "You are not really you, you are the one witnessing the witness but is the witness also you or are you not you?" Reload and repeat.

And repeat.

And once more, with feeling.

You can read it read for free, no need to go to Moo's retreats. No need to do anything. If this teaching were really spiritual, money would not be changing hands. Spiritual people don't even want money, they aren't interested in it and they don't crave it.

A truly spiritual person would be off helping the poor and the destitute, they would not be spouting clap-trap that confuses people.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: September 28, 2018 07:38AM

"You are not really you, you are the one witnessing the witness but is the witness also you or are you not you?"

This is a recipe for trance, not enlightenment.

Remember Alexandra Stein's insight:

These people are toxic because they advertise how we will gain stability from their teachings, yet these people's verbal output does the opposite: it destabilizes the listeners.

Posted by: Wombat ()
Date: September 28, 2018 04:25PM

"You are not really you, you are the one witnessing the witness but is the witness also you or are you not you?" is not a quote from Mooji and it is a failed attempt to summarise what he teaches.

Many pages back the moderator asked me if I had anything bad to say about Mooji (or something like that). Sure I do. Noone is perfect. But what I see here is people talking about Mooji who don't have any real idea about him or what he teaches, so the conclusions being reached are unfortunately not very well informed.

He does not perform "exorcisms" -- there is one video with this name, but that video was not released by Mooji's followers. It is an excerpt from when he was greeting people and one woman had an outburst of very strong emotions, which looks extremely distressing but the only ones who called it an "exorcism" was the person who posted this video. I have occasionally heard him talk about "dark energies" and have seen him say something like "let it out" or "let it be gone" etc. when someone has an emotional outburst. But that is not an "exorcism". I have never heard him use that word nor seen it written anywhere with anything to do with him or his followers.

Sahara71 -- how long did you watch his YouTubes? I have the impression it was quite a short time and that you did not like how it made you feel so you stopped. Great! Does that justify you going on a crusade to stop everyone watching his videos?

If I watch mindless TV shows on Netflix, I start to feel quite depressed, unmotivated and dull. I have also read that there is a link between watching TV and depression -- does that mean Netflix is dangerous and trance inducing and should be stopped? Of course not! After 2 - 3 hour university lectures I would feel quite dizzy and spaced out when I walked out. Also, tragically, quite a lot of students have taken their own lives -- does that mean universities are dangerous and that no-one should attend university lectures? Ummmm, no. You may think these comments are ridiculous, but for those who follow Mooji's teachings most of the comments on this forum are equally ridiculous. Call the French embassy in Portugal to get them to issue a travel warning!? Seriously?!

Mooji has hundreds of thousands of followers worldwide who (based on their testimonies) seem to benefit form his teachings, and their positive comments can be found everywhere, yet this forum focuses on a handful of anonymous hearsay reports found scattered here and there. These handful of comments are posted and reposted without any scrutiny whatsoever.

Did you know that he actively encourages people NOT to touch his feet? It is often announced before his talks, and he often pulls people up as soon as they go to bow to him.

Did you know that when signing up for a retreat there is a a whole lot of info that retreats might not be good for people with mental health issues and that they should speak with their doctor before registering? Oh, and that they should NOT stop their current therapy or medication?

Like someone else mentioned, I am getting pulled into defending Mooji which was not my intention. In my case it is simply because the info being shared here is so misinformed.

Posted by: i yam what i yam ()
Date: September 28, 2018 06:24PM

Wombat - I agree with your criticisms of this discussion which has some very interesting moments, and a useful critique of Mooji from outside of the bubble, but is also at times a massive and hysterical over-reaction over something which for many people is positive/benign. And yes, Sahara71 has made some good general points but is not well-informed on the specifics.

BUT you yourself are also clearly subject to the delusions of the Mooji-cult.

Mooji has set up the whole environment that leads to people kissing his feet. He can flimsily say he doesn't want it, but he's set up the whole situation that leads to his acolytes doing it.

The Mooji website and the shops on retreats and events even sell fabric posters and pendants of Mooji's artfully photographed feet!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2018 06:37PM by i yam what i yam.

Posted by: i yam what i yam ()
Date: September 28, 2018 06:36PM

Suicides of Mooji followers are not quite the same as student suicides at university. It's more like this:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: September 29, 2018 05:31AM

Moo sells artful pictures of his feet in his gift shop for 1.50 euros each. You can order them in the mail. It does not seem like he is trying to prevent people from worshiping at his feet! It seems like he wants people to focus on his feet.

Surely he has some control of what is for sale in his own gift shop?

The video of Moo performing an exorcism was from his own Moo YouTube channel and was released by the Moo cult, not someone else. If you follow the link that was posted in this thread much earlier, then you will see that the link takes you straight to Moo's channel.

I yam what I yam stated that Moo performed excorsims "regularly" Her words, not mine. She was there at the Moo cult retreats.

I will endeavour to transcribe some "pointings" from Moo's videos when I have the time. You will see that the teachings are very similar to what I have paraphrased. These teaching are confusing in the extreme.

Moo does promise instant enlightenment. Have you become enlightened from watching him? What is it like?

Yes, there are hundreds of glowing reports about Moo. But they all sound the same. They basically say:
Moo is the Way,
He is the Light and the Love.
No-body comes to the Truth, except through Moo.

What these glowing reports never seem to say is exactly how people's lives changed for the better after experiencing "instant enlightenment", just by hearing Moo's message.

No-one says that they ended up resolving issues in their interpersonal relationships, or they managed to get their perfect job, or found that people began to treat them more nicely, with more respect.

They just sound tranced-out and impractical, as though life no longer matters to them, because they are now focused on foot-kissing and singing Moo's praises.

I've noticed that Moo even has a photo of himself for sale in the gift shop captioned "Beloved Father". Beloved father?? He is not our father.... to me that is an expression that you would use when you are praying to God.

Moo is not God.

Discussing this kind of thing is very appropriate on a forum entitled 'Cult Education'. If you are offended by it, then please don't read it. There are plenty of places to praise Moo on the Internet, in fact I am very happy to suggest some to you. The Moo sub-reddit on Reddit is one such place. They heavily censor everything there, so they will be nothing you could be upset by!

Raising concerns is not 'hysterical'. It is a normal part of critical thinking, and indeed, a normal part of life.

Date: September 29, 2018 07:18AM

Strange, vague and confusing pointing from Moo;

"sometimes I say,
When one can bear one's own silence,
One is free.
But who is there to bear it even?"

Moo seems to be saying that we are not really there. Although we must be there, if we are 'bearing silence'. Someone is bearing their own silence, it seems?
But Moo asks who that one is. Then he implies that that one is not there at all.

Can anyone, anywhere explain this to me?
Are we here or not?

I believe that I am here! Silence or no silence, I am here.

Moo implies that I am not here. Where am I?

I understand mysticism. I don't have a problem with it. Zen, Advaita, whatever. Be as mystical as you like, but please don't confuse people by suggesting that they don't exist at all. It's not healthy.

We exist. We live our lives. We engage with the world with a healthy scepticism and we engage critical thinking and reason.

Current Page: 19 of 261

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.