Re: Byron Katie (the Work) and Eckhart Tolle Legit??
Posted by: skepticGranny ()
Date: July 20, 2010 03:19PM

Okay, vlinden. let me try again. You wrote at some point in this thread, (and I realise it's quite some time ago):

Quote:
vlinden
...But the One has divided, and in our division we live, we love, and we suffer. And that is life. When we die perhaps we'll return to the One, but for now we cannot separate ourselves from our minds, our egos, our rationality, and attempting to do so causes more hurt than good. People can even go mad trying. This is not healing, it's delusion.

It seems to me that you are disagreeing with Byron Katie statements completely. Personally I have another opinion. Where she has gone wrong, in my eyes, is on 2 fronts. One, she should never have begun collecting money in the commercial way she does, and two, she should have renounced from this entire 'turn around' stuff, let alone the School she's made of it. But I do think she's also doing some good with her simple questioning to make people aware of limiting thoughts and projections. (it could be, by the way, that my English isn't flawless, since Dutch is my first language)
And there's another point I'lld like to make. Byron Katie, questionable as her approach of people in her 'School' might be, still can do whatever she wants to do. Meaning, she has never been charged, officially, with anything. That is, not to my knowledge. So, how damaging is she really? Where are people accusing her unfair? Couldn't it be that we, often enough, have to deal with people picking on someone wellknown out of jealousy? Or just because they do not understand her statements about her 'condition', to give it a name?
No, I'm not a Byron Katie fan. Nor a fan of any 'guru' in particular. My interest is the truth in statements about enlightening. And because of this interest I've been reading, discussing and watching a lot of guru stuff in my life, trying to filter out the good stuff and dropping the bad.
In the case of Byron Katie I have many doubts. For instance I didn't like at all what I saw on Youtube, where she was questioning the woman from Israel. She wasn't really listening, she showed no compassion whatsoever and she was shamelessly promoting herself by looking at the crowd every minute or so with a selfconvinced Superego look that made me feel disgusted. She should have shown respect to this woman. Of course, I only saw part of the conversation, but that part was enough to make me doubt her socalled 'enlightened' state seriously.
But, as I've already said, it seems to me she's not always acting in a wrong way. And if I'm reading on this forum that at least one person has really been helped by her approach I would like to deminish all the negative stuff about her here. I would like to see a bit more of a balance in the judging. She's not all bad, in my eyes she's just one of those new age guru's aiming for profit for the most part. Thus, stay away from them, don't give them your money and don't attend expensive seminars. Just keep it with reading what they have to say and take of it whatever is good for you. That's what I'ld like to advise people.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: July 20, 2010 10:49PM

And there's another point I'lld like to make. Byron Katie, questionable as her approach of people in her 'School' might be, still can do whatever she wants to do. Meaning, she has never been charged, officially, with anything. That is, not to my knowledge. So, how damaging is she really?

"So, how damaging is she really?'

Go read the participant reports SG.

[forum.culteducation.com]

And if BK really wanted to help people, she would have used her energy and talent to go get professional training as a psychotherapist, get tested and licensed, and she'd carry insurance and be legally accountable for her work.

Here is the release of liability form posted some time back on this thread--no professional health care provider ever requires a patient or client to sign such a document. Posted February 14th 2009, by 'Garden of Even' one of the correspodants on this board.

want to share something, that Byron Katie repeated many times at the School.

-She tells something great about The Work, and in the next sentence she says "-and its not for everyone (refering to The Work)"!

Every time I picked up on that, and felt it was directed to me. I felt that all the other students "got it" and I didnt. And ofcourse I desperately wanted to "get it". I guess that I not was the only one feeling that way..

P.S I have emailed RickRoss with "release of liability" attached in a Word document. I was not able to attach it here. So now it is up to a moderator to post it (if it is possible to do it that way?)

or maybe I could try copy and paste...

THE SCHOOL FOR THE WORK WITH BYRON KATIE

RELEASE OF LIABILITY

I desire to participate in The School for The Work with Byron Katie (”The School”) for the session to be held xx date, 2005 through and including xx date, 2005, at theCrown Plaza Hotel in Los Angeles, California (“The Facilities”). My participation is voluntary. I acknowledge that I am not obligated to participate in any activity, exercise, event or outing. I acknowledge that my participation in the outings is not required to receive a diploma. If I do not wish to participate, I will advise The School. I acknowledge that the outings of The School may include transportation and that I may be a passenger in the vehicle of another or I may use my vehicle for transporting myself, other participants, and staff of The School.

The School is an educational program. It is not therapeutic in design, intent or methodology and is not a substitute for medical treatment, psychotherapy, or any health program, regardless of what you may have heard from anyone. We specifically advise you that Byron Katie is not a healthcare professional and does not supply healthcare professionals on the staff of the School.

As a material of inducement of my participation at The School, I hereby fully and completely waive and release Byron Katie International, Inc. (“BKI Inc.”) and the Facilities, and each of them, and their respective representatives, directors, officers, and employees from any and all actions, claims, demands, damages and liability for personal injuries or damages to property, which has resulted or may hereinafter result, arising, directly or indirectly, from my participation at The School or my presence at the Facilities including any emotional consequences. I hereby also agree that I and any all other legal representatives of mine, including my assignees and heirs, will not make a claim against or sue BKI Inc., the Facilities, or their respective representatives, directors, officers, and employees for any injury or damage resulting or arising, directly or indirectly, from my participation at The School.

I acknowledge that I am voluntarily assuming all risks associated with my participation at The School and voluntarily agree to accept any and all risks of injury or death and verify this statement by placing my initials below:

________
(Initials)

MEDICAL AUTHORIZATION

I acknowledge that BKI Inc. and The School do not and will not maintain medical insurance coverage should I sustain any illness or injury during my participation at The School. I represent that either I will maintain my own medical insurance policy or that I will bear all costs and expenses associated with any illness or injury which I may sustain during my participation at The School and I release BKI Inc. from any liability therefore.

I understand that if I am on medication, The School requires that I continue to take my medication during The School in accordance with my doctor’s orders. In the event of an emergency, I hereby give consent to medical treatment including contacting emergency medical personnel and facilities.

I, the undersigned registrant for The School, understand that I am engaging in a course, which may involve physical, emotional and psychological activity and that in cases of such activity there is always a risk involved. I understand that in a group workshop setting, the instructor(s) are not responsible for monitoring physical, emotional and psychological limits, or the limits of other participants, and that I am therefore responsible for assessing the risk any individual or group activity poses to me, and choosing a safe course of action for myself. I agree to completely assume the risk and responsibility for any injuries or damages suffered by me arising out of my participation in The School.

_________
(Initials)

page 2.
INTELLECTUAL PROBERTY RIGHTS

I understand that the materials for The School contain copyrighted works, trademarks, and other intellectual property. All rights are reserved. The materials for The School, or any portion thereof, may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, without the prior written consent of Byron Katie or Byron Katie Inc. Notwithstanding the above, I understand that I may make copies of these materials for my personal use only, provided that I must include the statement “Copyright 2005 Byron Katie Inc.” on each portion copied.

RELEASE OF RIGHTS FOR AUDIO AND
VIDEO RECORDING AND PHOTOGRAPHY

I acknowledge that BKI Inc. and The School may make photographs and/or audio and video recordings of the sessions of The School in which I may participate. I hereby irrevocably consent to the reproduction of my likeness and/or voice in any such photographs and/or video recordings. I grant in perpetuity an release to BKI Inc. and Byron Katie Inc. the exclusive and royalty-free rights to record, produce, distribute, sell, license to others, and to otherwise use or exploit any of such photographs and audio or video recordings, including my likeness and voice, taken of me or in which I may be included, for all purposes, including in connection with conversations, interviews, performances, speeches, and/or presentations at The School. If I do not wish to be recorded or photographed, it shall be my responsibility to advise the audio/video crew or the photographer, respectively, and they will make reasonable efforts to exclude me from any photographs and/or audio and video recordings.

REFUNDS

I understand that no refunds will be granted. If you leave during the first day of School, your money less the cost of room and board will be applied to another School to be taken within one year. If you leave the school anytime after the first full day, no refund will be granted.

I have read, understood, and agree to this Agreement.

Signature:___________________________________________________________

Printed name:____________________________________ Date:_______________

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Diploma Please PRINT clearly and legibly your name exactly as you would like it to appear on your diploma.

Printed name:_________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

page 3.
EMERGENCY MEDICAL INFORMATION
Day month xx through day, month xx, 2005 at the Crown Plaza Hotel, Los Angeles

PARTICIPANTS NAME:____________________________________________________________________
First Last

I would like The school to be aware of the following medical an mental health conditions I have:

List of medications:

Physician’s Name:_____________________________________________________
Phone Number

Psychiatrist’s/ Therapist’s Name:________________________________
Phone Number

Signature:_______________________________

Printed Name:____________________________ Date:_______

Emergency Contact (this section must be filled out):

Name:________________________________ Relationship___________

Tel.#:______________________________________________________

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2009 02:10PM by Garden of Even

Date: July 21, 2010 12:34AM

corboy

And there's another point I'lld like to make. Byron Katie, questionable as her approach of people in her 'School' might be, still can do whatever she wants to do. Meaning, she has never been charged, officially, with anything. That is, not to my knowledge. So, how damaging is she really?

"So, how damaging is she really?'

Go read the participant reports SG.

And if BK really wanted to help people, she would have used her energy and talent to go get professional training as a psychotherapist, get tested and licensed, and she'd carry insurance and be legally accountable for her work.

Here is the release of liability form posted some time back on this thread--no professional health care provider ever requires a patient or client to sign such a document. Posted February 14th 2009, by 'Garden of Even' one of the correspodants on this board.

want to share something, that Byron Katie repeated many times at the School.

-She tells something great about The Work, and in the next sentence she says "-and its not for everyone (refering to The Work)"!

Every time I picked up on that, and felt it was directed to me. I felt that all the other students "got it" and I didnt. And ofcourse I desperately wanted to "get it". I guess that I not was the only one feeling that way.. [/unquote]

Yes, you're right at this point. Byron Katie's schools are not the place to be. I've read some participant reports, maybe not all of them, but what I've read was enough to write in my post that I don't approve of her 'turn-around' business. But maybe I haven't been explicit enough on this point. This whole 'turn-around' stuff is tricky business and for vulnerable people it can be flat out dangerous, certainly when they suffer from troublesome mental conditions. That's why I have stated in the last part of my posting that, in my opinion, people should stay away from new age guru's like her and they should not attend their expensive seminars. For most people it's just not good, as this story of 'Garden of Even' very clearly proves.

So on this point we seem to agree. If you think not, just tell me.
Now we get to my question: 'So, how damaging is she really?' I asked this because I have, to this point, not heard or read about any lawsuit against her. I wondered how this could be, when, on the other hand, there are those alarming participant reports. Why hadn't anybody started a case against her? This was kind of strange to me. What could be the case here? What was the truth about Byron Katie?

And now I've read this. This 'release of liability. (thank you for re-posting) And that illuminates the case very differently. I mean, really... This is an unbelievable, two-faced kind of a contract I cannot imagine I would ever sign. Just look at this:

As a material of inducement of my participation at The School, I hereby fully and completely waive and release Byron Katie International, Inc. (“BKI Inc.”) and the Facilities, and each of them, and their respective representatives, directors, officers, and employees from any and all actions, claims, demands, damages and liability for personal injuries or damages to property, which has resulted or may hereinafter result, arising, directly or indirectly, from my participation at The School or my presence at the Facilities including any emotional consequences. I hereby also agree that I and any all other legal representatives of mine, including my assignees and heirs, will not make a claim against or sue BKI Inc., the Facilities, or their respective representatives, directors, officers, and employees for any injury or damage resulting or arising, directly or indirectly, from my participation at The School.

I acknowledge that I am voluntarily assuming all risks associated with my participation at The School and voluntarily agree to accept any and all risks of injury or death and verify this statement by placing my initials below:... [/unquote]

In my opinion this should be enough to make none of the participants to be ever really give their initials. I think I would pack my suitcase and run. This is not normal. This is criminal.
But sad fact is, that people appearantly do sign these contracts before attending Byron Katie's schools... It's almost inconceivable...

Now that I've read this, I've been reading some more about this develish kind of paper and why people are signing it and that makes me feel as powerless as in the days I saw one of my closest friends join the community of (tnow the late) Adi Da, formerly known as Da Free John. I had read the same books from this guru as he had, I had watched the same video's, I had even been to the same introduction event in the Netherlands to see what it was all about. Well I went home knowing for myself that this guru, like so many others, was bad news, but my friend signed up for everything. I could talk with him for days and nights trying to prevent it, he stayed with his concusion that he was going to become a devotee. It must have been that he, just like so many people in the case of Byron Katie, must have believed in such a way that this guru was the answer to his problems, that he became blinded to his own better judgement.

Based on this criminal contract I dare to say here that Byron Katie should be charged, arrested and judged. And why seems this not to be happening? Only because people have signed this bloody paper? Again, this is unconceivable. I mean, a crime is a crime. Does this signing give Byron Katie enough protection to stay free from charges? Is that how American law works? I really don't understand...

Can you give me any explanation in this direction? I would be very grateful, since I have no knowledge of the American law.

Posted by: margarets ()
Date: July 21, 2010 01:05AM

skepticGranny, you wrote:

And if I'm reading on this forum that at least one person has really been helped by her approach I would like to deminish all the negative stuff about her here. I would like to see a bit more of a balance in the judging. She's not all bad, in my eyes she's just one of those new age guru's aiming for profit for the most part. Thus, stay away from them, don't give them your money and don't attend expensive seminars. Just keep it with reading what they have to say and take of it whatever is good for you. That's what I'ld like to advise people.

The problem with the "if one person has been helped" approach is that it's used to justify some truly evil damage to others, possibly thousands of others. Well and good for the one person who was helped, but tough luck for everyone else? The others were just, what, a necessary sacrifice? That's a pretty sick morality.

As for the "if you don't like it, stay away from them" comment, the problem is that groups like these (BK et al) offer one thing and deliver another. The old bait-and-switch. If people knew what they were really going to get, they would stay away. But they are deceived and manipulated. When they eventually figure out the truth, they may have been bled dry.

The point of all this cult education information is help people avoid getting bled dry, because it's wrong.

Date: July 21, 2010 11:17PM

SG, what do you want here?

And despite saying Dutch is your first language and English your second language, your English does seem quite good.

First, this is like a library. Librarians dont do people's homework for them. They help
provide research facilities.

Then its up to you to sit down read whats there and come to your own conclusions.

No one else can do that for you.

Two, its not up to us to tell you how American law works.

If you want to figure out American law applies to that document, go talk to a lawyer or take some classes on your own time.

Now...if you're writing out a liablity form for use in the Netherlands, you will have to hire an attorney or solicitor knowledable about that sort of law.

And remember--no mental health professional or physician would want clients or patients to sign such paperwork.

And those are not the sorts of people who are healers, not even if they claim to be healers. They are business people.

And, your saying people should 'stay away' from BK?

First, it puts the blame on the victim if something goes wrong.

Two, staying away isnt so easy. BK gets her disciples all fired up and then they go out and recruit.

And some of these recruiters behave as vultures do--they go after people who are faltering, not after people who are happy and healthy.

I was in a vulnerable moment at a 12 step meeting, I got rather weepy and a Byron Katie loyalist followed me afterward and urged me to go to one of BK's events. She didnt do this when I was reporting an episode in which I mastered something and felt powerful. She went after me on me when I felt sad.

I already knew about BK and said no.

But..lots of people do notn ot know about BK and let themselves be persuaded.

A friend at that meeting later told me this Byron Katie recruiter had tried this on other people at that same meeting. I might note that in 12 Step meetings you are never supposed to use that situation to recruit. But too often the rule is broken and most dont feel able to speak out.)

And they know to go after that large portion of the population that is in pain, has money or credit. Some are clever enough to do this at 12 step meetings, where large concentrations of vulnerable persons are likely to meet. Twelve Step tradition states that one is not supposed to use the meetings to prosyletize or recruit, but this is too often ignored.

Next, Byron Katie does not mention up front that she has been in this business for years and has changed her story over the years.

She wrote other books (Cry in the Desert, Losing the Moon) earlier in her career that said nothing about the cockroach moment. Those books are now scarce and expensive, but they demonstrate BK changed her story over the years. (A genuine Buddhist doesnt do that)

Her devotees get all excited and urge their friends to attend.

Its hard to say no to a friend and thats what makes it hard to 'stay away'.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2010 11:42PM by corboy.

Date: July 22, 2010 03:20AM

What I want here, corboy, is get information about Byron Katie and her Work, because she, the condition she claims to be in and the method she has developed interests me. But, because I know, out of my own experiences, that you better be careful with guru’s, specially very successful and moneymaking guru’s, I try to gather as much information about her as I can. I’m trying to get an idea that is as realistic as it can be. And why? I was planning to get in touch with one of her Dutch representatives, because the Work seemed to have some value for me personally. I’m trying to find out now what is likely to expect .

Now reading things here and talk to people here on this board to make things more clearly seemed a good way to be getting to know more about Byron Katie and her practices. But to be honest, I’m beginning to think that maybe it’s not. I’m beginning to feel a bit uneasy, like I’m not really welcome here, for whatever reason, even somehow distrusted.

But thank you for the compliment that my English is quite good. And yes, I’m really Dutch. Of course you have to believe me on my word, but what can I do? It’s just the way it is.

Now About Byron Katie’s School contract and the American law. I don’t expect you to know how that exactly works. I don’t know myself how Dutch law exactly works,. I’m not a lawyer. What I hoped was that you would know something I don’t know, namely if Byron Katie has ever been charged for anything. And that for the same reason as already described: gathering information. Any charges made against her would certainly add to my cautiousness.

Furthermore, thank you for sharing your own experiences with Byron Katie and her representatives. And I’m sorry for you, and the other people, having been approached in such a way while being in a very vulnerable state. Another reason for me to think twice about my plan to get in touch with anyone of her co-workers here.

Then this point of own responsibility. A complicated subject. But this is not a thread about responsibility, so I cannot say too much about this. I have to keep it to own responsibility and the practices of Byron Katie.

The way she, or whoever advised her on this point, has constructed that School contract is very, very clever. She explicitly mentions the fact that she is not a professional doctor, psychologist or whatever. This way, if you sign, she can always say that you, yourself, are to blame for whatever negative thing has happened to you in her School . Same goes for that promise you have to make to never officially blaming her or accusing her for anything that happened in that School. Signing that awful contract makes you a victim. Literally. So don’t sign. Never sign a contract like that.

But of course, you’re right, that’s easy to say as an outsider, reading this in the safety of his/her own home far away from Byron Katie and her practices. It’s an entirely different story if you have already given your money, made the expensive journey to the School and are standing at the very location, just before the School will start. To NOT sign in that situation is so difficult, that not many people will make that choice. I can imagine that very well.
Because first of all you will have to confront Byron Katie and her staff with it. And after that you will have to deal with your feelings of disappointment, plus that your hopes are gone, your money is wasted, your time and effort are wasted and what will people say? Your friends? Your family? Your colleagues at work?

It’s almost an impossible choice to make and, no doubt, Byron Katie knows that. Again, she is a very shrewd woman. I found out when I read that contract. And at this point my question arose: How in the world can she get away with this? Has there been nobody charging her at some point afterwards? Is that promise that you signed enough to protect her from being prosecuted? For any damage she has caused? I really couldn’t grasp that and I still can’t.

Finally, about Cry in the Desert. I´ve read it. I owe it. I bought it ten years ago and have been reading it again recently, because I wanted to find out how I thought about it now. Well, worse then when I read it the first time. Personally I think it´s an annoyingly sweet/talk New Age product full of Katie admiring. But it had and still has some interesting parts for me. Anyway, about that cockroach story that you think is not a part of this book. Actually, it is. Part one, at the beginning of chapter 4.

I have been downloading her book Losing the Moon, so I will read that shortly. I´m curious what she had to say about Hitler.

Well, I hope I’ve given you some answers now about me and my motives. I just want to find out the truth about Byron Katie for as far as I’m able to find that out.

Date: July 22, 2010 11:51PM

If you want help, go see a licensed psychotherapist who has accepted accountablity for his or her work.

If you go to anyone else, whether its BK or someone else, you're entrusting your inner life to a business person.

Someone who wants to be a healer will do what is necessary to go to school, learn the difference between helpful methods and stuff that is placebo effect and marketed by charismatic sales people.

And a real healer will also be part of a network of colleagues and do legally mandated continuing education.

And the watch word of the professional is, being aware he or she cannot help everbody, knowing when to refer someone to another colleague and also carrying liablity insurance.

If you go outside this, you're walking into an area where there are no safety nets.

If someone has the energy to market themselves as aggressively as BK does, why hasnt she used her energy to go to school and get professional training as a therapist and accept rsponsibility for her work by carrying liablity insurance the way thousands of other therapists and physicians do--and without complaint?

There are many pages of information here and its up to you to read them and come to your own conclusion.

Date: July 23, 2010 12:03AM

Then this point of own responsibility. A complicated subject. But this is not a thread about responsibility, so I cannot say too much about this. I have to keep it to own responsibility and the practices of Byron Katie.

This thread is about responsiblity, particularly the responsiblities of people using powerful methods of social influence to target vulnerable people and who are not trained as professionals.

Finally, about Cry in the Desert. I´ve read it. I owe it. I bought it ten years ago and have been reading it again recently, because I wanted to find out how I thought about it now. Well, worse then when I read it the first time. Personally I think it´s an annoyingly sweet/talk New Age product full of Katie admiring. But it had and still has some interesting parts for me. Anyway, about that cockroach story that you think is not a part of this book. Actually, it is. Part one, at the beginning of chapter 4.

I have been downloading her book Losing the Moon, so I will read that shortly. I´m curious what she had to say about Hitler.

Well, I hope I’ve given you some answers now about me and my motives. I just want to find out the truth about Byron Katie for as far as I’m able to find that out.

So...you've by your own statement done more reading on BK than most of us have ever done.

And you're still interested in her despite having read this stuff and knowing she's changed her marketing angle.

Since you're still interested in someone like BK, nothing we can do can apparently change your mind.

So, what do you want from this thread?

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: July 23, 2010 06:22AM

To whom it may concern:

skepticGranny has been banned from this message board.

Her last post was not approved and was little more than an effort to subvert this thread in my opinion.

This thread seems to attract trolls.

Date: July 24, 2010 12:55AM

On his website, Professor Steve Dutch, a geologist, wrote this:

What evidence would it take to prove your beliefs wrong?

I simply will not reply to challenges that do not address this question.

Refutability is one of the classic determinants of whether a theory can be called scientific.

Moreover, I have found it to be a great general-purpose cut-through-the-crap question to determine whether somebody is interested in serious intellectual inquiry or just playing mind games. Note, by the way, that I am assuming the burden of proof here - all you have to do is commit to a criterion for testing.

It's easy to criticize science for being "closed-minded".

Are you open-minded enough to consider whether your ideas might be wrong?

Here is another way to put it.

The Null Hypothesis.

[www.null-hypothesis.co.uk]

let’s say you have some rather exciting ideas about why you seem to lose socks at an astonishing rate. Maybe, you hypothesise, aliens are beaming down to steal one sock out of every pair you own.

Hypothesis: the loss of my socks is due to alien burglary.

In order to test whether your hypothesis is true or not, you have to carry out some research to see if you can back it up. So you set up a hi-tech alien detection system and record whether times of alien activity are correlated with when your socks go missing.

See Full Diagram
However, when you get your results, it’s possible that any relationship that appears in your data was produced by random chance.

Null Hypothesis: the loss of my socks is nothing to do with alien burglary.
Alternate Hypothesis: the loss of my socks is due to alien burglary.

The next step is to compare these two alternatives using the magic of… (cue dramatic music)… statistics.

In statistics, the only way of supporting your hypothesis is to refute the null hypothesis.

Rather than trying to prove your idea (the alternate hypothesis) right you must show that the null hypothesis is likely to be wrong – you have to ‘refute’ or ‘nullify’ the null hypothesis.

Unfortunately you have to assume that your alternate hypothesis is wrong until you find evidence to the contrary. so its until proven guilty for the aliens.

*Corboy note: this is why Professor Dutch's question is so very important--are you capable of facing the possiblity that something you want to believe could be proved wrong?

Without that willingness, you're not in the right mindset to set out and test a null hypotheis.

So, if someone wants to believe their favorite high priced guru helps people, that person had better be able to admit that its possible to prove that

1) Null Hypothesis: Your beloved high priced guru has no effect at all and that those persons reporting relief are doing so because its random chance- or placebo effect.

If we evaluate Byron Katie's claims using Null Hypothesis, we do not start by assuming that people report feeling better because Byron Katies method's have healed them.

We start by assuming that whats making people feel better is random change in their moods or placebo effect.

We also test to see if other, existing methods are as good or better than than anything Byron Katie is producing and whether these carry less risk and are cheaper than what she charges.

So, the burden of proof is on Byron Katie and her supporters, not on this message board.

Troll count from last year on just this thread

Daphne, Anticultist, ralpher, Randomstu, prsp (or something like that)
Ex Scientology Kid, cultcity and Idunno.

In additon there are:

golfer6716
eduardo
Jon Willis
al3r
Gee
screddy57
Remi
douglas_goodall

To this glorious list we can, just from this past week, add skeptical republican, Kassy and Anatta

I have zero respect for any guru or 'healer' whose devotees generate such a high pattern of troll activity.

And, a wee message to the trolls:

Does your spouse, boyfriend/girlfriend or your parents know what you are doing with your with your computer?

If you are doing this from work or from a student account, does your employer or your university know you're doing all this with their system?

If any of them walked in and saw this, would you feel able to show them?

Or would you hit the 'minimize' button on your screen so you could hide it?

Following this The Anticult posted;

, all of the main posters and readers here believe in freedom of speech, of course. That is what it is all about, REAL freedom of mind.
And it appears everyone would also agree that the public has the right to have all the facts on the table, from all sides of the issues, so as an adult they can carefully make up their own minds, and make good decisions.

but at the same time, if a few trolls have figured out a way to game the system, to just keep slipping through random junk as a type of smokescreen, that is different.
And these threads can be very helpful to people coming out of the cultic enmeshments, so there has to be the ability to keep things on track.
The title above says Cult Education Forum, not Disinformation & Confusion Induction Forum.

Its very very interesting how the Byron Katie system, attracts so many of these internet Trolls?

For example, there is an SGI thread [forum.culteducation.com] where there really hasn't been any serious trolling to speak of.

But the Byron Katie system is very different, of course.
Very aggressive, very passive-aggressive, very hostile, and the #1 trait is DECEPTION. Such incredible levels of deception attempted, almost universally. There was ONE BK person in the thread, who had donated 10 grand or something to BK, and that person seemed honest and straight-up. Basically all the rest have been so incredibly dishonest.
So that is a good object lesson.

That is something else to be examined...what is it in the Byron Katie Work, that carries such intense passive aggressive hostility, deception, and nastiness?
It seems to come from the top, the leaders will kick someone in the teeth, figuratively, and then surround it with fake love-bombing...like fire people, and then say..."hugs and kisses".

There are some back-channel unpublished emails from The Big Cheeses, and they have these hostile humilations and kicks in them, often in a form of double-entrendre, double-meaning.

It will be interesting to try and figure out where that hostility comes from...is there a type of Fair Game mentality, where anything goes?

Is it because the deep BK-ers, really believe there is no such thing as "reality", so there is no such thing as lying? So they can say anything?

Is it because The Work is based on screwing with people's sense of reality?
Something to look into.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2010 01:22AM by corboy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.