Re: Byron Katie (the Work) and Eckhart Tolle Legit??
Posted by: southdakotaboy ()
Date: July 08, 2010 12:22PM

Thank You
Searching for a method that does not invalidate the bulk of the new age culture. The book I have studied and practiced with good heart is Full Catastrophe Living by Jon Kabat-Zinn. It is The program of the stress reduction clinic at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center. The point is not that this is the end all but integrating the establishment with a very important group with options.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: July 09, 2010 04:24AM

To whom it may concern:

dsm has been banned from this message board.

Rick Ross
www.culteducation.com

Posted by: southdakotaboy ()
Date: July 09, 2010 09:25AM

Please explain dsm getting banned, was it behind the scene, was there a lesson for others to learn?

Date: July 09, 2010 09:13PM

southdakotaboy:

dsm violated the rules, which she agreed to before posting here.

Specifically, she used the board to attack people personally and generally seemed to be more interested in starting and/or feeding arguments than anything else.

Posted by: skepticGranny ()
Date: July 19, 2010 04:44PM

The Anticult
....This book teaches us how to think, and by doing so can keep us out of these traps. Its not about cults per se, its about how to evaluate reality, and about 100 other things. Its wonderfully written, and may be one of the best books I have ever read on this subject. The book is like an entire course in critical intelligence, truly wonderful. Its a shame Carl Sagan died too early.

The Demon-Haunted World by Carl Sagan

Since a couple of days I'm reading this forum about Byron Katie and Eckhart Tolle. And like everything that's written I read things I agree with and things I do not agree with. But this tip is a good one and I thank you for posting it. I always try to look at issues from all directions, pro and against, and this book seems to add to this way of considering. Of course, I will be reading this book with the same critical look as I do the books of, for example, people claiming to be enlightened, but who knows it's telling me something new. Thanks again.

Date: July 19, 2010 04:58PM

vlinden
...But the One has divided, and in our division we live, we love, and we suffer. And that is life. When we die perhaps we'll return to the One, but for now we cannot separate ourselves from our minds, our egos, our rationality, and attempting to do so causes more hurt than good. People can even go mad trying. This is not healing, it's delusion.

Would you be so kind to explain what you're trying to say here? That you do not believe enlightenment is possible? Because, when that is so, what do you think of, for example, Buddha's statement in that direction? (No, I'm not a Buddhist. I'm not a member of any church, for that matter).

Date: July 19, 2010 08:52PM

skepticGranny:

Please try to stay on topic.

This thread is about Byron Kate and Eckhart Tolle, not the general subject of "enlightenment."

Preaching is also against the rules you agreed to before posting here.

Date: July 19, 2010 09:45PM

rrmoderator
skepticGranny:

Please try to stay on topic.

This thread is about Byron Kate and Eckhart Tolle, not the general subject of "enlightenment."

Preaching is also against the rules you agreed to before posting here.

The first remark about staying on topic makes sense to me. But the second remark raises a question mark. I understand preaching as an attempt to persuade people to take on a certain believe, namely the believe the preacher promotes. As I really want to understand your remark, can you tell me where I am doing that here? I'm quoting vlinden, who seems to explain her/his vision of "the One" as being different from what Byron Katie (in vlindens opinion) tells us about it. Now before I can react on this, I'm asking vlinden what he/she reailly means to say. Because I don't want to mistake people's words, because I don't want to jump to conclusions. If that is preaching, then maybe we've got a different onderstanding of the word?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2010 10:13PM by skepticGranny.

Date: July 20, 2010 02:27AM

To whom it may concern:

skepticGranny says she is quitting the message board.

Perhaps I was a bit tough on skepticGranny, but this thread has had so many trolls.

Date: July 20, 2010 02:01PM

rrmoderator
To whom it may concern:

skepticGranny says she is quitting the message board.

Perhaps I was a bit tough on skepticGranny, but this thread has had so many trolls.

Thank you Rick for explaining. Now I understand better why you felt the urge to warn me. So for now there's no need anymore to quit this board.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.