Re: Byron Katie (the Work) and Eckhart Tolle Legit??
Posted by: dsm ()
Date: June 29, 2010 11:17PM

Lauren,
what makes you believe we do not understand the things we criticize?

Criticism is not hatred. It is looking at something and seeing what is wrong with it, what can be fixed or thrown out, etc. We all take as much criticism as we give. In fact, criticism is the opposite of hate because it shows we care enough about something to want to pay attention and make it right and we care enough about people to want to help them get through whatever struggle they are having. We want to help everyone make sense of everything.

People who are happy with what they are doing do not even seek out a cult-fighting forum. They don't ask for help.

All the criticism in the world cannot and will not change what people want to do. They will do what they want, anyway.

So: Don't worry. Be Happy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: helpme2times ()
Date: June 29, 2010 11:58PM

dsm
Lauren,
what makes you believe we do not understand the things we criticize?

Criticism is not hatred. It is looking at something and seeing what is wrong with it, what can be fixed or thrown out, etc. We all take as much criticism as we give. In fact, criticism is the opposite of hate because it shows we care enough about something to want to pay attention and make it right and we care enough about people to want to help them get through whatever struggle they are having. We want to help everyone make sense of everything.

People who are happy with what they are doing do not even seek out a cult-fighting forum. They don't ask for help.

All the criticism in the world cannot and will not change what people want to do. They will do what they want, anyway.

So: Don't worry. Be Happy.
I think that was beautifully stated, DSM. Thanks.

Posted by: Splash90 ()
Date: June 30, 2010 02:22AM

Today I was browsing around reading the Participant Reports links, and came across this comment about Oprah:

At 4/16/2008 6:39 AM, Anonymous said...
One thing regarding Katie's hookup with Oprah (and Tolle's): Oprah has a way of tearing through ideas and pulling her followers along with her, skimming off the top layer and then racing on to the next thing... leaving a "burnt field" of "been there/done that" behind her. One year it's "relationships- lite", the next year it's "taking care of your body-lite", the next year it's "spirituality-lite". It would appear to be a mixed blessing to take up with Oprah. Did anyone read Oprah's interview with Pema Chodron in "O" Magazine? I did...at the dentist's office. It was a real piece of fluff...an even further dumbing down of Chodron's already watered-down presentation of Buddhism. People have said to me, "well, you have to present these ideas in ways that don't 'frighten' people". Uh, I'm not too sure about that. I think the theory is that people will get "seduced" into a deeper level. Sounds fishy to me.

[guruphiliac.blogspot.com]

dsm
Splash90, everyone who picks up that magazine should break out in a rash! **LOL** Seriously, Oprah ought to just re-name it "Cult of the Month Club".......

Although she did give us Dr. Phil, so she's can't be all bad....

Date: June 30, 2010 03:07AM

Well, I was being sarcastic..... I do like Dr Phil for one thing: sometimes it is therapeutic to imagine him confronting some of the people who push your buttons in life, especially the old culties.

Date: June 30, 2010 03:12AM

Every month he has a script for someone who needs to set a boundary. I love 'em! The boundaries are usually pretty strict too, moreso than most people would think was 'acceptable' for family members. "But they're family!!" Phil's response: "family-schmamly..." YEA!

I don't watch TV - just DVDs - and I've never seen Phil's show but I have caught glimpses of other talk shows while in waiting rooms or hotels. My favorite talk-show guy is Montel. EVERYTHING he says to the people on his show is EXACTLY what I would want to say to them.

I just thought that was a very interesting commentary on Oprah... She offers "[insert life issue here]-Lite." Never thought of it that way but it makes sense. Maybe because I was in a cult for 15 years, I think a lot of stuff in her magazine is deep and helpful but maybe to most people it's very basic and simplistic. Hmm. (or, that commentator is just an expert in social issues and therefore more educated and picky than the rest of us in those topics.)

dsm
Well, I was being sarcastic..... I do like Dr Phil for one thing: sometimes it is therapeutic to imagine him confronting some of the people who push your buttons in life, especially the old culties.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2010 03:14AM by Splash90.

Date: June 30, 2010 03:14AM

Here is my guru:

[www.mangydog.com]

Date: June 30, 2010 03:19AM

ROFLOL!!

They make about as much sense as BK, but are a LOT funnier. Just like the wonderful quotes from MY guru, the Sleep Talking Man:

[sleeptalkinman.blogspot.com]

Some of the insults he comes up with in his sleep are priceless and highly appropriate for use on old culties. Oooo like this one from just last night!!

"Christ, I'd rather be afflicted with permanently infected hairy arse grapes than be subjected to another minute of your drivel."

OH, and here's one that he said yesterday that cult leaders would really like:

"You're so generous. Don't you ever stop giving things.... to me. Give me everything."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2010 03:22AM by Splash90.

Re: Byron Katie(the Work) sexual abuse, incest, denial, false memories FMS
Date: July 01, 2010 11:24PM

The Anticult
Byron Katies so-called "Four Questions" are about as harmless as a spiderweb is to a fly.
Its a trick.

And Byron Katie even says...come into my parlor...said the spider to the fly...then she laughs...

Byron Katie (the Work) and The Work on The Web, The Spider and the Fly
[forum.culteducation.com]

Hey Anticult - I hadn't read that link to your post on the other thread till now. BRILLIANT!! How you figured out that she's directly referencing the poem "The Spider and the Fly." "Come into my parlor," "the Work on the WEB"... wow. I wish I'd read that poem as a kid.

"Unto an evil counsellor close heart, and ear, and eye,
And take a lesson from this tale of the Spider and the Fly."

An EVIL COUNSELOR. Not just an evil person, but a COUNSELOR. Which is what BK sets herself up as.

OK let's all raise the dough to have Anticult go to BK's School. And then in the criticism session, read this poem out loud for everyone there and then scream "get out while you can!" and run out the door. HA HA!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2010 11:31PM by Splash90.

Posted by: margarets ()
Date: July 05, 2010 11:30PM

Just an example of how this BK/ET nonsense is infiltrating the (supposedly) qualified community of professional mental health practitioners. Scary.

[www.ocswssw.org]

Posted by: Stoic ()
Date: July 06, 2010 01:09AM

I think it a shame that these mainstream social workers appear to be endorsing some of Tolle's work but mindfulness meditation, when properly and ethically taught in conjunction with the development of critical thinking, can be very beneficial in allowing the meditator to gain some understanding of the workings of his own mind.

I understand that Kabat Zinn has worked for many years in clinical situations and has subjected his work to the usual rigours of peer review and assessment.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.