Re: Byron Katie (the Work) and Consumer Reports
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: May 03, 2009 12:59AM

speaking of the ShamWow rag sham...which is similar to the Byron Katie Story sham...except that the ShamWow actually holds more water than the BK fairy Stories and fairy tales...

Consumer Reports explains how the claims for the ShamWow rag are a sham. [www.brandfreak.com]
Where are the Consumer Reports for Byron Katie LGAT seminar claims? right here!

Byron Katie and "The Work" Participant Reports
[forum.culteducation.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Byron Katie, Stephen Mitchell, Grace Unfolding, Plagiarism?
Posted by: helpme2times ()
Date: May 03, 2009 07:17AM

The Anticult
Cruz
A friend of mine who frequently visits Byron Katie’s Institute For The Work Forum brought the following to my attention. A few days ago someone quoted some info from your site regarding the true origin of Byron Katie’s ‘Tao book’. This contribution turned out to be the last entry on the ‘open’ forum. About an hour later the forum was closed “in order to better serve" the visitors.
Here a link to the post about [forum.culteducation.com]
Grace Unfolding: Psychotherapy in the Spirit of Tao-te ching by Greg Johanson, Ronald S. Kurtz
[www.amazon.com]

That sounds like someone hit a nerve, with another "book burning" incident, where the facts of reality have to be disappeared.
They are truly terrified of objective facts and reality.
There are also terrified, people would read the thread.

That post slipped by, but needs a closer look.
Someone could compare the books side by side, and see how exactly they match.
The format of and idea for ‘Tao living in Harmony with the way things are’ is in no way originating from Byron Katie and/or Stephen Mitchell. In 1991, a book by Greg Johanson and Ron Kurtz called 'Psychotherapy in the spirit of the Tao-te ching' was published by Bell Tower (it was reprinted by Random House in 1994). It’s a book on the subject of psychotherapy that’s been described as a recommended read for therapists and anyone in therapy who’s interested in spirituality. Stephen Mitchell knows this book by Johanson and Kurtz very well, since his translation of the ‘Tao-te Ching’ is used in it. After the publication of the Johanson/Kurtz book, Mitchell’s translation started selling and the Johanson/Kurtz book thereupon formed the exact outline for his and Byron Katie’s rewrite, published under 'their own title', ‘A Thousand Names for Joy: Tao living in Harmony with the way things are’.

Reference:
[www.amazon.com]
Grace Unfolding: Psychotherapy in the Spirit of Tao-te ching (Paperback)
by Greg Johanson (Author), Ronald S. Kurtz

Paperback: 160 pages
Publisher: Harmony/Bell Tower (February 15, 1994)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0517881306
I've just gotten hold of a copy of the above-mentioned book, Grace Unfolding: Psychotherapy in the Spirit of the Tao-te ching by Greg Johanson and Ron Kurtz.

Before I weigh in on it, I want to reiterate one of the things said of this book in the quote above (bold emphasis is mine):

"After the publication of the Johanson/Kurtz book, Mitchell’s translation started selling and the Johanson/Kurtz book thereupon formed the exact outline for his and Byron Katie’s rewrite, published under 'their own title', ‘A Thousand Names for Joy: Tao living in Harmony with the way things are’."

This sure seems to be the case. The 1991 Johanson/Kurtz book begins each chapter with a quote from the Tao-te ching and then comments on the quote. (The book uses several versions of the Lao Tzu classic; one of the versions is a translation by Stephen Mitchell.)

A Thousand Names For Joy also begins each chapter with a Tao Te Ching quote (from Mitchell's version, naturally) and then expands upon it.

There's a shade of difference... in the Katie/Mitchell book, they use many more quotes from the Lao Tzu classic and therefore there are many more chapters. One other thing they do is intersperse several Byron Katie "Work" dialogues within the rest of the text.

Other than that, the format is the same...

The first chapter of A Thousand Names For Joy kicks off with "The tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao."
The first chapter of Grace Unfolding starts off with "Naming... The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao..."

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2009 07:21AM by helpme2times.

Re: Byron Katie (the Work), "A Thousand Names For Joy", Story Telling
Posted by: Jay Cruise ()
Date: May 05, 2009 02:39AM

helpme2times
Maybe I made the error because I am so used to skimming Byron Katie written material, so that I won't feel like I am about to fall into a spell from the hypnotic writing. (That is my definite experience of her writing.)

You're not alone there. I skim too. I actually had to debrief myself a few times when she had my head spinning.

And, for the most part, it's not worth patiently waiting for her to make a point that never arrives.

Re: Byron Katie (the Work), "A Thousand Names For Joy", Story Telling
Date: May 05, 2009 10:09AM

Jay Cruise
You're not alone there. I skim too. I actually had to debrief myself a few times when she had my head spinning.

And, for the most part, it's not worth patiently waiting for her to make a point that never arrives.
I've finished skimming through all of "A Thousand Names For Joy". I did my best to count up all the STORIES in the book.

Here is how many STORIES I counted: 73.

There could be more than that.

That's A LOT OF STORIES!

Sample stories recounted:
~How the book came to be written
~BK's sons fighting
~A rattlesnake in the desert
~Leaving purse in a restaurant
~Having cancer
~Birth of granddaughter
~Ants in salad
~A burglary

I've decided that keeping one's stories is a form of "loving what is". :-)

Re: Byron Katie (the Work) and Mental Illness
Date: May 06, 2009 01:13AM

A reminder about why I am posting here in this thread on Byron Katie, whose "Work" has promised "an end to suffering"...

Reports such as the following thankfully kept me from enrolling in Byron Katie's "school:

[[url=http://forum.culteducation.com/read.php?4,9147,53392#msg-53392]Rick Ross Forum Report re Byron Katie's School[/url]]

[[url=http://guruphiliac.lefora.com/2009/03/23/byron-katies-school-for-the-work-march-09/page1/]Byron Katie's School for the Work - March '09[/url]]

I know this has been quoted before, but I feel a need to highlight it again (the entire quote can be found at the second link above):

...there were a remarkable number of people who were obviously mentally ill. Depression and Anxiety (Social phobias, Specific phobias, Generalized Anxiety, etc.) were to be expected, as were a fine spread of the more benign Personality Disorders (Obsessive-Compulsive, Hystrionic, Dependent were all well-represented). And there were participants with milder forms of Impulse Control Disorders (ADD/ADHD and hypomania). But there were also a scattering of the scarier Personality Disorders (Anti-Social, Paranoid, Schizoid and Schizotypal). Bipolar I and II, while not admitted, were apparent. And there was undoubtedly a few people who were hallucinating, delusional, or delirious.

I'd have thought Katie would have screened more carefully to reduce her liability in these cases, but she actually seemed to welcome the more severely disturbed. I was aware that no deliberate or careful screening of mental and physical problems appeared in on-line registration. Signing up involved giving demographic info, sending money that would not be refunded, and not much else. We were not asked about diagnosis or medication until we arrived...a bit too late to shoo away people who had come from all over the world. And there was that Surrender exercise at the beginning, where the message was very mixed: give us your supplements, vitamins, medications you don't really need (as if the truly sick could make that decision well) AND if you are prescribed meds, you should take them. Several people gave up prescribed sleep medications and anxiolytics and this was applauded with comment from Katie, "If you can't sleep at night, contact the staff member on call and they will sit with you. If you experience discomfort, do it here in the room with us during the day. If you have to sleep, do that here, too." It didn't take long before moaning, crying, agitated behaviors were the norm in the room well before fasting and 15-hour days of intense emotional work took their toll. And most staff and participants just left the suffering alone, ignored it or staffed it by listening to the sufferer do The Work again and again. Some people cried off and on throughout the entire school. Often people were crying so hard or were so anxious, they could not be understood when they took the microphone and tried to tell their experience. And sharing those experiences was an expectation. If you hadn't taken the mike yet, staff asked you why. I'm unclear on this, but I believe one repeater either had to go the mental hospital during this school or had done so in a previous school. In other words, the mentally ill and the neurotic, alike, decompensated and this was encouraged under the philosophy of The School.
This report is very recent, from March 2009. Mental illness is NOT something untrained people should be messing around with.

Re: Byron Katie (the Work) and Twitter
Date: May 12, 2009 09:52PM

Byron Katie's all a-twitter!

What I mean is... Byron Katie has joined the world of Twitter, as of 3-22-09.

Here is Byron Katie's first tweet:

am holding grand, grand daughter Marley!
Just walked out of the last session of the School
for The Work and there she was, waiting for me
What a surprise... BK's very first tweet makes sure to mention her School.

Her second tweet is another barely disguised advertisement for The Work.

Her third tweet marks the first of MANY links to audio bytes of BK.

Looks like it's time to pull out my can of Raid and spray for roaches.

[[url=http://www.killsbugsdead.com/roach-killer/]Raid Max Roach Killer[/url]]

Re: Byron Katie, Stephen Mitchell, Grace Unfolding
Date: May 13, 2009 03:30AM

helpme2times
The format of and idea for ‘Tao living in Harmony with the way things are’ is in no way originating from Byron Katie and/or Stephen Mitchell. In 1991, a book by Greg Johanson and Ron Kurtz called 'Psychotherapy in the spirit of the Tao-te ching' was published by Bell Tower (it was reprinted by Random House in 1994). It’s a book on the subject of psychotherapy that’s been described as a recommended read for therapists and anyone in therapy who’s interested in spirituality. Stephen Mitchell knows this book by Johanson and Kurtz very well, since his translation of the ‘Tao-te Ching’ is used in it. After the publication of the Johanson/Kurtz book, Mitchell’s translation started selling and the Johanson/Kurtz book thereupon formed the exact outline for his and Byron Katie’s rewrite, published under 'their own title', ‘A Thousand Names for Joy: Tao living in Harmony with the way things are’.

Reference:
[www.amazon.com]
Grace Unfolding: Psychotherapy in the Spirit of Tao-te ching (Paperback)
by Greg Johanson (Author), Ronald S. Kurtz
I just picked up the Grace Unfolding book again, and randomly opened it up to p. 38.

The chapter beginning on p. 38 is called "Empowering".

A really interesting quote from that chapter:

...Lao Tzu says that when the sage is at work, people will say, 'we did it ourselves' (Chan). This is empowerment. Who is it who looks inside herself, explores the mystery, suspends old reactions, experiences the pain, and explores integrating new ways of being into her everyday world? Who else but the client. The therapist is blessed by being a witness, by carrying the water, by celebrating the new birth. It is enough. That task is done. It is time to withdraw. Anything else will sow confusion and induce a sticky, harmful dependence.
(bold emphasis is mine)

Re: Byron Katie (the Work) and Eckhart Tolle Legit??
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: May 14, 2009 01:21AM

The Rick Ross Message Board Continuing Education Project

Over the years, different members have recommended Carl Sagan's Baloney Detector Kit and his book 'Candle in the Dark', as well as other books by Cialdini.

The Nizkor Project, a worthy website dedicated to the purpose of countring Holocaust denialism, offers yet more resources.

[www.nizkor.org]

Fallacies

This is a list of 42 different varieties of Fallacies. On the website, each one of of these fallacies corresponds to an active link that will provide examples of that particular fallacy--valuable for anyone seeking to preserve, develop--or to regain---critical thinking skills.

Index

Ad Hominem
Ad Hominem Tu Quoque
Appeal to Authority
Appeal to Belief
Appeal to Common Practice
Appeal to Consequences of a Belief
Appeal to Emotion
Appeal to Fear
Appeal to Flattery
Appeal to Novelty
Appeal to Pity
Appeal to Popularity
Appeal to Ridicule
Appeal to Spite
Appeal to Tradition
Bandwagon
Begging the Question
Biased Sample
Burden of Proof
Circumstantial Ad Hominem
Composition
Confusing Cause and Effect
Division
False Dilemma
Gambler's Fallacy
Genetic Fallacy
Guilt By Association
Hasty Generalization
Ignoring A Common Cause
Middle Ground
Misleading Vividness
Personal Attack
Poisoning the Well
Post Hoc
Questionable Cause
Red Herring
Relativist Fallacy
Slippery Slope
Special Pleading
Spotlight
Straw Man
Two Wrongs Make A Right

-------

Dr. Michael C. Labossiere, the author of a Macintosh tutorial named Fallacy Tutorial Pro 3.0, has kindly agreed to allow the text of his work to appear on the Nizkor site, as a Nizkor Feature. It remains © Copyright 1995 Michael C. Labossiere, with distribution restrictions -- please see our copyright notice. If you have questions or comments about this work, please direct them both to the Nizkor webmasters (webmaster@nizkor.org) and to Dr. Labossiere (ontologist@aol.com).

Other sites that list and explain fallacies include:

'Constructing a Logical Argument'

[www.infidels.org]

Re: Byron Katie (the Work) and Eckhart Tolle Legit??
Posted by: quackdave ()
Date: May 14, 2009 10:20PM

corboy
The Rick Ross Message Board Continuing Education Project

Over the years, different members have recommended Carl Sagan's Baloney Detector Kit and his book 'Candle in the Dark', as well as other books by Cialdini.

The Nizkor Project, a worthy website dedicated to the purpose of countring Holocaust denialism, offers yet more resources.

[www.nizkor.org]

Great stuff, corboy. Using these tools, added to the Baloney Detector Kit, one might be able to see these phony techniques coming a mile away. Good information to have, these days.

qd

Re: Byron Katie (the Work), Stuart Resnick and the Guruphiliac Blog
Date: May 15, 2009 12:30AM

The subject of Stuart Resnick aka Randomstu has reared its head again...

In the comments section of a recent Guruphiliac blog entry, someone took issue with the commenting of Stuart Resnick and in addition mentioned the Rick Ross forum:

At 5/12/2009 6:47 PM, Anonymous said...

Jody,

I've been reading posts by this guy, Stuart, for years now. Something just hasn't set right in reading him as he has spread out over the years, on sights over the Net. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but some discussion on the Rick Ross website has really helped to put some of what I was questioning in to perspective.

In Stuart's quoted text above from your website, he says:

"I'd imagine that an end to making such a big deal out of special experience comes with time and maturity. We can adopt a "middle way," not thinking of the experiences as delusions (just because they're non-oridinary), and yet not thinking that they make us Spiritually Superior either."

He then goes on to say:
"After a big experience at a meditation retreat, I told a very kind Zen Master about it, and she said, "Just forget about it!"

Jody, he talks about "maturity" and then goes on to quote a "teacher". Why does Stuart need to quote a "teacher", and a female teacher at that? Where is Stuart's voice by himself, is he capable of living life and speaking without quoting a "teacher"?

Another reason I bring up his 'timing' and the quoting a 'female teacher', is that recently on the Rick Ross website (a link you even hold on your website here, Jody), Stuart was called out on some issues, and equally important, his Zen teacher, Seung Sahn, was talked about. Some very interesting information came to light about Seung Sahn during the discussion on the Rick Ross website (discussion can be read here:)

Stuart is a poker player by his own admission. Watching Stuart post over the years, I've noticed the different hands of poker he will play. Take for example, his quoted text at the beginning of his comment above from your website. I would call that one his 'opening hands', swaying and welcoming someone in to the game.

Stuart may be genuine in some of his commentary, but I also suspect strategic poker playing in the mix. I've watched him woo people, yourself, Chuck and mule on this site to name a few. He does this well, but watch out, Jody, if he ever finds reason to play another hand of poker with you, he will.

Stuart screamed across many websites on the Net, once he had the encounter on the Rick Ross website. His aggression was alarming to follow and read, to say the least. Attempts at deflection seem to play a role in his communication at this level of engagement.

He will pound people over the head with his 'school of Zen' philosphy, all the while he has been building up his name as a recognized Zen teacher it now appears. Jody, you even featured him in that role here on your site in February of 2009:

Stuart Resnick on Youtube

File under: Endorsed

We are delighted to have discovered Gp pal Stuart Resnick on video on YouTube, where he parses popular culture and his own life, picking out metaphoric assists for the illustration of zen notions. He's very plain spoken and quite funny:

Insight with humor as a reinforcing influence is a teaching tradition we are always happy to endorse.
08th February 2009 13:24 p.m.

[guruphiliac.blogspot.com]

--------------

Jody, I ask that you now team up with the Rick Ross bloggers and bring another side to this picture.
I ask that you do a full segment on Stuart's Zen teacher, Seung Sahn, some of the abuse that has been reported, and some of the abusive techniques Seung Sahn has been reported to use. Some seem to be a match for Stuart's 'more mature/advanced' hands of poker/communication posted on Net websites (when he raises the bar on his aggressive approach).

I realize that you, Chuck and mule, and others may be quick to come to Stuart's defense (he's good at building this around him, plays his hands well in doing so).
But, it seems there is another side to this story, one that needs to be fully explored and told.

I again attach the URL to the Rick Ross discussion with transpired. This is the one which triggered Stuart's scream across the Net.

It will not surprise me to watch Stuart launch in to a series of rants about the anti-cult movement being just like a cult, not allowing open discussion.

I can counter this with the thought that Stuart has fallen in to a cult thought system of Zen, where he beats people over the head again and again with his repetitive statements, and raises the level of aggression if a discussion does not go the way he wants it to.

Jody, please do some digging. Team up with the Rick Ross URL listed about. Post a full series. Let's see if a on-line intervention of sorts is called for. Has something with much more dark matter than even expected been hiding in plain sight all of this time?
This is a link to the above-mentioned blog:

[[url=http://guruphiliac.blogspot.com/2009/05/what-enlightenment-reignites.html]"What Enlightenment" Reignites[/url]]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.