Current Page: 33 of 49
Re: YMBBA Ministries
Posted by: Aegonis3 ()
Date: December 11, 2012 11:56AM

Hi Hythlodaeus,

I'd like to answer one of your questions. I am working toward a PhD in communication studies, and oddly enough, the phenomenon of language shift is my primary focus. I'm working on my second *large* paper about this exact thing as I type this. I was checking up on this board as a break from my studies, but I guess I can't escape it. Maybe it's the Lord's way of telling me to get back to work. ;)

Hopefully my knowledge and understanding of this theory can be a blessing to all who read this.

You asked...

• Why do they adopt stylized olde English speech patterns? What's the purpose, or need to do that?

Forty years of empirical research has shown that we shift our communication behaviors (accents, linguistics, phonetics, grammar, speech rate, gestures, response latency, etc.) based on subconscious identity negotiation. As humans, we find our identity (the perceived self) rooted in our group affiliations (family, friends, faith, teams, work, etc.). We then adapt our communication behavior to conform to that specific group as a means of bonding or reassuring our own identity. This process is called "convergence" (to become alike). Research shows that the more we want to be "liked" by someone, the more we adjust our communication so that we converge.

Now, this process can work in the opposite direction as well through "divergence." Divergence is the use of communication to create perceived "distance" between individuals. It is a way of showing someone that you do not share an identity or affiliation.

Here is a pretty basic example:
Scenario: Two college students walk into their classroom right before meeting their professor.

Student 1 (talking to student 2): Sup dawg, you ready for this class?
Student 2: Yah fool, I heard it's gonna be crazy cool. What's good wit you?
Student 1: Nuttin' bro. Yah, I heard this class is legit!
Student 2: Fo'sho. (The friends fist-bump.)

Their use of slang bonds them in their shared identity of being young, pseudo gangster college kids. This would be "convergence." Now, watch what happens when they see their professor. They abandon their unique slang and act/speak in a more formal demeanor.

Student 1: Hello professor. (Shakes the professors hand.)
Student 2: Good morning professor! I am excited to be taking this class.

Suddenly they don't use their "gangsta" maxims... Now the professor has a choice to make. He can do one of two things: He can bridge the age/rank gap by offering a little bit of convergence toward the students OR he can widen the gap through overt divergence. Here are both:

Prof.: Hey guys, it's great to have you. Yeah, this class is going to be pretty cool. We are going to cover a lot of awesome topics. Hang out for a few minutes and then we will get started!

or

Prof: Hello there. I am pleased that you selected this class. It will be a valuable learning experience as we study various challenging existential topics. Please take your seats and we will begin the lecture momentarily.

These two responses have the same message content but opposite delivery. The first response probably put the students at ease and made them comfortable. The professor probably gained rapport and credibility. "Wow, he is a cool guy. This class will be great," they probably thought. The second response created distance between the students and the professor. The professor emphasized his identity as an intellectual by using those big fancy words. The students probably thought, "Wow, what a dork - this class is going to be lame."

This theory is called "Communication Accommodation Theory" if you care to look it up on Wiki. My studies apply this theory in interracial romantic relationships and counseling situations during conflict (i.e. when a white male and hispanic female fight).

--------

Now, let's talk about our loved ones in Wells and why this matters.

They have probably adopted an olde english dialect because of its tie to their desired identity or "brand" of Christian expression. They only acknowledge and read the King James version of the Bible. Additionally, most (if not all) of the theologians on their website exhibit that same language style.

I would argue that an adaptation to this language style is a subconscious way of identifying who is "in" and who is "out." I would go so far as to argue that a sudden shift in language helps indicate (again, subconsciously) who is "saved."

New Convert 1: YO! Bro, I jus' got back from 'dis church. I really think I wanna follow Christ. He is Lord! The people I met were DOPE! You have to come wit me some time and meet the crew!

New Convert 2: Hello friend. I just returned from visiting with the brothers down the street. Yea, I hath decided to give my life to the Lord Jesus of Nazareth for it is a burden on my heart. The congregation is so edifying and loving. I plead you, Lord willing, to join me sometime to speak to the brethren.

Again. Same message... different perception. Which convert would be "legitimate" in their eyes? I would argue the second.

-----------

So, if you have made it this far, what can we do? Why does it matter to us?

1) Do NOT waste time arguing about the KJV. Consider the KJV as their "linguistic tome." By opposing it, you're not only stepping on a major part of their theology but also stepping on their "identity."

1.5) If you are going to cite scripture when talking/writing your loved one, do so with the KJV. This recognizes their theological convictions AND adapts to what they are used to hearing/reading.

2) Do NOT react in a strange way or mock them when they talk/write in olde english. It ruins our witness and puts distance between us. Remember, this language phenomenon applies to EVERYONE; even us. We all do it. We all have our form of "Christianesse" or whatever you want to call it.

3) Learn and adapt. If "the brothers" is their term for what we would call "Christian friends," then adapt! Language is a valuable tool in showing people that we aren't so different after all.

4) VERY IMPORTANT: DO NOT OVERDO IT. Immediately trying to talk like you're Shakespeare or some other orator will do more harm than good. It's called "overaccommodation" and is just as bad as the "divergence" acts earlier. Be yourself - just try to recognize their terms and use them sparingly (when appropriate).

----------

I hope that answers your question and sheds some light on the situation. I'd love to discuss some of the other things you mentioned in your post, but I've already used up my fair share of bandwidth in this long reply.

Feel free to PM me for more info.

:)

Gal 3:3

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: justin07 ()
Date: December 12, 2012 12:01AM

Hi, I will give a shot at answering these questions, although, obviously I am just speculating since I am not (praise God) a member. I am just a concerned, praying parent waiting for the One True God to open eyes and ears to the truth.

Ok- so as far as the language goes- Im not sure why they would do this except to try to make themselves appear to be more educated, or to try to sound as if they have had any training in biblical matters. When my son suggested I ask the elders about some of my concerns, I told him that I would like to speak to the mentors and/or pastors of the elders first; that I wanted to know who had trained up these young men before they became leaders of others (Jesus spent 3 years with his original 12) Justin could not answer, had no idea where or if these 'boys' has any instruction. He couldn't even tell me about where they were when they came to know the Lord. (Perhaps their experience was a bit like Josephs Smith's ) So I would have to say that it is just for show.

Ryan is married to Joy Courville whose family is well known and respected in the southern Baptist community. I know there was an estrangement in the past, I can't be sure what that relationship looks like now. And Jacob is married to Hannah whose family is also involved in the Baptist church.
As far as I know the 3 original boys (Ryan, Sean and Jacob ) were pretty 'normal' until sometime in 2010 when they became... Pharisees. Only one thing would cause children of God to turn from the truth-the great deceiver , the father of lies, the enemy, whatever you call it, it is still evil.
Cory James is also in leadership, although for some reason he stays behind the scenes. He has a web site that has some of his history on it.

I don't think the baby's death was related to her being a girl but rather to the egos and blindness of the 'elders'. They have allowed themselves to be deceived into thinking that they have some sort of 'power' but at the same time deny the gifts of the Spirit. (?) The women are definitely subdued. They wear plain, hand me down clothes, dont wear makeup or fix their hair-the men quote scriptures about outward versus inward beauty but then the men dress nice and take care of themselves. I know that things have improved since baby Faith's death, as far as prenatal care goes, but I can't be sure about general medical stuff. Again, the belief seems to be that God will heal them, which He certainly can, yet they deny that God gave us (humans) the minds, abilities and creativity to develop cures and treatments.

It is all very sad, but temporary. Thank God.

Posted by: hopeful123 ()
Date: December 13, 2012 01:52AM

yes I know the Keyes. I worked with Heidi and her girls before they joined the church of Wells. I can give you some info if you need

Posted by: Hythlodaeus ()
Date: December 13, 2012 12:32PM

Thanks for the responses. Food for thought.

Date: December 13, 2012 01:59PM

In spite of their desire to separate themselves and be unworldly, these young men are indeed quite worldly. They are firmly establishing themselves in the corporate world, not one bit different than the paths they were on before 'enlightenment'. They have business ventures, investment, they're making deals. They are internet savvy and have the equipment and the connectivity that any other household, family and individuals do. They avail themselves of every electronic device and "social media" that any of their sinful peers do.
They have IPhones. That's funny. : )

I did read communication accommodation theory. It's a no-brainer that it's part of their overall tactics to set themselves apart, to be tangibly different. In fact, there's a certain quality of practiced artificiality. Almost overdone, feigned. Some of them are more comfortable with it than others.

My thought is that using King James-era language and Puritan speech patterns is part of their own very complicated self-validation and affirmation; their own internal rationalization and reassurance that they are who they say they are. Calculated to inspire strangers, recruits and the children...a prop to the costume.

Shades of Athalie

Far from my griefs; and a thought, deep in the dark of my mind,
Clings to a great Understanding. Yet all the spirit within me
Faints, when I watch men’s deeds matched with the guerdon they find.
For Good comes in Evil’s traces,
And the Evil the Good replaces;
And Life, ’mid the changing faces,
Wandereth weak and blind.

Posted by: Aegonis3 ()
Date: December 14, 2012 11:18PM

Hythlodaeus
In spite of their desire to separate themselves and be unworldly, these young men are indeed quite worldly. They are firmly establishing themselves in the corporate world, not one bit different than the paths they were on before 'enlightenment'. They have business ventures, investment, they're making deals. They are internet savvy and have the equipment and the connectivity that any other household, family and individuals do. They avail themselves of every electronic device and "social media" that any of their sinful peers do.
They have IPhones. That's funny. : )

I did read communication accommodation theory. It's a no-brainer that it's part of their overall tactics to set themselves apart, to be tangibly different. In fact, there's a certain quality of practiced artificiality. Almost overdone, feigned. Some of them are more comfortable with it than others.

It's not so much a tactic as it is a subconscious process. It can be done, but from my 2 years following the group, I doubt thesis the case. I have observed a gradual shift. Think of it like gradually starting to sound more and more Brittish after spending a long time "across the pond."

Could you elaborate on the business ventures, investments, etc.? I knew about the social media and all that, but where is their funding coming from? I heard they bought a local corner store... Any new news about that?

I do know that they rationalize social media as a modern form of street preaching. They remove the "social" part of it. When I was on FB, I recall only seeing verses and conversion attempts. No friendly or casual discourse between members and nonmembers.

Posted by: Bobo The Echo ()
Date: December 15, 2012 01:54AM

They have the corner store, a tree removal service, and a landscaping service. Thats all I know about, or ever see out and about.

Date: December 15, 2012 05:14AM

chris99
Apparently, I am demonic for talkin and sharing what I know on this forum! I have heard it more than once that I talked about them like they were dogs!!!!!!!
So, YMBBA - please don't approach me with any accusations or questions.
I have just spoken the truth - shame on me right?
As not to upset the group anymore than I have!...

Curious about this. Do you live with the Church of Wells? How do have access to computers and a willingness to speak the truth? They chastise you, but still allow you to communicate with this board?

If it's uncomfortable to respond, that's okay.

Posted by: Bobo The Echo ()
Date: December 15, 2012 09:59AM

They are a fellow resident of wells. but not a member of the church. they have family that live in close proximity to what has been called the "HQ".

Hythlodaeus
chris99
Apparently, I am demonic for talkin and sharing what I know on this forum! I have heard it more than once that I talked about them like they were dogs!!!!!!!

Curious about this. Do you live with the Church of Wells? How do have access to computers and a willingness to speak the truth? They chastise you, but still allow you to communicate with this board?

Posted by: His Star ()
Date: December 15, 2012 01:18PM

No i am not a member of the group.. thats funny to me that you would think i am

Hythlodaeus
chris99

Current Page: 33 of 49

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.