Current Page: 41 of 115
Re: "Jesus Christians," "Australian cult," Dave McKay (thread 2)
Posted by: zeuszor ()
Date: August 26, 2011 05:47AM

Stoic
'Though I must say, aren't those things expensive? '

One of the strange contradictions that I noticed on the Wife-Swap programme was that Sue produced £2.50 for the weekly household budget and was so obnoxiously pennypinching and moralising about it to the other family---but at the end of the programme was able to buy a new lap-top for Daniel and upgrade their campervan to a more luxurious model so that Daniel could cease to be embarrassed about inviting school-friends home.

I'm not decrying the expenditure for Daniel's social benefit--poor kid needs every help if he's to fit in with his peers-- but the fact that they had such a ready stash of cash when needed rather undermined all that pious posturing about giving up all and embracing poverty as the way to live a godly life.
How do you surrender all but still keep £15,000-£20,000 readies on hand for a quick upgrade?

Does anybody know where that episode can be viewed online? I haven't seen it in a few years and never saved a copy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2011 05:47AM by zeuszor.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: August 26, 2011 06:01AM

I'm not decrying the expenditure for Daniel's social benefit--poor kid needs every help if he's to fit in with his peers-- but the fact that they had such a ready stash of cash when needed rather undermined all that pious posturing about giving up all and embracing poverty as the way to live a godly life.
How do you surrender all but still keep £15,000-£20,000 readies on hand for a quick upgrade?

How much do you think that they might have been paid for appearing in the program?.....just unfortunately, as McKay, I believe was paid a stipend for his donating his "valuable time" to the JK program.....for the program's sake it would have then "proven" how the couples benefited from experiencing the different perspectives of the other party (which I think was part of it's intended appeal to it's television audience...promoting a "happy medium").....the upgrade, may have been negotiated with the programs producers for the sake of "generating" this outcome......just a thought!

Posted by: Stoic ()
Date: August 26, 2011 06:28AM

Wife-Swap:

[www.channel4.com]

.....the upgrade, may have been negotiated with the programs producers for the sake of "generating" this outcome......just a thought!

I hadn't thought of that, of course there would have been a hefty fee for exposing one's life on the programme-- but a sweetner to give a feel-good ending and a little moral lesson to justify the intrusion into the bargain? --that one escaped me.
I was under the impression that these programmes try to promote a bit of conflict to help the audience figures by making it compulsive 'car-crash' telly, but Sue seemed to do alright on the conflict front without any help.

So do you think that their conversion to a bit more social inclusion for Daniel was a cynical ploy used entirely to play along with the producer's script for the programme, and then dropped for McKay 'business as usual' when the cameras turned elsewhere?

Date: August 26, 2011 06:32AM

Make your own your own biodiesel with one of these processors. But where would they keep one? If they didn't own a processor, then where would they buy the stuff?

[homebiodieselkits.com]

Hmm. I've been reading about biodiesel production tonight, about processing and using homemade biodiesel fuel, as well as the costs and complications of engine conversion.

Converting one's engine to run biodiesel (according to what I am looking at) will cost about $1,200.00 USD.

Earlier I was wrong about "the grease." In some instances one can simply pour the oil right on in, after filtering it. In others there is an alternate fuel that is created by mixing the filtered oil with some solvent.

This is the impression I receive from reading this material, but then I'm no mechanic. Interesting.

Here's the Wikipedia entry on it:

Wow. It's getting really, really rainy out. Irene is coming. Hope I can maintain web access over the weekend.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2011 06:34AM by zeuszor.

Posted by: Stoic ()
Date: August 26, 2011 06:51AM

I've seen footage of Sue decanting the used cooking oil into a jerry can for fuelling the campervan. (can't remember where from, off-hand)
Its why I know they must have a lock-up somewhere to store the used oil drums that they must collect from restaurants and chippies. They do whatever processing is needed themselves and get the conversions done 'under the counter' by a friendly counter-cultural mechanic.

Most of the nomadic hippy-types have been doing this for years to fuel their vans and buses. When I first heard that people were running their vehicles for next to nothing on used chip fat I thought it was an April Fool joke--but no, its the future of motoring.
We'll just have to eat an awful lot more chips.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2011 06:52AM by Stoic.

Posted by: Apollo ()
Date: August 26, 2011 06:55AM

zeuszor
Stoic
'Though I must say, aren't those things expensive? '

One of the strange contradictions that I noticed on the Wife-Swap programme was that Sue produced £2.50 for the weekly household budget and was so obnoxiously pennypinching and moralising about it to the other family---but at the end of the programme was able to buy a new lap-top for Daniel and upgrade their campervan to a more luxurious model so that Daniel could cease to be embarrassed about inviting school-friends home.

Does anybody know where that episode can be viewed online? I haven't seen it in a few years and never saved a copy.

It's still available on 40D. I don't think it's available to American viewers though. You could probably watch it on the JCs forum.

Date: August 26, 2011 06:56AM

Well, in any case I never believe anything coming from Dave.

Someone's got to be helping them. If not sheltering them, then at least materially assisting them somehow. But who? And where?

Date: August 26, 2011 06:59AM

Thanks for the link, Stoic. No, I cannot view that episode from here in the States. Did anybody download it?

Date: August 26, 2011 07:00AM

Irene is upon us here where I live.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2011 07:01AM by zeuszor.

Posted by: Apollo ()
Date: August 26, 2011 07:08AM

zeuszor
Well, in any case I never believe anything coming from Dave.

Someone's got to be helping them. If not sheltering them, then at least materially assisting them somehow. But who? And where?

Why would they need help when they've got over $100,000 in the bank?

If they're receiving any help whatsoever it'll be from the likes of Christine, Rob and the rest of his ''graduated'' flock.

Current Page: 41 of 115

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.