Re: Byron Katie (the Work) and Eckhart Tolle Legit??
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: April 01, 2009 09:35PM

Will tell you that if someone internalizes powerful introjected material, and if that has become co mingled with ones sense of self (especially if your own sense of self and agency has been compromised by an early history of trauma)...if you extrude those introjects, it can feel lonely, having only your under-exercised true self for company.

It can be all too easy to go from one guru to another, or one domineering relationship to another, to fill that 'hole' with a new introject, rather than suffer the difficulty of getting to show this fragile, unfamiliar presence that is conventionally termed self.

If a person has a fragile sense of self, exposure to nondual self-is-illusion philosophies can be confusing at the very least, and destablizing at worst. IT doenst mean you are inferior or unworthy, or less evolved. Carl Jung found that he fared best when doing yoga just enough to calm down so he could examine his emotions, rather than doing yoga to the point where his emotions totally dissipated and became inaccessible, altogher. (He wrote about this in Memories, Dreams and Reflections. He had grave concerns about the welfare of Westerners who might, incautiously, try to use Asian yoga and nondual philosophies on themselves. And...Jung had these concerns as early as the 1930s!)

Anticult writes:

Also, taken from the 'Nog' concept, she constructs "Byron Katie" as a type of mystery wrapped in an enigma living only in the moment, which is very destabilizing.
So the reader who buys into that trance-language, is going to FUSE their own self-concept with the Byron Katie concept, and the language being used is even similar to language from the new testament...to magnify that projection too.

One year before the publication of Nog (1969) Carlos Castaneda published The Teachings of Don Juan (1968)

Castaneda was also part of the movement in which people created 'a type of mystery wrapped in an enigma living only in the moment, which is very destablizing.'

(Gurdjieff did this same thing decades earlier. So did Paul Brunton--he lived as house guru with the parents of Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson, who gives a great description of how PB presented himself as an enigmatic wisdom figure--see My Fathers Guru)

But...PB pretended to represent ancient Hindu spirituality. When Jeffrey went to Harvard and studied Sanskrit, within months he had to face that PB was a charlatan. It works better not to link oneself with anything that can be readily fact checked.

Carlos Castaneda and his creation of the fictional Don Juan Matus (he had no proof, no tapes, no field notes when he presented Teachings of Don Juan to the dissertation committee at UCLA. Awarding him that Ph.D was a serious departure from academic standards. Turned out the the Furst material on which much his dissertation was based (The Fursts studied the Huichols, not the Yaqui, and their informant was not fully a shaman at all, but a more marginal type who lacked access to the full rituals of the tribe--see Courtney Fikes commentary)

Castaneda was an early avid student of metaphysics..his wife told a reporter that it was all they talked about. If the Nog novel is earlier than Castanedas books, maybe he too got the idea from that novel! This is a most interesting angle, as few have considered whether he got ideas from fiction. Castaneda took courses in creative writing at Los Angeles Community College, too.

So Castaneda romanticized the American desert as a place for spiritual seekers and presented a sort of rootless man without a past as an ideal to follow--quite different from the earlier brand of guru who presented as representing an ancient tradition.

(Andrew Cohen had his instant enlightenment during 3 weeks with HWL Poonja who claimed some sort of doubtful tie to Ramana Maharshi, one of Indias most honored dead saints--and who never did start a lineage. But later in 1991 or so, Cohen and Poonja had a rupture, and one of Cohens students went on to join Poonja and became Gangaji. Cohen managed to carve out a new career independently of Poonja and
later, linked up with Ken Wilber, who himself periodically changes his own material whenever enough people became able to understand it. The constant upgrades ensure that no one besides Wilber can really claim full mastery of Wilberian Integralism.)

But...its so much more convenient to find a way to have spontaneous enlightement, with no past. Castaneda gave one possible way to do it, though he left enough traces that later researchers found flaws. But...maybe he got inspiration from Nog, too.

Anticult writes:

Well, if you want to see how people 'fuse(d) their own self concept' with a fictional public persona of someone presenting themselves as an enigma, go see the discussions on the Sustained Reaction forum that forms part of the Sustained Reaction
website, created by people who broke free from CC.

But the forum is full of people who continue to inhabit the narrative CC created and who have fused their self concepts with Castanedas fictional public persona.

If you want to see their fury go and read the early posts on the subsection 'Amy Wallace's Place' when Amy published her horrifying memoir of what it was actually like to live with Carlos Castaneda. She too was recruited over a period of years.

And in her memoir, she wrote that at one point, Carlos inner circle discarded some books on hypnosis. Wonder what those books could have been, eh? Carlos lived until the mid to late 1990s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2009 10:02PM by corboy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: April 01, 2009 10:06PM

Finally, here is a capsule summary of the novel, Nog by Wurlitzer

[www.rudywurlitzer.com]

Nog is a journey without end. A journey through Time past and Time present — a journey of one man without history, without tradition.

Nog is about a man riding through American Space, space that is vast and choked and silent.

Space that one fills with obsessive monologues, disintegrating memories, hoped-for horizons, buried myths, paranoid plans.

Nog rides through this space because that is what we do, that is the great and original promise, the central fact.

He explores or suspects he might be exploring The Great Space. He tries to define it, to know he is in it, to embrace it, to settle it, to get through it, to be a witness to it . . . there is a trerrible anguish about inhabiting space without a beginning or end.

Memories disintegrate as fast as they are brought up. They become arbitrary. words are too fragmented, there is no locus, no safe symbols, no totems that don't endlessly transform beyond our understanding, no relationships that aren't brutalized by the speed with which we pass each other. A

ll we know how to do is to keep on, loosed by our own momentum, going faster and faster. The road is brutal and energetic and frantic, and sometimes funny, and certainly insanely fast. There is hardly time to make notes.

This book begins in a small town on the coast of California, moves to San Francisco and the desert badlands of the Southwest, from there to Los Angeles through the Panama Canal to New York — and perhaps back again.

“This strikes me as the most original, exciting and talented new novel since Thomas Pynchon's 'V.'” — RICHARD POIRIER, editor of the PARTISAN REVIEW

"Nog is the kind of novel that suffers from being called 'experimental'. Actually, it is part of a clear, established tradition. I would place it between Samuel Beckett's trilogy (Molloy, Malone Dies, The Unnameable) and Don DeLillo's Great Jones Street — closer to Beckett in spirit, to Delillo in time." — Toby Litt, CULT CHOICE in PENGUIN READERS' GROUP

Published by Random House, New York, 1969

(Corboy notes: in the unromantic and more medically sophisticated context of 2009, this reads to me like the experience of someone who is suffering the manic phase of bipolar affective disorder. For comparisons, read Madness: A Bipolar Life, by Marya Hornbacher.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2009 10:13PM by corboy.

Posted by: mysticjaw ()
Date: April 01, 2009 10:51PM

Corboy, thats exactly what these things read like. And I can personally attest to it. I have had a manic eppisode brought on by medication mishaps. It make no sense to the rational mind and is indeed pure madness!

Date: April 02, 2009 01:14AM

A manic break is serious business.

For those who have not been through the process, go and read Madness by Marya Hornbacher for a first hand account of what it is like to be assigned to live in a body and mind affected by rapid cycling bipolar.

Kate Jamison's books are also highly insightful. She was recently interviewed concerning the continuing appeal of Sylvia Plath, who died young, a suicide and who may have had bipolar.

Jamison said that too many times young artists who commit suicide are romanticized.

Jamison said, in that interview, she had been to too many funerals of persons who had bipolar and had committed suicide, and saw no romance in it, whatsoever.

A vibrant and amazing person in our circle had bipolar and was not willing to take her medicine. She died on her third and ghastly suicide attempt, and her funeral consisted of a room packed tight with people who were griefstricken.

Being there and seeing this wonderful woman reduced to a mere container of ash, carried in the arms of her bereaved husband, who looked like a wreck, and who needed two friends on either elbow to help him walk forward with the urn to place it on its pedestal.....

There is NO ROMANCE TO THAT, NONE, NONE, NONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And for a horrifying description of the mental and bodily states of someone who has both bipolar and who also became addicted to methamphetamine, read the memoir, Tweaker by Nic Sheff.

Caution; if you happen to be in recovery from drug or alcohol addiction, this book may be triggering. Check with your advisors on this.

(Note, Hornbacher has the most severe variety of bipolar. Read her account for information but dont panic. Very many people with bipolar are doing a superb job taking care of themselves, and you will never know who they are, precisely because they do take care of themselves. One acquantaince of mine works as an RN, and another as a social worker.

So keep in mind that what Horbacher describes is what happens when one has the most severe kind of bipolar and you've gone decades before 1) being properly diagnosed and 2) you spend additional years after diagnosis continuing to abuse drugs, alcohol and not learning to get 8 hours of sleep per night, every night--essential for anyone who has bipolar.

For one of the best things I found in Hornbacher's account is that she goes to very great lengths to to tell us what people can do to reduce the number of episodes. No reponsible health care provider can promise you that you will be 100% free from manic and depressive episodes if you do the lifestyle changes and take the medication.

there are no 100% guarantees. But one can reduce the number of disabling episodes and some persons with bipolare are fortunate enough to become mostly free from the disabling and dangerous episodes.

The problem is, one has to accept the need to work collaboratively with an Authority Figure--the medical psychiatrist.

Two, one has to lose the delicious energy of the manic surges.

This perceived loss of autonomy is something many people cant stand to give up. And many dont like to submit to guidance from a physician without a 100% guarantee of total relief, which no responsible health care provider can ever promise us.

That is why the unlicensed entrepreneurs can get away with making promises to suffering people that no licensed professional can ever ethically offer.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2009 01:42AM by corboy.

Date: April 02, 2009 01:48AM

And...if any jerk (male or female) dares suggest that I was 'lost in my story' when I went into an all caps fury describing that funeral, stay the hell away from me.

I wont punch you in the jaw.

I'll respond by bellowing that this New Age stuff is full of profit driven crap, and I only take advice from adults who go to clinical programs, do the supervised thousands of hours of training, pass the tests, get licensed, do their continuing education, and who also read the peer reviewed journals and go to classes and conferences beyond the minimum required to keep their licenses up to date.

And...who carry malpractice insurance and see themselves accountable to an ethos of care in relation to their clients.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2023 12:20AM by corboy.

Posted by: Jay Cruise ()
Date: April 02, 2009 01:52AM

Thanks Anticult, using the example helps.

The blog entry is about Byron having a carcinoma on her nose and her family is deeply concerned for her. She is predictably excited about it. What she really is doing is distracting the readers mind from what is about to come. She then writes:

"I invite you all to inquiry, to your own marvelous death of the body (before it dies) as you understand it to be and to be born of who and what you are not to your mind and then to understand what you are in that, as that unknowable known."

I do notice that toward the middle of this disjointed sentence it requires much more focus to comprehend what she trying to say, expecially considering it is incomprehensible. This distraction, focusing of attention and confusion is ericksonian hypnosis or covert hypnosis. Erickson used confusion to occupy the concious mind while making suggestions to the subconscious mind.

In this blog entry these are the suggestions that Byron Katie is making:

I hope that you have followed what I have just written, as so many of you who love The Work for so many months or years have been able to do. Your own answers to the questions and examples of turnarounds have kept us as one, undivided in peace and beyond, for so many months, even years. I live in you and I die in you, what else is possible? Nothing. I love living in you if you love it, and I can tell you that you live in me and only that, you are my life. I love not belonging to me and you do and belonging to you when I do. What identification have you given me? I live as that. Do you love me yet? I welcome you to love beyond the self.

Which is just creepy.

Is that about right?

Posted by: helpme2times ()
Date: April 02, 2009 02:04AM

Jay Cruise
I've seen some of her youtube videos and they are very unappealing. I'm guessing the first point of contact for a lot of people is her books, especially when she is promoted by Oprah. So that would give an insight into how Katie gets people to her seminars in the first place. I want to know if they are as insane as she seems and how much polishing Mitchell has done.
For me, it was not any of her books that hooked. Years ago I had taken a look at "Loving What Is" and was very turned off. I just had this intuitive sense of "ugh, not for me". And then once in a while I'd read about these "cleanses" Byron Katie led. That too turned me off. I would think, "what the hell does juice fasting have to do with this process she's doing?" It seemed very suspicious.

But then there came a time when I was in a very vulnerable state and on the lookout for some kind of healing. I came upon a blog of someone I found very charming and funny and intelligent. Their blog hooked me in. Later on I found their website and learned they were affiliated with Byron Katie's Work. Between feeling really vulnerable and feeling hooked into this person's charm, I began to open up to Byron Katie. I somehow forgot how much she had initially turned me off.

Then came the YouTube videos. By then it was like I was in a trance and could only see Byron Katie through "loving what is" eyes. After that I read the book "Loving What Is". I do remember feeling unable to read all of the section on the person who'd been an incest victim. I don't know if I could read that stuff even now. It would probably enrage me.

Anyway, that's the nutshell version of how I got into The Work.

Date: April 02, 2009 02:40AM

Folks, for a refresher, go google basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma.

Basal cell carcinoma is eminently treatable. It is slow growing, rarely if ever metastasizes. If left neglected, it will stay local and gnaw localized wounds, but this only happens to people who have zero access to medical care and no friends to tell them to go to the doctor. Years ago, I saw a photo in a dermatology text of a fellow with a serious basal cell carcinoma and the note stated that he was a recluse, which is why he had become a rare, rare advanced case of destructive basal cell carcinoma.

A person who cares for his or her public appearance would be at the dermatologist long, long long before that point.

Squamous cell carcinoma is more invasive. But it too is treatable if detected early. It is common in fair skinned people who have spent their lives getting heavy exposure to sunshine. If you are at risk, you learn to go to the dermatologist for regular check ups. early stage squamous cell lesions can be frozen off, or if deeper can be surgically excised, with margin, and if a pathologists report indicates it has spread beyond the surgical margin, then you do need follow up.

The one skin cancer worth alerting your adoring public about is melanoma. That's the nasty one. But even those can be detected early if you go regularly to a dermatologist.

PR Note: Have your bod checked in the nude once a year, by a dermatologist. A good check up includes combing through your hair so the person can examine your scalp.

Have your hair dresser check too.

Dont forget the soles of your feet, between your toes and---dont laugh folks, your private parts. In some cases melanoma can appear on areas that do not get sun exposure.

Re: Byron Katie (the Work) Skin Cancer, and Guns
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: April 02, 2009 05:18AM

there were some posts in the past about Byron Katie and Skin Cancer: Basal Cell Carcinoma

Skin Cancer: Basal Cell Carcinoma
[forum.culteducation.com]
Byron Katie has used the "cancer story" as a motif, going back to her earliest books, and probably since the beginning. Its using the FEAR around a painful death, and working it into her Stories. So its not an accident, or random that she talks about CANCER so much. She clearly faked she had it, but of course says it was due to a false diagnosis, etc.
She uses the cancer story in her persuasion system in her Stories, and these Stories are what as known as Teaching Tales, that is they all have multi-modal embedded metaphors in them.
Cancer, in her stories, becomes linked with fear and powerlessness.

Another motif she uses is GUNS.
She constantly advertises that she "slept with a loaded gun under her pillow", are you afraid of a pill-popping loose cannon from the desert who sleeps with a loaded gun under her pillow?
She has various stories about guns, like her being at the wrong end of a gun, keeping a loaded gun under her pillow, no guns or weapons at the seminar...what is that all about?
You will notice even in some of her Gun Stories, in her CD sets, like here. [forum.culteducation.com]
ROBBERY: with gun, (her message is...don’t run!)
- Story of her house robbed by burgulars, ALL POSSESSIONS stolen. No loss, feels JOY for the robbers. (Images: jewellry, gratitide for theft, pawn shop). Says she filed a police report, serves as a warning not to try to steal HER stuff! She’ll call the cops right away… ;-)
- More DEATH with a GUN pointed at her. Killing. Katie says she is not afraid of death by gun. She thanks him for pulling a gun on her. she is JOYFUL she is being robbed at gunpoint?

What is this all about?
What is a gun, symbolically? Its about ultimate POWER. She who holds the gun has the power.
and then again, in the Gun Story, there are embedded messages about literally enjoying being robbed of jewellry at gunpoint. What is that about?
Its so brazen its almost hard to believe, but its right there in the text, in the Stories.

Isn't it just about the embedded metphors in her Stories, about getting trained to enjoy having your valuables and jewellry taken away from you at the metaphor of "gunpoint"?
Why do you think people hand over their jewellry and valuables to her in her seminar, on command? That does not happen by magic, its been installed throughout the seminar, and before.

Since she is wielding some of the most powerful persuasion techniques known to man, she is still sleeping with a "loaded gun under her pillow", metaphorically. Metaphorically, she is literally up their with a "gun" in her hand, in terms of the POWER she is able to wield, using her dozens of techniques.
So when she says to the audience...hand it over...they hand over their jewellry, rings, watches, plane tickets, etc.
(also, the endlessly repeated Story of her having a gun under her pillow, a story she repeats constantly, serves as a clear warning to any potentially disturbed follower, she does seem to be getting more paranoid, and is keeping her distance from people at her seminars).

So anyone can analyze the Stories of Byron Katie, and see all sorts of metaphors and images like this.
They become an inner vocabulary, all of these different themes and motifs. Again, that is a very very common method in this field, that is how its done, but the metaphors are supposed to be healthy ones, about growth, life, connection, integration, etc.
Sadly, she has done a Turnaround on healthy Ericksonian Teaching Tales, and turned them into a "gun", and that POWER is being used directionally, and making them about death, robbery, cancer, rape, and powerlessness and confusion.

It really is very powerful and deep, these images, metaphors, Stories, go to the core of the consciousness.

Re: Byron Katie (the Work) and Nog's Quest, Nog by Rudy Wurlitzer
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: April 02, 2009 05:41AM

corboy
here is a capsule summary of the novel, Nog by Wurlitzer
[www.rudywurlitzer.com]
This is a crucial piece of the puzzle solved. This is the only link anywhere about this connection.
Byron Katie co-wrote another registered short book in 1997, called Nog's Quest [forum.culteducation.com] obviously based around the Nog character from the Rudy Wurlitzer's book. How many "Nog" characters are there? Nog?
Obviously Byron Katie is Nog.

The mysterious unexplained Nog character, who invents his memories, partially dissociated from reality like on soft-drugs, meandering through life, is almost an exact clone of many key aspects of the Byron Katie character story...
Its almost an exact replica of her Story...this is clear missing link and smoking gun, which explains a huge chunk of her self-created mythology and Story.
Someone out there, must have a copy of Nog's Quest? Its only listed as a short book...a short story...

QUOTES:
- "The notion of a character who invents/chooses his "memories".
- "Reading "Nog" is a little like living in the mind of Zen monk strung out on drugs."
[en.wikipedia.org])
QUOTE:
"Nog is a psychedelic novel by Rudolph Wurlitzer published in 1969. Written in an experimental style, the novel is described by Atlantic Monthly as being effective at replicating "the slight and continuous dissociation of reality...normally achieved by using soft drugs to tinker with the nervous system."
[edit] Plot introduction
The novel follows the journey of an unnamed narrator as he meanders through life. The narrator makes very little sense to those around him, save a commune that seems to view him as a wise man. ...The role of Nog is not fully explained"

Type of Work: Entry Not Found
Registration Number / Date: TXu000809915 / 1997-05-27
Title: Nog’s quest.
Description: 14 p.
Copyright Claimant: Linda D. Rosenblit, 1958-
Date of Creation: 1997
Previous Registration: Preexisting material: What to do when nothing works by Byron Katie Rolle.
Basis of Claim: New Matter: new text.
Copyright Note: C.O. correspondence.

Other Title: What to do when nothing works
Names: Rosenblit, Linda D., 1958-
Rolle, Byron Katie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.