Current Page: 76 of 117
Re: Jack Hickman
Posted by: exfollower ()
Date: July 06, 2011 10:39PM

Sallie
Interesting.

1 - Damaged tells me that my tales of sex abuse are not believable

2 - Damaged tells me that I have hurt her with my words

3 - Exmember warns people about believing those who spew out Christian jargon(most OUTSIDERS are Christians)

4 - Exmember tells me I should ''JUST BELIEVE'' Damaged when she says she's not in a cult

5 - Exmember consoles Damaged and reminds her that everyone else believers her. Sallie is just a lone rebel on this site.

Is that about right?

YES, that's 'about' right.

1- damaged said they find that stuff hard to believe. then said this:

damaged - " 4 years ago when I found this site and started posting here, you would have been hard pressed to convince me that these sexual abuses were as widespread as they clearly are. Since it didn't happen to me, and not having witnessed it happen in my family I was naive I guess in thinking, hoping the perversion stopped at Hickman. Obviously that's not the case. There is no way now I would ever try to deny it. It clearly happened to many, and I appreciate this site and how it can hopefully open the eyes of many others."

2- words can hurt!

3-CHRISTIAN jargon?

exfollower, (ME)- "i'd say its more like any number of religions, who are closed-minded, and 'know the truth'."

sallie- "by reading the ABOVE MESSAGE from EXFOLLOWER I'm hearing that I should be wary of people who think they ''know the truth''....which is a commonly used Christian term and..um...aren't most ''OUTSIDERS'' belonging to that religion?? "

how about i said RELIGIOUS jargon.

YES sally, i do not think anyone or any religion knows 'the truth'!

if you think that, its faith, not fact.

question for you sallie -do you think, believe christian are open-minded? just wondering... i think about these things

sallie -"and..um...aren't most ''OUTSIDERS'' belonging to that religion??"

by "OUTSIDERS" - do you mean people who left JH? no one has done a poll. but the ones i know are- agnostic, atheist, Jewish, Buddhist, etc.
the few (3?) i know who go to 'church', do it socially. they certainly don't believe the christian dogma anymore.

SO... YES sallie you are ABOUT (mostly) right.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: July 06, 2011 10:46PM

exfollower:

Personal attacks against members of this message board are not allowed and against the rules.

Please don't descend into a "flame war" or bickering on this thread.

This thread is specifically about "Jack Hickman" and his group.

Stay focused on that topic.

This is not the place for religious debates about what is or is not the "truth".

Posted by: Sallie ()
Date: July 06, 2011 11:54PM

danjo
Being aware that current members may peek in at this site I am addressing this post to Richie Walsh.

Dear Richie,

I came upon this site two years ago. I would have thought the whole "Community" thing would have been dissolved long ago. Instead, not only am I reading of all the hurt, disillusionment, and shattered lives; but now I read that a new generation has been spawned to endure a life of futility pursuing an imaginary doctrine dreamed up by the now deceased Jack Hickman.
In March of 1982 I attended a meeting where Nancy Boles spoke. She told of a conversation in which you informed her of immorality behind the scenes going on with Lou Ramu. When Nancy came upon other information that would directly impact her family she contacted you for a further explanation as to what was going on. You and Nancy went to see your brother Dennis who revealed to a great extent the chicanery of Jack Hickman. What sticks out in my mind was how Nancy related that on the way home that night you were lamenting that after all was said and done at the end of the day you had to face the realization that you were just an ordinary 26 year old social worker. Apparently living out Jack Hickman's imagination was the only life you knew from when you were in your teens. One thing is for sure. In your heart of hearts you know this whole thing is a lie.
I want to tell you where I am coming from. In October of 1976 I was informed that I was to participate in a winter survival trip. I was just short of 21 years old, very naive, had never been on a camping trip and did not particularly like cold weather. There were seven of us plus you and Larry. Having been given a list of items to bring in order to be prepared for the trip it seemed odd that you specifically requested that we each bring a pair of shorts and a tee shirt. Well on December 26, 1976 we all met in Southold and spent the day learning about cross country skiing. It was after sunset that you brought us outside to the lake behind the house. We had all stripped down to shorts and a tee shirt. The lake was frozen over. A hole was cut in the ice and each of us was lowered into the water up to our necks for approximately twenty seconds or so. The purpose being that in the case of an accident in the wildernes we would know to control our body temperature.
Before dinner as we were preparing our backpacks I pulled you aside and asked you for my keys and my wallet as I decided I had to be out of my mind to be going on this trip. You responded by telling me that we would talk about it later on in the evening. Little did I know that in the middle of dinner you would tell everyone that I had something to share with the group. After I explained to everyone my misgivings about going on the trip there was a short discussion and then a vote. It was unanimously decided that I was going on the trip. The trip was somewhere in the mountains upstate. The first night in the tent I flipped out and had to be calmed down by my tent mate. I did not know at the time that I alarmed everyone in the camp as they all heard what was going on. However, by the third night you had expressed amazement at how I pulled myself together; how I owned up to something that I had to go through. That was a trip that changed me in many ways and I will never forget it.
When Jack Hickman announced on January 16, 1982 a reappraisal of the community I was frantic and completely devastated over the thought of being excluded from the community. I hardly knew what life was apart from the community as I became invovled shortly after high school. He played a very dangerous game with people's emotions. Over the next few weeks I learned the concept of the community was built on a top to bottom lie. I slowly learned to move on. It was only then that I began to grow up. Life has over the years been filled with many hard providences that I have learned I could not run from or side-step, however hard I might have tried. Nevertheless, the God of heaven and earth has sustained me through many trials all of these years.
I leave you with this. On December 26, 1976 you made me stand up and face the music; I told everyone how I wanted to sneak out and go home that night. I challenge you this day Richie Walsh to stand up and tell everyone including yourself that the whole Hickman thing is a lie.
I would have liked to reveal my name but I am honoring the wishes of the modreator of this site.

Isn't RICHIE WALSH the SOCIAL WORKER who was in charge of TEENAGE BOYS when he worked at a group home on Long Island called THE MELVILLE HOUSE?
His brohter Dennis was one of Hickman's lovers?
He stayed in the group after 1981?
High ranking member?
Is he still a SOCIAL WORKER?
Does he still have charge over YOUNG TEENAGE BOYS?

Date: July 06, 2011 11:57PM

]

Isn't RICHIE WALSH the SOCIAL WORKER who was in charge of TEENAGE BOYS when he worked at a group home on Long Island called THE MELVILLE HOUSE?
His brohter Dennis was one of Hickman's lovers?
He stayed in the group after 1981?
High ranking member?
Is he still a SOCIAL WORKER?
Does he still have charge over YOUNG TEENAGE BOYS?[/quote]

Were Ms. J. Winters and Ms. R. Cohen aware of Mr. Walsh's involvement with this group during the time that he counciled young teenage boys?
Does he still council people? Have members of this cult ever been counciled by him?

Doesn't Gary Coons, the former lover of Jack Hickman and, current leader of this group....have an adopted brother-in-law?
Was he adopted as a teen?
Just wondering....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2011 12:04AM by Sallie.

Date: July 07, 2011 12:14AM

Cult leaders teach us to FEAR PEOPLE based on their thoughts and/or beliefs?
Why?
There are no laws against thought.
Cult leaders then teach us to love and embrace and be UNAFRAID of PEOPLE who commit sex crimes against children?
Why?

Date: July 07, 2011 01:13AM

Doesn't the NEWSDAY article say that young DENNIS WALSH felt obligated to catch JACK HICKMAN's seed in 1982?
Wasn't RICHIE WALSH the older brother of Dennis?
Wasn't RICHIE WALSH a SOCIAL WORKER who was COUNCILING YOUNG BOYS at Melville House in 1982?
Melville house was a home for EMANCIPATED MINORS.
Was Gary Coons' brother - in - law at one time an emancipated minor who was then ''adopted'' by his in-laws???

Did Richie ever council Dennis before .....during...or after the time that YOUNG DENNIS somehow felt co-erced into catching Jack's seed?
Many many many anonymous posters on this site like to ''COUNCIL''?? others .
Many anonymous posters on this site claim to have degrees in psychology and/or social work.

Posted by: exfollower ()
Date: July 07, 2011 03:01AM

rrmoderator
exfollower:

Personal attacks against members of this message board are not allowed and against the rules.

Please don't descend into a "flame war" or bickering on this thread.

This thread is specifically about "Jack Hickman" and his group.

Stay focused on that topic.

This is not the place for religious debates about what is or is not the "truth".

MOD. - i wasn't attacking, just trying to clear up misunderstandings (attacks, inferences?) against myself & others.

This thread is specifically about "Jack Hickman" and his group. - i assume you also refer to, people like myself, that left JH; AND, how we have 'gotten on w/ our lives'.

This is not the place for religious debates about what is or is not the "truth" - I agree. and i do not want to debate such things on this thread. BUT, i was not the one that brought up 'christianity' (sallie did); i'm just responding to her strange inference towards me.

Date: July 07, 2011 06:46AM

rrmoderator
To whom it may concern:

The history of a group is important.

For example, if abuses did occur and the current leadership refuses to acknowledge this and/or covers up, it demonstrates persistent problems with accountability.

See [www.culteducation.com]

Ten warning signs of a potentially unsafe group/leader.

1. Absolute authoritarianism without meaningful accountability.

2. No tolerance for questions or critical inquiry.

3. No meaningful financial disclosure regarding budget, expenses such as an independently audited financial statement.

4. Unreasonable fear about the outside world, such as impending catastrophe, evil conspiracies and persecutions.

5. There is no legitimate reason to leave, former followers are always wrong in leaving, negative or even evil.

6. Former members often relate the same stories of abuse and reflect a similar pattern of grievances.

7. There are records, books, news articles, or television programs that document the abuses of the group/leader.

8. Followers feel they can never be "good enough".

9. The group/leader is always right.

10. The group/leader is the exclusive means of knowing "truth" or receiving validation, no other process of discovery is really acceptable or credible.

Ten warning signs regarding people involved in/with a potentially unsafe group/leader.

1. Extreme obsessiveness regarding the group/leader resulting in the exclusion of almost every practical consideration.

2. Individual identity, the group, the leader and/or God as distinct and separate categories of existence become increasingly blurred. Instead, in the follower's mind these identities become substantially and increasingly fused--as that person's involvement with the group/leader continues and deepens.

3. Whenever the group/leader is criticized or questioned it is characterized as "persecution".

4. Uncharacteristically stilted and seemingly programmed conversation and mannerisms, cloning of the group/leader in personal behavior.

5. Dependency upon the group/leader for problem solving, solutions, and definitions without meaningful reflective thought. A seeming inability to think independently or analyze situations without group/leader involvement.

6. Hyperactivity centered on the group/leader agenda, which seems to supercede any personal goals or individual interests.

7. A dramatic loss of spontaneity and sense of humor.

8. Increasing isolation from family and old friends unless they demonstrate an interest in the group/leader.

9. Anything the group/leader does can be justified no matter how harsh or harmful.

10. Former followers are at best-considered negative or worse evil and under bad influences. They can not be trusted and personal contact is avoided.

Ten signs of a safe group/leader.

1. A safe group/leader will answer your questions without becoming judgmental and punitive.

2. A safe group/leader will disclose information such as finances and often offer an independently audited financial statement regarding budget and expenses. Safe groups and leaders will tell you more than you want to know.

3. A safe group/leader is often democratic, sharing decision making and encouraging accountability and oversight.

4. A safe group/leader may have disgruntled former followers, but will not vilify, excommunicate and forbid others from associating with them.

5. A safe group/leader will not have a paper trail of overwhelmingly negative records, books, articles and statements about them.

6. A safe group/leader will encourage family communication, community interaction and existing friendships and not feel threatened.

7. A safe group/leader will recognize reasonable boundaries and limitations when dealing with others.

8. A safe group/leader will encourage critical thinking, individual autonomy and feelings of self-esteem.

9. A safe group/leader will admit failings and mistakes and accept constructive criticism and advice.

10. A safe group/leader will not be the only source of knowledge and learning excluding everyone else, but value dialogue and the free exchange of ideas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2011 06:49AM by Sallie.

Posted by: dkj17 ()
Date: July 07, 2011 08:16AM

This is mostly to Sallie, but I think it is relevant for all on the forum to think about.

I am wondering, Sallie, what your motivation is for being on this forum. You seem to be really sincere about changing or helping members and ex-members of this cult, but I fail to see any real, practical ideas on how to do this.

What are your thoughts on how current members who are beginning to question can be helped or supported? What kind of support are you getting for yourself around this issue? What do you think is the path for healing for those not yet healed from their experience?

You stated: The purpose of this message board is to HONESTLY discuss destructive cults, controversial groups and movements.
Let's never forget the victims who still suffer.
Let's never forget the CHILDREN still trapped by the wiles of vicious narcissistic leaders.
Let's never tolerate those whose happiness is found through the suffering of others.

I agree with your sentiment, however I am yet to see suggestions of how we can help in a real and practical way. There are human beings all over the world who are oppressed by governments, religions and other ideological groups. This is not right or fair anywhere.

I am not throwing up my hands and declaring that it is hopeless. I have offered on this forum to help members to leave and find safety and shelter. I don't know what else I can do and no one has contacted me. I am sincerely wondering what kind of support those of us who have left can offer. Unfortunately, people that are still "in" have to want to question and want to leave.

I am pretty sure that continuing to post and repost about the abuses that went on is not helpful and may cause those who are still involved to feel defensive. I have actually seen very little denial about those issues here. I have not seen anyone post that cults are good or not dangerous.

I am truly sorry for the obvious pain that you are still in. What are you doing to help yourself heal? One needs to be healing in order to help others. I have spent countless hours in therapy figuring out why I was so susceptible to joining this cult. This has certainly helped me to heal my life.

What can we do here to support each other in the healing process? What can we do to reach out to current members?

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: July 07, 2011 09:16PM

dkj17:

This message board is for those affected in some way by cults, controversial groups, movements and leaders to share information.

It is not a substitute for professional counseling.

See [www.culteducation.com]

This is the recovery section of the Web site. Please note that this page includes a directory of recovery resources prominently linked.

Anyone can potentially be "susceptible to joining [a] cult".

Children brought in by their parents have no choice, but to join.

It seems like this thread has often been "trolled".

That is, people have come here in an effort to subvert the thread, e.g. by changing the subject, launching personal attacks, questioning members, etc.

Perhaps Sallie's reaction can be best understood within that context, i.e. whenever someone seems to be engaging in apologies for the group and/or minimizing its destructiveness, she has examined, she then reiterates. clarifies and asks questions concerning the group's history.

The healing process for many former cult members and affected families often includes discussing what went wrong in the group and how it hurt people, i.e. coming to terms with the pain and grief caused by the group.

Current Page: 76 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.