Current Page: 12 of 19
George Geftakys
Posted by: lurker ()
Date: November 13, 2002 05:50AM

It's interesting to read everyone's posts. I faded away from the assembly a couple of years ago after 10 years of involvement with the Fullerton Assembly. I lived in Brothers' houses for 6 years. I say "faded away" because my involvement waned to the point that I would rarely attend meetings. I considered my self as having "left fellowship" when I moved out of the area.

I chose "lurker " for my username because I still want to remain anonymous, but I did feel like posting.

not just a lurker anymore (hehe)

ps. Perhaps a new thread is in order?

Options: ReplyQuote
George Geftakys
Posted by: ex-Geftakys ()
Date: November 13, 2002 10:50AM

Hello Lurker...and everyone else.

<<It was through this man that I was put in touch with Obeadun Falaky. He was a brother who George maligned one night at the prayer mtg. "He's a very week brother..." This is far from the truth.
>>

David, is this the same guy who lived with Keith Walker for a while? I remember him too, a very kind man who seemed like he tolerated everyone quite well. When he moved back to Nigeria, I think he was expected to be a big contact for the ministry, so he must have dissappointed George.

Isn't it great how George maligned him in the prayer meeting. It reminds me of all those times Jesus maligned people for being weak....uh, umm, well anyways, George is a godly man...

Brent

George Geftakys
Posted by: terry huffman ()
Date: November 13, 2002 11:52AM

Greetings to David and all you non-mystics ( Ha HA):
Thanks for the info David. Years ago I understand that when Geo was first coming to the Midwest, a gentleman from the Ply Brethren, Dan Smith, also had been invited and spoke I think either in Champaign or Tuscola, Illinois. It turns out Geo bad-mouthed him, too, and accused him of "trying to take credit for the Lord's work." I just have a bare bones outline and wd. appreciate it if anyone out there who knows more cd. fill it in.
It seems that Geo used to mention Bakht Singh from time to time. My feeling now is that Geo(he acted as if they were friends) used him as a confirmation or recommendation for Geo's ministry. I don't think George was ever invited to speak at a B-Singh assembly, but was told that B-Singh supposedly encouraged the Indian assembly in Chicago to attend Geo's assembly there. Again it wd. be interesting to know....
Terry

George Geftakys
Posted by: Greg Tobin ()
Date: November 13, 2002 02:12PM

Does anybody know whatever happenned to Ran Bates? (I think that's his name) I remember he moved to SLO (from Fullerton) for health reasons and then disappeared. I think Linda's wedding was the last time I saw him.

George Geftakys
Posted by: Mark Campbell ()
Date: November 13, 2002 11:42PM

Hi Greg,
Yes, I know where Rand is and I have his address if you are interested in writing him. At my last contact with him he did not have a computer. He is living in Texas now and is going to a Evangelical church there.
I talked to him about why he left and he felt the Assembly had abandoned their earlier high prinicples and that he couldn't fellowship there any longer. He was somewhat defensive of the Assembly as he felt God was in the group, at least in the beginning.
Brent may know more of the details of why he left.
God Bless, Mark

George Geftakys
Posted by: david mauldin ()
Date: November 14, 2002 12:10AM

I have kept in touch with Rand, he attended Atascadero Bible Church for a while and last I heard from Dave Sable he moved to Texas. Rand is still Rand, very deap thinker, very avid reader and the last surviving member of the Bachelor to the rapture club.

George Geftakys
Date: November 14, 2002 12:28AM

I'm not sure where Obiadun lived while in Fullerton He was from Cal Poly Pomona, while at Cal Poly he was involved with the Clarmont (Plymouth Bretheren Assembly) He was in our Country illegally yet instead of encouraging him to get a Green card George wanted him to go back to Nigeria and become part of the work there. (George made it a spiritual issue. "It is sin for you to be here!" When he did go back he was
shunned by his family, also he could not live in the same area of his family which meant he had to live in an area where his tribe was not welcome. He had very little opportunity for a job and recieved no help from George or the "saints" Later he did lead his father to Christ and was allowed to live again in west Nigeria. He is married and has recently moved to Oregon!

George Geftakys
Date: November 14, 2002 12:38AM

Terry Steve Irons detailed that situation reguarding Dan Smith in a paper he wrote. I don't have a copy and I havn't heard from Steve in almost a year. My take on Bahkt Singh is the same as yours, George was refused an acomodation and needed someone to justify his ministry. I think he duped Mr. Sigh into thinking that the assembly was a place where Mr. Sigh could have a large amount of influence. Yet as time went on I think hMr. Singh saw that this was really Georges' church. I am not sure if Mr. singh is still alive?

George Geftakys
Date: November 14, 2002 12:41AM

Brent, I just wanted to say how much I enjoy the website [www.geftakysassembly.com] I will be sending more info!

George Geftakys
Posted by: Mark Campbell ()
Date: November 14, 2002 01:47AM

Hi All,
David, I also remember Steve Iron's article re. Dan Smith, but couldn't find the copy here. If we could get in touch with Steve we probably would have a wealth of particulars re. the situation.
I remember hearing Bahkt Singh on his visit's to Fullerton. On his last couple of visits he always preached the same message from Revelation on the Church of Laodicea. I found it interesting that the Lord put such a message on his heart for the Assembly at the time, but now I understand; the Lord was on the outside and knocking to get in.
Terry, I hope you understood what I meant by mysticism in my post. What I was critical of was the Eastern Religious brand of inner light that George was flirting with, not the Christian experience of communion with God. I recognize the bible teaches the need of the Holy Spirit to give us light to understand the bible, but it is not in the manner that George taught. The words of scripture form logical sentences from which we can understand the meaning. It is our own thinking that is darkened and must be illuminated by the Holy Spirit not the text of scripture that is corrupt. We are blinded by our refusal to accept what it says. George would change (like the ear of corn Greg mentioned) the text itself and would justify it by saying you need special insight into what the words actually mean! George has mentioned needing "special spectacles" to see what the words are saying (sound like the angel Moroni?)
Mr. Lurker, Welcome:) Good to have you on-board. If I, or anyone else, can be of any help please e-mail one of us. Please visit the geftakysassembly.com website and see if there is anything there that you find interesting/helpful. It is suprising how many ex-Assembly folks there are in the world (I think there are more ex than present members). MC3073@aol.com
God Bless, Mark

Current Page: 12 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.