Re: Former SGI members
Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: May 13, 2010 03:48PM

Hi 'Blue Lady'

I guess the name you gave yourself to post here says something about your mood too. I hope however, that you will find some contacts here that will help you to get out of that. 45 years is a very long time, but at the same time it shows also that for many more it seems to become simply to much of a burden. I was in 20 years, some here over 30 some are 'fortune babies'. I think Wakatta made some very good pints to which I have nothing to add right now. All I want to do is welcome you here and do not give up - your are not alone !!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Blue Lady ()
Date: May 14, 2010 01:59AM

There are more of us than anyone knows. I have 2 district leaders in the same district who had issues with the boldness of and old time member taking over the planning of the meeting.
They never once spoke to each other about it. THey both assume the other one was ok with it. Until I and the other Chapter Leaders sat down with them and ask how they felt about this person just in general. Then they revealed how the both felt to each other. I was amazed they had not said a word. I think to them it was slander to tell the truth

Date: May 14, 2010 02:05AM

I hear you. a lot of members ignore the mentor and disciple . I hear them talk about it when the view the monthly videos. I dare say if something really bad happend - I think a good part of the organization where I live would disappear and practice at home. Most of them do anyway. The particiapation and exchitement is only with the youth division. I see the tired faces and the doubts.
I guess at this moment in my life I only listen to what resonates with me . I keep learning new things about Buddhism in my readings other then SGI.

Date: May 14, 2010 02:09AM

thanks.
I use to feel horrible and miserable if my shakubuku's did not want to attend a meeting or get a Gohoznon. Now I do not care how they live thier life. I have given up on the whole idea of pushing and proding someone to chant.
I have a member who is now training to be a Sufi - she told me chanting took to long for her. Maybe she is right.

Date: May 14, 2010 02:09AM

thanks.

Posted by: DavidM ()
Date: May 15, 2010 09:02AM

Blue Lady
thanks.
I use to feel horrible and miserable if my shakubuku's did not want to attend a meeting or get a Gohoznon. Now I do not care how they live thier life. I have given up on the whole idea of pushing and proding someone to chant.
I have a member who is now training to be a Sufi - she told me chanting took to long for her. Maybe she is right.

I was only in SGI for 4 - 5 years, so I don't think its really my place to give you advice. But what you said here I thought was really important.

You said that a member told you that chanting was taking 'too long for her'. If you look at your own situation, after the many years of practice, do you feel you have attained peace of mind, buddha nature, enlightenment? Do you know anyone else in SGI who has attained those things?
If not, then what would the guidance from SGI be, do more activites, go to more meetings, shakabuku more people? Do you really think those are the actions that will bring you spiritual peace and happiness?

Maybe it is time for you to take care of yourself. SGI likes to say 'expand your life' by doing more activities and shakabuku'ing people, but what about your own heart and mind?

Posted by: evergreen ()
Date: May 15, 2010 12:21PM

hey all
feeling really angry right now. My parents just called to ask if they could bring my five year old to the Rock the Era rehearsals for the Elementary School Division. As a side note, I tried to start a toddler group years ago and you wouldn't believe the bullshit I had to go through - local, regional leaders and even other mothers ("you have to meet here and not there"& "your only obstacle is yourself because you have not connected to Sensei's guidance" & "really chant"). The biggest problem was that they thought I should just bring my then 2 year old to School Age/ESD meetings. I'm still sore over that, and now when I have left for good they still have no shame. People are desperate to have large numbers at this meeting above all else. How ridiculous, manipulative, and deliberate. I couldn't believe it. Actually someone had called me a month earlier to ask if she could participate. When I told her no, I didn't go into detail with her. I guess this has taught me that I have to actually spell it out to everyone. I was trying to be civil. Now I will have to tell people not to contact me anymore. I think it was wayfarrer who mentioned how concrete and adamant he had to be to get members to stop calling him. hope things don't get too ugly cause I'm pissed.

Rock the Era. What the hell does that even mean?

Posted by: lthomas ()
Date: May 15, 2010 02:23PM

quote from evergreen: hey all
feeling really angry right now. My parents just called to ask if they could bring my five year old to the Rock the Era rehearsals for the Elementary School Division. As a side note, I tried to start a toddler group years ago and you wouldn't believe the bullshit I had to go through - local, regional leaders and even other mothers ("you have to meet here and not there"& "your only obstacle is yourself because you have not connected to Sensei's guidance" & "really chant"). The biggest problem was that they thought I should just bring my then 2 year old to School Age/ESD meetings. I'm still sore over that, and now when I have left for good they still have no shame. People are desperate to have large numbers at this meeting above all else. How ridiculous, manipulative, and deliberate. I couldn't believe it. Actually someone had called me a month earlier to ask if she could participate. When I told her no, I didn't go into detail with her. I guess this has taught me that I have to actually spell it out to everyone. I was trying to be civil. Now I will have to tell people not to contact me anymore. I think it was wayfarrer who mentioned how concrete and adamant he had to be to get members to stop calling him. hope things don't get too ugly cause I'm pissed.

Rock the Era. What the hell does that even mean?

Evergreen in your situation anger is quite normal and can be healthy, however (and I don't know because I am not in your head) if you are feeling as if this situation is going to make you feel more uncomfortable and more pressured, the best thing to do (I believe) would be to tell them no, plain and simple. You do not owe them an explanation. I understand this may be an unpleasant situation but once it's done it's done and the feeling won't last forever. I say this because when I quit for the second time, I would run into SGI members left and right and I still do. Whenever they ask me why I quit ( and yes they do want a long explanation no matter how many times you tell them you no longer want to practice) I just tell them with a straight face that it did not work out for me. I no longer offer anymore explanations. Of course this could be difficult, because then they want to start telling you how much you need the organization and they want to damn near condemn you to a life of hell. But you know what, oh well that's their problem not mine. Is it awkward? Of course, but I no longer feel the need to explain myself anymore. I just can't and I won't, because we all know that for every explanation we give them they are always going to have a rebuttal.

Take Care,
Lthomas

Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: May 15, 2010 03:52PM

five year olds in a "rock the era" rehearsal ???? what the hell is that rock the era anyway.

evergreen just tell them you do not wnat this cult bs thrown on your kids --- and yes spell it out CULT. cause thats what this sort of lunatic behavior is called - CULT.

PS: I do understand your anger though.

Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: May 15, 2010 11:37PM

Rock the Era is a homage to Sensei. Its full name is, Rock the Era for Sensei. It's other purpose is to gain youthful converts. in a sense, it is a modern battle cry, not unlike, "Onward Christian soldiers!":

"I want you to fight and advance bravely, as valiant young warriors, in the proud battle to spread the Law.” -- Toda

However, from the name, Rock the Era for Sensei, we see that it is hardly a battle to spread the Law but rather, a battle to spread the warped principles of Soka and of Ikedaism.

Mark

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2010 11:38PM by Nichijew.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.