Re: Former SGI members
Posted by: rattyboy ()
Date: May 01, 2010 04:53AM

I'm tired of reading about the 190+ honorary degrees received by Daisaku Ikeda mentioned by SGI defenders. Do we know that some sort of financial or political contribution has been made to allow this virtual unknown to allegedly have 'the world's record' in receiving these honors over the real humanists and contributors to society?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: May 01, 2010 08:39AM

Front Page World Tribune February 16, 2010

World Tribune February 16, 2010

Daisaku Ikeda Receives 259th Award from the Devries Online College

WT Hamtramck Michigan, 02/03/10
For his outstanding achievements in Home Economics [bringing millions home to Japan for himself and his Vice Presidents], the Devries College awarded Daisaku Ikeda with his 259th honorary degree and the key to their online community. Unfortunately, Sensei was not able to attend the ceremony which was held at the Devries Online Computer Center in the Detroit neighborhood of Hamtramck. Hiramasu Ikeda, however, was pleased to receive the award for his father. Hiramasu talked about the revitalization of Detroit Michigan thanks to his father’s ongoing dialogues with Reverend Al Sharpton. Hiramasu related to the members that, during the first of their historic meetings, Reverend Sharpton hailed the Yemeni immigrants, both legal and illegal, as the bedrock of this predominantly polish community. Reverend Sharpton also praised the new Mosque across from the Devries Computer Center and Sensei concurred adding, “this beautiful community of ethnic and religious diversity is the hope for all mankind.” Sensei also brought up one of Hamtramck’s native sons, Rodney Dangerfield stating, “I don’t get any respect from the real Nichiren Buddhists and he didn’t get any respect from anyone.” Everyone was in a joyous mood at this profound award ceremony.

WT 02/07/2010

May Contribution Is Just Around the Corner

Many members have been asking if it is too early to contribute? Danny Nagashima, SGI-USA General Director, responded to this very question with a question of his own at the January 18th Headquarters leaders meeting, right after the Daisaku Ikeda video presentation: “Is it too early to gain benefit?”. He went on, ” It is never too early to contribute to the May Campaign and it is never to early to gain more benefits.” He related the story of Orlando Cepeda who, through a myriad of bad investments, was nearly broke until he met Sensei. Sensei told him how, he too was nearly broke until he bought the four Renoir paintings from the Louvre Museum in Paris to donate to the members. He ponied up his last four million dollars and he is now a billionaire. Immediately after returning to the states, Mr Cepeda donated his last ten thousand dollars and, the next day, he became the national spokesperson for Churches Fried Chicken. You must be wondering by now, when can members begin to contribute? The commemorative May 2010 contribution period is actually from today, February 7, 2010 until February 6, 2011.

How can members contribute?

Financial contributions can be made in the following three ways:

• In person at your local SGI-USA culture or community center, by cash, check, money order or credit card;

• By mail with a postage-paid business reply envelope from your local SGI-USA center using a check, money order or credit card;

• On our Web site at www.sgi-usa.org by credit card.

What if members have questions? If you have further contribution-related questions, please call the toll-free hotline at (866) 501-3220 (within the United States). Hotline representatives are available weekdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. PDT throughout the commemorative contribution period. Messages left after business hours will be returned during regular hotline hours.

The Soka Gakkai International-USA is a religious, non profit organization and gifts to it WERE tax-deductible under the provisions of Internal Revenue Code Section501(c)(3)

Nichijew World Tribune Reporter extraordinary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2010 08:44AM by Nichijew.

Posted by: tsukimoto ()
Date: May 01, 2010 09:46AM

rattyboy
I'm tired of reading about the 190+ honorary degrees received by Daisaku Ikeda mentioned by SGI defenders. Do we know that some sort of financial or political contribution has been made to allow this virtual unknown to allegedly have 'the world's record' in receiving these honors over the real humanists and contributors to society?

Rattyboy, Anticult copied a list of Ikeda's honorary degrees from Wikipedia. It's on page 29 of this thread. Most of the degrees come from universities in poor countries: several from universities in China, as well as Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Mongolia, India, Sri Lanka, Uzbekistan, Kyrgystan, Belarus, Russia, Ghana, Kenya, Bolivia, Peru, Serbia, Cuba, Bulgaria and the Dominican Republic.

What's the common denominator? These countries are very poor, and many have sketchy human rights records. Their leaders are in a quandry. If the country is to advance, it must offer higher education to more of its people...but education is expensive. The average person can't afford tuition -- and the ruling class isn't about to spend its wealth educating poor but deserving young people. You probably wouldn't even have to donate that large a sum to get an honorary degree.

And really, what does someone in a university in Uzbekistan or Bulgaria know about Ikeda? Ikeda has such great PR --He's written books! He's written peace proposals and sent them to the U.N.! He's founded schools, research centers, art museums! Why, he's right up there with Gandhi and Martin Luther King Junior! People from Japan, America, western Europe buy into this hype, why wouldn't someone in Laos or Ghana?

It's telling that not one degree is from a university in Japan. Rothaus, on the same page, posted that German universities have very strict standards for awarding honorary degrees. Guess what, Ikeda doesn't have any degrees from any German universities either.

Devries Online College? Is this even a legitimate, accredited school?

Re: Former SGI members:Harvard and President Ikeda
Date: May 01, 2010 10:42AM

Millionaire in Harvard Square -- Ikeda's "Harvard" Connection, by Laurence O. McKinney

[www.webmindful.org]

-----------------------Beginning of Quote---------------------------------------------------------

"And yet Harvard itself is not invulnerable to the ambitions and strategies of those who wish to associate themselves with the world's most legitimizing authority.....With each college and university department and graduate schools operating with varying degrees of autonomy, it is not that difficult to create the suggestion of acknowledgment or affiliation which may in fact not exist...."

...."It would take a five year strategy, the assistance of a few well meaning academics, and million of Japanese dollars, to try to convince the world that Daisaku Ikeda, recently excommunicated civilian leader of the massive Japanese based Soka Gakkai was in fact a legitimate spokesman for world Buddhism and respected at major world academic centers, chiefly among them Harvard University itself."

..."Harvard Professor Christopher Queen, lecturer in Buddhism and Dean of the Extension School at Harvard, mentioned that the Soka Gakkai were doing some interesting things in Cambridge and had high praise for the Executive Director, Virginia Strauss. Following his lead, I called and spoke with her about an interview for CyberSangha. The Boston Research Center for the 21st Century was not Boston SGI she explained, but an international research center dealing with broad based social issues."

"In a paper published last year by Ms. Straus herself in the scholarly journal Buddhist Christian Studies. At the end of the article, which extolled the work of President Ikeda throughout, was a sentence or two which immediately caught my eye. "In September 1993, Ikeda founded the Boston Research Center for the 21st Century. His lecture, 'Mahayana Buddhism and 21st Century Civilization', delivered at Harvard University just prior to the Center's opening, became the founding spirit."

I was there when that 1993 talk occurred, and remembered it well. Faced with increasing controversy in Japan, Ikeda was not on anybody's welcome mat, and certainly not Harvard's. The talk was given at a small auditorium in the basement of the Department of Asian Studies which had been privately reserved by a member of the faculty sympathetic to his teachings. No Harvard official invited him or greeted him, there was no scholarly interchange, few if any members of the Boston SGI could get in to see their beloved sensei, and fewer Harvard students.

There was no departmental invitation, the Harvard Press Office knew nothing about it, and it was reported nowhere.
One Buddhist senior faculty member grumped for years afterward that he hadn't even known that Ikeda had shaken his hand until he saw it printed in various international SGI publications all that year describing Ikeda's triumph at Harvard. Nobody else even knew about it, except now in a scholarly journal where it was being portrayed as Ikeda's invitation to Harvard and Harvard's respect for his scholarship.

Daisaku Ikeda invited to Harvard? Ikeda lectured at Harvard? That would have been a stretch.

By 1992 it was becoming clear that getting a Harvard endorsement had become ichiban number one priority. He could have chanted for it but it was faster to erect a huge communications center and scholarly sound stage to create and distribute so much Ikeda and Harvard material worldwide that by the time any Harvard cat-herders realized what was up and asked him politely not to use Harvard's name quite so freely, or at least pay the trademark fee, both the SGI and every NGO they were connected with in every country would have already been saturated with so many Harvard Coxes, Galbraiths, Carnesdales, Thurmans and Thiemanns that the only audience he needed to impress would believe his name was Daisaku Harvard Ikeda, Harvard respected world Buddhist spokesman and leader.

It was a simple strategy, a scholarly 'Field of Dreams'. Just find a convenient location less than two blocks from the Harvard faculty club, get a Harvardy-like Georgian building, spend big dollars fixing and furnishing so it looks like the Harvard Overseers Library, and invite them. They will come. Let them speak on whatever they choose, pay a good honorarium, tape it, edit it, print it, and promote it worldwide. Last fall the Center gave a $20,000.00 grant to a Harvard professor at the Kennedy school. They have a lot more where that came from and a yen to spend it.
-----------------------End of Quote----------------------------------------------

#1: The Boston Research Center -- now renamed as the Daisaku Ikeda Center -- is very close to the Harvard campus, and the building is in the style of other buildings on Harvard's campus. It gives the impression that the center is a part of the Harvard Campus. It's not.

#2: Ikeda was NOT invited to lecture at Harvard. He spoke at a small auditorium in the basement of a building on the campus. An SGI member who worked on campus reserved the room for him, not an uncommon practice. In my area, we have had SGI members who have taught at area colleges. They'd often get their department's permission to use classrooms for SGI meetings. The university did not care as long as the room wasn't needed for a class, and members didn't trash the room. However, these meetings were NOT official college functions -- the SGI group was just using an empty room. The college didn't necessarily even know that it was SGI using the room, just some group of Professor Smith's.

#3: Virginia Strauss, the Boston Research Center's director, first says that the BRC is "an international research center." SGI? No, no, not us! Well, of course that was a lie, the center always was Ikeda's baby, funded with SGI money, to advance SGIkeda.

It just shows that SGIkeda will do, spend, say anything to increase Ikeda's prestige, his reputation as scholar, world leader and great visionary.

Posted by: evergreen ()
Date: May 01, 2010 11:00AM

I've never been moved by what Ikeda had to say - ghostwriters or legitimate

it figures that he would be so beloved

Date: May 01, 2010 11:37AM

From Cybersangha, Laurence O. McKinney: "..Harvard Professor Christopher Queen, lecturer in Buddhism and Dean of the Extension School at Harvard, mentioned that the Soka Gakkai were doing some interesting things in Cambridge and had high praise for the Executive Director, Virginia Strauss. Following his lead, I called and spoke with her about an interview for CyberSangha. The Boston Research Center for the 21st Century was not Boston SGI she explained, but an international research center dealing with broad based social issues."

It's not the first time that Ikeda (or his minions) have conveniently forgotten to mention SGI. They also did so on the Spirit of Knowledge Academy Charter School application, (on the Massachusetts Department of Education website.) The application listed Ikeda as "an author and educator."

See how he wants to have his cake and eat it too! He wants to be SGI president and use the SGI members for money, power, admiration. He wants to run the New Komeito Party. Yet on the other hand, he knows that certain people wouldn't want to be affiliated with him if they knew of the SGI, and the Komeito connection. The Massachusetts DOE might not want to fund a school connected with a group like SGI. So in those situations, he'll conveniently avoid mentioning SGI!

He's like a married man who likes having his nice, faithful wife at home, waiting for him and taking care of the household --- while he's out chasing other women. Knowing that many women don't want to be 'the other woman,' he takes his wedding ring off when he's on the prowl, and he carefully avoids mentioning his wife and family.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2010 11:39AM by tsukimoto.

Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: May 01, 2010 01:52PM

tsukimoto
rattyboy

Rattyboy, Anticult copied a list of Ikeda's honorary degrees from Wikipedia. It's on page 29 of this thread. Most of the degrees come from universities in poor countries: several from universities in China, as well as Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Mongolia, India, Sri Lanka, Uzbekistan, Kyrgystan, Belarus, Russia, Ghana, Kenya, Bolivia, Peru, Serbia, Cuba, Bulgaria and the Dominican Republic.

What's the common denominator? These countries are very poor, and many have sketchy human rights records. Their leaders are in a quandry. If the country is to advance, it must offer higher education to more of its people...but education is expensive. The average person can't afford tuition -- and the ruling class isn't about to spend its wealth educating poor but deserving young people. You probably wouldn't even have to donate that large a sum to get an honorary degree.

And really, what does someone in a university in Uzbekistan or Bulgaria know about Ikeda? Ikeda has such great PR --He's written books! He's written peace proposals and sent them to the U.N.! He's founded schools, research centers, art museums! Why, he's right up there with Gandhi and Martin Luther King Junior! People from Japan, America, western Europe buy into this hype, why wouldn't someone in Laos or Ghana?

It's telling that not one degree is from a university in Japan. Rothaus, on the same page, posted that German universities have very strict standards for awarding honorary degrees. Guess what, Ikeda doesn't have any degrees from any German universities either.

Devries Online College? Is this even a legitimate, accredited school?

Dear T:

Just a bit of satire. Sounds like the WT? Had you fooled. I'm just a liar, liar, pants on fire. Actually, the last part, How Can Members Contribute, was from the SGI web page.

Nichijew World Tribune reporter extroadinary

Date: May 02, 2010 03:05AM

Nichijew
Dear T:

Just a bit of satire. Sounds like the WT? Had you fooled. I'm just a liar, liar, pants on fire. Actually, the last part, How Can Members Contribute, was from the SGI web page.

Nichijew World Tribune reporter extroadinary

Aw, Nichijew, now I'm disappointed! I got to thinking I might like to get an online degree in Home Ec from Devries, and now you're telling me it's not a real school? There go my plans for a new career, teaching housekeeping skills to new Yemeni immigrants, so that they can work in the Polish resorts up on the shore of Lake Michigan.

Drat. I wonder if the University of Ulan Bator will sell me a veterinary science degree, specializing in the care and feeding of camels. I'm sure that this would lead to a lot of interesting career options.

Posted by: lthomas ()
Date: May 02, 2010 08:09AM

@ Nichijew if I had a glass of water, I would have spit it out of my mouth instead of swallowing. Devries university is sooo not a prestigous Univeristy. I know because there are some out here on the left coast where I live. And in economics? Yeah right. I think that the members know that as well but choose to be ignorant because it's a bliss. Anyways where I live- I know I've said this before but I run into SGI members left and right. I was at the farmer's market down the street from my house and I ran into my Shakabuku's husband!! It was awkward as hell. He gave me this unemotive look that let me know that I was persona non-grata. I'm not gonna lie I was nervous, only because in the pass he cussed another "YWD" member out because he felt as if his had been totally disrespected. I was wondering if anyone else here on this thread happens to run into SGI members as frequently as I do? Is so, is it awkward for you and how?

Take Care,
Lakiesha

Posted by: quiet one ()
Date: May 02, 2010 12:05PM

Hi, Lakiesha! Nice to know your real name! Yes, I run into members all of the time. One day I took my dog to the groomers and there was a member! After I left I went to Costco next door and there was another member. Then, later that afternoon I ran again into a member. I don't like conflict at all, so I am just as polite as I can be. I also still get home visited occasionally. The other day four members/leaders showed up at my house! One of them brought me a bouquet of roses. So it was me and four members of SGI sitting in my living room. I just was polite and didn't start any arguments--what's the purpose?

That guy you ran into at the Farmer's market sounds evil!

I think that all of us who haven't been out of SGI for more than a year or two will probably get contacted this month in the hopes that we will give a "May contribution" so that they can increase the number of people in their district that contributed. I remember that it gets very competitive around this time of year!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.