Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: TaitenAndProud ()
Date: April 24, 2013 03:01PM

Way to kill the thread, corboy!! :D

I kid! I'm usually the thread killer :{

Interesting links - I'm still perusing them. I am particularly interested in the "Apocalypticism" selection - here's an excerpt from the first source:

The Nichiren school of Buddhism has perhaps exercised more influence than any other on Japanese NRMs. This school was founded by Niko (1246-1233), disciple of the outspoken, militant and messianic monk Nichiren Daishonin (1222-1288) who was the son of a fisherman from southeastern Japan. The strife-ridden and war-ravaged situation of Japan in the thirteenth century provided ideal conditions for apocalypticism and for messianic figures like Nichiren to flourish. Although Nichiren probably derived much of his teaching and practice from the long-standing esoteric tradition of Japanese Buddhism, his apocalyptic, millenarian message, in which he claimed to be the one sent by the Buddha to spread the word that the then present age was the third and final age of mappo, of degeneration, can only be understood in the context of the precarious situation in the Japan of his day.

Nichiren argued for the creation of a Buddhist state as an important part of his strategy for saving Japan from disaster...
I'm sure everyone will notice right off that there is no one "Nichiren school" started by Nikko - each of the 5 senior priests at the time of the Daishonin's demise started his own sect. There's Nichiren Shu, which WASN'T started by Nikko; there's ; and, of course, the Soka Gakkai is yet another Nichiren school. Since the Soka Gakkai had to *change* its doctrines significantly enough from Nichiren Shoshu's to qualify as a sect in its own right, I'd *LOVE* to see a side-by-side comparison or list showing what the Soka Gakkai changed! Under Japanese law, a lay organization like Soka Gakkai that is excommunicated by an established religious group (like Nichiren Shoshu) cannot register as a legitimate religious group in its own right unless its doctrines are significantly different from the established religious group that excommunicated it.

Take a look:

Major Nichiren Buddhist schools

The following lists are from the Japanese Wikipedia article on Nichiren Buddhism.

Traditional schools and their head temples

Head temple names are given in Roman letters only when the reading could be confirmed. Japanese characters preceded by "ja:" link to articles in the Japanese Wikipedia.

Nichiren Shoshu: Sohonzan Taiseki-ji
Nichiren Shu: Sozan Minobuzan Kuon-ji
Honmon Butsuryu Shu ja
Kempon Hokke Shu
Hokkeshu, Honmon Ryu
Hokkeshu, Jinmon Ryu
Hokkeshu, Shinmon Ryu
Honmon Hokke Shu: Daihonzan Myoren-ji
Nichiren Honshu: Honzan Yobo-ji ja
Nichiren Shu Fuju-fuse-ha: Sozan Myokaku-ji
Nichiren Hokke Shu ja
Hokke Nichiren Shu
Hompa Nichiren Shu
Honke Nichiren Shu (Hyogo)
Fuju-fuse Nichiren Komon Shu
Honke Nichiren Shu (Kyoto) ja
Shobo Hokke Shu
Honmon Kyoo Shu ja
Nichiren Komon Shu

Non-traditional schools

Nichiren Shoshu based groups

Fuji Taisekiji Kenshokai (also, just Kenshokai) ja: Excommunicated in the 1970s [1]
Soka Gakkai Founded in 1930 by Tsunesaburo Makiguchi, excommunicated in 1991 (leadership) and 1997 (membership) [2]
Shoshinkai Founded in 1980, Excommunicated in 1981 [3]
Honmon Shoshu

Nichiren Shu based groups

Kokuchukai ja Founded in 1914 by Tanaka Chigaku
Nipponzan-Myohoji-Daisanga Founded in 1917 by Nichidatsu Fujii
Reiyukai (Spiritual-Friendship-Association) Founded in 1920 by Kakutaro Kubo and Kimi Kotani, Reiyūkai considers itself the grandfather of lay-based new religions devoted to the Lotus Sutra and ancestor veneration. [4]
Rissho Kosei Kai Founded in 1938 by Nikkyo Niwano and Myoko Naganuma [5] [en.wikipedia.org]
And *NO*, those don't all trace their lineage through Nikko!

Whoever collected that initial information must have asked Nichiren Shoshu for the background of the development of the Nichiren school *eye roll* Not your fault that that book turned out to be not particularly accurate, of course.

Here's another interesting source:

As the invasion of the Mongols grew surer, so did Nichiren's messianic self-image. Deeply ingrained in him was the conviction that he would suffer and even die for the sake of the Buddha. [journals.cambridge.org]

^ Reminds me of what we were discussing earlier.

Looking forward to checking out some of the other links soon!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: April 24, 2013 07:51PM

Where the action is:

A new thread by someone who has been in SGI and has a child.

Taiten has done some counseling there.

This is where the pedal hits the metal. Where SGI exacerbates suffering, rather than offering tools of insight.

[forum.culteducation.com]

Posted by: Hitch ()
Date: April 25, 2013 10:51AM

The $oka Gakkai CULT Org. in the motherland:

Protestors speaking out against Ikeda, the Komeito and the cult org.'s yakuza (Japanese mafia) ties. As they do so, various gakkai cult stalkers hover around them in the shadows, pretending to be smoking in the designated smoking area, mingling in the crowd taking photos and otherwise acting very arrogantly police-like. (The thin guy with glasses smoking, the chunky guy in black shirt snapping cell phone photos and the weirdo in the colorful white striped short sleeved shirt waking back-n-forth near the building entrance, are all gakkai cult undercover stalkers that can be seen at the beginning, middle, and end of the YouTube clip, respectively.) Incidentally, this is typical gakkai cult behavior in the motherland, reminiscent of $cientology in the U.S..

Take special note of the protestors' white t-shirts. A play on the "Ghost Busters" theme, they depict caricatures of the lead protestor trapping the cult ghost Ikeda with a ghost buster trapping device. Humorously appropriate.

So, despite being the homeland, where the mother ship and Cousin Rufus reside, as you can see, there is no love lost between the gakkai cult org. and normal, rational, everyday (non-gakkai members) Japanese citizens.

[www.youtube.com]

The $oka Gakkai's reputation in the motherland is exactly what you see here in this clip = A pseudo-buddhist CULT org. of Daisaku Ikeda.

- Hitch

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: April 25, 2013 11:22AM

Wonder if one can purchase one of those T-shirts?

A perfect way to support one's recovery - or help educate the public.

Who ya gonna call?

Whatcha gonna wear?

Date: April 25, 2013 01:31PM

Cool t-shirts, bro! Say, haven't those Japanese gakkai members heard that chain-smoking is *bad* for you?? They appear to be the only ones doing that in the video! We've known this is *BAD* for you for DECADES over on THIS side of the pond. Japanese gakkai members just *stoopid*??

You *KNOW*, of course, that if this protest had taken place during the Toda years or the early Ikeda years, those protesters would have been attacked and silenced by zealous YMD Soka-han!

When I visited Japan in 2006 with my Japanese best friend (a SG fortune baby), one day, we went to the HQ there in Tokyo. We were in the basement of the SG complex in a shop, and we were forced to stay in there because Ikeda was apparently walking from his compound (near the HQ) over to the HQ building for some sort of something we would not be allowed to observe. They kept us down there for, like, 45 minutes - my husband was not pleased! Neither was I!!

What a self-important gaboon!

Posted by: Hitch ()
Date: April 26, 2013 05:57PM

Very humorously accurate thread, "Nichiren Buddhism= Scientology Meets Pure Land" ($GI)

[bitterlittlebuddha.tribe.net]

A sampling of excerpts:

"Okay, am I the only one who's sick of SG Int'l?

These people are so cult-like it's creepy..and they believe in chanting for things like a new house or a car or luck in relationships and other trivial shit like that. Plus they are all (well the one's I've met)about shit talking other branches of Buddhism, especially Zen (being a Soto Zen lay practitioner, I get tired of my school getting shit on all the time)and seem to me to be just a yuppie-dharma little clique."

"Nam e - I want a cute boyfriend!

O reng - And career in television!

Ge Kyo - And a nice car!

There's a group of Nichirin buddhists who do the Dharma walks who are very nice people - not SGI at all. All the SGI people I've met are complete assholes."

"Serious question: what is the difference between people who follow this philosophy and children who believe in Santaclaus?"

"f: what is the difference

Santa Claus only bothers people at xmas."

(Hitch: HAHA!!)

"I think the most creepy of the bunch is the SGA USA branch they were in a bitter dispute with the other sects they worship something called the Gohozon (sp?) you chant to it and cool shit happens to you......Boy if that were only true!!!!"

"I was married to a very serious practitioner.

I liked the chanting part alot - very nice vibrations.
The dogma was truly superior and excusionary.
We divorced a long time ago.
When my practice started to deepen (with SGA and chanting) it became clear she was more addicted to her dogma than getting free.
Oh well."

"I lived with one for many years. The SGI are absolute masters at rationalising their absence of altruism or compassion for those less well placed. They plead karma like the 5th ammendment.

"Your problem - you get out of it, your karma put you here. If I help you I will be devaluing the lesson the mystic law (God) is trying to teach you. Now if you don't mind, I am late for the recording studio!"

One night, when they came around to my house to do their barking at their gohonzon,, a couple of them were slagging off my six year old daughter who was sat listening at the top of the stairs. The main body of their 'slander' was that she had inherited my arrogance. My arrogance being my animated questioning of their beliefs!"

"Wow, that's some major sick stuff. Now, when I'm back in OC, I see that we have a whole university, a real college campus full of those folks. Ex-professors who were non SGA are talking to the press about how Orwellian the nightmare was. I had a Nichiren roommate, who basically kicked me out of the apartment in order to move a boyfriend in who left a few weeks later. That memory was so traumatic I think I repressed it until I read that you had lived with one. There was, however, one nice one who used to, at risk of excommunication, come to our mainstream Jodo Shinshu church in Mill Valley, a real sweet guy, and not a fundamentalist; so there's a few nice ones out there. Of course I still head for the hills when I meet them in most cases. One time I tried to date one, then she confessed that she really could not consider anyone making one or two hundred thousand per year."

Entire thread, however, recommended reading.

- Hitch

Date: April 27, 2013 03:22AM

The SGI are absolute masters at rationalising their absence of altruism or compassion for those less well placed. They plead karma like the 5th ammendment.

"Your problem - you get out of it, your karma put you here. If I help you I will be devaluing the lesson the mystic law (God) is trying to teach you. Now if you don't mind, I am late for the recording studio!"
SO true! It always bothered me that I couldn't point to *any* sort of charity or humanitarian aid the SGI-USA could claim. When I approached my leaders about it, all I got were vague tales of this or that in Japan somewhere, or whatever - NOTHING anywhere where anyone could go and verify it.

That's because there *ISN'T* any. Not in Japan, not anywhere. It's a cult of pure greed and selfishness - Daisaku Ikeda's insatiable craving for every more wealth and acclaim, but the irony is that he will never be satisfied. Such is the world of Hunger.

I like the way Norton Juster illustrates the concept in "The Phantom Tollbooth", with "subtraction stew":

From Chapter 15 – This Way To Infinity

“Please have another portion,” said the Mathemagician, filling their bowls once more; and as quickly as they’d finished the first one the second was emptied too. “Don’t stop now,” he insisted, serving them again, and again, and again, and again, and again.

“How very strange,” thought Milo as he finished his seventh helping. “Each one I eat makes me a little hungrier than the one before.”

“Do have some more,” suggested the Mathemagician, and they continued to eat just as fast as he filled the plates.

After Milo had eaten nine portions, Tock eleven, and the Humbug, without once stopping to look up, twenty-three, the Mathemagician blew his whistle for a second time and immediately the pot was removed and the miners returned to work.

“U-g-g-g-h-h-h,” gasped the bug, suddenly realizing that he was twenty-three times hungrier than when he started. “I think I’m starving.”

“Me, too,” complained Milo, whose stomach felt as empty as he could ever remember: “and I ate so much.”

“Yes it was delicious, wasn’t it?” agreed the pleased Dodecahedron, wiping the gravy from several of this mouths. “It’s the specialty of the kingdom – subtraction stew.”

“I have more of an appetite than when I began,” said Tock, leaning weakly against one of the larger rocks.

“Certainly,” replied the Mathemagician; “what did you expect? The more you eat, the hungrier you get. Everyone knows that.”

“They do?” said Milo doubtfully. “Then how do you ever get enough?”

“Enough?” he said impatiently. “Here in Digitopolis we have our meals when we’re full and eat until we’re hungry. That way, when you don’t have anything at all, you have more than enough. It’s a very economical system. You must have been quite stuffed to have eaten so much.”

“It’s completely logical” explained the Dodecahedron. “The more you want, the less you get, and the less you get, the more you have. simple arithmetic, that’s all. Suppose you had something and added something to it. What would that make?”

“More,” said Milo quickly.

“Quite correct,” he nodded. “Now suppose you had something and added nothing to it. What would you have?”

“The same,” he answered again, without much conviction.

“Splendid,” cried the Dodecahedron. “And suppose you had something and added less than nothing to it. What would you have then?”

“FAMINE!” roared the anguished Humbug, who suddenly realized that was exactly what he’d eaten twenty-three bowls of.

“It’s not as bad as all that.” said the Dodecahedron from his most sympathetic face. “In a few hours you’ll be nice and full again – just in time for dinner.”

“Oh dear,” said Milo sadly and softly. “I only eat when I’m hungry.”

“What a curious idea,” said the Mathemagician, raising his staff over his head and scrubbing the rubber end back and forth several times on the ceiling. “The next thing you’ll have us believe is that you only sleep when you’re tired.”

Date: May 01, 2013 06:55AM

>>sound of crickets<<

So anyhow, I was at a restaurant for lunch today, the type where you order at the counter and then you wait and they call you to come get your food. And right after I ordered, as I was walking away from the cashier, this older woman said, "You look familiar. I think I know you." I recognized her as an SGI leader I'd known back when I was still SGI. She introduced herself (clearly, she didn't remember MY name any more than I remembered hers) and asked after my children "a little boy and a little girl". She was surprised to hear that the "little boy" is now 6'3"! She then said to me, "You used to chant Nam myoho renge kyo." And she *overpronounced* the NMRK the way they do - remember that? Like it's a magical phrase? LOL!! With a rolled "r", even! I airily replied, "Yes, but I don't any more. So are you still with the SGI?" "Oh, yeah," she confirmed, with one of those dismissive hand-waves that says "As if you needed to ask!" We chatted just a coupla minutes longer, until she was called to pick up her order, and I was glad she didn't suggest that we share a table.

It reminded me of that whole "planting a seed" nonsense, where "the faithful" will try to work the "one essential phrase" into every conversation, on the premise that if someone *hears* it, it automatically changes their life on such a deep level that it sets a chain of events in motion that will result in that person becoming a good, contributing member of the SGI. Yeah, right *eye roll*

It's funny - it's not just the SGI - I remember some years back reading something about how these Jewish people were printing Kabbalah (sp?) symbols, in Hebrew script, on T-shirts, on the premise that, if people simply *SEE* them, even without knowing what they are, they will magically transform some aspect of those people's lives. Yeah, good luck with that, guys!!

Where is everybody? Did a goon hit squad come after everyone and put a bag on 'em??

Posted by: Shavoy ()
Date: May 01, 2013 06:56AM

Soooo, I have a thought...which is, I guess all the kind acts bestowed upon me when I was chanting for answers to my prayers were....acts of CHARITY, no? Which means that SGI-ers can certainly accept charity as actual proof but not give it, yes?

Date: May 01, 2013 09:02AM

Boom!

That brings to mind something that I wasn't quite sure how to think about. One of my YWD friends, back in the day, gave her experience that, after she pledged to increase her zaimu (monthly contribution), she got a raise at work. Yippee, right?? Cause and effect, right?? Get out your wallets, people!!

What she DIDN'T mention was that her boss was our SGI HQ leader!

Where is the line? Let's suppose you meet someone who is also chanting (as YOU are) and that person has a clear need for financial assistance that YOU could easily provide. If you did, wouldn't you be functioning, in that other person's mind, as a "benefit of the gohonzon"? Would that be wrong? If you wanted to help a fellow SGI member, why shouldn't you? It seems like that was definitely frowned on, since the line between honest giving and parasitey begging would be blurred. So how it worked out was that the SGI was made up of the least charitable, most stingy people you could hope to meet - and I'm not the only one to notice that!

Also, the whole "each person must be responsible for resolving his own problems" is a poisonous victim-blaming. For example, in the US, we've got massive unemployment - people wanting to work, at the same time that we've got loads of infrastructure (roads, schools, etc.) needing repairs, plenty of supplies and tools, and equipment that's collecting dust and rusting. Any sensible government would match up the unemployed with the tools, thereby putting money in their pockets that they would use to revitalize our economy, and upgrading our infrastructure to form a foundation for future prosperity (which is exactly what happened, during and after, from the New Deal). But no.

Societal problems require societal solutions. A systemic problem in our society or our economy won't be fixed by individuals. We need a group effort. And, I might add, in matters of societal injustice and inequality, religious organizations have been woefully uninterested in using their clout and organizational strength/power to address these problems, preferring instead to blame the individuals for their plight.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.