Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: redrose ()
Date: April 18, 2012 03:40AM

Actually naming the year something special to focus on is no different any large christian church. They all sound pretty much the same.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Former SGI members
Posted by: jlynneda63 ()
Date: April 18, 2012 04:53AM

Well, I can now see what I didn't see two months ago but it isn't easy to understand because it is such a paradox & I think that is what the "Senior" leaders somewhere count on. I believe I have been used by people who have an entire different agenda than filtered down to Chapter level although IT is there! You just have to look closely. I cannot believe I allowed myself to be manipulated by a person I knew did not give a hoot about me. Luckily, she was so nasty I would never go back!! I can't believe myself.

I would like to write a book & have it published & go on all the media morning shows to share all of it!

Posted by: Shavoy ()
Date: April 18, 2012 05:14AM

redrose
Actually naming the year something special to focus on is no different any large christian church. They all sound pretty much the same.

Speaking of Christian churches....Anyone make attempts back in their days to shakabuku Christians? I gave up when it was clear to me that every single Christian I know, and I know quite a few, have such complete conviction in their faith. I mean, it's solid and sure. They convey total confidence in their belief, whereas I'd go down in flames with mine....every time. I certainly wasn't notching up more brownie points for the SGI.

I give it to my Christian peeps. And they are happy people. With life's problems and heartaches, but they feel genuine peace inside.

I started to feel no need to "break and subdue"; it felt good to release the fear of the "they are deluded, they need the SGI, nothing else" mindset.

Why are leaders so crazy in their SGI missions? That fear is such a great part of that, whether they can acknowledge it to themselves or not. What a sad drag not to be able roam freely in one's own mind.

Posted by: Hitch ()
Date: April 18, 2012 07:05AM

SGBye
Hi everyone,
I haven't posted in a long time but I've been reading and enjoying the discussion. doubtful, I enjoyed your post about the videos where Ikeda would ridicule the other leaders and how the SGI passes it off as "rapport." In a post a long while back, I wrote about how I couldn't stand the way he always treated Vice President Wada in particular. He would always command him to read things on-stage and then act very condescending towards him. Of course, Wada would always meekly oblige and come across as the most spineless man in the universe. Ikeda also seems to enjoy poking fun at portly people (he apparently doesn't own a mirror).

This is a very interesting point regarding some of the gakkai leaders. My impression of Wada (I assume we are talking about the same guy) was that he was an arrogant SOB. Therefore, it stands to reason that perhaps he is merely exercising some psychological displacement defense mechanisms in response to the way he himself is treated. An interesting dysfunctional dynamic going on here in the cult hierarchy. Similar thing applies to Ikeda and his apparent aversion to pudgy people. It would appear that despite all of his "mastery" in the art of living (being a "master in life" and all), there still seems to be some very primitive unconscious defense mechanisms controlling him (as also evidenced in the early 90's "Eccentricities of SGI Pres. Ikeda" videos that they keep having removed from the internet).

Just some random thoughts, but it sure is fascinating and something to think about.

Date: April 18, 2012 08:45AM

I recall a leader passing years ago that we all loved.He died
. He was a zone leader. Noone ever spoke of him again. Thought it was weird then. Now I get it.

I heard about a new Native American group meeting at the headquarters & was excited until I heard about how the Native songs were rewritten as Gakkai songs & I was told to take down my Native Ten Commandments which were about compassion. I left shortly
after. My husband & I both relized we had been cut off from spirit. The SGI is about EGO..which means edge God Out...no matter
by which name you use for God, if that is replaced by ego it isn't. a gathering of spirituality anymore. If y ou have to treat a person's religion with disrespect It's not ok.

Posted by: rattyboy ()
Date: April 18, 2012 12:05PM

3 or 4 years ago in one of ikeda's once a month videos he made fun of a kid who was on stage being honored at the big meeting. "Doesn't he look like a cartoon character?" ikeda said. I wish I could quote how ikeda repeated himself suggesting the kid was funny looking, goofy looking , or maybe he was just mentioning that the kid had a round face like a cartoon character. "Look at him!", or something to that effect, ikeda continued. This time I made more than an audible gasp and tried to say that I thought that was cruel, but no one heard me over the loud (always loud!) volume of the video.
Those videos had explanations at the beginning about ikeda's sense of humour and how we should understand it and explanations of the Nazi style salute of affirmation in tight unison from the rank and file white shirts in the audience.

Posted by: SGBye ()
Date: April 18, 2012 01:06PM

Hitch
SGBye
In a post a long while back, I wrote about how I couldn't stand the way he always treated Vice President Wada in particular. He would always command him to read things on-stage and then act very condescending towards him. Of course, Wada would always meekly oblige and come across as the most spineless man in the universe. Ikeda also seems to enjoy poking fun at portly people (he apparently doesn't own a mirror).

This is a very interesting point regarding some of the gakkai leaders. My impression of Wada (I assume we are talking about the same guy) was that he was an arrogant SOB. Therefore, it stands to reason that perhaps he is merely exercising some psychological displacement defense mechanisms in response to the way he himself is treated. An interesting dysfunctional dynamic going on here in the cult hierarchy. Similar thing applies to Ikeda and his apparent aversion to pudgy people. It would appear that despite all of his "mastery" in the art of living (being a "master in life" and all), there still seems to be some very primitive unconscious defense mechanisms controlling him (as also evidenced in the early 90's "Eccentricities of SGI Pres. Ikeda" videos that they keep having removed from the internet).

Just some random thoughts, but it sure is fascinating and something to think about.

Yup, I believe we're referring to the same guy. So it sounds like ol’ Mr. Wada lives in the world of animality, as the SGI-ers would say. According to the SGI website: “In this state, we are ruled by instinct with neither reason nor moral sense nor the ability to make long-range judgments. We operate by the law of the jungle and will not hesitate to take advantage of those weaker than ourselves and fawn on those who are stronger.”

Actually, that sounds like many leaders in the SGI.

Posted by: sirmrtony ()
Date: April 18, 2012 01:12PM

Please read this, I know it's long, sorry. Wow, am I glad I found this forum. I've been with the SGI since September 2011, I received my Gohonzon in November. I joined SGI because I was in a really bad depressed stage. It was the first time I ever felt suicidal. I called doctors to schedule appointments but I was not 18 at the time. I've been an Atheist ever since I can remember but I guess I was in such a bad stage, I did what I never thought I would do. I decided to join a religion. I found out about Buddhism through my 9th grade history teacher; we had a project on religion. I was automatically attracted to Buddhism. One day I just couldn't handle it so I Googled "Buddhism". I found out there was a "Friendship Center" a couple blocks from my house, so I walked. As soon as I entered, I was hit with tons of smiles (To the point where it got creepy). I've never met people so nice, I wanted to be like that, so I spoke to a worker there. (Deep down I thought these people were crazy. How can someone be this happy?) When I told them my story, I kid you not, they thought I was some sort of reborn Buddhist. They rarely get random walk-ins by people, and specially not people this young. I was saddened when they told me about the chanting. I thought it was going to be like traditional Buddhism where you meditate and learn from monks. All the leaders look like uptight businessmen. When they told me about chanting and how it is "GUARANTEED" to make you happy, I was instantly hooked. They took me into the chanting room and I quickly started chanting... I cried, I guess it was because I knew I was going to get saved from my depression. I seriously thought that destiny was what brought me to the SGI, and I though that WAS the CORRECT religion. I was treated like a celebrity, people knew my name and they always complimented on my age. I felt like I belonged. A couple days after I shakabukued myself, I shakabukued my 15 year old brother. He was hooked too. It's now April and I want out. Although I met some very nice, sane people. I mostly encountered "not-so-sane" people. I was scared. I didn't want to end up like that. So I took everything they told me, and didn't do it how they told me to do it. I was doing it my way. Some of them weren't so happy of me doing this. The entire time I was there, I kept a close eye on the behavior of people in high ranks. One time, there was a lecture by a leader named Greg Martin. After the lecture we were encouraged to ask questions. This middle aged man got up and suggested that instead of just chanting, we actually do something for world peace. He was INSTANTLY shut up and kicked out of the auditorium. I was appalled by the way these "Buddhist" behaved. They called him names and booed him! After the meeting was over I went looking for this guy to listen to what he had to say and tell him that the people were assholes. I couldn't find him. You guys will not believe this story: I would go to the friendship center every morning ( I was a local for a couple of months). Everyday I met someone new and one day I met this old man from Dutch. He approached me with "You have the eyes of an actor". I was flattered that someone would say that. He told me he was a physcologist and that he would treat members for free. I saw this as my first real benefit because before I became a Buddhist, I wanted a doctor. We met every other day. He looked creepy. One time I asked him to evaluate me and he said okay. He asked me a series of questions that haunt me to this day. "What would you do if a male friend told you to have sex with him?", "What if he gave you 10,000 dollars?". I said no to both and then he said, " Okay, this means you're a man who sticks to his true nature". I didn't want to be rude and leave, so I stayed until I could come up with a GOOD reason to go home. This guy was a fucking CREEP! He invited my brother and I to the Getty Villa, we didn't want to be rude so we said yes. The worst mistake ever. The whole trip was a soft molestation of the mind. He calls me at least once a week, I deny his calls. He sometimes even calls me on a private number. Enough about the creeps and jerks that I've met through the SGI. All the SGI cares about is chanting chanting chanting! I once was worried that I was getting a bit dependent on chanting and ALL the leaders said that there is no such thing and being dependent of chanting, instead I was "lucky" to feel like this because it would encourage more chanting. I hate the idea of worshiping someone and yes, the SGI worship Ikeda. I never liked the dude, I don't worship ANYBODY, let alone someone I don't personally know. I became a Gajokai last month. I wanted the work experience and discipline. Knowing now about the amount of money the SGI makes, I'm pissed at the fact that I was cleaning up after crazy people without pay! Chanting seriously cannot be healthy, I just worry for the people would chant for hours on end and still have no job or home. Like, INSTEAD of chanting, why not go OUT and look for a job?! I'm fed up with the money and time I need to put in. I've met a couple of cool people, I know they're cool when I have them on Facebook and they have a life outside the SGI. I'm thankful for the help I got when I needed help. I'll tell you this, chanting did not cure me of my depression, it was the fact that I was interacting with people. I really want to believe that the SGI is a cult so I can contact my district leader and announce that I will be leaving. So I'll be reading closely to this forum. Please reply to this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2012 07:44PM by rrmoderator.

Posted by: SGBye ()
Date: April 18, 2012 01:13PM

rattyboy
Those videos had explanations at the beginning about ikeda's sense of humour and how we should understand it and explanations of the Nazi style salute of affirmation in tight unison from the rank and file white shirts in the audience.

Yeah, I always loved those disclaimers: "Please ignore the cultish way that everyone kowtows to President Ikeda in this video. Enjoy!"

Date: April 18, 2012 01:32PM

Hmm...so odd reading these messages. I. feel vagely guilty then confused then perp lexed.It's just weird. Did everyone see something different at different times none of which was a good thing? Well, so much for that nonsense. If only there had been a way
to see what a mess it would make before I had the courage to leave.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.