Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: Shavoy ()
Date: April 17, 2012 01:19AM

Bad times, things, obstacles, accidents, illnesses, terminal illnesses, family discord---these happen to every one of us on this planet--regardless of religious beliefs.

The SGI has a frame for everything. But the truth is, Life is bigger, badder and more wondrous than human beings can completely fathom. Human beings look for answers, for certainty. The SGI thinks it provides this certainty, and it does not and cannot.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: April 17, 2012 02:14AM

"Isn't Joe Shmoe leader GREAT!" = Act like him or her

"Ichinen" = Bust your butt for SGI

"A true disciple of Sensei" -- An absolute unabashed Ikedabot

"What would Sensei do" -- Don't think for yourself

"Victory or defeat. Buddhism is win or lose." = Bust your butt for SGI

"Follow no matter what" -- No interpretation necessary

Posted by: SGBye ()
Date: April 17, 2012 02:19AM

I always used to hear about how the districts needed to "raise capable people," i.e. robots programmed well enough to recruit other robots.

Or how about "Never give up!," as in "Don't you dare ever give up your practice... because we need your publication money."

And talk about over-use of the word "victory." You'd think the writers of the World Tribune were having a contest amongst themselves to see who can use "victory" the most times in a column. "Victorious victors victoriously heading towards victory, blah blah victory-blah."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2012 02:24AM by SGBye.

Date: April 17, 2012 02:44AM

Don't forget how much they love to say "fundamental darkness" and "devilish functions," i.e. "anything that stops the flow of money from you to us."

Posted by: Hitch ()
Date: April 17, 2012 06:06AM

tsukimoto
MORE SGI CLICHES, TRANSLATED:

"Maintain a high life condition." " Act as if you are delighted with everything SGI, even if you're not."

"Be the change you wish to see (in SGI): " Don't ask us to change -- if you don't love SGI, you have a bad attitude and you need to do something about it."

Or, more succinctly: "Just shut up already."

"Maintain a high life condition" was also one that I heard, especially when doing toban, soka-han or MC. To me, it always meant, "be like those Disneyland greeters, plaster an over-the-top smile on your face along with exaggerated mannerisms/gestures and exude ultra-happiness for all the members."

Got to admit, I never heard the second one about "change." That one must have come after my time "in" (pun intended).

Nichijew
"What would Sensei do" -- Don't think for yourself

I remember hearing Mr. Williams saying one time that he would often frame every decision he ever made from the outset with "what would Sensei do in this situation?" Pretty ironic, given the way things turned out.

SGBye
Or how about "Never give up!," as in "Don't you dare ever give up your practice... because we need your publication money."

And talk about over-use of the word "victory." You'd think the writers of the World Tribune were having a contest amongst themselves to see who can use "victory" the most times in a column. "Victorious victors victoriously heading towards victory, blah blah victory-blah."

Re: "Never Give Up", I had the kaimoku-sho drilled into me from jr. pioneers (memorized in both Japanese and English). I repeat --> jr. pioneers ("official" kiddy age meetings)!

"Although I and my disciples may encounter various difficulties, if we do not harbor doubt in our hearts, we will as a matter of course attain Buddhahood. Do not have doubts simply because Heaven does not lend you protection. Do not be discouraged because you donot enjoy an easy and secure existence in this life. This is what I have taught my disciples morning and evening, and yet they begin to harbor doubts and abandon their faith. Foolish men are likely to forget the promises they have made when the crucial moment comes."

Don't you just love the message (i.e., threat)? In essence, they started planting the scare tactics into my mind right from the outset. I equate it to be the gakkai-buddhist version of this [www.youtube.com].

Re: "Victory", I agree, a lot of the meetings often sounded like rallies prepping people to go to war. When you're brainwashed, this kind of language washes right over you and becomes "normal" after a while. It was everywhere, in all the publications and at all the meetings, in all the "guidance", constantly being reinforced. Lovely cult/organization, isn't it.

Shavoy
Bad times, things, obstacles, accidents, illnesses, terminal illnesses, family discord---these happen to every one of us on this planet--regardless of religious beliefs.

The SGI has a frame for everything. But the truth is, Life is bigger, badder and more wondrous than human beings can completely fathom. Human beings look for answers, for certainty. The SGI thinks it provides this certainty, and it does not and cannot.

Perfectly stated, Shavoy. That's exactly how I see things as well. Certainty is an illusion wrapped up in the fleeting comforts of superstition.

Posted by: rattyboy ()
Date: April 17, 2012 09:37AM

The ikedabots access recall of highly emotional past events from a file called "Golden Memories". I let this phrase pass when someone was talking about a grueling youth division event in which they bonded with the other person they were talking about. But now it creeps me out remembering that. I think its nice when this bonding happens in real life, but really, you have to call it by a gakkai approved name? How about that Hawaii convention in the late 80s where people met their "kosen rufu partner"? That one made me think about the planned marriages by Rev. Moon.

Posted by: Hitch ()
Date: April 17, 2012 02:11PM

Here is some more sgi code and its implications:

"This is John/Mary Doe, a FORTUNE BABY." Translation = they shall be favored under all circumstances, simply because they are inherently better than you. This one is kind of like a warped divine right of bodhisattvas of the Earth theory, where one is more privileged based on their heritage, especially JAPANESE ethnicity.

Another related version is, "this is Mr./Ms. Japanese Surname from JAPAN." Translation = your sgi-usa organizational rank is directly proportional to the degree that your nose had better be brown by the time their official visit ends. I'm talking major genuflection. It applied to everyone, all the way right up to the very top. I stood in sheer amazement of Mr. Williams' obsequiousness towards Mr. Wada (the sgi #2 under Ikeda?). Wada would slither around like a slug exuding stone cold arrogance and leaving a retinue of under-leaders maneuvering for optimum brown-nosing positions in his slimy wake. Just like some kind of mafia "Don" movie.

Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: April 18, 2012 01:38AM

Here is an interesting response I got from a former "connected" Santa Monica friend regarding your question:

"i have many. i just need to recall them. one thing that popped out as a member some years ago is that the gakkai [leaders] would classify their members as A, B , or C members. A being very good. B being average and C being weak members. "he/she has lots of potential". potential for what is a good question? "he/she has strong faith" faith in what; the gakkai and ikeda?"

Reminds me... "He or she has a strong connection" [to Ikeda/SGI] = good and brainwashed follower

Nichijew

Posted by: holly_golightly ()
Date: April 18, 2012 02:05AM

Am enjoying this discussion of Soka Gakkai cliches.

What used to confuse/frustrate me was the SGI's 'theme' for each year. This year I see it is 'Year of Developing a Youthful SGI'. But hold on - doesn't that sound a bit similar to 2010 - 'The Year of the Total Victory of Soka and the Dynamic Development of Youth.' And if they had managed to develop the youth in a dynamic way in 2010 why would they need to develop a youthful SGI 2 years later ;)

And 2011, the 'Year of the Capable People and Dynamic Development' - the year I realised that the constant activities had rendered me extremely incapable of doing any else and absolutely stagnant in terms of development. It seems like they have just changed the words around a bit from 2010.

2009 'Year of Youth and Victory' - nice and short (and there's that word 'victory' again).

But 2008 - “Year of Capable People and Development” - maybe we didn't do such a good job and had to make sure it was 'dynamic' in 2011!

2007 back to the 'Year of Advancement and Victory' hmmm, do I detect a 'Groundhog day' element to all this?

I could go back even further but I just remember trying my hardest to really embrace these similar sounding themes in a desperate attempt to make them seem meaningful in my life and to talk about them in the meetings but honestly, they all merge into one very cliched theme. And I'm sure I went through whole years remembering the wrong theme.

How about this for 2013?

The Year of Totally Victorious Dynamic Youthful Advancement with Capable People Developing a Youthful SGI Victoriously!

I think I've covered all SGI bases there.

Date: April 18, 2012 02:26AM

Awesome observation, holly_golightly! Every year when the theme was announced, I always thought, "Wasn't this last year's theme?!" I'm sure many in the SGI asked themselves the same question but you're conditioned to just keep your mouth shut, don't question or criticize anything, and go with the flow.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.