Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: walknntalkn ()
Date: July 14, 2019 10:27PM

I've heard word that Bruce Larson, in addition to taking over what is left of the AMI Jerusalem Center in the wake of Shlomo Hizak's death, has been contacting former members of the San Diego congregation to "set the record straight" and possibly recruit new members for whatever is planned for Hargrave Ministries, to which as Onion previously noted, Larson was appointed Director and CFO in January: [opencorporates.com].

Apparently this has caused some controversy in the newsletters transmitted via the "transition team," with some former congregants coming to Larson's defense.

If anyone has any more information about this or similar "spinoff" attempts in San Diego or elsewhere, please let me know.

I'm also curious as to whether others named in the recent lawsuits have been reaching out to defend their versions of events. I heard (somewhat less reliably) that John Miller was starting to do some evangelizing earlier this year, but I don't know to what extent that has continued following the sexual abuse allegations.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: July 15, 2019 12:31AM

Thanks for sharing this, walknntalkn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2019 12:35AM by changedagain.

Date: July 15, 2019 12:33AM

"set the record straight"

Perhaps Rick abused a few less girls than we thought. Or Gary didn't know about every single case. This is certainly an interesting development. I'm sure these ministries will be completely forthright ;)

Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: July 15, 2019 04:01AM

"Set the record straight." Does that mean "Let me tell you how to think?" I hope that most people who have left TLWF will no longer let anyone tell them how to think again. But if former members have not examined the tactics used by cult leaders, it could happen again. Doing a little homework will be of great benefit to your future peace of mind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2019 04:07AM by Reepicheep.

Posted by: NancyB ()
Date: July 15, 2019 04:44AM

Thanks walkenntalken for the info

I wonder if "set things straight" could be coming from the "internal investigation" Gary ordered. They did have a law firm. I wonder if anyone actually contacted that one?

Date: July 15, 2019 05:07AM

"Never ask a crooked man to set things straight."
-suggested Kingdom proverb

Date: July 15, 2019 05:21AM

They desperately need people to counter the truthful narrative that's emerged on various online forums through the years regarding their cruel, exploitative reign over 'willing' subjects. I wouldn't be surprised if many ex-members are getting love bombed right about now...and reminded of acts of kindness that never occurred. Hopefully they are willing to resist this manipulation...and not place themselves back in bondage, defending these monsters. I sincerely doubt there is much difference between Hargrave Family Ministries and the recently formed Hargrave Ministries.

Date: July 15, 2019 05:26AM

A significant advantage for David Larson and Gary Hargrave, of course, is ample financial resources...thanks in large part to the blood, sweat and tears of many inhabiting these forums.

Posted by: Onion ()
Date: July 15, 2019 01:47PM

Walkntalkn - Thanks for the info on D. Bruce Larson. I've heard similar although I also heard (second hand but reliable) he has stated that Craig Haworth and Phyllis Haworth and Gary Hargrave were shepherding him through the steps to take over the Center in Jerusalem which makes me grab for a barf bucket. I understand his attempts to take over started with a visit to Shlomo's death bed to talk Shlomo into taking some steps that perhaps Shlomo would not have been talked into was he not in horrible pain with end-stage cancer at the time of the visit. Sounds a lot like 1983 in L.A.

I think the rumors about Miller evangelizing earlier this year may be a reference to the rumor that he was recruiting people for Grier's Alaska group. That rumor flowed from some misinformation concerning Grier making contact with me and inviting me to Alaska. Shortly thereafter I made my way down to San Diego to stay with the Millers so somehow it all got tangled up together in a big ball of inaccurate confusion. I did speak with Bill Grier, he was kind and not pressuring me and he put me in touch with one of my closest friends from the early Blix days and for that I am grateful to him. No I am not going to Alaska and no Millers were not recruiting for anyone or any group.

I made a pariah of myself in other TLWF survivor groups by stating that I did not believe one of the complaints filed recently. It is really difficult to know what to do when you feel someone is pretending to be a victim from a negative motivation. Long before I was ever down in San Diego, I had heard (back in October/November of 2018) that some made up claims were circulating. I don't feel a need to get into discussions concerning that, but I will say that there will always be people who try to use things for personal gain. None of us who escaped TLWF should be unfamiliar with that concept since it was used against us all for so many years. Don't be surprised when others try to do it too. Trust your gut.

Posted by: walknntalkn ()
Date: July 16, 2019 12:31AM

Thank you for weighing in, Onion. I know better than to comment on the veracity of any pending lawsuits or investigations, but I too was surprised by some of the allegations, which point to patterns of abuse far more severe than what I was able to confirm in my own research.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.