Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: July 04, 2015 09:56AM

Here is a link to a Kalona News article regarding the first graduating class of Shiloh University (2014):

[www.kalonanews.com]

A description of the university in the article:
"Shiloh University, an online seminary and Bible college founded in 2006, is a ministry of The Living Word Fellowship. Its purpose is to provide quality education and training to pastors, church ministries, and Bible teachers; and to provide college degrees taught from a Biblical perspective for students in all walks of life. Courses are offered entirely online on a 15-week trimester basis."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: poliscigrad ()
Date: July 04, 2015 10:19AM

Lily Rose

I agree completely that the challenge of "prove it" is one of the main practices of critical thinking. And you are right that higher education has not done well in cultivating that practice.

Posted by: FCSLC ()
Date: July 05, 2015 01:39AM

I’m in favor of “freedom of religion” in America. Because of this right, a certain percentage of people are going to “make their living” selling their brand. As with any product, they will advertise their brand as the best, or the original, or the legitimate, or the most accurate or the only one Jesus approves.

We as consumers should be able to discriminate among the choices available, no different than buying a new car or home.

Unlike buying a new car or home that comes with warranties and guarantees of quality, selecting a church is by trial and error with consequences sometimes hazardous to your health. After my experience with TLWF, I’m thinking churches should have “Warning Labels.”

This forum is a “Warning Label” ------- buyer beware.

Posted by: lily rose ()
Date: July 05, 2015 06:46AM

changedagain Wrote:
----------------------------------------------------

>
> I think changedagain meant empathetic. The fact
> that he can not spell it, is obviously a sign that
> he does not have it.
> Anyway, here's wishing everyone a great
> Independence Day weekend. Remember--this would an
> ideal time period for you to renounce every last
> vestige of individuality!

That's what I like about you changedagain, that you can't spell and are independent along with your grammatically incorrect way of saying my mistake... i.e."my bad."

You may be asking yourself why is firecracker lily posting on the 4th...you know "get a life." Well, I woke up a little mental today probably because polisciguy raised the specter of all you being sued for defamation and more than that I don't think that I can handle the multitudes. (Just kidding 'bout the defamation but not about being able to handle the crowds.)

I like some of the points the moderator has raised (even though we may have heard some of them before) they deserve repeating. In addition, Corboy posted last year studies involving those who were part of an inner circle were the mostly likely to be sucked in by a charismatic cult leader.

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: July 05, 2015 07:31AM

paleface Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gary gets really bothered when you wear a UC
> Berkely "Cal" hat to a ministries conference.

Hey, it was a mistake! I only realized how offensive it must have been to those in attendance as I started my 15-hour drive home. What a miserable drive it was...knowing that, once again, albeit unwittingly, I had violated a sacrosanct atmosphere.

Posted by: poliscigrad ()
Date: July 05, 2015 08:17AM

Moderator,

re: article on Foundation for Critical Thinking as a cult-like group.

I am quite surprised by that news. I'd want more than this article to conclude that the Foundation for Critical Thinking was actually a cult-like group. I attended perhaps four conferences at Sonoma State University, and on two or three occasions, I presented papers on the application of Paul's critical thinking methodology for high school history courses. The vast majority of people attending the conferences were professors from community colleges and teaching universities. The last conference I attended was probably in 2000. I developed a personal acquaintance with Paul, but not with Elder.

Although Paul and Elder were convinced of their methodologies and the theory that anchored them, it seems implausible to me that it became a cult-like group (despite their alleged sexual misconduct). Academe is populated with folks who oftentimes align themselves into this or that "school of thought", and the seminal thinkers or "fathers"/"mothers" of those schools have an elevated status. In political theory, for example, Michel Foucault and Jacques Derrida achieved celebrity status, and while they were alive they had a significant following. Slavoj Zizek has that status today. But, it would be a mistake to think that Zizek's "disciples" constitute a cult. And that's how I think Paul's foundation is better characterized.

Posted by: lily rose ()
Date: July 05, 2015 09:09AM

You know, I was in the paddy wagon when you got into your car and I could have sworn I saw the flying fickle finger of fate a top of your hat. Well done.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: July 05, 2015 06:20PM

poliscigrad:

You posted a link to this organization, which apparently has some controversy surrounding it. Given all that the people who post here have gone through I wanted to make sure they knew that.

But the topic of this thread is about The Walk and John Robert Stevens.

Let's keep pon topic.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: July 05, 2015 10:19PM

Here is information being discussed.

Posted is dated Date: July 03, 2015 06:06AM

Look for the section entitled "Moderator comment".

[forum.culteducation.com]

Posted by: paleface ()
Date: July 05, 2015 10:26PM

Well another gala 4th of July show was presented at Shiloh. It is part of Shiloh's campaign to reach out to the community and say "Hey everybody, come see our fireworks show and behold how normal we are". It really is a fantastic event. I wonder what it costs and who pays for it? I'm sure it's part of that "blank check" spending account that is given to Rick each year.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.