Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: May 03, 2023 02:37AM

True

Lilith wrote:
Yeah, we should explain ourselves. The heads of the cult required very, very, very special treatment. It was annoying in the extreme especially when they were always banging on about the ground being level at the foot of the cross. Not from where we were sitting!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: May 03, 2023 06:12AM

Lilith wrote:

Yeah, we should explain ourselves. The heads of the cult required very, very, very special treatment. It was annoying in the extreme especially when they were always banging on about the ground being level at the foot of the cross. Not from where we were sitting!

Changedagain wrote:

True

Can't stand the sight of golf carts to this day! Let alone golf carts with security guards running alongside of the chosen ones inside.

Date: May 03, 2023 06:23AM

Reepicheep Wrote:

> Can't stand the sight of golf carts to this day!
> Let alone golf carts with security guards running
> alongside of the chosen ones inside.

So silly--cult leaders desperate to appear important.

Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: May 03, 2023 10:13AM

JRS had many, many vices and was not a safe person to be around. But, try as I might, I just cannot picture him in a golf cart with guards running along beside. In a van being driven by a bodyguard, drink in hand and surrounded by adoring servants, yes. Golf cart, no. Lol.

Date: May 03, 2023 08:34PM

Something about these 'bodyguards' running next to royalty in a golf cart makes me laugh. It shouldn't, but it does.

Reep wrote:
JRS had many, many vices and was not a safe person to be around. But, try as I might, I just cannot picture him in a golf cart with guards running along beside. In a van being driven by a bodyguard, drink in hand and surrounded by adoring servants, yes. Golf cart, no. Lol.

Date: May 04, 2023 10:42PM

A few more pleasant posts--this time from May of 2018:

Posted by: changedagain
Date: May 28, 2018 04:48AM

Alexa...what is a party duper?

A person who sends out invitations to a party that never takes place.

Thanks Alexa. I've been to a few of those!

Posted by: GSchaeff
Date: May 27, 2018 03:02PM

That's funny, Changedagain. We always called that a snipe hunt, which is a practical joke where someone invites you to start a church somewhere. You break your back to find a location, get people to attend, finish your Master's in Divinity, and then watch as G&M handpick the son of somebody more connected than you to pastor it. Afterward, everyone gets a good laugh and you get to repent for your position thinking.

Posted by: GoingRogue
Date: May 27, 2018 04:22PM

So, did everyone enjoy their LW Memorial Day picnic? You know the one where you have to work all day in the sun first and hope that one of the leaders says something nice about you at some point? And they do and you feel pretty good for about five minutes. Then you realize that you just worked all day in the sun and feel sick. And you did all that just for a #$@!%& pat on the head AND you notice that all the REALLY special people have TheyCalledMeJohah's frosted mugs and you don't. And then you feel bad again, because you know that you're not special after all. And then someone reminds you of the word about God not giving brownie points. And you think, why the $#@! would I put up with this if that's true? And THEN you get to repent of your position thinking!

Posted by: GSchaeff
Date: May 27, 2018 04:59PM

The frosted mugs, yes! Or if you made the pilgrimage to Shiloh for SOP it was the golf carts you were allowed to drive. I don't know where they got those, but I can remember a few that got busted up in the woods during the amphitheater party. Only VIPs were invited there too. There was never enough beer, wings, and fireworks for all of the locals

Posted by: GoingRogue
Date: May 27, 2018 05:34PM

Anytime that RH is involved, there are sure to be golf carts. Also lots of drinking.

Note from Changed: If a leader got especially shitfaced, fell out of a golf cart injuring himself--remember the fellowship is at fault for not praying for him beforehand. I don't know why that is not obvious to more people.
/s

Posted by: TheJewel ()
Date: May 06, 2023 10:46AM

Just out of curiosity, does TLW still exist in some sense? I am just finishing up Sarah Steel’s book “Do As I Say: How cults control, why we join them,…” and She makes a statement in the glossary in the TLW entry that Gary Hargreaves shut it down.

I haven’t gotten that impression from anything else I have read - particularly here.

I thought that at least Hawaii and Brazil were still active.

Date: May 06, 2023 11:52PM

The Jewel wrote:
I am just finishing up Sarah Steel’s book “Do As I Say: How cults control, why we join them,…” and She makes a statement in the glossary in the TLW entry that Gary Hargreaves shut it down.
I haven’t gotten that impression from anything else I have read - particularly here.

Neither have I. He raises money, but I think that's under Hargrave Ministries. BTW, was 'The Living Word Fellowship' ever a legal entity? I suppose that's a moot point since Hargrave Family Ministries, post-John, oversaw everything within the fellowship. Or at least that was my impression.

Posted by: TheJewel ()
Date: May 07, 2023 12:16AM

changedagain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Jewel wrote:
> I am just finishing up Sarah Steel’s book “Do As I
> Say: How cults control, why we join them,…” and
> She makes a statement in the glossary in the TLW
> entry that Gary Hargreaves shut it down.
> I haven’t gotten that impression from anything
> else I have read - particularly here.

>
> Neither have I. He raises money, but I think
> that's under Hargrave Ministries. BTW, was 'The
> Living Word Fellowship' ever a legal entity? I
> suppose that's a moot point since Hargrave Family
> Ministries, post-John, oversaw everything within
> the fellowship. Or at least that was my
> impression.

Looks like there is still something [livingwordpublications.org]

Looks like they are still peddling the literature under the Living Word banner and logo.

Date: May 07, 2023 12:45AM

The Jewel wrote:
Looks like they are still peddling the literature under the Living Word banner and logo.

I like the fact that you can not only purchase items, but donate to the 'ministry.':
/s

Donate
Thank you for supporting the ministry of The Living Word.

Donate with PayPal button

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.