Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: kBOY ()
Date: February 01, 2021 11:40PM

2 T 2

Thank you for the heads-up and for sharing with us a glimpse of your awakening.

This unfortunate dynamic is always the result of not following the admonition, 'Call no man Father'.

Jesus (the messenger) never prioritized promoting himself, but focused instead on promoting the MESSAGE.

There are many others who have ridden the magic-carpet of celebrity and suddenly crash-landed.

[nypost.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: February 02, 2021 01:24AM

The "father" that Gary would refer to in his messages seemed to have a perpetually bad attitude, and issued not-so-veiled threats to those who weren't sufficiently obedient to him. Somehow I think this "father" only resides in Gary's head. But this mythical father accomplished the task of scaring people enough to maintain control over their lives, so he did his job. I suppose if you can't woo the congregation with love and kindness, might as well go with the time-tested tactic of instilling fear. Anyway, thank God TLWF no longer exists...or at least underwent a name change.

Our Survival Is Based On Obedience
June 29, 2018 - by Gary Hargrave

"This Word shows us that as we move out of a place
of relative safety in our walk with God and into
harm’s way, our obedience to the Father will
determine life or death. We will face lies about
the Word of God and against the Father Himself
which will attempt to deceive us into being
disobedient and losing God’s protection."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2021 01:25AM by changedagain.

Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: February 02, 2021 02:17AM

changedagain Wrote:
--------------------------------------------

Our Survival Is Based On Obedience
June 29, 2018 - by Gary Hargrave

"This Word shows us that as we move out of a place
of relative safety in our walk with God and into
harm’s way, our obedience to the Father will
determine life or death. We will face lies about
the Word of God and against the Father Himself
which will attempt to deceive us into being
disobedient and losing God’s protection."

Wow! Just under four months after that "Word from GOD" was delivered at Shiloh, the truth was finally told on the internet. I think I remember seeing that Gary had really been pushing obedience hard at that summer camp. (I was long gone from the fellowship by then. But his fear-mongering was definitely noticed on this forum.) He undoubtedly saw his kingdom crumbling and decided to scare the hell out of his shrinking flock one more time. For old time's sake, if you will. I wonder if he had any specific thoughts on how The Father would punish those who refused to bow? Horrible car wrecks? That's the one they often used to scare the kids over the years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2021 02:33AM by Reepicheep.

Date: February 02, 2021 02:58AM

But his fear-mongering was definitely noticed on this forum. :)

That it was, Reep.

Date: February 02, 2021 06:01AM

Reep wrote:
For old time's sake, if you will. I wonder if he had any specific thoughts on how The Father would punish those who refused to bow? Horrible car wrecks?

I fear being taken out by a space laser, controlled by The Father.
/s

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2021 06:01AM by changedagain.

Posted by: FCSLC ()
Date: February 03, 2021 12:49AM

Google “De rerum natura” or “On the Nature of Things” and look at the article by Wikipedia --- down several lines under the heading, “Background” you will find the following:

“To the Greek philosopher Epicurus, the unhappiness and degradation of humans arose largely from the dread which they entertained of the power of the deities, from terror of their wrath. This wrath was supposed to be displayed by the misfortunes inflicted in this life and by the everlasting tortures that were the lot of the guilty in a future state (or, where these feelings were not strongly developed, from a vague dread of gloom and misery after death). Epicurus thus made it his mission to remove these fears, and thus to establish tranquility in the minds of his readers.”

-------------------

Epicurus (341–270 B.C.E.). Psychological degradation through cult fear and indoctrination even back then. No wonder it’s so hard to combat.

Date: February 03, 2021 01:34AM

Excellent--thanks FCSLC. Been missing you here...can't get enough of the "enemy of the church," I guess. :)

Posted by: kBOY ()
Date: February 04, 2021 10:09PM

F C S L C

Welcome back.

HEAVEN
only has

our best

interests
in mind

Date: February 08, 2021 05:20AM

FCSLC wrote:
Epicurus (341–270 B.C.E.). Psychological degradation through cult fear and indoctrination even back then. No wonder it’s so hard to combat.

Posted by: changedagain
Date: March 22, 2020 11:30PM

puddington wrote:
I liked the podcast. It’s difficult to include everything in that podcast. There is so much material. One thing missing that I would have liked to have been discussed more is the mental health damage done. And what ex-members are doing about it. I would have liked to have heard a recommendation for people to seek out professional help if needed. I know this helped me greatly with my own deprogramming.

I agree. There have been so many 'minefields' left by virtue of decades of indoctrination via the "living word" and the abhorrent practices of cult leadership. Unfortunately, most ex-members don't have the financial resources to get the professional help they need. And, of course, everything has gotten more precarious with the spread of the coronavirus. I suspect most people will be confined to their home for an indeterminate period of time.
My only recommendation is to monitor any self-guilt, condemnation, regret...and do whatever you can not allow it to take hold. Perpetrators (sociopaths) by nature have a way of transferring guilt upon their victims. For me, I have a consistent, albeit minimal, meditation routine (Waking Up app) along with daily exercise. I also find an outlet in sharing my 'sense of humor,' whether people enjoy it or not :)

[wakingup.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2021 05:22AM by changedagain.

Date: February 08, 2021 05:28AM

And, thanks again to Rick Ross for this site.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.