Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: June 14, 2020 12:04AM

I have no idea if it's the same developer, and the master plan remains the same. Like everything even remotely connected to TLWF leaders, you will never know what the 'plans' are until it is done.

A post from January of this year:
Posted by: JesusJesusJesus
Date: January 25, 2020 11:55AM

Look! A brand new "master plan" for the Shiloh property.

TheNews--Kalona, Iowa
Posted Thursday, January 23, 2020 12:00 am
BY JAMES JENNINGS, NEWS EDITOR

On Monday night, the Kalona City Council got a look at preliminary plans from a developer for the Shiloh church property south of town.

Adam Kos of developer CJ Moyna and Sons presented a map of the property and discussed development plans.

“I wanted to provide something tonight but purposely made it fairly bland,” Kos said. “There’s a lot that has to go into this yet from a design standpoint and a planning and zoning standpoint.”

He explained that development would be done in phases, with phase one consisting of 40-50 residential units.

“We want to set this up in a fashion where if it goes wildly successful, we’re ready for phase two,” Kos said.

With plans to demolish the existing buildings on the property this spring, the developer is looking at the property as a “blank canvas.”

“We want to be thoughtful in our planning moving forward,” Kos said. “We want to get the utility corridors right, get the grading right, make sure the stormwater retention is well thought out. We want to set up the property right for the next 75-100 years.”

He said that one of the unique features of the property is the presence of mature trees.

“You can’t get mature trees for 75 years,” he said. “Any grading and improvements that we do would be set up with what’s already there.

“The land out there is beautiful. The rolling terrain is something that is unique.”

Kos pointed out that the developer plans to purchase the property from Shiloh, and that the project should be rebranded.

“We don’t work for Shiloh. If we’re going to purchase the property, this is going to be the city of Kalona. From the marketing and branding standpoint, there’s some teeth to the ‘Southtown Area of Kalona.’

“It’s obviously got a geographical connection to Kalona. We can brand it as something new and different, but it’s an extension of Kalona.”

He added that, within the Southtown development area, there will be individual developments.

“We’ll have phase one, which will have a name,” he said. “We may have campgrounds. We may have other things like parks that will have specific names.”

Council member Joe Schmidt asked if there were plans for public and recreational areas on the property.

“There’s some intent in deeding some of this property over to the city,” Kos said. “When you’re designing something like this with a landscape that looks like this, there’s obviously a lot of natural beauty that’s out there.”

Two weeks ago, the council voted to move forward with annexing the property, a process which City Administrator Ryan Schlabaugh said would probably extend into March and April of this year.

“The goal tonight is that you direct staff to work with the developer to work through a developer’s agreement,” Schlabaugh told council members. “This would be contractually what we work with going forward. That would be a legal document to help protect us, the developer and the current property owner.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: June 15, 2020 07:33AM

1,800,008 page views to date. I figured a couple years ago interest would dwindle in what is posted in this forum, but that hasn't been the case (thus far). Thanks again to everyone who has come forward to share their stories and insights. It's provided a well-rounded perspective of what has taken place through the years in this organization...I mean, former organization.
Have a pleasant remainder of your weekend. :)

Date: June 17, 2020 12:18AM

Posts from September of 2018 offering suggestions to aid the healing process. I don't know if any of these ideas were implemented. I suspect not.

Posted by: 40yearsin2016
Date: September 25, 2018 02:07PM

Ok I'll play...

but instead of filling in a questionnaire, Here's what I require for my healing.

Amy should, being charged the responsibility since "Gary doesn't want to get involved":

1 - Read this forum - all 689 pages
2 - Read Woodrow Nichols book - all of it.

Based on that research generate a list of questions to be read from the pulpit on Sunday AM. Give the church leadership one week to respond in writing.

Next, Amy should post a notice on the bulletin board in the lobby of each church encouraging current members affected by sexual abuse within the church to call local hotlines (numbers provided) as well as local legal authorities. Independent legal counsel should to be funded by "Hargrave Ministries"

oh, I'm not done.

Finally, in support of my healing, Amy should commission and independent forensic audit of "Hargrave Ministries". Document all assets. Identify historic sources of those assets. Identify any IRS gaps. Document sources of income for "Hargrave Ministries" for as many years as the documents support. Forensic audit should be published publicly, a link supplied on this forum would aide in my healing...

Posted by: Cloudwatcher ()
Date: September 25, 2018 02:50PM

This is a great solution. I agree with it wholeheartedly. It could really bring "a new day" to everyone. Without this--it is all a joke--a farce--biding time until Hargrave can beat feet with his fortune---of course after the properties have been sold with all money going into Hargrave Family Ministries--then transferred to the HFtrust--yada yada and the beat goes on.

I do wonder if Brazil would extradite being that his new bride happens to be a citizen. Hmmmm Food for thought.

Posted by: Cloudwatcher ()
Date: September 25, 2018 10:18PM

And also remember that everyone of the little people in TLWF was innocent and did not deserve what happened to them..robbed of their autonomy and right to be free. And it was only the fault of JRS, though he was beloved and would never have wanted what happened following his death--- the rod of iron of the new rulers, Gary and Marilyn.

And it took a lot of beatings to bring people to this forum using anonymous identities a lot of destruction to the core. Not one of us wants another beating in our life. So excuse some of the harsh rhetoric and call it what it is...unresolved memories of countless lives ruined. I am sure Amy is a very good person. She is innocent too and I am also sure she wants to do no harm. So lets keep the blame where it belongs--squarely on Gary Hargrave. It is in his court to do the right thing. But I for one am not holding my breath.

Date: June 18, 2020 01:23AM

Posted by: seventies walker
Date: August 14, 2017 05:24PM

First time I am posting. I have been reading and following some of the threads with interest off and on for years

My name is David N.
I left Frangipane's fellowship in Michigan in 1979. Shortly after I left Francis was dumped for not supporting John and Marilyn.
I was in LA for multiple feast visits, Anaheim, Sepulveda, SouthGate. Worked for John Bender in Kalona before there was a Shiloh, building a road to the camp.
After leaving the walk in Michigan, I also migrated to SoCal with my family.
Lived like witness protection for 20 years. No friends, no history, no church. Went to a community church in 1999.
Searched out COHK in 2001, reconnected with some former Michigan folks and stayed around until 2006 or 2007, although a daughter and son in law are active still.
Later

Posted by: NancyB ()
Date: April 29, 2019 05:32PM

> If Shiloh (or whoever owns all those acres not
> being given to the City) sets up parcels for homes
> to be built, it would be nice if they would
> consider benefiting people who gave everything to
> Shiloh starting with the Bender family.

The Bender family for one and other families whose ancestors were in that area of Iowa before it was a state lost their inheritances. The few at the top of the pyramid were never willed nor bequeathed sh-t to them. The land and family money was to build a place to worship God and learn holy scripture vs an empire.
Any idea how the state will look at the records of donations with the Benders being at the top of the "to be paid back list"?

Posted by: NancyB ()
Date: May 25, 2019 07:29PM

Burning question: Who exactly is "Shiloh" owned by? Who has the records of the original donors besides Harvey Bender? Annoyingly I state, again, that the vision was for a Christian facility- not for witch crafty occult practices run by a cult leader's 2nd wife and her new husband.

Who is Shiloh really? Should not every donator or relatives be on record? None of us gave Hargraves permission to amass wealth on donations to a non-profit and the sweat of slave labor? We had no membership "contracts" or admission to the "church of Shiloh" like mainstream churches.

Should there not be records of those who contributed to building from the beginning?

Posted by: kbyrne
Date: May 28, 2019 09:32AM

NancyB -- Thank for your perspective as a long-time member of the Washington, IA church. I knew very little about the church when I went to Shiloh in 1975. I'm not sure if it was always the case, but at some point it became an "us and them," dynamic. I regret to say that out of arrogance, I (and I think others as well from Shiloh) believed that we were the more enlightened ones. Without the members from Washington, IA, Shiloh would not have happened or certainly would have never functioned. Mike and Gladys in the kitchen, Hazel in housekeeping, Ken R.in construction, Milton(?) K., ran the truck garden,The Gingriches, Riches, Benders and Nislys, major contributors to the functioning of Shiloh. I believe all of them were native Iowans, with the possible exception of Ken R.

Posted by: Movin'On ()
Date: February 24, 2020 07:15AM

You forgot fun! For a 20-something single man it was great experience. John Bender, Dan Nisly, John Nisly and Simon Nisly were the best. A wealth of knowledge.

Posted by: kBOY
Date: February 24, 2020 08:51AM

"John Bender, Dan Nisly, John Nisly and Simon Nisly were the best."

All SOLID midwestern stock.

And yes, FUN. I personally enjoyed my Shiloh/sawmill experience, and left with all my parts intact, and got married to boot.

Posted by: typer
Date: February 24, 2020 11:46AM

I also enjoyed my interaction with Simon Nisely at the sawmill. Wonderful person. John Bender was very nice also and his wife. I think he could fix anything. The best part of Shiloh was stealing cookies at midnight with Jim Stewart and Jeff Fry. Gladys knew we did it, but her scolding was not very serious and had love intermixed. Yes, there were some wonderful people mixed in. I never saw any leaders help in the kitchen (or ever seen there) and never helped with pots and pans like Mike Dayton, Gladys husband. He worked so very hard, a wonderful man who always seemed to be smiling as he washed very difficult burned pans. My wife loved helping him and being with him in 1975 and 1976. My wife helped was dishes during ministers conferences. I think in 1976 they bought a dishwasher from the university that John Bender worked on and got running. Before that dishes had to be done from sun up to sun down.

Posted by: th231955
Date: March 23, 2020 09:00AM

Thank you! I'm so blown away at what God has shielded me from! I ws young when I hung out at Enos Bender's farm and was deeply dismayed when he told me about his plans to donate it to JRS and the Walk! So much I don't know about this stuff, but witnessed it being played out in front of me as I grew older! JRS was an incredible speaker, and when he started out, he was a Godly man! I wonder how he could have gotten so evil! I loved dad Stevens as did many in the Washington Iowa area! John Bender, Enos's uncle, I think is the real estate being sold, that was'absorbed'by The cult as well! Not sure how long I'll stay in the forum, but I'd really like to reconnect with some of the Early arrivals to Enos's farm! We had a good time, but then again I wasn't a part of the cult practices, so I don't know what the other men were going through! i just know they were there to be isolated from familiar territory to control them! classic cult practice! Also I have talked to Fred bickhart many times over the years, until his passing years ago! Fred knew something was wrong early on, but the organization used their tactics to shame him into submission, just like they did with Johnny Bender and his family! Bickhart, and J bender finally escaped, but they were damaged mentally for a long time!

Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: June 19, 2020 05:03AM

Posted by: seventies walker
Date: August 14, 2017 05:24PM

"Lived like witness protection for 20 years. No friends, no history, no church."

I think a lot of people feel that way after leaving TLWF, seventies walker. :'(

Here's an interesting article on leaving a cult or religion.

[medium.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2020 05:25AM by Reepicheep.

Date: June 19, 2020 11:13AM

Thanks for sharing this article, Reep.

Date: June 19, 2020 11:19AM

A post by 'slandjt,' and one by 'FCSLC':

Posted by: slandjt
Date: September 17, 2015 09:45PM

I've been reading these posts for a couple of years and thought I would weigh in now. I came into the Walk as an impressionable young teenager in the late 60's. My parents actually came to a service and then told me I couldn't go any more. I was told by the church pastor and elders that I should lie to my parents so I could continue attending services, which I did. The regret I feel many years later is still with me, especially since the Walk also required that I break my bonds with my parents and family. I will always wonder what my relationship with my parents would have been like had I listened to them. Christmas was now "Saturnalia" and I hurt my parents over and over again by being absent from their home on December 25. I spent many years immersed in the Walk, attending services several nights per week, giving "until it hurts," waiting on the Lord, spending money I didn't have on my Living Word tape subscription, School of Prophets books, etc. Now all these years later I'm divorced, even though JRS checked out my marriage and declared "It's a marriage made in heaven." I regret the years wasted when I could have been completing college and establishing a career instead of screaming "death to the channel" in the LA churches. When I left the Walk soon after JRS died, it was as though I'd fallen into a black hole as I waited for judgment to fall on my head. I was, after all, no longer under the covering of the Walk and had disobeyed JRS and God. My brother is still in the Walk, obeying every command from Gary and Marilyn and the "authorities" at his church.

All of that said, I moved on from the Walk a long time ago, and although it will always be a part of my life, I now have a much quieter, peaceful life and a much greater understanding of the human condition.

Posted by: FCSLC
Date: September 26, 2013 08:57PM

There was a time in my life when I believed the Walk had a monopoly on flying high in the heavenlies. Leaving the Walk meant leaving everything that was mystical/spiritual.

Being free out in the world is better than being an abused underling in a church that stresses submission, but it’s a little precarious if you don’t have any power or a power base to draw upon. I suppose this is what was referred to as ‘the covering’.

Doing it yourself takes some time, but one thing is for sure, the approval or disapproval of others becomes meaningless. Finding like minded people on the internet is always helpful---(you find out that youire not the only one)---not available to the billions of truth seekers in the ages past. We are blessed.

Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: June 19, 2020 11:38AM

Love these posts by slandjt and FCSLC, changed.

Slandjt wrote:

"...I moved on from the Walk a long time ago, and although it will always be a part of my life, I now have a much quieter, peaceful life and a much greater understanding of the human condition.

FCSLC wrote:

"Doing it yourself takes some time, but one thing is for sure, the approval or disapproval of others becomes meaningless. Finding like minded people on the internet is always helpful---(you find out that you're not the only one)---not available to the billions of truth seekers in the ages past. We are blessed."

A quieter, peaceful life...something we were taught was abhorrent to the Almighty. And yes, I'm grateful for the internet and for this forum, too.

Date: June 20, 2020 12:54AM

I wonder if those attending the Trump rallies would be impressed if they came across video footage of our violent intercession services in the 70's. I think our mania was as least as intense as theirs...not to get competitive about it.
Anyway, have a pleasant day...or at least give it your best shot :)

Date: June 20, 2020 03:28AM

Posts by Larry, Paleface, FCSLC, Reep and Changed (2013-2017):

Posted by: larry bobo
Date: July 28, 2013 12:05PM

Although John denied any involvement with the Latter Rain movement, I know from a family member that many reel to reel tapes were removed from the family home after Martha's death - the assumption by all was that they had once belonged to John. Some of the familiar doctrines belonging to the Latter Rain that later showed up in TLWF teaching are: an end time latter rain, the restoration of the church, restoration of the five fold ministries, pre-rapture spiritual second coming of Christ, new revelation and prophesy, manifestation of the sons of God, overcoming death before Christ's return, dominion now theology and spiritual warfare, mainstream Christianity referred to as old order or Babylon, personal ministry with personal words from God from the leadership, emphasis on the Feast of Tabernacles, the manchild doctrine, Joel's army and militancy, deeper levels of revelation, incarnation of Christ in a many-membered body, spiritual evolution to perfection, divine order, enforced unity, shepherding, and father /son mentoring. To assume all of this teaching came by revelation to John while waiting on the Lord in a chicken coup, instead of it coming from a bit of plagiarizing, is a bit of a stretch for me personally. I have mentioned these doctrines to some still within the fellowship and their response was that it is proof God is speaking the same word to different groups. I would tend to think it is proof some have chosen to stick their heads in the sand.

Posted by: paleface
Date: July 15, 2013 08:01PM

I'd like to repeat what was said before. If you leave the Living Word church and have a great life, they will say "see how easy it is to live when you leave the front line of God's army." And if you leave the church and have rough times, they will say "see what happened to him (or her) when they left the covering of divine order." See, they got you either way. It's a classic mind-control trick.

But Sierra said it well. If you leave, there will be NO LIGHTNING striking you down. In fact, a lot of us that have left have talked and traded stories. The vast majority of opinion is this: Life is great out here. It's a big, wide world and the people in it are for the most part, wonderful and loving. We do not regret leaving for one single second !!!!!!

Posted by: FCSLC
Date: March 23, 2015 12:45AM

All the preaching about submission: Submit, submit, submit. You have no rights. You’re in rebellion to God Almighty if you don’t give your spirit over to the Divine Order which God has restored in the Church of the Living Word. Thousands of hours of preaching, tapes, This Weeks, manuals and the like over and over and over. (Out of respect for Bowman, who I really liked, I like to think that he got out of the Walk on his own accord)

I would like to initiate a redistribution of energy patterns in my own brain according to an entirely new paradigm. A paradigm with a different Jesus. A Jesus who is not dictatorial. It’s the humans who want divine order, God seems to like secret peace in the middle of chaos (at least for the present time). It pisses me off when so called ministers of God are so arrogant that they intrude upon a person’s personal relationship with God, or more to the point, so arrogant that they intrude upon God’s personal relationship with each one of us. Show some respect for God; worry about your own relationship.

I loved many of the people in the Walk, but I think I would have been better off not knowing about the Walk. I know, it’s debatable. Reading the scriptures without “The twisting lies of strict obedience to church authority” always haunting my spirit may be something I will never experience again. The more this cult falls apart, the more garbage that besmirches its character ----- the better. It all helps to erase and diminish what they preach/preached.

It’s better than it used to be. I didn’t pick up a Bible for nearly thirty years after leaving the church, but now I read it occasionally to post on this forum.

Posted by: Reepicheep
Date: December 31, 2017 07:50PM

> There's so much "new thing" in the LW. I remember
> the 1970's were banner years for new things. We
> eagerly awaited each new JRS tape and the next new
> thing God was doing. Funny that all the new things
> JRS said he (the anointed one) received from God
> were the teaching of the entire Latter Rain
> movement. And then there were the Latter Rain
> tape reels found in JRS's home. Awkward!

I often wondered why there always had to be a "new" thing. What's wrong with tradition and the faith of our fathers? There seemed to be some kind of compulsive fascination with the newest thing "God" was doing, and it took the group to some crazy places. Weird diets, herbal supplements, two-stepping, Christmas trucking, violent intercession, and copying the worship of charismatic churches (yes, really!) to name but a few. And it always seemed that moving on required stomping on whatever had come before. Drinking, smoking, cussing a blue streak...all to show that we weren't related to those horrible "religious" people. It makes me tired just thing about it!

Posted by: changedagain
Date: January 08, 2018 08:01AM

puddington Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I recall hearing in LW services, teachings about
> the “unforgivable sin”, i.e. blaspheming the Holy
> Spirit. It was said that to deny that Christ was
> coming forth in his people was equivalent to
> blaspheming the Holy Spirit. The LW teaches that
> the 2nd coming of Christ will happen with Christ
> coming forth in his body first. Then later, the
> actual reappearing of Jesus. This doctrine
> empowers the leaders to claim they have the mind
> of Christ. It was said often (in back room
> meetings) that to have “Marilyn’s thinking” was to
> have the mind of Christ.

There was an immense amount of pressure during my 21 years involvement in the walk/TLWF (1976-1997) to regard the voice coming from leadership (John, Marilyn, Gary) as the voice of God. John himself often said from the pulpit that the word he spoke was the equivalent of scripture, and in fact, was elevated beyond scripture since it was supposedly revealing what God was doing now ('living word'). When the mantle supposedly fell to Gary/Marilyn, the same held true. To question them was to question God...committing the original sin in the garden ('hath God said?"). Heavy stuff. With that type of clout over the fellowship, the door to control people's lives (which is really what 'divine order' became") was unlimited. As people who spent many years in this cult have noted in this forum, over and over again, every aspect of a person's life was subject to surveillance by 'Christ in the flesh' (aka Big Brother in the Flesh). I think the purpose of the 'designated relationship' phase during G & M's reign...was to keep tabs on the thoughts and actions of members of the fellowship, so any resistance could be swiftly dealt with. Apologists who scoff at the idea of coercion, either are ignorant (perhaps because they lived on the periphery), or purposely dishonest...for whatever motivation. The place was, and likely still is, saturated with coercion. It's scary even thinking of breaking away from this cult when you are heavily involved...as evidenced by the stories of the many who have done so in this forum, and the difficulties they experienced. The bonds of oppression are powerful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2020 03:29AM by changedagain.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.