Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: typer ()
Date: January 11, 2020 01:31AM

My wife and I stayed with the Huisman's approx. 1986 when we lived in Montana and would commute 600 miles to visit the Yakima Washington church every few months. We also stayed with Jerry & Donnette Olson a couple of times.

The Huisman's were a very loving couple and lived next door to the church. He was a good photographer. He took a picture of some mountain goats in Glacier National Park, had it framed and gave it to us when we visited. It is hanging in our living room to this day. We lived close to Glacier at the time.

I can't understand the Larson's being so devoid of a conscience.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kBOY ()
Date: January 11, 2020 04:55AM

T Y P E R

We are glad to hear you had an opportunity to spend some quality time with the Huismans. They were quality people through and through, something unfortunately lacking in the leadership of TLW. (The Olsons are also salt-of-the-earth folks.)

Both Ann and Bill were very talented artists and artisans (as well as athletes), so I am not surprised to hear of you being the proud owner of one of Bill's vintage photos.

You have to factor the Larson scenario as the same dynamic that was so corrosive within the fellowship from the start--our way or the highway. No upward flow FROM you--no downward flow TO you.

Posted by: typer ()
Date: January 11, 2020 05:42AM

Thank you Kboy. Your insight is greatly appreciated.

Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: January 11, 2020 05:57AM

Is it just me, or were all the women who were "Marilyn" to their Kingdom Facility/locsl church inherently antisocial, malicious, spiteful, overbearing women? I may have imagined the whole thing. Not sure...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2020 06:04AM by Reepicheep.

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: January 11, 2020 06:49AM

Reepicheep Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is it just me, or were all the women who were
> "Marilyn" to their Kingdom Facility/locsl church
> inherently antisocial, malicious, spiteful,
> overbearing women?

Good question, Reep. I think if they weren't that way when she "chose" them, they soon absorbed those qualities. I often reflect on people I knew in TLWF both before and after they came into G & M's orbit. Invariably, in order to please them, they would need to adopt a much tougher stance toward those "beneath" them in the authority chain. Any innate kindness and approachability seemed to vanish. Which reminds me...I witnessed something like this exchange back in the late 70's:
Sheep: It's a nice day today, isn't it?
Ministry: It was a nice day in Sodom and Gomorrah before God destroyed it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2020 06:52AM by changedagain.

Date: January 11, 2020 06:59AM

BTW, when Marilyn got her Mohawk haircut, I tried not to get within 30 ft. of her.

Date: January 11, 2020 09:41AM

<the cruelty of TLWF top leadership can't be understated, typer.
meant overstated
(big difference)

Date: January 11, 2020 09:45AM

typer wrote,
The Huisman's were a very loving couple and lived next door to the church. He was a good photographer. He took a picture of some mountain goats in Glacier National Park, had it framed and gave it to us when we visited. It is hanging in our living room to this day. We lived close to Glacier at the time.

kBoy wrote:
We are glad to hear you had an opportunity to spend some quality time with the Huismans. They were quality people through and through, something unfortunately lacking in the leadership of TLW. (The Olsons are also salt-of-the-earth folks.)

Both Ann and Bill were very talented artists and artisans (as well as athletes), so I am not surprised to hear of you being the proud owner of one of Bill's vintage photos.

nice

Posted by: Onion ()
Date: January 11, 2020 11:39AM

Changedagain - I heard John say the Sodom "nice day" thing from the Sunday morning pulpit in the Valley.

There was a lovely rose garden next to the driveway at his house on Kling. He said he stood there that morning looking at beautiful roses the size of cabbages and he thought about what a nice day it was. Then he thought, well yeah, it was a nice day in Sodom & Gomorrah before the fire fell."

I have always had that in my head when I comment on a nice day. TERRIBLE. Too bad John didn't have therapy because if he had gotten sober and got some help with his rotten conditioning, maybe we all wouldn't have been tormented with the haunting words of a man who was having morning-after guilts with his hangover and who was conditioned to think negatively about himself.

I had a professor in law school like that. He was such an asshole and would cozy up to the pretty Jewish girls and even give them hints on exams. But to everyone else, he was a mean prick. I used to do an imitation of him in the restroom during breaks -- it was that nerdy guy on Welcome Back Kotter who waved his skinny arms and said Mr. Kottar Mr. Kottar. I was sure this Professor had been a lonely, homely nerd in school and was now making up for it by torturing law students.

JRS was a homely kid and not good looking as an adult. He must have lived in awe that he could attract women at all, especially beautiful women. But his oppressions wreaked havoc on all of us. Just as the areas of his life that were sincere and Godly blessed a lot of us for a while.

Date: January 11, 2020 11:58AM

Onion wrote:
I have always had that in my head when I comment on a nice day. TERRIBLE. Too bad John didn't have therapy because if he had gotten sober and got some help with his rotten conditioning, maybe we all wouldn't have been tormented with the haunting words of a man who was having morning-after guilts with his hangover and who was conditioned to think negatively about himself.

so true

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.