Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: fool me twice ()
Date: September 20, 2019 07:07AM

Today in the Kalona News concerning the property at Shiloh:
[m.kalonanews.com]

Mid-Prairie decides to pass on Shiloh space

By James Jennings 9 hrs ago

The Mid-Prairie school district will not be moving programs to the main building on the Shiloh property.

Superintendent Mark Schneider said Monday that, after looking over renovation cost estimates, the district’s Facilities Committee decided putting money into the building would not be the best use of district money.

“We got numbers from (contractor) Carl A. Nelson last week,” Schneider said. “They said it would cost the district about $1.5 million to renovate and remodel the areas of the building we were looking at for preschool and other uses.”

He said that the facilities committee reviewed the estimates at a meeting last week.

“It was a short discussion,” Schneider said. “It was agreed that $1.5 million was too much money to spend on a building we wouldn’t even own. It would not be the best use of the district’s money or the taxpayers’ money.”

Kalona City Administrator Ryan Schlabaugh updated the city council Monday of the school district’s decision.

“It takes them out of the mix,” Schlabaugh said. “It’s going to be a tough sell for me to make any proposal to the council without the school district. On the building, I don’t’ have a good plan right now.”

To read more, please subscribe or pick up a paper.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: September 21, 2019 02:54AM

This whole deal is still a little bit fuzzy. Was Kalona School District thinking of renting space in the Shiloh main building AND they would have to remodel at their own expense? I don't blame them for passing on that.

Posted by: Onion ()
Date: September 21, 2019 03:30AM

Phyllis and Craig Haworth's home is listed for sale by Kalona Realty. 186 Main Street, Kalona. I wonder how the value will be affected by being located by an abandoned monolith.

The City pulling out of the annexation plan (if that happens) would give Shiloh the opportunity to fund the remodel to turn the building into senior housing. They could probably get government grants to help pay for that and actually fulfill a promise to the people who gave so much of their lives to see promises fulfilled.

Posted by: kBOY ()
Date: September 21, 2019 08:45AM

O N I O N

GREAT idea! That would at least provide a salve to help heal some of the wounded. Somebody should get right on that to make sure it is ready for us who just might land there one day.

Then it would at least be the center of OUR universe.

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: September 24, 2019 10:29PM

“It was a short discussion,” Schneider said. “It was agreed that $1.5 million was too much money to spend on a building we wouldn’t even own. It would not be the best use of the district’s money or the taxpayers’ money.”

Perfect summation. Some things are so clear, you really don't need to seek "God" for an appropriate course of action. "Hey, we'll be putting all this money into the building, and we don't even own it. It's an irresponsible use of taxpayer's money. Moving on!"

Date: September 25, 2019 02:17AM

#MovingOnFromOppression

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2019 02:18AM by changedagain.

Date: September 25, 2019 02:36AM

And no, I did not intend its acronym to be MOFO.

Posted by: kBOY ()
Date: September 25, 2019 03:18AM

C H A N G E D

Not one of the 1000 prophets ever saw the Center of the Universe turning into a white elephant.

Kingdom in '79, anyone?

Date: September 25, 2019 04:17AM

Yes--I think you are correct, kBOY.

Date: September 25, 2019 11:05PM

Onion Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Phyllis and Craig Haworth's home is listed for
> sale by Kalona Realty. 186 Main Street, Kalona.
> I wonder how the value will be affected by being
> located by an abandoned monolith.

Based on this less than flattering description by 'That Little Red Flag,' I don't think Rick's handiwork will up the value of the home:

TLRF from December of 2018:
"It has to be one of the ugliest cemeteries I have ever seen. It looks like an abandoned construction site from a lost city."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.