Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: TheJewel ()
Date: February 26, 2016 12:26AM

LampShmamp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gary should use that gift of tongues he loves so
> much for preaching in Portuguese.

Haaa... really good point. Another indication that perhaps a good deal of this Pentecostal stuff is pure bunk. If God did that 2k years ago, why can't he do it now? Why doesn't he do it now? One of the things I always found interesting about speaking in tongues in the churches is that I have never seen (or even heard of) a case where someone came into a church knowing some obscure language and had someone who had never spoken the language, had probably never heard the language spoken, minister to him or her through the gift of tongues. You would think this would be one of the primary uses for the gift.

Hmmm..... I wonder what king of accent, the hearer would hear? Would we discover that God speaks with a British accent? Or perhaps it would be that southern, red neck accent that all the televangelists seem to have.

Jewel

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: LampShmamp ()
Date: February 26, 2016 11:40PM

The Jewel, of course I agree 200%. Everybody used to pray the same "language" every time they worshipped in tongues. At the time I was familiar with the style of tongues of people I knew. If called upon, which I never have been, I could still do a pretty good parody of them. I never observed tongues in any practical useful function, like communicating with someone who did not speak English. One might think that being the sons of God and all, we might have elevated the gift of tongues to a higher level than every Assembly of God church that ever existed. But we did not, and they still do not. The language of angels, indeed. It was all pretend.

Posted by: paleface ()
Date: February 26, 2016 11:44PM

I prefer this kind of singing in tongues...

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Cloudwatcher ()
Date: February 27, 2016 12:14AM

Apostle Dog Wrote:

I intend to answer my own question. You remember I asked why Living Word Fellowship is not using modern media such as the internet to "get the word out" is because Living Word Fellowship from the beginning had no intention of "getting the word out." It has always been an exclusive club of spiritually arrogant people that liked to sit in their little closed society and point tell each other how much on a "higher level" they are than the rest of the world, and that the rest of Christianity simply "didn't want this word," because it was way too deep for them to comprehend.
-----------------------------------------------

The answer to your question is plain economics. Why give it away for free when you have such a perfect marketing scheme- You need to get the "current word", or you will miss something or perhaps lose out, the answer to all your problems is in the "current word" even if you have a terminal illness or need help for any range of problems--the "current word" is the answer. They have such a clever marketing scheme--and when you consider the formula:
Price of CD times the average monthly LW Bill times number of subscribers to the standing order---

They have built a very costly infrastructure for "preserving" the word --all messages are digitized and could easily be offered for free--or all could be offered as mp3's for pennies on the dollar.

It is tens of thousands in operating costs to run the complex system from recording the word using the finest sound technology, logging the word using booth secretaries, sound file editing to make it the top of the line product, employees to pay, and last but not least--- volunteers to ship out to the faithful---and it is easy money.

And I beg to differ with the characterization of the people in the LW---they are brainwashed like everyone else who has come and gone and a lot of people suffer when their loved ones are still involved. It is devastating.

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: February 27, 2016 12:22AM

paleface Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I prefer this kind of singing in tongues...
>
> [youtu.be]

Strange...I understood every word. And I don't even consider myself spiritual!

Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: February 27, 2016 01:47AM

Anyway, on a more serious note, I agree with every poster on this forum who feels that if Gary is going to be an effective ministry in Brazil, he should at least learn Portuguese, and not be in need of an interpreter. He's obviously spent quite a bit of time there, and Brazil seems to the focal point of his ministry now. I recall back in the early 90's when he was using Silas to translate his messages during L.A. services to the flocks in Brazil. I thought at the time that he would eventually learn the language...and not need this crutch.
BTW, I only speak English (barely). But I've never pretended to be an answer for other cultures/nations etc.

p.s. in high school, I worked a summer in the Coachella Valley vineyards with the migrant workers. A high school friend of mine, a Mormon, now a radiologist in Salt Lake city, worked alongside me. He spoke fluent Spanish at the time, and communicated freely with the workers. He was my interpreter. After high school, he went to Brazil to serve his two-year mission. He learned Portuguese prior to going, and said it was no problem. Of course, he was kind of a linguistic genius.

Posted by: Apostle Dog ()
Date: February 27, 2016 02:40AM

If any of you want to do a very quick Youtube search you will see lots of churches, LOTS that are not in if just for the money that are putting hundreds of videos out so people can freely hear what they believe to be the Word of God. If the leaders and people of the Living Word fellowship believe they have the Word of God, then they are going to have to answer for making it a "PRODUCT" to be sold.

One thing however is true, and I didn't tell them this because they would find that they could actually make more money by putting it out there for people to listen to it, and the reason i didn't say this earlier is because there is enough poison on the internet without Living word putting their koolaid out there for innocent people to drink.

The leadership has always known that their stuff would be shot down pretty quickly if put out in the open for people to see that were not already brainwashed.

Consider Bethel Redding and Bill Johnson, there are hundreds of videos out there for free. Now they might have gotten some people to visit and join the church, but I personally think they don't need that many more members in the first place, they are just doing it because they believe they have something from God and they want to share it instead of hoard it and spoon feed it to a captive audience.

Posted by: paleface ()
Date: February 27, 2016 03:09AM

Welcome Cloudwatcher. I agree with what you said. I suspect blank CDs cost less than blank cassettes and duplication is much faster. The profit margin must have improved.

Plus you can hang the CDs in the garden to scare away the birds.

Date: February 27, 2016 05:21AM

Hello Paleface, thanks for the welcome. LOL I was wondering what I could use those shiny cd's for. And being that the "current" word becomes obsolete -only to reappear as a regurgitated variation on the theme in a shiny new package in that circular conversation, I think it is safe to say that scaring the birds would be appropriate end of that life; or shall I say "no life" cycle.

I still think it would be cheaper and safer to buy them blank. If only I had known. Stuck on stupid for far too long.

Date: February 27, 2016 06:16AM

Thank you for your kind welcome. Lol--I was trying to think of ideas so the actual cd-the plastic did not go to waste. Being the "current word" becomes obsolete with the next iteration or regurgitation and repackaging of the LW circular conversation in yet another twist or variation on the theme.

Yes, a fitting end to that life or shall I say "lifeless" cycle.

No one will ever have to worry about them putting out the word for free to anyone. Should their ideas see the light of day, I suspect the jig would be up.

Now that isn't a bad idea at all. I like it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.