Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Refund from Landmark?
Posted by: BB ()
Date: November 16, 2006 02:30AM

Hi,

2 nights ago, I signed up and paid Landmark $450 to attend their forum this coming weekend. Someone I know took me there and told me this would help me. The speaker was very convincing and I still can't believe I signed up without any thought about it. I'm not a wealthy woman.

The following day (yesterday) I thought it strange that they don't even provide water. I did a search online which is how I found this site. I also had read that they are supposed to ask if you have a history of mental illness, which I do have.

I never got a copy of the contract I signed. I am very vulnerable right now due to life circumstance. I feel I have been coping quite well considering. In any event, after reading mostly negative feedback about Landmark, I don't want to attend even if it means losing my money.

I remember when I signed up, the papers stated there is no refund. So, is it too late for me to get refunded? Or is there any law that overrides their no-refund policy?

Please advise.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Refund from Landmark?
Posted by: Hope ()
Date: November 16, 2006 07:00AM

I received a full refund AFTER doing the entire Forum.

Call them and tell you want a refund. Period. They will persist in trying to convince you that you need to take the Forum no matter what reason you give them (illness, death in family, out of town, mental illness). When they do this, threaten to call the Attorney General's office, Office of consumer affairs, or similar entity, where you live as you did not receive a copy of the contract. You could even call that office in advance of calling Landmark, tell them you saw the video AFTER you had signed up and ask them for advice on getting your refund. I drove Landmark nuts asking for my refund and I finally got it.

Refund from Landmark?
Posted by: BB ()
Date: November 16, 2006 07:58AM

Hi Hope,

Thanks for your prompt reply and advice!

The person I had to speak to just came in. So, I just
got off the phone with her. I told her that my doctor
told me this wouldn't be good for me. I told her firmly
to refund my money. She tried to ask me questions,
but I just kept repeating that my doctor said this would
be damaging for me. So, she said she hadn't charged
me yet, and that they will cancel and not charge me.

Thanks again!

Refund from Landmark?
Posted by: Excalibur ()
Date: November 16, 2006 08:06AM

I don't want to attend even if it means losing my money.

You are doing the right thing by not attending. That is the best advice anyone can give you. Landmark is bad news, from beginning to end. Contrary to what your friend says, it will NOT help you, unless you want help in becoming a brainwashed robot and programmed recruiter for Landmark. The best thing you can do is review this website, visit world-wide cult information websites (use Google to search) and do research on Landmark's history. The Rick Ross website has the information you need to be informed on this group. Save yourself, man!!

I also had read that they are supposed to ask if you have a history of mental illness, which I do have. I never got a copy of the contract I signed.

Didn't you find it strange that you didn't get a copy of the contract? All reputable companies provide their clients with a copy of contracts they signed. Right there alarm bells should have gone off. Landmark has reasons why they don't provide you with a copy of the contract. Take a look at its contents:

“I willingly and knowingly assume for myself, and my heirs, family members, executors, administrators, and assigns, all risk of physical injury and mental and emotional upset which may occur during or after the Program, and I hereby agree to hold Landmark Education Corporation, its officers, directors, employees, agents, and/or volunteers, harmless from any and all liability arising out of my participation in the Program.”

And how about this gem:

"BY SIGNING THIS I AM AGREEING TO HAVE ANY ISSUE OR CLAIM ARISING OUT OF MY PARTICIPATION IN THE LANDMARK FORUM DECIDED BY NEUTRAL ARBITRATION AND I AM FREELY GIVING UP MY RIGHT TO A JURY OR COURT TRIAL."

Landmark doesn't give you a copy of the contract because they don't want you taking it to a lawyer. No lawyer worth his salt would advise you to sign a contract with such waivers. It's also odd how these Landmark people sure go out of their way to cover their butts. This waiver speaks of "physical injury" and "mental and emotional upset". Now why do you suppose Landmark feels the need to protect themselves against such situations? Well, Landmark must have its reasons; otherwise it wouldn't be in the contract. Ergo, second alarm bell!! lol Perhaps the reason Landmark protects itself in this fashion can be answered in a post I found on another website:

"My son has gone through the [Landmark] program, and is now sitting in a hopital [sic] under psychiatric care. Where are they when their program goes bad? They don't want anything to do with him! Afraid of the lawsuit maybe. this is not an isolated incident - it happens often -”

Landmark has another reason for acting in such an unprofessional way by not giving you a copy. Here is another portion of the contract you signed:

The Agreements below and on the back page are intended to have legal significance. If you have any questions about their meaning, please feel free to consult an attorney."

What hypocrites. How can you consult a lawyer when you don't even get a copy of your contract? And even if you did, if you've succumbed to Landmark's pressure - they insist, or rather [i:0150ff0a22]demand[/i:0150ff0a22], that you sign the contract the night you attend the information session - what's the use of getting a legal opinion if you already signed the contract? It's catch-22, isn't it? Very clever on Landmark's part - also very insidious. But then Landmark is the master of manipulation.

Oh, those Landmark people know what they're doing.

I also had read that they are supposed to ask if you have a history of mental illness, which I do have.

You are indeed correct. Here is the portion of the contract that deals with mental illness:

1. Have you ever been hospitalized for psychiatric care or a mental disorder, or has such
hospitalization ever been recommended to you by a physician, psychiatrist, or mental
health professional?
If yes, what was the MOST RECENT YEAR that you were hospitalized for psychiatric
care or a mental disorder or that such hospitalization was recommended to you by a
physician, psychiatrist, or mental health professional?
2. Are you currently in therapy?
(If you are currently in therapy, you must advise your therapist that you are going to be in the Program
and you must get your therapist’s assurance that he/she sees no health reason why it would be inadvisable
for you to take part in the Program. It is our intention here simply to serve your best interests by not
adding any input your therapist does not know about.)
(a) Have you advised your therapist that you are registered in the Program?
(b) I asked my therapist if he/she sees any health reason that would make it inadvisable for
me to participate in the Program. Mytherapist’ s answer was:
(c) I have not yet advised my therapist about being in the Program, and I will by:
(Please call the Landmark Forum Registration Fulfillment Manager at Landmark Education
as soon as you have your therapist’s answer.)
3. Have you ever been in psychiatric or psychological therapy and then discontinued that
therapy against the advice of your therapist before it was complete?
If yes, what was the MOST RECENT YEAR that you were in psychiatric or psychological
therapy and then discontinued that therapy against the advice of your therapist
before it was complete?
4. Within the past six months, have you taken (or has a health professional advised you to
take) any prescription medications or drugs which: a) affect your mental processes or mood;
or b) treat a “chemical imbalance”?
5. If you answered “yes” to questions 1 , 2b, 3, or 4, we recommend that you NOT participate
in the Program at this time

Did you answer "yes" to questions 1, 2b, 3 or 4? If so, it seems here we have a case where Landmark by its own contract recommended you not participate but they took your money anyway. I'm no lawyer but that sure seems like a lawsuit to me.

In your case, I'd write Landmark explaining you have mental illness, you answered "no" to the pertinent questions on the contract and demand your money back. Be persistant though, Landmark likes their money, as we all do, but I don't think you'll get a refund without a fight. Even if you don't get your refund, my strong advice to you is to stay away. Think of it as a lesson learned for the future. Check things out before you sign on the dotted line. Don't give in to pressure or high sales tactics. You have legs, walk out. That's what I did.

As an afterthought, this person who recommended Landmark to you, is he/she a friend? If so, I wonder what kind of friend you really have to recommend you get mixed up with this Landmark garbage. If you suffer from mental illness you need to be under the care of a qualified therapist, not these Landmark loonies. Landmark leaders are not required to hold post-secondary degrees in psychology or psychiatry; they're real estate agents, bookkeepers and like their founder Werner Erhard, used car salesmen! Get the help you need and stay away from Landmark.

Refund from Landmark?
Date: November 16, 2006 08:34AM

:D :D :D :D :D :D YAHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Good for you. Good for you for sticking to your guns and not getting sucked into their questions.

Refund from Landmark?
Posted by: ezdoesit ()
Date: November 16, 2006 08:36AM

BB
Hi Hope,

Thanks for your prompt reply and advice!

The person I had to speak to just came in. So, I just
got off the phone with her. I told her that my doctor
told me this wouldn't be good for me. I told her firmly
to refund my money. She tried to ask me questions,
but I just kept repeating that my doctor said this would
be damaging for me. So, she said she hadn't charged
me yet, and that they will cancel and not charge me.

Thanks again!

I'd check with my credit card company and make sure. Remember, they want to make it as difficult for you as they can get away with. They know people who have "paid" upfront are more likely to follow through and get suckered in. That's right out of Cialdini's book, "Influence." They are slimey. Watch out.

EZ

Refund from Landmark?
Date: November 16, 2006 08:40AM

Excellent idea.

Refund from Landmark?
Posted by: ajinajan ()
Date: November 16, 2006 08:49AM

I'd check with my credit card company and make sure. Remember, they want to make it as difficult for you as they can get away with. They know people who have "paid" upfront are more likely to follow through and get suckered in. That's right out of Cialdini's book, "Influence." They are slimey. Watch out.

Great idea!

And, Congratulations on NOT doing the Landmark Forum!

This is your first true step towards transforming your life and our planet, taking a stand for what YOU want to do, on your OWN, what you CHOOSE to do.

For more info, check out this video:
[www.culteducation.com]

Refund from Landmark?
Date: November 16, 2006 08:52AM

BB,

I just wanted to point out something I remembered from my introductory night, which is probably what your friend took you to. It was nothing like the Forum. First, it was short, very upbeat and there was a relaxed atmosphere. I recall discussing it with my husband who said it was like Oprah-lite. Between their well-oiled manipulations and the fact that this introductory night is set up to be fun, it is very easy to get sucked in. They seem so nice, and they're going to mail you that contract and it all seems legit. Isn't it funny how you noticed a little thing like no water. If you had taken the Forum, they would have used that against you - always thinking, not listening because it's all about you. I'm really happy you got your $ back.

Refund from Landmark?
Posted by: patrick-darcy ()
Date: November 16, 2006 09:11AM

BB. of i u have something that is bothering u
maybe u could talk to us about it.

we are all hear to listen.

its part of our "already listening:

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.