Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Destructive Church or Cult?
Posted by: Greenaroo ()
Date: September 25, 2007 05:44AM

This is kind of a long story. So I'll condense it as much as possible.

My nephew's college friend introduced him to a campus ministry at Tennessee State University during the late 1990's. After 2 years at T.S.U. my nephew enlisted in the Army and planned to continue his education when his tour of duty ended. Instead of doing this, he moved to Arizona where his former college friend is now an associate minister of the Desert Life Church. My nephew worked as a registered nurse in the Phoenix area. He seemed quite happy and was very devoted to the church doctine and activities and taught Sunday school there. A month ago he turned up missing -- apartment cleaned out, car gone, never showed up for work again and has had no activity in his bank account since. What is most disturbing is an entry to his My Space blog entitled "Cut Adrift" was sounds almost suicial.

The police managed to talk to my nephew's college friend/church pastor a week ago. He claimed not to have had any contact with my nephew for several weeks and didn't seem concerned about his disappearance. Our family thought this was most curious since they were such close friends and both deeply involved with this church. I couldn't help but wonder if my nephew's disappearance is somehow connected with this church.

I did some digging and discovered the campus ministry my nephew joined at T.S.U. was pioneered by Troy Johnson. Troy Johnson also happens to be the founder and current senior pastor of the Desert Life Church (formerly known as Morning Star Life Church) -- my nephew's church.

I also discovered the following about Troy Johnson:

1. He completed his ministry apprenticeship with Rice Broocks, founder and president of Every Nation Churches & Ministries (formerly known as Morning Star International)

2. He completed and earned certifications of Christian Service & Christian Ministry with Every Nation Leadership Institute (formerly known as Victory Leadership Institute)

3. He worked for the organization, Champions for Christ, as a minister to professional athletes.

4. He claims to be the founder of the Every Nation church in Denver, CO

5. He established the senior leadership team for the Every Nation church in Coronado, CA

I noticed on their web site, the Desert Life Church also has a Desert Life Bible Institute which uses the curriculum of the Every Nation Leadership Institute.

Have there been any other cases of people who are deeply involved with questionable religious organizations simply vanishing?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: eggplant ()
Date: September 25, 2007 11:59PM

What a horrible situation.

There have been some discussions here about Morningstar etc that may be of interest to you, although I don't know if they'll answer your questions...

[board.culteducation.com]

[board.culteducation.com]

I hope you get some good news about your nephew soon.

Posted by: Greenaroo ()
Date: September 26, 2007 04:35AM

Thanks for your good thoughts, Eggplant. I'll try posting this in "Former Cult Members and Affected Families" to see if anyone can enlighten me.

Re: Destructive Church or Cult?
Posted by: ulyankee ()
Date: October 24, 2007 07:54AM

Hi Greenaroo, you might also want to check out the forums over on FACTNet--it's a fairly active discussion and there are several former EN members over there. Some also from the group EN is descended from, Maranatha Campus Ministries, which disbanded in 1990 but many of whose leaders formed the core of what would become Every Nation (previously Morning Star International). The shortcut to the EN related FACTNet discussion threads is [www.everynationinfo.com].

This is very interesting what you say about Desert Life church as well as the Coronado church, because supposedly they left the network within the last year, in the wake of several leadership and financial scandals. Neither one is listed in EN's directory anymore. Though I have also heard reports that some churches, ministries, and ministers who were supposedly "out" of EN are still unofficially cooperating with the network. For example, EN's top prophetic minister, Jim Laffoon, still visits my former church, even though it has officially been out of the network for over a year.

Champions for Christ is a former Maranatha ministry that is currently a subministry of EN. CFC and EN are and should be considered one and the same. Check out the CFC related articles on Rick Ross's site, as well as the ones related to Maranatha (MCM). The CFC ones are more current and include its EN-related history.

As you probably know, Nashville is where their US headquarters is located, and the Nashville area Every Nation Campus Ministries, active on almost all the area's campuses and previously known as Victory Campus Ministries, are led by Bethel World Outreach Center in Brentwood. One of Maranatha's former lead staff evangelists, Rice Broocks, is the "senior minister" of that church. He and several other former MCM compatriots progressively took over that church in the 90s, and the founding pastor (not former MCM) was removed from their board in 2003. I was attending that church in 2001 when they introduced another former MCM pastor to the congregation, Bert Thomson, who led the MCM chapter at University of British Columbia back in the day. He was introduced as someone who Broocks knew from working together in "a campus ministry" but Maranatha was never mentioned.

Anyhow, I've not been as active on the forums or in EN related research as of late, since I've gone back to grad school this semester and there's only so much one person can do and still maintain their sanity :-). But certainly if you have any questions go check out the forums or feel free to email me offlist at ulyankee@yahoo.com.

Posted by: racecardriver ()
Date: November 14, 2007 05:33AM

I live in the midwest but have a friend that attends DLC in Scottsdale. There was a church split between Pastor Troy Johnson and his senior assoc. pastor last year. I hear it was very bad and there has been no reconciliation. From what I hear, Pastor Troy displays all the characteristics of an insecure leader, which may have led to the church split. Who knows????

Posted by: racecardriver ()
Date: December 06, 2007 02:38AM

Actually, here is a copy of an email that was forwarded to me regarding the church split that took place last year. It really shows the level of insecurity that pastor troy displays to his congregation. Basically, you cannot disagree or question authority in the church since that would be rebellious.

Dear Beloved,
There has been a lot of confusion regarding a prophetic word from Harry Gomes. I think it is necessary for me to help bring clarity. I've enclosed a copy of Pastor Harry's word regarding the Chandler situation. First let me give you some biblical perspective on how to judge a matter and how to biblically derive at truth. There have been many people suggesting that they've heard from God. Let me encourage you by suggesting that we must follow what the Bible tells us to do because we must remember that the Spirit speaks through the Spirit inspired Word (1 Peter 1:20-21). Here's what God's word says is the proper approach in dealing with this current situation.

1. Proverbs 18:17 says that it is important to not judge a matter until you have heard both parties in a dispute. It says the first to present his case seems just until his neighbor comes and questions him.

2. Matthew 18:15-17 says that if you have an offense towards someone, you must go to them (directly) and discuss it. (Deuteronomy 19:15)

3. Hebrews 13:17 says to obey your leaders and submit to their authority as those who must give an account for you.

4. 1 Timothy 5:19 says not to entertain an accusation against an elder (pastor) unless it is brought by 2 or 3 witnesses - witnesses are those present in a matter not merely receivers of offense or information.

Please remember that we are the Lord's people that make up the Lord's church. Be careful not to destroy His church by judging His people falsely. Remember the warning from Apostle Paul:

"Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you? If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him; for God's temple is sacred, and you are that temple." (1 Corinthians 3:16-17)

May God help us in our pursuit of truth, holiness and righteousness.

In humble fear of the Lord,
Pastor Troy Johnson

If you need more information regarding this matter feel free to set up an appointment with me or one of the Pastoral staff members or board members.[/i]

Posted by: urbanevangie ()
Date: June 18, 2009 09:04AM

Greenaroo
The police managed to talk to my nephew's college friend/church pastor a week ago. He claimed not to have had any contact with my nephew for several weeks and didn't seem concerned about his disappearance. Our family thought this was most curious since they were such close friends and both deeply involved with this church. I couldn't help but wonder if my nephew's disappearance is somehow connected with this church.

Hi greenaro, it truly sucks having a family member missing and not knowing who or what to blame. for what its worth i wanted to respond to this post because i knew your nephew Lee Branson for almost 2 1/2 years before he disappeared and i was an eye witness to all the events leading up to his disappearance. I dont want you to take this in the wrong way but i only say these things to clear up the misunderstanding that PTJ & DLC as the ones to blame for this. The truth is DLC tried to help and lees disappearance is unfortunately a result of his own sin.

First off Lee was a very socially awkward person and so he had a way about him that was kinda funky but its all good because the way i see it is everyone deserves and friend and everyone in christ is part of Gods family. So i would reach out to lee and invite him to parties; bar b ques, life groups, ect. DLC even tried to help lee when he was homeless by giving him a place to stay but he later was caught with drugs and refused to repent and get right so he was asked to leave. He moved into an apartment where he would drink allot, keep his house a mess, and disconnect from society. Im not even exaggerating but he had a weird way around kids and once got angry and verbally exploded on a 12 year old in which i confronted him and asked him never to do that again. I was a friend with him through all this and even let him stay with me when he was in a tuff time and wanted to help him but there was certain parts in his life he would hide and keep in the dark. As a result he disappeared most likely haunted with shame. Im not saying this to bash you blood but just know your nephew disappeared because of his own sin and not the sin of another. We all know the darkness hates the light for fear its deeds would be exposed. When he disappeared many people including myself & Staff at DLC tried calling him but his phone was out of service. I even tried visiting his house only to find he had moved out without a trace. We all do stupid things in life so the goal is not to judge lee i do miss him and desire to see him again but all this accusation about DLC is simply a misunderstanding.

regards, j

Posted by: ezbuild ()
Date: July 21, 2009 06:28AM

i think this is kind of fishy that a church would respond so adamantly to an thread that is two years old and never makes an accusation. hmmm...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2009 06:55AM by ezbuild.

Posted by: urbanevangie ()
Date: September 28, 2009 03:01PM

I don't represent DLC, i just stumbled upon this post and as one of Lee's close friends i felt the need to exercise my 1st amendment right.

If thats fishy go ahead and call me Nemo

cheers - j

Posted by: Sparky ()
Date: September 29, 2009 01:51AM

Dear "Nemo" (aka "urbanevangie"),

If one of my relatives went missing and I put out a plea for help on this site I don't think I would slap the seeking relative with such comforting phrases as "As a result he disappeared most likely haunted with shame. Im not saying this to bash you blood but just know your nephew disappeared because of his own sin and not the sin of another."

In other words, were I the seeking relative I would have to say thanks but no thanks for your "help". How can you make such claims unless you know first hand how he disappeared and why and what he was feeling/thinking?

You also assume something that is not correct: "...as one of Lee's close friends i felt the need to exercise my 1st amendment right."

You have no such first amendment rights on this site or any other unless perhaps it is government run. We are all subject to the watchful eye of rrmoderator.

I would also ask about your church's finances. Are they transparent? Do you know where all the money goes? Can anyone disagree openly with your pastor(s) and still be a welcome member? Does the church hold elections? Does the membership have the ability to "fire" your pastor?

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.