Current Page: 12 of 13
Re: Byron Katie and "The Work" Participant Reports
Posted by: brucebanner ()
Date: June 30, 2010 08:28AM

To me it sounds like Byron Katie is using elements of psychological torture at these forums for "The Work".

Read over the definition and see for yourself:

"Many forms of psychological torture methods attempt to destroy the subject's normal self-image by removing them from any kind of control over their environment, creating a state of learned helplessness, psychological regression and depersonalization. Other techniques include enforced nudity and head shaving, sleep deprivation, hooding and other forms of sensory deprivation and forcing the subject to adopt stress positions."

That first sentence is a dead giveaway.

(www.wikipedia.org)

I think the evil and cynical idea is that breaking people down like this makes them easy to control or influence. And therefore more money goes to the
"guru".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2010 08:43AM by brucebanner.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: brucebanner ()
Date: June 30, 2010 08:44AM

The homelessness play seems designed to create learned helplessness, as does being forced to be silent, the whole thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2010 09:03AM by brucebanner.

Posted by: Splash90 ()
Date: July 01, 2010 04:05AM

HM2X, I only put a candle on top of YOUR excellent cake! :)

Posted by: helpme2times ()
Date: July 01, 2010 04:37AM

Splash90
HM2X, I only put a candle on top of YOUR excellent cake! :)
Thanks. :-)

The Anticult and Corboy deserve a HUGE amount of credit. They have posted a tremendous amount of information re Byron Katie and so many others.

Above all, thanks to Rick Ross for providing this gargantuan forum in which all this info has been housed for so long.

Date: July 01, 2010 05:11AM

Very very true.

We all rock. LOL

Posted by: helpme2times ()
Date: July 01, 2010 05:25AM

Splash90
Very very true.

We all rock. LOL
Yeah, baby. :-D

Date: July 01, 2010 05:34AM

When the modern concept of mind control/thought reform was developed by Robert J. Lifton, it was based on his research into the methods used to brainwash Chinese prisoners of war. They are virtually the same as what modern cult groups (religious, political, etc) use. It's eery and yes very evil.

brucebanner
To me it sounds like Byron Katie is using elements of psychological torture at these forums for "The Work".

Read over the definition and see for yourself:

"Many forms of psychological torture methods attempt to destroy the subject's normal self-image by removing them from any kind of control over their environment, creating a state of learned helplessness, psychological regression and depersonalization. Other techniques include enforced nudity and head shaving, sleep deprivation, hooding and other forms of sensory deprivation and forcing the subject to adopt stress positions."

That first sentence is a dead giveaway.

(www.wikipedia.org)

I think the evil and cynical idea is that breaking people down like this makes them easy to control or influence. And therefore more money goes to the
"guru".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2010 05:38AM by Splash90.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: July 01, 2010 09:11PM

Speaking of birthday cakes, this forum, known as the message board for the Ross Institute website had its eighth birthday on June 19th.

Thank you to Rick Ross, and to tech support, and to the splendid attorneys and their firms and teams who donated pro bono legal representation when this was needed.

And the Fourth of July is coming up.

Without the American Revolution, a work that is still in progress, none of this would have been possible.

And remember the humanists and the enlightenment.

As for the message board, we owe something to the French who created the salons--unique social environments in which persons from different social classes and backgrounds, men and women, united by curiosity and shared good manners, assembled and discussed ideas and books--and without it turning into a life or death duel.

This ability to create a social environment in which ideas could be discussed, evidence presented, and where gender and class were no obstacle, so long as one had good manners and a useful contribution to offer--those were the forerunners of message boards such as this one.

So, put eight candles on the RR.com message board birthday cake.

Date: July 01, 2010 09:47PM

Hear hear!! Happy birthday and a HUGE thanks to the forum and the USA! And a toast of gratitude to the French and the RRI!

July 4 is my favorite holiday... I love the patriotism and it's my birthday too :) I'm a Yankee Doodle Gal!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2010 09:48PM by Splash90.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: July 02, 2010 12:33AM

An idea for a great dessert:

Take your favorite cheesecake recipe and either serve it with blueberries or raspberries/strawberries on the side, or embed them in the cake.

Reread the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution.

Remember that people died and went to jail and went broke hiring attorneys to preserve and extend the American Experiment.

Whether you consider yourself a pacifist or not, remember our brothers and sisters in the armed forces, on land and sea and air, here and far from home.

And give thanks to the many immigrants, citizens, journalists, labor organizers, precinct monitors, attorneys, judges and juries who risked their lives and worked late nights.

Current Page: 12 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.