Re: Krishna group in Hawaii
Posted by: Dassi ()
Date: March 01, 2008 05:50AM

terrenaut
It was just pointed out to me that the result of Cultactions' activities has been to increase Science of Identity web presence ten-fold, if not more.

Yeah, but it is mindless repetition of the same old quotes and garbage.
Rick Ross still remains the #1 internet source on cults in general, with 246 pages on Chris Butler!

If Cultreporter's site does not return, other's will take its place.
Lots of people have their eye on this cult besides ex followers.

terrenaut
I think that people will leave SoI and tell others, and the behaviour of the people within SoI will have a self-limiting effect. This forum has been a great way for stories and experiences to see the light of day, and I hope it continues.

I agree.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: March 01, 2008 06:08AM

terrenaut
I have stayed there on a couple of occasions and found Linda Harvey to be very kind and welcoming. I am not sure what you mean by "as a front". If someone from the Wwoof-ers is working there in the gardens, for example, they are welcome to take in as much of the program as they desire, or none of it..whatever they wish. The programs are there, no-one is told what to do. There are regular yoga classes, and there are regular classes on bhakti yoga. If a person wishes to learn about these things, they are available. It is not as if there is any chance of hiding the fact of "Hare Krishna', since that is the main chant going, and any lecture tapes or videos being played are unmistakably Jagad Guru.

The gardens take a lot of work, but they are not huge. the work experience at Sacramento is real enough. I guess she became one of his disciples by being a devoted student and pleasing her spiritual master. You could always write to her and ask her. :)

UD was always a kind and generous person.
She seemed a really good mom too.
Hanging out with her and her family was always fun.
Her husband KJD was really cool too. (now divorced).
I liked her a lot. She was super passionate without being fanatical to me (at the time).
Zealous with a twist of sweetness.
She's the one who taught me the phrase,
"You can catch more bees with honey than vinegar."
I wasn't into catching "bees" so it seemed a silly aphorism.
She was just talking about getting along with people
(and not about "recruiting" in to the cult, as some people will read into this...)

But nice people perpetuate bad systems
and can be complicit in wrong doings
without realizing how much harm they really are doing....................

Is she a victim or a perpetrator?

Posted by: terrenaut ()
Date: March 01, 2008 06:40AM

Dassi

But nice people perpetuate bad systems

I struggle with this one. I see a lot of kind and decent and loving people involved in SoI. I also see that they are perpetuating a lie. So..are they knowingly perpetuating a lie in order to gain something? Some of them seem very well off materially so that could be true, but others are poor and giving a huge amount of themselves (and their paychecks if they have one) to spread the philosophy of SoI. They are not gaining anything it would seem, except the approval of their spiritual master. Giving up your whole life for approval that may or may not be there, to me this seems like abuse and I definitely see these people as victims. Where Uddhava fits into this, I cannot say. She is spreading a lie, and supporting Chris Butler, and that is a wrong thing.

Some are definitely perpetuating The Lie for material gain. There are those within SoI who break the rules very casually, having affairs, cheating people, engaging in illegal practices... presumably with CHRIS BUTLER's approval. Obviously they stand to benefit from the whole SoI scam, and I would like to see them brought down. But the little guys, I just think they need a lot of help. You can't help people who do not wish to be helped though.

Date: March 01, 2008 06:50AM

Malcolm Wesley WREST
Dear Dassi,

I have once again strayed into a thread of no concern of mine (my mis-spent youth was carelessly wasted in the "wrong" cult).

Is there a "right" cult?
If so, let me know =)

Malcolm Wesley WREST
nevertheless, I'd like to say that I have greatly enjoyed reading your postings as well as those of a number of others here, and I hope that this thread will continue....(there are a number of psychological experiences, common to those who have been in the plight you have gone through....the plucky way that you, and others here, still managed to pull through the experience, is warmly encouraging to hear of...)

Thanks. I'm a fan of your posts on other threads too.

Malcolm Wesley WREST
we are all effectively ultimately answerable to no one other than ourselves (and God). I hope that it proves possible for the more sensitively responsible among the people who post here, to mutually support each other sufficiently that you are then able to create some overall "expectations" about the standards of postings on this thread, and of the "consideration" towards others that should reasonably be expected.

It takes a collective effort
and good moderation...

You sound like a UN Peacekeeper =).

It's no surprise what's happened here.
People who get into cults are not too keen when it comes to personal responsibility.
Flipancy is either inherent or a side effect of being in a cult.
I don't know which.
Cultdom has little care for individual expression.

We can just as easily flip into and create a cult of anti-cult
as a cult of anything else.

As far as standards and expectations,
Rick has clearly stated them.
Unfortunately, he has no time to keep up with and enforce every thread.
He does as good of job as he can and really tries to be judicious and fair.

The internet is also a mine field.
Some forums just play rough.
I split when I don't like it.

Date: March 01, 2008 11:29AM

"You sound like a UN Peacekeeper =)." Dassi

Thank you Dassi, although it is of course easy to be "impassionate" and "objective" towards people and about matters in which I have never personally suffered....my record in my own thread, (where I am far "closer" to the issues) would probably not quite qualify me as a peace-keeper.....("Mary Poppins with a Kalishnikov" is more the style I aspire to, there....) I hope you would consider doing the same for us, in the event debate became hopelessly entangled with personalities....among the former JesusChristians.

As you remark,

"But nice people perpetuate bad systems

"

I like Terenauts take on this issue and would agree that the longer you stay (or the "higher" you get), the less likely it is that you will be able to remain "nice")....any cult feeds overtly off the idealism of others, while it covertly seeks to manipulate their weaknesses.....Most members would have originally been "nice" in some respect....Even in the instance of "Chris Butler" and "David McKay" (who I consider, are ultimately victims of themselves).... while I of course cannot speak in relation to Chris there was once was a "nice" (if fatally flawed!) David, that I met and interacted with.....

(..its jsut that these two particular victims feature a little low on my personal priorities, these days...)

Posted by: krsnacon ()
Date: March 05, 2008 03:25AM

TO:
freeatlast 1-10-2007 10:17pm page 123
Om shanti shanti shanti 1-11-07 4:21am page 124

I am very sad to see alot of disinformation on these threads mostly from people that barley know what they are talking about. Mostly woofers who stayed at the center who were treated kindly by those who were there to turn around and bad mouth those people and didnt take the time to find out the truth. I have much respect and feel for those who have genuinely have had a bad experience with SoI, SIF whatever you wanna call it. But I must clear up a bunch of ramblings that I have come across. First off, if you are wondering if I am a follower of Jagad Guru Siddhaswarupananda Paramahamsa the aswer is YES. I feel that so many people here trying to give out the names of initiated diciples and where they live is irrelevant to what trauma people have had. Uddava Dasi yes indeed lives in Sacramento (carmichael) and yes she is married to a polish guy. Her divorce was due to normal problems that array in most marrages like distrust and other personal that I will not indulge for the benifit of those who seek to use this info for damaging one reputation. As far as the house next door it does NOT belong to Ravi. Ravi lived in fair oaks with his wife who's name is Mala Dasi...NOT Pam like someone has told you. And Pam is not her birth name eigther. Yes they are Knickerbockers and no they're children did NOT go "crazy". They are simply getting an education. One is in Law School and the other has a B.A. in Poly Sci. and NO they dont actively participate but do still have much respect for the teachings of Jagad Guru. As for Ravi's 16yr old Daughter who was pregnant. She was NOT 16yrs old she was 21yrs old. She just looks fairly young. Which she was married to a guy for 2 or 3 years until they divorced which I will not say why but I can say that its not due to the Center or the teachings. I do know that they divorced and he went away due to how its hard to be around a person goin thru something like that. But since has returned and is an active member of the center. I do know what his name is but I will not give that out eigther as he is a very nice guy and wouldnt wanna bring any hardship on him from those who only seek to do just that. I can say that Ravi's daughter's Husband was introduced to Jagad Guru thru her and has been a very loyal follower. We are actually good friends. As for Ravi and his Wife Mala Dasi they are a very nice couple and Ravi was living with other people due to complications with their marrage but since things have been worked out. It souds like alot of divorcing but the fact of reality is that 50% of people that do get married get divorced. Same is true for the follwers of Jagad Guru as they are all humans like the rest of us. As for Phenap Das. Why anyone would want to know the whereabouts of him is beyond me. Phenop is a very kind and gentle person and would give you the shirt off his back if you needed it. As would many of they other people that I have encountered. I am aware that there are people who give it a bad experience and I have met them but dont let them ruin my experience. And I dont wanna name names to be offensive to those diciples. I would be very weary of things that are posted here and to not take things that seem to target people personaly, serious. Cause most likely it was written by a woofer who had barley knew anything about these people and their personal lives. Just as your neighbors know you but they dont know you personl life and its not like you endulge every thing to them cause they live next door. The secrecy comes from mostly people who wanna do harm and damage reputations of very decent people. I am under the understanding that ISKON did have alot of scandle going on and that there was a problem with child abuse and other things of that sort. But as far as Jagad Guru sleeping with his diciples is perposterous. People from Katyani to the Gabbords all have forged their own way in life with education and smart business deals like most other prosperous people in the world. They just so happen to have a connection with Krishna and Jagad Guru. The reason for all the so called "Homophobic" teachings is because this day in age being gay is the cool thing to do. The christian church, catholic church all have the same teachings about homosexuality is bad and against "Gods Teachings". Jagad Guru is just more blunt about it. I feel that alot of these postings are here to attack those who cannot defend themselves or even care to. But never the less alot of it is rubbish. All of these people mentioned Uddava Dasi, Phenop, Ravi, Mala Dasi and all others are very serious believer and whos to say that they are wrong for believing what they believe or who they choose to follow. As for those who have suffered greatly I am greatly sorrowed to hear this and its is in all aspects of religious teachings from christans to catholics, protistants,Etc, Etc. And yes a couple of bad apples can give the bunch a bad name. As far as the Health food stor Down To Earth and the people who work there. No they dont use attraction to intice people nor do they funnel they monies back to SIF, Soi. I am pretty sure they do donate some money back but it is purely by choice and not manditory and I do know this for a FACT not BS fallin outta my mouth. Maybe its the perversion of the person precieving that one is using attraction but I do know these young boys and girls DO NOT engage in illicite sex before marriage. And yes it is taught that sex if for having children but like said we are humans and of course they have sex on a regular basis like everyday people. I am not hear to down people just to clearify that alot of folks on here have no idea what they are talking about and they seem to give out personal info as if its gonna help anything. I am pretty sure that you would want any of your personal info put out about you. So lets keep it to what this post is for. Those who have been distressed. thank you. I am open to answer any questions that any may have

Date: March 05, 2008 09:48PM

Mary Poppins with a Kalishnikov" is more the style I aspire to, there…

Well Malcom, I am a recovering Pollyanna. Are there any Pollyanna Anonymous groups out there?

Even in the instance of "Chris Butler" and "David McKay" (who I consider, are ultimately victims of themselves).... while I of course cannot speak in relation to Chris there was once was a "nice" (if fatally flawed!) David, that I met and interacted with.....

I and others agree that Chris is ultimately a victim of himself, but no “boo hoos” coming from here. Z was always making the case for a progressive mental illness.

Here’s a song dedicated to all you Exes out there! Didn’t come out till 1999, but would have loved it sooner when I left the group!

Tina Turner
[youtube.com]
When the Heartache is Over lyrics
[www.lyricsmode.com]

Date: March 05, 2008 09:55PM

....any cult feeds overtly off the idealism of others, while it covertly seeks to manipulate their weaknesses...

Great statement MWW. Says it all.

I, like Terenaut’s take on this issue and would agree that the longer you stay (or the "higher" you get), the less likely it is that you will be able to remain "nice")

In Chris’s group, this was not exactly or always the case. The shit heads were the middle management. They got shit from above and below. They were the ambitious ones always on the cusp of “pleasing the unpleasable guru”. They were the folks who were between the slaves and those that breathed the same rarified air as Mr. Guru. These were the guys Chris would use to fine you, send out nasty memos about how spiritually in danger you were for not pleasing guru, and do the dirty management work. The really higher ups were independent and wanted little or no association with the worker bees. They’d rather enjoy their beaches and travels, good food, spa lifestyles, and feeling all “spiritual”.

The Harvey’s were in their own, curious category. Mr.H was ALWAYS on CB’s shit list. CB hated this guy. (at least when I was still around). I guess they were kept down and humble this way. The thing that they HAD was money. John always knew how to provide for his family. So Linda was free to pursue her “service”. They could afford to do what guru wanted them to do. After the divorce, I’m wondering if Mr. H escaped the cult or not. Hope so.

Which brings me to the questions, “If people are fundamentally good to begin with, do they change to bad?” “Can a good person be used by a bad guru for long periods of time without becoming complicit?” “Is a person who suffers from cognitive dissonance ever responsible?”

A fundamentally bad person will rise to positions of “Guido the Enforcer” or a slave labor factory owner. Chris had a knack for using peoples’ innate talents. As you stated, using their “weaknesses” and “idealism”. Linda Harvey is probably one of the nicest and most idealistic people I have ever met! She needed Pollyanna Anonymous years ago!

To return to the Wizard of Oz analogy Z brought up eons ago… Once the wicked witch was killed, even the flying monkeys became nice again! Even the witch’s guards softened and thanked Dorothy for killing the witch and breaking the spell they were all under. Hopefully, this and other sites will help in the same way.

I suppose, if I look at my life in the cult, that I am responsible for getting some people involved that may unfortunately still be in there. I didn’t use any “mind control” or special, secret recruiting techniques either. They were friends and loved ones who got caught up in my own enthusiasm and idealism.

You know, it is a very romantic, colorful, and sensuous religion. (The smell of the incense, the chanting melodies and rhythmic drumming, the sway of the flower garlands while dancing in the kirtans, being in Hawaii dreaming of the characters in Vrindavan…the charming, young guru you could hang out with...) None of us were aware that CB was such a narcissistic character and fraud ……. at first.

Date: March 05, 2008 11:08PM

krsnacon
TO:
freeatlast 1-10-2007 10:17pm page 123
Om shanti shanti shanti 1-11-07 4:21am page 124

I am very sad to see alot of disinformation on these threads mostly from people that barley know what they are talking about. Mostly woofers who stayed at the center who were treated kindly by those who were there to turn around and bad mouth those people and didnt take the time to find out the truth. I have much respect and feel for those who have genuinely have had a bad experience with SoI, SIF whatever you wanna call it. ... I feel that so many people here trying to give out the names of initiated diciples and where they live is irrelevant to what trauma people have had.

This forum’s purpose is to critically review a cult run by Chris Butler. It is the responsibility of the reader to sift out the facts. I agree that there has been a lot of wild and exaggerated statements made by some posters here and on the other website and forum. There were also many inaccuracies. I also agree that attacking people personally and trying to reveal identities and posting photos of every known member is just wrong. But public figures and published news items are fair game.

I disagree that it is just a few bad apples that have caused harm. I think it is the fundamental philosophy along with a delusional, yet charismatic leader. There were only one or two ex-woofers who have been linked here. Many more postings have been legitimate and often by former, initiated disciples of Chris Butler…people who have actually met and had a lot of direct contact with him. Don’t so easily blow them off. They have a right to question the belief system and share their stories. Also, everyone has come away with very different and disparate experiences in the cult, depending on time and position in the cult. If you were there, you would recognize who is telling the truth and who is exaggerating, and who is just malicious or playing games. But through all of this there are a lot of common themes. Themes that indicate that it is a genuine cult in denial about itself. How dangerous it is being a matter of opinion.

Of course if you are still involved in the cult you will disagree. I suggest that you keep an open mind. Read other sections of Rick Ross’s website.

I came on this forum looking for old friends. I found a couple, and made some new friends too. One of the pains of leaving the cult was leaving behind some really good people. I do not regret leaving. My life did not turn to hell. I am not spiritually dead. Actually my life has bloomed in more ways than I could have imagined when I was in Butler’s cult. Being on this forum has been cathartic as well as painful when I have been flamed and attacked by people. But that is just how it went down.

Unfortunately, some really aggressive posters have come on this forum and caused a lot of havoc and confusion. Use your critical thinking skills. Most reasonable people skip over the obvious rantings. You group does not allow for critical discourse. People who disagree are demonized. Your leader is considered infallible. We have found him to have clay feet. He has exhibited the symptoms of narcissist, paranoia, and megalomania for years. But that is all excused because of a little concept called cognitive dissonance, a phenomenon experienced by most cult members. Look it up.

Date: March 06, 2008 06:06AM

Part of "cognitive dissonance" has to do with not being able to see things as they really are.
It's about seeing or being told the truth and still excusing the contradictory behaviors and fallability of your guru.
It's about adopting a whole new set of belief systems that go against what you always knew to be true.

For example, we were told that we were not a cult and yet it has all the ear marks of a cult.

We were told that people who question or complain about CB are just demons and materialists, and yet we know these people were no such thing. We are told not to associate with them because they will contaminate us. We are told not to desire spiritual gain or salvation and yet we live in fear of people who have doubts or minds of their own!

We were told that we are not fanatics, and yet we experience fanaticism daily and CB has a twisted rationalization for every situation. We are told it's the followers fault and could not possibly be Jagged Prabhufrauds! But they are serving his every command and whim and philosophy! It makes no sense.

There are hundreds of examples on this and the other website and forum.

"Cognitive dissonance is a psychological state that describes the uncomfortable feeling between what one holds to be true and what one knows to be true. Similar to ambivalence, the term cognitive dissonance describes conflicting thoughts or beliefs (cognitions) that occur at the same time, or when engaged in behaviors that conflict with one's beliefs. In academic literature, the term refers to attempts to reduce the discomfort of conflicting thoughts, by performing actions that are opposite to one's beliefs....

"Maintaining conflicting principles (e.g. logically incompatible beliefs) or rejecting reasonable behavior to avoid conflict can be increasingly maladaptive (non-beneficial) as the gap being bridged widens, and popular usage tends to stress the maladaptive aspect. Cognitive dissonance is often associated with the tendency for people to resist information that they don't want to think about, because if they did it would create cognitive dissonance, and perhaps require them to act in ways that depart from their comfortable habits. They usually have at least partial awareness of the information, without having moved to full acceptance of it, and are thus in a state of denial about it. This "irrational inability to incorporate rational information" is perhaps the most common perception of cognitive dissonance, and this or another example of extreme maladaption would appear to be underlying many conceptions of the term in popular usage."

[en.wikipedia.org]

Maybe the woofers were selfish ingrates.
But theirs was just one story.
Maybe they really did see things as weird as they really are ...
...and followeres are just so used to the maladapted life that they can't see the truth.

You are wrong kcon; there are hundreds of posts here from people who do know the truth about Chris Butler and his group.
Most want to remain annonymous and move on with their lives and not be hassled by the cult or any anti-cult,
but feel it important enough to let people in on the truth.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.