The Trinity Foundation of Dallas, Texas
Posted by: zeuszor ()
Date: August 13, 2007 02:02PM

For Pete's sake (no pun intended), David McKay makes Ole Anthony look like an Eagle Scout.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: counselor47 ()
Date: August 13, 2007 09:11PM

zeuszor
For Pete's sake (no pun intended), David McKay makes Ole Anthony look like an Eagle Scout.
Part of the problem with Ole/Trinity is that they got so close. I tend to hold them to a higher standard because, at times, they seem to be actual believers. And yet, they continue to disappoint.

I really know nothing about David McKay and the Jesus Christians except for what you have told me. However, saying that Ole and Trinity are not as bad as they are is still damning them (i.e. Trinity) by faint praise. A person might also argue that Stalin was not as bad as Hitler, but that still does not make him good.

Posted by: zeuszor ()
Date: August 14, 2007 04:27AM

I did not say that OA was "not as bad as" DM. I am saying that DM has fallen off a deep end that OA has always apparently stayed on the sane side of, and that OA looks like Mr. Nice Guy by comparison.

We are talking Colonel Kurtz, [i:e0156f9332]Heart of Darkness[/i:e0156f9332] stuff. A sick, violent, dangerous, and all-around evil man. I gotta get out of here.

Date: August 14, 2007 07:49AM

Well, you probably should post your comments about Dave McKay on a forum that pertains to him. I know there are at least two on culteducation.com.

As to Ole, whatever else might be his virtues, he is [i:572fccd5f7]not[/i:572fccd5f7] Mr. Nice Guy.

Posted by: cultaware ()
Date: August 16, 2007 09:33PM

Is TF claiming that they sent a lot of footage to ABC and that ABC editied it to show Price in a bad light? If that is not how it happened then ABC should be able to clear its name somewhat and TF would still be on the hook. Any thoughts on this? Also last weeks Dallas Observer printed a letter by Mr. Duncan in its letters section. It seem Ole [b:46ee0847ec]still[/b:46ee0847ec] has no response. Big suprise right.
cultaware

Date: August 17, 2007 04:19AM

cultaware
Is TF claiming that they sent a lot of footage to ABC and that ABC editied it to show Price in a bad light?
cultaware
That seems to be what they are implying, but I am skeptical. If Trinity had sent the full tape then ABC would have known better than to edit it in the way that it was. I bet that the snippet ABC used was something that Trinity had already edited.

Posted by: seeking ()
Date: August 17, 2007 07:28AM

Here's Counselor47's letter to the editor which was printed in this week's edition of the [i:97b4ddf5ee]Dallas Observer.[/i:97b4ddf5ee]

I will be interested to see if The Dallas Morning News does anything about this story, or if they will continue to be punked by the [i:97b4ddf5ee]Observer[/i:97b4ddf5ee]. Ever since my wife's book about our experiences at the Trinity Foundation, [i:97b4ddf5ee]I Can't Hear God Anymore: Life in a Dallas Cult[/i:97b4ddf5ee], came out, the silence from the Boys of Belo has been deafening. I guess I can see that they might not have considered Wendy's book to be news (though it dovetails nicely with their interest in not looking too bad for their complicity in making Ole a celebrity), but here we have a situation where a prominent television preacher is suing a nationally known reporter and the ABC along with Ole Anthony and the Trinity Foundation. If that's not news, I don't know what is.
Anyway, kudos to Glenna Whitley for her excellent work on this story.
Doug Duncan
[www.dallascult.com].

Date: August 19, 2007 01:31AM

Part of what irks me about [i:8027a36fcf]The Dallas Morning Snooze[/i:8027a36fcf] is that, while ignoring all of the negative information about Trinity Foundation--starting with my wife's book and continuing through all the stuff that Glenna Whitley uncovered in her excellent piece in [i:8027a36fcf]The Dallas Observer[/i:8027a36fcf] a year ago (see [www.dallasobserver.com])--they continue to promote [i:8027a36fcf]The Wittenburg Door[/i:8027a36fcf] on their religion blog. Here is what was recently on their blog, along with my comment:

[b:8027a36fcf]Wittenburg Door Insider is out[/b:8027a36fcf]

The latest edition of the Dallas-based religious humor magazine can be found here.

Posted by Sam Hodges at 10:40 AM | Comments (1)

[b:8027a36fcf]Comments[/b:8027a36fcf]
Maybe I missed it, but did anyone on this blog comment on the fact that the publisher of the Wittenburg Door is being sued, along with John Stossel and ABC, for their contributions to a story about televangelist Fred Price?

Posted by: Doug Duncan | August 17, 2007 08:39 AM

Date: August 22, 2007 09:34PM

Since posting the above on the Dallas News Religion Blog I have had an email exchange with one of the religion writers at [i:d8640a2976]The Dallas Morning News[/i:d8640a2976], Jeffrey Weiss, who also happens to be the blogmeister for that forum. He maintains that the reason the [i:d8640a2976]DMN[/i:d8640a2976] has not taken note of either Wendy's book or the lawsuit from Fred Price is that Ole is such "small potatoes."

We had to agree to disagree about that, because, although Trinity itself is a rather small group numerically, they have had a pretty significant impact on some larger ministries. Ole has had a 10-page article written about him in [i:d8640a2976]The New Yorker[/i:d8640a2976], has been written up in [i:d8640a2976]US News & World Report[/i:d8640a2976], [i:d8640a2976]The LA Times Magazine[/i:d8640a2976], and numerous other local publications. He has been on [i:d8640a2976]PrimeTime Live[/i:d8640a2976], [i:d8640a2976]NBC Dateline[/i:d8640a2976], [i:d8640a2976]Scarborough Country[/i:d8640a2976], and other national TV shows. His name is pretty much a household word in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex among people who follow the news, and lots of Christians across the country who are interested in the various controversies surrounding the televangelists are aware of Ole/Trinity.

Nevertheless, since the tragic demise of [i:d8640a2976]The Dallas Times Herald[/i:d8640a2976], [i:d8640a2976]The Dallas Morning News[/i:d8640a2976] is our only major daily newspaper, and as such, they get to decide what is and is not news in our fair city. Thank God we at least have the alternative weekly, [i:d8640a2976]The Dallas Observer[/i:d8640a2976]. That way, there is at least a little information out there that does not necessarily conform to the official version of the news.

Posted by: Mark Scheiderer ()
Date: September 28, 2007 10:00AM

To Counselor47 and the Mrs. -

Just talked to Ron Henzel, of Midwest Christian Outreach, a few hours ago, and he had nothing but praise for your book! Have you ever thought about sending copies of the book to various counter-cult/apologetics ministries? As far as I know, there's still only one couple that sides with Ole.

Godspeed and God bless,

Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.