> on full display.
>
> Jim Baker, leader of the Source Family cult, had a
> similar justification of his God-status, something
> along the lines of "Somebody's got to have the
> courage to stand up and be God and I'm the only
> who has that courage." It's in the documentary The
> Source Family (which btw is too uncritical and
> takes his lies about his past at face value IIRC).

Zizlz, there we go... m is at the same stage...

Wondering if m is studying those predators for new ideeas...but I guess they just share the same mental illness.

How sad and disgusting...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mooji a cult?
Posted by: Joyfree ()
Date: May 06, 2019 03:57AM

No Ramana Maharshi Lineage has one comment that hits the nail on the head:

“Well, he proved he is NOT Self realized in under a minute in this clip.”

Posted by: zizlz ()
Date: May 06, 2019 04:24AM

Joyfree Wrote:
> Wondering if m is studying those predators for new
> ideeas...but I guess they just share the same
> mental illness.

Right! Sometimes it looks like they've all been reading the same cult leader playbook but I agree it's likely just symptoms of the same mental illness. Another common trait seems to be an ever increasing paranoia. I wonder how that will play out for m.

Posted by: AnnetteChappelle ()
Date: May 06, 2019 07:52AM

Sorry for delayed response

Thank you PapajisaysNo and Joyfree.

I was pretty lucky as my warning flags went off with James S.

I stopped responding to his emails pretty quickly then I learned the gossip. But I have no idea if it’s true or not. So being near m has increased my “spidey senses” I can definitely feel a huge difference between a teacher like Rupert Spira who would NEVER do this and someone like James S.

Oh well. Live and learn and learn and learn. :)

Back to m

I’m seriously considering writing a book about my experiences and what I gained. If you have written me a PM, please know I will not use what you have shared.

If you want to be apart of the m book but wish to remain anonymous you can say so. And it’s in writing so you can be assured I won’t do a “James Swartz” on you and share your personal story.

PM me if you want to be involved or have ideas or think it’s a crap idea or a good one. I don’t want to use the wall for personal use.

I’m off here now accept for PM and won’t be responding accept if there is something new that comes up and I want to share it.

Peace.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2019 07:55AM by AnnetteChappelle.

Posted by: Sahara71 ()
Date: May 06, 2019 09:58AM

Annette,

I think it's a great idea to write a book (as you already know!) I hope people will get on board with this and share their experiences with you (anonymously if they wish).

Writing a book could be very rewarding on a personal level, quite apart from what it might reveal about M. And I believe that it doesn't really matter if such a book serves to warn people away from M or not.... it would still be a powerful message about the type of pit-falls encountered by spiritual seekers.

You know, when I first got involved with the Mooji sangha, I had absolutely no idea that any individual could misuse his influence as spiritual teacher to such a degree. It didn't even cross my mind! It all looks so innocent form the outside. And now I feel so differently and I see how badly people can get hurt by organisations like M's, especially trusting, open-minded people.

Mooji is really a very insignificant teacher and the whole neo-advaita scene is a very small, mostly isolated movement with very little credibility in the world at large. From that point of view, you are only looking at a very small potential readership of such a book as you might write.

However, yours is such a unique story of personal triumph over adversity that I honestly believe a lot of people, especially women, will be interested in reading it! Even if they had absolutely no idea who Mooji was and what Advaita was all about- it wouldn't matter, because I think everyone can relate to having a yearning for a more profound, more enlightened life... a life that involves a spiritual quest of some sort.

Posted by: klaklaklak ()
Date: May 06, 2019 10:00AM

When I was in the thick of mooji mania (family and friends all told me I was too obsessed which I knew, but justified it because i found it sooo pleasurable and enjoyable and also Mooji said if you have one habit or attachment let it be to the master and his pointings) I screen recorded his sangha chanting his name and would chant it in my room.

Now i look back at this video, saved on my computer as "beauty" (eek) and also notice it's 66.6 MB in size (oy) and i admit this is strange stuff.

ALso it's catchy! I played it for a few seconds while my nieces and nephews were around this weekend (oops) and they were breaking out into this chant playfully throughout the weekend. When my 6-year-old niece sang it this morning in the car, out of nowhere , 36 hours after she'd heard it, I was disturbed

They managed to make a chant that is catchy and sinks into the subconscious somehow

Here it is

This video soon will be removed by their copyright team

Please watch at your own risk

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2019 10:03AM by klaklaklak.

Posted by: Ananas ()
Date: May 06, 2019 01:35PM

Sahara71 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I think it's a great idea to write a book (as you
> already know!) I hope people will get on board
> with this and share their experiences with you
> (anonymously if they wish).
>
> Writing a book could be very rewarding on a
> personal level, quite apart from what it might
> reveal about M. And I believe that it doesn't
> really matter if such a book serves to warn people
> away from M or not.... it would still be a
> powerful message about the type of pit-falls
> encountered by spiritual seekers.

Yes Annette, I agree with Sahara! Go for it!

> You know, when I first got involved with the Mooji
> sangha, I had absolutely no idea that any
> individual could misuse his influence as spiritual
> teacher to such a degree. It didn't even cross my
> mind! It all looks so innocent form the
> outside.
And now I feel so differently and I
> see how badly people can get hurt by organisations
> like M's, especially trusting, open-minded people.

Sahara, absolutely, same here! I had no idea how cults operate and even if so, I was CERTAIN about m and when family/friends warned me, as they saw pics of m, I totally dismissed it.

>
> Mooji is really a very insignificant teacher
> and the whole neo-advaita scene is a very small,
> mostly isolated movement with very little
> credibility in the world at large.
From that
> point of view, you are only looking at a very
> small potential readership of such a book as you
> might write.
>
> However, yours is such a unique story of
> personal triumph over adversity that I
> honestly believe a lot of people, especially
> women, will be interested in reading it! Even if
> they had absolutely no idea who Mooji was and what
> Advaita was all about- it wouldn't matter, because
> I think everyone can relate to having a yearning
> for a more profound, more enlightened life... a
> life that involves a spiritual quest of some sort.

Yes, as these teachers/cult leaders use pretty much all the same techniques etc it will be very useful!

Posted by: Ananas ()
Date: May 06, 2019 02:08PM

klaklaklak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> ALso it's catchy! I played it for a few seconds
> while my nieces and nephews were around this
> weekend (oops) and they were breaking out into
> this chant playfully throughout the weekend. When
> my 6-year-old niece sang it this morning in the
> car, out of nowhere , 36 hours after she'd heard
> it, I was disturbed
>
> They managed to make a chant that is catchy and
> sinks into the subconscious somehow

Yes, when they came up with the m satguru mantra and the arati, that for sure was a point in time, when it went obviously, and for anyone who can see, totally OVERTOP. And yes, that is scary that your niece came up with it again after 36hrs....!!OMG

Posted by: Valma ()
Date: May 07, 2019 01:53AM

I had a dream: i was part of an organization and we were "under attack" by articles that were questioning our way of functioning and particularly our Headmaster's doings. What could we do to counter-attack and not lose our reputation and especially income? First have a brain-storming meeting about our defense strategy with the whole team.
Then call our lawyers to do their job against the villains who spoke badly about us but we could also polish our image through our website. How could we do that? Someone came with a brilliant idea which indeed i had seen being used as a good advertising strategy in modern especially American websites that sell products or services to make you feel well, happy and successful. But then i suddenly woke up and could not remember what it was.
I turned on my computer and was surfing on the net, when lo and behold, there it was that brilliant idea in front of my eyes:
it is a section called APPRECIATION on the Moo's website. Very fresh testimonials, but maybe a bit too many of them??!!

Posted by: snapping-out ()
Date: May 07, 2019 04:04AM

wow Valma,

yep, so over the top that page full of appreciations. Great blurp! Smart advertising indeed. Not for advaita vedanta by the way but for mr m. It's all about him. How wonderful he is. So, buy this bs, buy it now! Look at all these happy people. Who wants to talk about that young man who killed himself! Or any other nasty little secrets ( becoming less and less secret).

The moo-mantra-video is taken down (ofcourse) as was to be expected. I remember it was recommended that one did that chanting every morning for seven minutes. "A beautiful way to start the day".
It was also done before the satsangvideo in the sangha I was in.

Being in such a sanghagroup felt like another step into the grip of this cult. You are still being groomed. Made to feel special. You got to watch satsangs that were a "special gift from Moojibaba" not to be shared with just anyone. With the threat that if you did they would not be able to share them anymore. You were advised to come together as a sangha on very short notice (usually one day before the broadcast).
At the same time it was becoming more and more demanding. But in a very subtle way. I did notice and felt uncomfortable. Calling this unease "resistance of the mind" ofcourse. All these "guidelines" for a meeting of a couple of people watching a video. And they would really like you to integrate these stopmoments at the ashram (one in the morning, one in the afternoon) in your daily life. Hey, sure. Sorry boss, can't do my job right now, having a stopmoment.
And then there is the One Sangha Gathering. Also very special, for those "who are deeply immersed in the energyfield of satsang". Not just for everyone. And if you were selected to go and represent your sangha it was a serious affair. They don't want just any member to show up at the ashram. And if no member ticked all the boxes they would rather you didn't send anyone.
And you start to see these people as friends. As beings you feel related to. As if you finally found like-minded souls. All very predictable in a cultlike environement. I don't want to say it is the same for everyone. It was like this for me. Breaking with this false master was also breaking with people I really liked and was fond of. But our bond was only as strong as this cult.
And that hurts, big time!

Annette, if you really feel to do it: write that book! As this forum already has over 200 000 views there may be more interest for it than we think.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.