Colleen Marian Conaway, James Arthur Ray, seminar in San Diego
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: October 15, 2009 11:13AM

Another reason they take people's ID, is that your ID is your "identity".
And these advanced seminars work to rapdily try to destabilize people's "Identity", so taking their ID "voluntarily" is part of the transference and destabilization process.

Also, would anyone be interested in getting a QUESTION into the mainstream media?

Did Colleen Marian Conaway die while attending a James Arthur Ray, Creating Absolute Wealth Seminar in San Diego CA Jul 24-26 2009?
Did she die while attending a "group field trip to Horton Plaza Mall" as part of the seminar? [www3.signonsandiego.com]

So far, no one in the media, or a well-known blogger has asked that question of James Ray.

If some people could post that question, information and links, simply asking that question, it might help get the question into the mainstream media.
The information could be sent to reporters in media who have covered the story, written an article about the James Ray recent deaths, Huffington Post bloggers, or other bloggers who's blogs are covering this story.

Was there another death at a James Ray seminar just 2.5 months ago?

Options: ReplyQuote
Transcript of private call between James Ray and sweat lodge victims
Date: October 15, 2009 03:02PM

Re: Byron Katie (the Work) and Eckhart Tolle Legit??
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: October 29, 2009 09:49AM

A change to Janaki's blog

Interested persons who want to read the material formerly posted there will now have to obtain it by requesting a copy of it on pdf.

[janakisstory.wordpress.com]

Posted by: Diamondcrust ()
Date: October 29, 2009 10:30PM

I was able to find the pdf of Janaki's story about her and Byron Katie here:

Byron Katie & Janaki

Date: October 30, 2009 07:40PM

If anyone wants to order that pdf, they should make sure their above ground identities are kept private and secure.

Re: Byron Katie (the Work)
Date: October 31, 2009 04:55AM

The link 2 posts above appears to be a direct link to the PDF of the archived blog about Janaki and Byron Katie.
So a person could access the PDF either through a direct download, or an email request.

Has anyone checked if the text is pretty much the same as the blog, or has it been updated?

Its unfortunate for readers that the blog was taken offline, as all of the direct links to the blog pages all over the internet won't work anymore. (unless the blog goes online again someday).

But of course, a person's blog is their blog, and they can do whatever they want with it!
And it appears the full text is still available for those who are interested.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2009 05:00AM by The Anticult.

Date: November 01, 2009 09:44PM

Golden Oldie

It is common to say, 'Take what you like and leave the rest, why be so negative?'

Our correspondant Amiryeti gives a good reply to this.

[forum.culteducation.com]

Re: Byron Katie (the Work) and
Date: November 14, 2009 04:08PM

A new report here about Byron Katie.

"I watched this woman take an educated psychotherapist who had been severely abused, tied to a bed and beaten at age 5 do a turn around where she assumed responsibility for what had happened. At one point she said to Katie....."Lady you are fucked up in the head", that was the healthy part of her, it did not last long. Katie new just how to manipulate her. It was as scary as it was amazing to watch. It made me sick to see how manipulative this woman truly is. She knows just who to pick. If you are vulnerable she sucks you in and she gets you, if not she basically implies that there is something wrong with you and tells you to go do the worksheets. A win win for her..."

Byron Katie (the Work), Cults In Our Midst, Persuasion techniques
Date: November 26, 2009 10:51AM

Cross-reference the information in these threads about Byron Katie, with chapters from the book Cults In Our Midst by Dr. Margaret Singer.

The Work/Byron Katie-strong concerns [forum.culteducation.com]
Byron Katie and "The Work" Participant Reports [forum.culteducation.com]

Everyone should own a copy of Cults In Our Midst, which anyone can get now for a few bucks. Its all there.

Chapter 6 Physiological Persuasion Techniques
(meditation, diet, hyperventilation, repetitive motion, sleep, stress, purging)
[www.culteducation.com]

Chapter 7 Psychological Persuasion Techniques
(Trance, hypnosis, Ericksonian naturalistic trance induction, guided imagery, indirect directives, trickery, REVISION OF PERSONAL HISTORY, peer pressure, modeling, emotional manipulation, psychotherapy cults)
[www.culteducation.com]

Excerpts from Cults In Our Midst
By Dr. Margaret Thaler Singer [www.factnet.org]

Date: December 18, 2009 02:20AM

One persons perspective. He or she asks how we could respond if "How can we handle external threats if we deconstructed our beliefs so much that external dangers are not see as “evil” or “dangerous”?"

(excerpt from a longer article)

Quote:
Here are some problems I see with her teaching:
1. BK proposes we inquire into and see the unreality of all thought and thought-referents (objects in the world). This could have disastrous consequences for humanity. One of the things that make us human is our conscience, our sense of right and wrong.

How would we react in the face of evil if we didn’t see it as evil? How can we handle external threats if we deconstructed our beliefs so much that external dangers are not see as “evil” or “dangerous”?

She gives the example of a nazi throwing a baby into a flaming pit. This act she says is God. “God is what-is. And until we can accept our baby being destroyed we cannot come to terms with God, with reality” (Paraphrase from Losing the Moon.)

What kind of power will this leave us with if we all — or many of us — deconstructed our sense of right, wrong, and justice? Imagine a scenario with aliens invading and wiping us out. Would we have the moral fortitude and strength to defeat such an enemy if instantly all of our thoughts were met with “Is this true?.. is this really true?… how do I feel when I believe this thought?…”

[74.125.93.132]

The comments following this article make interesting reading. Comment #39 is from a person who was involved in what became a psychotherapy cult, The Center for Feeling Therapy.

And in Comment 42, the writer, a therapist says this

Quote:
I’m a psychotherapist and have been practicing buddhism this way and that for a lot of years. KB’s little 4-step can be a wonderful tool – it’s really in the tradition of cognitive therapy, radicalized by some non-dualistic perspective.
I say perspective because, as someone up there notes, she’s an absolutist (and absolutism has a funny way of slithering into nilhilism), and that doesn’t hold philosophical or ethical water. It’s terrific for busting blind judgements and real projections and painful false beliefs. And I now would stop there.

Because it’s dangerous.

It might be helpful for an abused person to turn around “He shouldn’t have raped me” and discover “I shouldn’t rape myself (every time i get hooked into obsessive and painful replays)”, but that’s (Corboys italics) slippery and had better be pretty carefully worked.

And “He should have raped me” is a notion that only works at a level where no one needs any 4 step anyway.

I had a horribly childhood-abused PTSD client who spontaneously declared one day, “I don’t want to do the victim thing any more. I wouldn’t be who I am, and I wouldn’t know what I know if it hadn’t happened. It’s incredible. I feel wonderful, it’s somehow just this incredible, insane totally valuable moment of my very own life.”

That held. She really got a lot of release with that insight. And I asked her later what she’d do if she came across a man raping a child now. “I’d try to blow his brains out”, said she. So that’s no hesitation, anyway.

It’s also story-bound, that business of finding a way to incorporate suffering into your narrative. Limited, relative. But Katie’s not Nagarjuna, either. I’ve settled (uneasily) with the formulation of an ultimate and a relative reality that appears in some Buddhist schools… Might be framed as “Nothing is inherently and objectively real, it’s a dream, a flash of lightning, a dewdrop, etc. — but hey, tie your horse to a tree.” In this vast seamless perfection it’s also not OK to throw a baby into a flaming pit.

KB covers this problem of right judgement, discernment, discrimination, when she talks about not going into the yard of a biting dog. Reckon one might also shoot that dog if it’s a Nazi running off with baby.

But there’s a problem with the biting dog being perfect and perfectly doing its perfect job over in the relative reality, which she has to deny. She’s stuck.

And she’s charismatic and adored and I believe absolutely sincere, and the money is rolling in, and teachers like this have a wretched tendency to gradually go narcissistic and mad. The stories rolling in now are achingly familiar. Sigh.

In the Bardo realm blissful heaven’s at the top, but you don’t get to stay there, you get blissed and blind and tumble back into hell, which is utter paranoia. This is what happened to Osho I think, and maybe Trungpa.

It’s my favorite sad joke – “too much emptiness!” In psychological terms it’s the return of the repressed.

As someone said, it’s a terrific trick and genuinely liberating in one sense. But be careful.

(Corboy)
I can cite a real-life example of what can happen in a scenario where we do not make a distinction between not-dangerous vs dangerous-fight-back-NOW!

Here it is, in the form of two dog stories.

Once, I met a woman with a very friendly dog. The dog was a labrador/pit bull mix, but in this dog, the labrador temperament dominated.

This dog perceived everyone as 'friend'. The catagory of 'not-friend' apparently did not exist in this dogs computational process.

"Our place was burlarized while he was in the house," his owner shook her head, looking at this big, happy galoot of a dog.

'And our neighbors never heard him bark--not once.'

This dog had perceived the thief as no different from his or her family, and made no racket, while the intruder selected and stole away the valuables.

On the other hand, there are dogs who make a clear distinction between family/vs-not family.

A guy in college told us he put his Doberman Pinscher in the back seat of his car, while running an errand.

When he returned, there stood a would be car thief, trapped.

The thief had reached in through the window, and the Dobie dog knew this dog was NOT her owner. She treated him as an intruder, grasped hard at his hand, and he could not budge, because if he tried, she clenched her teeth harder.

The police came and arrested him.

That dog, unlike that Lab mix desribed earlier, could make a clear, and useful
dual distinction between family (wag tail) and non-family (bark and bite and prevent
a burglary)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.