The Royal Line
Same goes for the SatGuru title.
In the East a satguru varies greatly from a person considered to be a guru. Gurus can be any person that is himself/herself seeking enlightenment and are considered, traditionally speaking, to be someone that directs and guides in all matters of life for beginners (he is the leader and all follow behind him). This role would be similar to an Abbot or Mother Superior in the Christian tradition In the world today, most persons desire to claim that their respective guru is a 'satguru' because it would imply that they are not mere beginners, but more advanced in their practices and respective achievements. However, the great lineages and respected religious authority do not recognize that all guru's are 'satgurus' and note the differences, among many, as follows:
* A satguru does not keep you as a follower.
* A satguru does not instruct you on how to live your life, make any decisions for you nor suggest you live a certain way.
* A satguru requies you to use your own discernment, rather than demanding your trust to follow him implicitly.
* A satguru does not require that you renounce worldy life in any way, knowing true renunciation is a state of mind and not a station in life.
* A satguru does not display kashyas (anger, rage or passions), but remains composed in equanimity.
Sanyaas, or formal renunciation, is not a precursor to Self Realization. It has never been and it shall never be. The fact that Guru Swami G requires sanyaas for her students to reach Self Realization reveals, traditionally speaking, that she is not a satguru nor does she understand that Self Realization is not inhibited by a person's status, station or gender.
In the West persons are greatly confounded by the traditional Eastern philosophies and easily manipulated by persons who exploit these traditions. Careful study, including the characteristics of a cult (which should not be found with a genuine satguru who is never one to run your life), would help tremendously in curbing the personal tragedies of those that become enmeshed with con-men and con-women.