Current Page: 15 of 85
Re: Richmond Outreach Center
Posted by: wow ()
Date: March 18, 2009 10:03PM

To rrmoderator:

Thats some good preaching brother. This is the spoken truth that is opposite of what you will hear preached at the ROC.
All you here there is "Do as I say"(not as I do), "Don't question things you hear"(don't think for yourself), "I'm just a sinner
saved by grace just like you"(don't expect me, who claims to be called of GOD to pastor a church, to rise above the
fleshly desires of this world...because I don't want to).

Stay Sharp

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: AW Stevens ()
Date: March 23, 2009 09:41AM

<<< Why are you here?
What is the purpose of your posts?
Are you a current member of the ROC?
What is your opinion of the ROC? >>>

I have been frank enough in my posts, and have said that I have been attending the church for several years, that there is a lot of ministry going on at the church, that I am quite concerned (if not outraged) by some things that I have seen and heard recently at the ROC, and by what I have learned in the last couple weeks in this forum, that I am trying to make a decision as to what to do. Most likely it will be to leave the church.

If there is chronic immorality in the leadership, then I don't care how much ministry is going on, I don't want to be in that spiritual atmosphere, as it would be loaded with demons and curses, which would try to afflict anyone who attends there.

In the last week I have met in person two of the former-ROC posters in this thread, and they have generously provided a lot of insight toward helping me make the decision.

I hope that I didn't hit a nerve with the 'independent church' issue, I was just hoping for some discussion about the issue, as I question whether that is the issue here, as I know of a number of such churches that have had decent and honest histories. Denominational churches have their own set of problems.

What denomination do you think someone should attend (or pastor, should they believe that they are called to be one), who is charismatic and believes in Eternal Security? None of the Pentecostal denominations believe in Eternal Security, they all believe that you can lose your salvation. None of the denominations who believe in Eternal Security, are Pentecostal with regards to the gifts of the Spirit.

That is one example of many as to why there are non-denominational churches. If someone is called to be a pastor, they could easily be doctrinally out of place in every denomination.

rrmoderator
AW Stevens:

The questions are directly relevant and on topic.

Until you are more forthcoming and frank about your purpose and opinions it seems that you may be little more than an "Internet troll" or apologist.

This thread has had some problems with that.

Please don't private message me. If you have something to say, say it here on the board where everyone can read it.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: March 23, 2009 11:04AM

AW Stevens:

There are independent churches that have democratically elected church government, with elected boards, annual financial reports etc.

The more accountability there is generally the safer a church is to attend.

Denominational churches, such as the Assemblies of God, Evangelical Free Church and the major Baptist denominations also have an added layer of denominational oversight, along with educational requirements for their pastors.

No church is perfect, but the more a church has checks and balances that are in place, the safer it is and less likely that leaders can and will abuse power.

Posted by: freedom fighter ()
Date: March 23, 2009 11:57PM

AW Stevens:

If I may give my two cents worth...Try going for a walk in a beautiful park away from all the preaching and hoop-la, listen to the birds sing and maybe see a hawk or a bald eagle soar above. Now that is being close to God. No middle man getting in the way. You'd be surprised at what insights you receive.

FF

Date: March 24, 2009 05:01AM

I would agree that a local church should have as much transparency as possible, so that members can have input into the corporate decision making process, and that financial reporting should most definitely be transparent.

An independent church that was established by the sitting pastor, in most cases will give him a lot of authority as to the government and board, but it would behoove him to have congregational elections for those positions.

People need to be very careful when selecting a church to attend, and should watch for danger signals.

rrmoderator
AW Stevens:

There are independent churches that have democratically elected church government, with elected boards, annual financial reports etc.

The more accountability there is generally the safer a church is to attend.

Denominational churches, such as the Assemblies of God, Evangelical Free Church and the major Baptist denominations also have an added layer of denominational oversight, along with educational requirements for their pastors.

No church is perfect, but the more a church has checks and balances that are in place, the safer it is and less likely that leaders can and will abuse power.

Date: March 24, 2009 08:31AM

AW Stevens:

Please stay on topic.

The topic of this thread is the ROC.

Preaching is also not within the guidelines of this message board.

Your last post was not approved for both these reasons.

Date: March 24, 2009 08:36AM

My post was related to the situation at the ROC, and I didn't consider it to be "preaching", and I was aware of the guidelines here about preaching.

rrmoderator
AW Stevens:

Please stay on topic.

The topic of this thread is the ROC.

Preaching is also not within the guidelines of this message board.

Your last post was not approved for both these reasons.

Date: March 24, 2009 08:37AM

AW Stevens:

Sorry, but I felt it was both off topic and preaching.

Posted by: iswideopen ()
Date: March 31, 2009 08:50AM

I have been reading the threads on the ROC for 8 months. It has helped me out in so many ways. I'm not crazy after all. I'm not the only one that has experienced the misuse of monies and leadership power. We all know what the root of all evil is, money. Money is not the big problem at the ROC. Its the leadership and staff. In a blink of an eye they can destroy the spirit and faith of people that need help. Individuals in "the homes" are not encouraged to regain relationships with their family. Fathers and mother go six months or even longer without contacting their childern. Families are tore apart. This is not right. Everyone reading this thread needs to be concerned.

To WOW,

You have it right. Keep posting.

Posted by: XFAN ()
Date: April 02, 2009 08:03AM

i've had people come and tell me that i am angry instead of hurt.

maybe people are right. im angry that the roc made me believe i would be in troublewith god but really i was in trouble with them when i did something wrong. im angry that they play favorites and only certain peolpl get certain [riveledges. im agry that i dont even want to THINK about God bec ause it reminds me too much of the roc. and im angr that britny ferrell is allowed to date pastor G's son who is apparently 17, and she is 20. when me and my boyfriend were the same age, but got kicked out for dating..

yes, im angry. and i need to get it off my chest.

Current Page: 15 of 85

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.