Current Page: 45 of 49
Re: YMBBA Ministries
Posted by: Outside Observer ()
Date: April 23, 2013 09:29PM

Another update - looks like they've got a 'preaching permit' at SFA with the understanding that they have to abide by noise level restrictions and not being overtly harassing. Nobody is happy about it, but First Amendment, etc.

Responding to lizabethTyler's question about if they hold any ground on campus - I have to admit that I'm not up on how 'kids today' think about religion, but I can't help but think that their style is going to turn off the vast majority of people who encounter them.

Problem is that they are going to attract that small fraction of one percent of folks who are looking for that sort of Authoritarian group to tell them what to do and what to think and to tell them that they are part of some Consecrated Elect or some such to make them think that they've got the One True Special Way to Heaven or whatever and then suck them in.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: God's Child ()
Date: April 23, 2013 09:56PM

Pray the Armor of God (Ephesians 6) over this school and over anyone that comes in contact with them. Outside Observer....you are very astute. Lizabeth Tyler....do NOT even think about engaging with these people. If you do, you open a door to the enemy, in my opinion. The enemy is very cunning, do not forget it. Senhome....you too seem to make some very good points.

Pray also that the leadership is dealt with in a very clear and concise way. I don't pray harm, I just pray correction.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: April 23, 2013 10:12PM

Lead by a good example. Preach and witness with respect and love. Those that want authoritarian leadership are going to want it and find it no matter what you do.

Outside Observer wrote

Problem is that they are going to attract that small fraction of one percent of folks who are looking for that sort of Authoritarian group

God's Child wrote:

do NOT even think about engaging with these people. If you do, you open a door to the enemy, in my opinion. The enemy is very cunning, do not forget it.

This is a time to be as cunning as a snake and harmless as a dove.

The Adversary loves high emotion, crisis and confrontation. Dont add to it. Bystanders may try to egg you on and into a confrontation. Dont fall for it.

Lead by a good example. But beware of snares.

A time to behave wisely as Jesus did when asked whether to pay taxes or not, and he answered "Render to Caesar that which is Caesar's (the coins with the Roman emperor's portrait on them) and render unto God, that which is God's."

Friends, beware of any kind of confrontation. In fact, YMMBA may be craving a confrontation so that they will look like persecuted martyrs--and so that your legitimate groups can be thrown into disgrace.

Discuss your concerns with campus police and get advice. What I write below is no substitute.

Keep in mind that many people now have cameras.

Some possible precautions to take.

1) Designate one or two trustworthy persons to be 'monitors' when YMMBA is present. One should have a camera and one should be an observer. Ideally three or more.

2) Do not have any conversations with YMMBA members unless your monitors are present, one with a camera, and no one should be be carrying a sign or anything that could be construed as a 'weapon'.

3) Avoid any situation that could give rise to touch, shoving, etc. Too easy for someone to claim that the legitimate group 'acted aggressively'.

4) Best to avoid meeting or conversing with YMMBA members where there are no witnesses present in case of a misunderstanding.

Date: April 23, 2013 10:23PM

I wholeheartedly agree with what corboy and God's Child have written above.

Date: April 24, 2013 04:15AM

No matter what is said, either by your adversaries or by a crowd craving some sort of confrontation, act calm--even if you are boiling inside.

A big part of leadership/professionalism is staying calm. In a way, when we get advice from a professional, we are hiring that person not only for his or her expertise--we are hiring that person to be calm for us.

It isnt an emergency. Its a 'situation'.

If things get bad and you ever have to call the police, use the word situation. It keeps things in perspective.

We all have an animal instinct to retaliate if baited.

It takes moral and psychological strength to refuse being baited. This is a time to remember the advice, 'Thou shalt not follow a multitude to do evil'.

The culture values confrontation. TV, social media, the news, the movies all model confrontation. Mobs of people revert to lowest common denominator. All this is 'the multitude'.

Back in college, I used to see the fraternity guys booing the campus preachers.

If you're male, dont get manipulated by any suggestion that you are showing weakness or cowardice by staying silent or walking away.

If you're female, ignore suggestions that you're being arrogant or elitist or unloving by refusing to engage in a conversation that is slanted against you.

People love scenes and drama. Dont contribute to it.

Its far more adult to keep silent or, if things get bad, to walk away than to be baited into a confrontation.

At the very worst, you could risk suspension or expulsion or have to go to the expense of hiring an attorney to prove your innocence.

Even if you know and God knows you are innocent of wrong doing, a bad move (such as blowing up at someone, even if the other person is in the wrong) can land you in a situation where you have to hire a lawyer to prove your innocence--and that can be expensive.

There's the level of life where God knows the truth--and this complicated world where, though innocent, we still have to protect our reputations--and that means moving carefully--wise as snakes, harmless as doves.

Date: April 24, 2013 04:37AM

Final suggestion (and get advice from campus police, too)

Dont throw anything so much as a wad of Kleenex. You dont want to appear as though you threw a 'missile/projectile'.

If anyone else, (even a bystander) does such a thing--walk away, and slowwwwllly.

Do not stand within touching distance.

Beware of making gestures such as pointing a finger, elbowing or waving one's hands, etc.

Someone could claim you touched or struck them.

If in any doubt, keep hands at sides and....walk away, backwards, if necessary.

Dont be within touching distance if you are holding a placard or sign or umbrella--any such object could be construed as a 'weapon' in event of a misunderstanding.

(A police officer once said that in a bad situation, anything can be used or alleged to be a 'weapon'.)

Posted by: lizabethTyler ()
Date: April 24, 2013 05:14AM

corboy and God's Child- I agree with you completely. Fortunately I have not had any contact with the YMBBA ministry and don't plan to either. Generally I'm only see and hear them for at least 30 seconds because I'm rushing to class, work, meetings, etc . I talked to my Aunt who is my spiritual mentor and she also agrees that YMBBA are to be avoided when it comes to confrontation. If there is anything I learned from my relationship with Christ is that it's between me and him, not what a certain group tells me. When I first heard this group speak ( at a very safe distance might I add) I did respect their boldness of their faith, however I did get the vibe that they are not to be trusted and need to be taken with precaution.

Do take comfort in knowing that our campus police listens to our complaints ,so they do keep an eye on them now , incase of another confrontation. ( Police cars are parked close by where YMBBA likes to preach)

Outside Observer- So it is true that they only take one class just to technically preach on campus? I thought that was just a rumor. Regardless you are right that the majority of the students don't really listen because we are getting tired of their agressive style. It does scare me that they still could reach at least a small percentage that do wish for an authoritarian lifestyle.

I will continue to pray for God's guidance and for families to be reconciled from this.

Date: April 24, 2013 09:45PM

Hi lizabeth, I have not seen the enrollment records myself, but got my information from a UPD officer who was investigating the group.

I'm very glad to hear that most students aren't attracted to that crowd. I wonder if there is an Interfaith group on campus that could do a program on the characteristics of cults and how to practice discernment.

Posted by: 4everfaithful ()
Date: April 25, 2013 12:35AM

Awesome suggestion Outside Observer! I wish more campuses would offer those programs!

Date: April 25, 2013 06:49AM

Hear hear. That kind of course would be a real public service.

In fact, one could do it as part of consumer education.

*Never go on a weekend training or seminar of **Any Kind** if they refuse to tell you what it consists of and especially if they hint it wont be effective if you were told about it

*Never go on anything like that even if a friend or your employer pressures you. (In the latter case, its often against workplace law)

*Never disclose personal inforamtion in front of a group of people, esp if you dont know them--how can you know what you say will be kept confidential?

Always fact check a program or person making extreme claims. Use terms like money, finances, supoena, allegedly, charged, arrested, bankruptcy.

College students are long term high value investments--people want your vitality, your attention, your credit, your SOULS.

You will never have this kind of energy in your life--so respect your self by making sure that the projects you get involved with are run by people of good character who can stand a background check.

Thats the kind of thing to teach in this kind of college or campus course.

Also--remember how easy it is to rent rooms or conferance centers at or near a famous church, university or hospital. Doenst prove that the person renting the space is endorsed by the facility---its just room rental. But appearances can be manipulated.

Finally, never let anyone keep you awake past your bedtime. Its hard to make good decisions when short on sleep. Dont let anyone mess with your sleep.

And keep control of your car keys and phone. Dont surrender them to anyone.

Even if you rfriends wants to stay at group set up that gives you a bad vibe,---leave. They may already be hooked in.

Save yourself and get out. Keep control of your car.

Dont feel you owe an explanation. Just leave. Some recruiters can talk or guiltyou into anything. Just pray silently and get out.

Current Page: 45 of 49

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.