Current Page: 4 of 12
The Religion of Peace
Posted by: Vera City ()
Date: January 09, 2014 01:43AM

Islamic Terror Attacks on Christians
(Since 9/11)
This is a list of targeted acts of terrorism on Christian civilians and church workers by religious Muslims since September 11th, 2001. These attacks have nothing to do with war, combat or insurgency. The victims are innocent Christians who were specifically targeted and abused solely on account of their faith by those who claim their own religion as a motive.

There may be a few anomalies on the list, as it is compiled by keyword search from our main database. Neither is this a complete account of Islamic terror attacks on Christians since much of the violence goes unreported.

(Last updated on Thursday, January 02, 2014)

LIST OF ISLAMIC TERROR ATTACKS ON CHRISTIANS

THE SLAUGHTER OF NIGERIAN CHRISTIANS

Options: ReplyQuote
The World is Changing and Will Be Vastly Different for Our Children
Date: January 09, 2014 05:37PM

This video is a bit "propraganda-ish" but the point is worth looking at. It does bring to light the possible impact of both unchecked immigration coupled with the Islamic dream of global domination.

MUSLIM DEMOGRAPHICS VIDEO

These are not the immigrants of the past who retained their culture but became an enriching part of the society. Think of the ethnic neighborhoods in any big city in America whose children learned English and became good citizens. But the Islamic influz is a group of immigrants who take advantage of the system and never really absorb or contribute to the whole. Their intent is to overthrow the petri dish of their host country.

Re: The World is Changing and Will Be Vastly Different for Our Children
Posted by: shakti ()
Date: January 10, 2014 01:29AM

Yeah, it's funny. I used to cringe when right-wingers would attack "multiculturalism" and just assumed they were being racist. Now that I'm a little older, I've realised:

diversity=good
melting pot=good
muliculturalism= bad

Mulitculti means you get to move to a new place, keep ALL your old customs and superstitions and impose them onto the society you move to. That is wrong.

In the Netherlands, for example, they MAKE newcomers watch videos with things like women kissing other women in public so that immigrants understand "this is how we do things in our society, if you can't handle this, don't come!"

Not that it is always an effective strategy, but the U.S. (among other countries) has failed to do this kind of education with Muslim and other immigrants.

It's Not the Burqa, Stupid
Date: January 12, 2014 06:29PM

shakti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah, it's funny. I used to cringe when
> right-wingers would attack "multiculturalism" and
> just assumed they were being racist.

I thought the same until a few years after 9-11. I loved the Italian neighborhood and Chinatown in San Francisco, the Japanese Town in Los Angeles, the Jewish hoods in New York, and the soul food and black churches in Chicago. That was the melting pot.

For every immigrant population there is always an adjustment period prior to assimilation (see movie Gangs of New York)Fact vs Fiction "Gangs of New York"
Ultimately the predominating culture and language prevails to the betterment of the whole while still retaining the rich additions of the immigrant culture (religion, food, character).

I do not see a healthy assimilation in Islamic dominated immigrant communities around the world. They go to very liberal, "live and let live" areas around the world and dig in their heals. By the time people realize what has happened they have a real problem. Think Dearborn, Michigan, Malmo, Sweden, Islamic neighborhoods in Canada, London and France.

In the late 1990's I witnessed first hand a sudden rise of Islamic immigration in a typical American city. It was a very open and liberal city and neighborhood. Every week you would see new families move in quite suddenly. I have never seen this before. It was also a Jewish neighborhood. And what happened next is what you see all over the world. Hate crimes against Jews or Christians go up.

Another problem is that few countries collect statistics on religious affiliation, which makes sense. The west has concluded that a proper civilization supports religious freedom.

Perhaps it is the newness of Islam that is the problem. It hasn't gone through centuries of modification and modernization like Christianity, Hinduism, or Judaism. Most do not realize that Islam is a very young religion. It is also a very derivative one as well. It is a cult that really took hold. Even Mormonism, an even younger religion has had to moderate. But that is not happening with Islam.

It is important to recognize that Sharia law will make most of the crimes against humanity committed by the cults discussed on this website look like petty misdemeanors.

But our love for people and humanity, our tolerance of differences, our respect and protection of the rights and freedoms are virtues being exploited by the dream of world domination by Islam. It is a struggle for all liberal minded people.

We can't allow this to happen. That is why the research done by Margaret Singer and others is so important. People need to start looking at Islam as they would any other dangerous cult.

One last point. I cut my teeth on feminism. I was raised by feminists and the women's rights movement. I do not understand the silence of the feminist movement regarding women in Islam. They turn a blind eye on this topic.

ARAB SPRING OR ISLAMIC SPRING?

Survey:
While Saudi Arabia recently allowed its first female lawyer, the nation's religious police enforcing Sharia law have a far from stellar record on women's rights. In March 2002, religious police stopped schoolgirls from escaping a burning school in Mecca because they were not wearing headscarves and black robes, nor were they accompanied by a man. As a result, 15 girls died and 50 were injured.

Moaddel argues that Egypt is the most conservative of the Muslim nations, as only 14% there said women should choose their dress, the lowest results among the 7 nations.

Furthermore, 19 in 20 Egyptians said a women should be required to obey her husband, the highest result in that question.

The findings back research last November which placed Egypt the lowest in the Arab world in terms of women's rights, with Saudi Arabia coming in third worst. A UN report last April found that 99.3% of Egyptian women and girls had been sexually harassed.

What follows is a puzzling statement. I wonder if the authors of the survey were not pleased with the results and tried to justify it. Egypt was once one of the more moderate Muslim nations priding itself with modernity, distancing itself from more archaic cousins like Afghanistan. It prides itself with its own Arab Spring. Moaddel can not seem to connect this new machismo with Islam's efforts to change the culture in Egypt.
(A side note: The "Arab Spring" has paradoxically broken out first in the most liberal and modern of Muslim counties.)

Survey:
Moaddel [lead author of the survey published by the Middle Eastern Values Study at the University of Michigan] argues that Egypt is the most conservative of the Muslim nations, as only 14% there said women should choose their dress, the lowest results among the 7 nations.

However, Moaddel assesses the Egyptian position as being sexist without relation to Islam. "The problem with Egypt is not just religion, it is an intellectual trend," said the researcher, adding "Egyptians have become more sexist in the past decade. They have become less religious, less supportive of Sharia (Islamic law), but on the issue of gender, more conservative."

Survey:
The survey found that the generally agreed mode of dress for women in public among the 7 Muslim nations consisted of a tight white headscarf covering everything but the face.

Assuming of course that the rest of the body is also draped or covered...

Okay, let women have a choice and if they want to cover up, fine, fine... it's not about the burqa or the hijab. You want to advertise to the world your religion and fly your freak flag, fine... fine... You still have a choice here. But for purposes of health, safety, identification, and certain kinds of work, it needs to be given up. American women converts to Islam will uncover full face for identity purposes (to get a drivers license)...for now... until Sharia Law comes to town...

THE ORIGINAL SURVEY AND MORE ON TOPIC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2014 06:37PM by Vera City.

Jihadi Indoctrination = Cult Indoctrination
Date: January 12, 2014 10:09PM

This is interesting. Note all of the cult tactics used.
Graphic Novel Challenges Jihadi Indoctrination in the Wake of Syria War

Kudos for MEMRI

Even when covered up women get harassed
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: January 12, 2014 11:28PM

It isnt enough to cover up. Immature males with the sanction of religion still find ways to behave like creeps.

To claim that women 'need protection' is already to confess that one's society has *failed.*

Covered Up, and Harassed, in Cairo - The New York TimesJun 23, 2009 ... Women's groups say public verbal insults, groping and even rape are on the rise
in the Egyptian capital.
www.nytimes.com/2009/06/24/world/middleeast/24iht-letterweb.html - Similar pages

BBC News - Egypt's sexual harassment of women 'epidemic'Sep 3, 2012 ... Egyptian women are harassed by men and boys in Cairo. ... been sexually
harassed have been veiled or completely covered up with the niqab.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-19440656 - 113k - Cached - Similar pages

Egyptian Man Disguised As Woman Harassed, Document Sexual ...May 10, 2013 ... CAIRO -- Waleed Hammad dressed conservatively for his secret mission ...
donning a long tan skirt and sleeved shirt, and at times covering his ... for a
prostitute and offered up to 4,000 Egyptian pounds ($575) for one night.
www.huffingtonpost.com/.../egyptian-man-disguised-harassed_n_3254935. html - 187k - Cached - Similar pages

Egypt's Sexual Harassment PSA - CairoSceneDec 16, 2013 ... Egypt's Sexual Harassment PSA ... A shocking video has outlined the sickening
sexual harassment faced .... Egypt: Women Should Cover Up.
www.cairoscene.com/ViewArticle.aspx?AId=2075 - 138k - Cached - Similar pages

Egypt Women | Sexual Harassment | Cairo | Police | GlobalPostJun 8, 2010 ... For Egypt women in Cairo Egypt, sexual harassment is a big problem. ... CAIRO,
Egypt — Women must be allowed to hold up “half the sky” for ...
www.globalpost.com/.../cairo-egypt-women-sexual-harassment - 112k - Cached - Similar pages

Egyptian man disguised as woman is harassed - Israel News ...Jun 16, 2013... Cairo, donning a long tan skirt and sleeved shirt, and at times covering his ...
Hammad being harassed on streets of Cairo (Photo: AP) ... a coffee shop owner
to spray water on the pavement so women would be ... was taken for a prostitute
and offered up to 4,000 Egyptian pounds ($575 US) for one night.
www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4393085,00.html - 56k - Cached - Similar pages

By way of contrast, to depict a society that was healthy, I can offer a story about my grandmother.

A man in the neighborhood liked her. He knew she was married.

When he dropped by to say hello or chat, he always too care to sit outside with her on the front porch and never at any time entered the house.

This fellow was working class, not educated in high society. What he did possess was an internalized respect for women and a sense of propriety and also a sensitivity to context.

Mr. X chose to sit outside on the porch to have coffee with Gradma. He did not want to give gossipy neighbors even the slightest opening for rumor.

Covering up doenst solve the harassment problem
Date: January 13, 2014 12:02AM

Year ago, I worked at a Catholic social service agency.

One of the Dominican nuns who worked there wore a modern version of her habit but found even that was not quite enough.

With a sigh, Sister Y said, "I have had to stitch up the neckline of my work dresses. Too many of the male clients would stand over me and peek down."

And she was already modestly dressed!

Sexual Harassment: The myth of the dress code theory. | NervanaOct 4, 2012 ... A modest dress code, avoiding eye contact, and walking briskly are the ... Even
so, currently, even women who wear the full-face veil – the ...
nervana1.org/.../sexual-harassment-the-myth-of-the-dress-code-theory/ - 84k - Cached - Similar pages

Even veiled 'modest' women are sexually harassed… - Al SpittoonOct 8, 2009 ... Even veiled 'modest' women are sexually harassed… ... of sexual harassment
wore the hijab and regarded themselves as modestly dressed.
www.spittoon.org/archives/2936 - 87k - Cached - Similar pages

Street harassment of women: It's a bigger problem than you think ...Apr 18, 2011 ... Teen sexual harassment: What you can do about it in your daughter's ... 90
percent, even though most women are modestly dressed or veiled.
www.csmonitor.com/.../Street-harassment-of-women-It-s-a-bigger-problem- than-you-think - 60k - Cached - Similar

----------------------
full text from the Myth of the dress code.

Warning: strong language.

----------------------

[nervana1.org]

Sexual Harassment: The myth of the dress code theory.
Posted on October 4, 2012 by nervana111

Egyptian women demonstrate infront of presidential palace 5th of October 2012

This piece was initially published as part of the sexual harassment response by Fikra Forum

“Silly girl, why did you take the metro when you saw that it was packed?” That was my teacher’s response to my tearful story of harassment. According to her, it had happened because I, a shy, timid, un-groomed 13-year-old girl, had decided to take the metro to school. It was not the fault of the lawless gang of men who molested me on the crowded metro; they were not part of the equation as far as my teacher was concerned. I can still recall clearly her statement, “If only you had waited for the next metro, none of this would have happened.”

In our society, we hear “if only” quite a bit. This is what girls and women hear when they complain about sexual harassment: If only you had avoided the crowded metro, if only you had not looked at him, if only you had not replied, if only you had dressed differently, if only you had worn the hijab. The list goes on and on. But make no mistake, it is always our fault – the woman’s fault. It is our job to protect ourselves, and not to expect men to behave themselves. A modest dress code, avoiding eye contact, and walking briskly are the unwritten rules that girls learn to avoid being harassed on the street. Walking with your chin down is also desirable, as any bold, self-confidant body language invites “attention.”

But what exactly does a modest dress code mean? In 1970s and 1980s Egypt, wearing a hijab was the answer. In the 1990s and beyond, wearing the jilbab (head scarf that extends to cover the chest) was the ultimate solution. Colors are also crucial; some advocate wearing only black, brown, or grey. The more a woman can put off men, the better. Even so, currently, even women who wear the full-face veil – the niqab - are being targeted.

I believed in the dress code myth for years; I convinced myself that my incident at 13 was just an unfortunate event and that it would not happen again. I simply ignored the repeated verbal harassment that became a recurring theme in my life. This was the case until I visited Iran. That trip changed my life. Like all visitors to Iran, I had to conform to the mandatory Islamic dress code. I was shrouded in black, and frankly a bit scruffy, after days of touring the massive country. One afternoon in Yazd, I headed to the stunning Amir Chakhmaq Complex and Mosque with many locals who wanted to climb to the top balcony for the spectacular view of the city. I followed the crowd and started to climb the narrow, spiral staircase. About half way, I stopped to adjust my shoes, which meant that the crowd ahead of me carried on, leaving me behind. It was at that moment that I encountered a bulky local man who was heading down the stairs. Within seconds, he had pushed me against the wall, covered and sealed my mouth with his hand, and started molesting me. For several moments, I thought I would be raped. I tried to push him away, but I couldn’t. What saved me was the appearance of two angels: Two lovely boys had climbed up the stairs ahead of their parents; the thug let me go once he heard their giggles. Their innocence saved my honor and my body.

Amir Chakhmaq Complex and mosque( with its beautiful balconies)

For me, what happened in Yazd was the ultimate proof that the dress code was a myth. It exposed the fallacy of the dress code theory and revealed how it is used as an excuse by this society to do nothing to address the shameful treatment of women. Like many other women, I was attacked when circumstances allowed a pervert to exploit and assault me.

Now men do not even try to be discreet; women can even be exploited publically on TV. For example, in a recent video, now making the rounds in social media, Egypt’s information minister was interviewed by Zeina Yaziji. Many watched in shock as he said, “I hope the questions aren’t as hot as you are.” Regardless of whether this was a silly joke or a reckless comment, it reflected the depth of disregard for women in our society.

My experience confirms what statistics reveal; conservatism does not cure sexual harassment. It just pushes it underground and covers it with a thick black seal that hides the deprivation and perverse behavior and facilitates the exploitation of the vulnerable. Those who point fingers at the “decadent West” do not understand the core foundations of any sexual relation: age and consent. These two words are absent from the minds of radicals who promote underage marriage. For them, consent is granted through silence; if a woman is silent, then she is happy. But women do not chose to be silent; it is men who do their best to shut women’s mouths and undermine their claims if they dare to seek help.

Sadly, it seems that those who want to bury their heads in the sand will never stop; their twisted logic and myopic vision keeps us from addressing the cultural and economic reasons behind sexual harassment. The call for conservatism masks a deeper problem in our society: the desire to impose medieval patriarchal attitudes and illiberalism for political gain. For some, women’s independence is a threat that undermines their ideology. They hide behind Sharia to brainwash the poor and unemployed. They convince them that women are to blame for their circumstances. Like the dress code myth, they propagate another myth: “If women stayed at home, there would be more jobs for men.” A flawed claim that even countries like Turkey dispute.

We need to protect women in Islamic society. This protection will never be achieved unless women take the initiative and mobilize civil society to rally for more education and legislation that helps to combat harassment. This is a must if we are serious about our democracy, and our human rights.

This entry was posted in Egypt, Iran and tagged sexual harrassment, women 8 Responses to Sexual Harassment: The myth of the dress code theory.

COMMENTS

Nour says:
October 4, 2012 at 9:10 pm
Yes, a whole lot of issues must be addressed together to solve the sexual harassment problem, but this doesn’t take the dress code out of the list. The dress code is one basic element in the process, but notice that even the dress code ‘myth’ is always addressed from one angle, and that what makes it into a myth.

siwasoul1 says:
October 5, 2012 at 1:06 pm
Thank you for another excellent post. As a foreign woman in Egypt of course I experience harassment in similar and also different ways. Many men here think all foreign women are fair game, and unfortunately some women encourage this perception by their behaviour. The porn that most Egyptian men have access to does not help because again they get the impression all foreign women are up for anything.

I dress modestly and don’t do anything to attract attention, but even when covered neck to ankle and wearing a headscarf I have problems. Recently I was approached as I walked on Marsa Matruh beach by a young man who said “Don’t be afraid”, then immediately added “I really like fuck you girls”. I am a 52 year old, not even pretty, and he was accompanied by what I guess was his young brother aged about 10. What sort of example is he giving that child? There were families on the beach and it was middle of the day, so I was not somewhere anyone could say “you should not go there”.

When I first came to live in Egypt and would come home some days in tears, and say to my (Egyptian) partner “I have had enough, every day I am hassled by men”, his kind reply? “This is how it is in Egypt, if you want to live here, you live with it.” Even when I had official business (registering my tenancy with my landlord) with the Tourist Police, I got asked very personal questions and stared at constantly and made to feel very uncomfortable, again I was fully covered including headscarf. I later heard from someone else some of the unpleasant things those Tourist Police were saying about me, not great when you live in a small town.

Then there are the more subtle “offers”. While not harassment, they can be just as offensive, anything from men turning a polite conversation to sex, and probing your experience bluntly, to shop keepers suggesting you don’t need to pay for your purchases …you can guess they expect in exchange. Some foreign women naively think the shop keeper is being “nice”, and are soon disillusioned of that idea.

Gradually I have become stronger and now rebuff any men who hassle me, but it is exhausting sometimes. Yes, I experienced some harassment in my old country Australia, but not the daily hassles I do here. I love Egypt and can see beyond many of the problems here, every country has them, but this treatment of women is the one thing that really makes me sad.

I know many fine Egyptian men who do not do these things, and who respect the modesty rules of Islam for themselves as well as for women. I just wish there were more of them.

gaiamethod says:
October 5, 2012 at 2:49 pm

As another foreign woman, living in Luxor, harassment is also something that I experience every time I step out of my door.. No matter how modestly I dress I am still the foreign woman and we all know what that means…right? Even though we live on the West bank, in a large village where there are few foreigners it is still the same. But what drives me crazy is the double standards! We have numerous Saudi channels which objectify women all the time. Half naked women, in sexually alluring clothes advertising some product or other. Saudi Arabia, the home of Mecca! Then you have the Altet channel, where men can enjoy women dancing all day and al night. Yet their wives are kept in domestic servitude and sexual slavery! .It drive me nuts. It definitely will take women to find the source of their own power and identity, before things will change but it has to start somewhere. It is worse in the West I feel, as women are led to believe that they are sexually free when in actual fact they are oppressed in another way. Now they are taught that if you want a man you have to be a whore. You have to be immodest!!! No matter what way you look at it we are oppressed. Women need to educate themselves and to see that there is another way. The men might have created their perfect, destructive world but we have to create something better..
Changing beliefs is no easy thing but it can be done!!!

(As for what follows: what a pain to have to have an escort every damn time one leaves one's house!!!-Corboy)

ibraworld says:
October 5, 2012 at 3:47 pm
I totally disagree for what has been mentioned as examples taken out of the right ‘setting’ or environment. “Mahram” is one crucial part in muslim women life which means to escort a woman by one of her relatives who is prohibited to marry her in the general sense. one of the goals therefore is to protect her from being targeted. Hijab is one way to deprive her from inviting others unintentionally, and others from getting attracted. This is not an easy issue to address in an article based on a personal experiment.

(name omitted for privacy-C)says:
October 11, 2012 at 8:05 pm
Many words might be used to describe your comment. The most polite would simply be “knucklehead”. You imply that men are so vicious, so lustful and so ruthless that women must be assigned bodyguards from among their male relatives. Medieval does not even describe your mentality.

(name omitted for privacy-C)says:
October 8, 2012 at 1:20 pm
Good post, thanks for writing it up and I really like your closing line about women (in our region) stepping up and mobilizing for their rights. More men should support that cause as well.

As you know, top-down approach has done much damage to the feminist cause in Egypt and other countries. State feminism (Suzan Mubarak window dressing for women rights) has provided many with the opportunity to raise their voices against more women rights (like people who want to override the right to divorce/khul’). Funnily enough, Suzan Mubarak has once stated sexual harassment is not a phenomenon in Egypt and such news are probably an agenda for some people (referring to Islamists)!

On another note, it’s very important to start to really capture the reasons behind sexual harassment and gender violence in general. In this post I attempt to do so. [rwac-egypt.blogspot.com]

Also, I assert my stance that women are free to choose whatever they want to wear, whatever that is. I believe that just like there is fascism in name of religion, there can be fascism in name of liberalism. The key word for women here is CHOICE.

Thanks again for the write-up!

Marco says:
October 11, 2012 at 2:40 pm
With all due to respect, I have a good (American-Egyptian) friend based in Egypt who says that his fellow Egyptian citizens are “a step up from dogs”.
I totally agree. If it was for me I would take harrassers, hang them by their genital appratus and have them spit at in the middle of the streets. A medieval solution to a medieval problem.

Luke Montgomery (@LookingFor_Luke) says:
October 11, 2012 at 8:02 pm
Thanks for sharing, and I’m truly sorry for your negative, even traumatic, experiences.

Health Problems Associated with Cover up Clothing
Date: January 13, 2014 12:08AM

Health Effects of Islamic Dress - WikiIslamSep 22, 2013 ... Ill health effects of Islamic Dress in relation to Vitamin D levels. ... The Burqa, an
example of "full hijab", can contribute significantly to certain ... effects of the
extreme styles of Islamic dress, with the main issues arising from ...
wikiislam.net/wiki/Health_Effects_of_Islamic_Dress - 56k - Cached - Similar pages

Ban the Burqa? The Argument in Favor :: Middle East Quarterly ...In 2010, at a time when Britain's department of health relaxed the strict ..... There
are a multitude of specific problems associated with the burqa ...
www.meforum.org/2777/ban-the-burqa - 88k - Cached - Similar pages

Women could endanger their health by wearing burqasMay 8, 2009 ... The burqas are very controversial among health authorities in Western ... Inner
beauty contest does not consider health issues of the Burqa.
digitaljournal.com/article/272307 - 61k - Cached - Similar pages

The absence of evidence for "burqa bans" | Martin Robbins ...Apr 12, 2011 ... Wearing a burqa is apparently bad for your health, or at least that's what ... As for
the mental health issues, are they related to wearing a burqa, ...
www.theguardian.com/science/the-lay-scientist/2011/apr/12/2 - 125k - Cached - Similar pages

Burqa and Health Implications for Women: Two Aspects, Islamic ...Jul 8, 2012 ... The main issue is the lack of Vitamin D deficiency due to lack of skin ... the burqa-
clad women's health and psychological issues arising out of ...
www.newageislam.com/islamic.../burqa-and-health.../7860 - 47k - Cached - Similar pages

Burkas 'are bad for your health' | Metro NewsJul 18, 2007 ... Hijab and burka-wearing Muslim women are putting their health at risk ... The
problem first came to light in Bradford, which has one of the highest ... 2012
Associated Newspapers LimitedPowered by WordPress.com VIP.
metro.co.uk/2007/07/18/burkas-are-bad-for-your-health-532757/ - 68k - Cached - Similar

The Pendulum Swings...
Date: January 15, 2014 06:36PM

One could argue that the excessive sexualization and objectification of women in popular culture today has caused sympathies with more modest cultures. But then, this extreme sexuality we now see is in the wake of, and (also paradoxically) a back lash of militant feminism.
Strange fruits...

No words for the following report...
Australian Judge Finds Muslim “Cultural Differences” Valid Excuse for Rape

Current Page: 4 of 12

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
This forum powered by Phorum.