Current Page: 80 of 748
Re: SGI mass rallies, propaganda, persuasion,
Posted by: tsukimoto ()
Date: December 13, 2009 11:52PM

The Anticult
Its also directly from behaviorism. They get people into "peak states" and then they LINK those peak states to SGI and Ikeda. Its conditioning with repetition.
Its based on the conditioned response, like Pavlov's dogs salivating when a bell rings.

It would not be surprising if people thought back carefully to older SGI rallies, and they could probably find specific TRIGGERS that were used.

Images, symbols, words, music, slogans, late night rallies.

It would not even be surprising to find something in the SGI rallies, where they even literally ring a BELL at a certain moment, and link that to something they are trying to install in people's minds.

Anticult! Damn! In the eighties, at least where I was, we sang all the time at SGI meetings!

Here's one of the most popular songs from that time, "Forever Sensei!"

Morning sun's shining bright.
La la la la la.
Facing the sky, spirits are high,
Gongyo fills our hearts with joy.

Arm in arm, together we climb.
The sun is breaking through.
Sensei, our lives are growing.
Sensei, our tears are flowing,
as shining eyes call to you.
Sensei, Sensei. Forever, Sensei.

Mid-day sun's burning bright.
La la la la la.
Courage is found,
hope is the sound.
Shakubuku is the way.

Moonlight smiling in the night.
La la la la la.
Tomorrow's dreams, calling to all.
Za - da - n - ka - i

[repeat 2X]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Former SGI members
Date: December 13, 2009 11:56PM

And the ever-popular "Ring the Bell." (Inspired by Pavlov, you think?)

Eight o'clock in the morning sun,
rise again today.
Shine your light on the race we run,
lead us on our way.

Ring the bell, throughout the land
and keep your spirits high.
Fight together, hand in hand.
Our dream will never die.

Side by side as we climb the hill,
rain clouds may appear.
Side by side we will climb until
all the skies are clear.

Ring the bell throughout the land
Fight together hand in hand.

Who will fight for humanity?
I will be the one.
Day and night for humanity,
till the battle's won.

Ring the bell throughout the land
Fight together hand in hand.

Date: December 14, 2009 12:00AM

And the song "Higher Than the Sky," which we also sang a lot -- "Forever Sensei," "Ring the Bell," and "Higher The Sky," were the big three -- we sang at least one of them at every meeting I attended, and even after over three years out of SGI, I could still sing any of them and get most of the lyrics.

Higher Than The Sky

Together, always, we must fight.
Together, we must win.
Happy together, side by side,
sharing tears of happiness.

Shining within our hearts,
is hope for all mankind.
Tomorrow's golden dreams
[are] always higher than the sky.
Higher -- than the sky.

[repeat 3X or 5X]

Posted by: gingermarie ()
Date: December 14, 2009 12:20AM

Hi all,
I can't say enough how valuable these posts have been for me as well, even though I don't post regularly, everything said is a source of validation and healing for me.

I remember that the term "youth division training" was constantly thrown at us in one form or another, bringing up a fight or flight feeling as described by Tsukimoto. If you wanted to be successful, change your dark, miserable karma, and build fortune, (another term for getting what you're chanting for) the best way was through youth division "training". Those without "training" were often looked down upon like second class citizens. Those without training didn't understand the mission of Kosen Rufu, or Sensei's heart, they just didn't get it.

"Training" happened in small settings, for example, manipulating experiences to have happy endings, following the format: present the problem, how you chanted, what guidance, or particular quote from Ikeda encouraged you,(mind you, in the 80's it was a Gosho quote) how activities helped and finally, presto.. the benefit. Those who did not follow the prescribed format for experiences lacked "training", poor souls, and there was a sort of silent contempt (eye roll) for those who either lacked this "training" or chose to ignore it.

Big rallies were the best opportunity to receive this "training", and what better way to change one's karma! We were constantly put on edge, and were told that this was a source of benefit because of the training we received. Actually it was hell. I was once in charge of the kotekitai, young women's fife and drum corps, and we had spent all day Sunday in the hot sun learning a rather difficult song. Well we did pretty well, and I called a top senior Men's Leader over to hear the song, because I thought that we needed "encouragement". After we played the song, and I mean, it sounded good, he started ranting about why we didn't have music stands. Here it was, all these girls, working so hard in the heat of a summer Sunday, and this is what he had to say! My young women's leaders said, "Oh well, he doesn't have youth division training!" The message being, but you do, so man up!

At any rate, this loaded word, "training" meant that you were to put up with any abuse leaders threw at you. It was a carte blanche for anyone to throw any crap your way. And when they did, you were congratulated for changing your karma! Oh, and reminded of how often Toda would scold Ikeda, so it was all good well within the definition of "training". If you were a youth division, and in the fast track, this "training" would definitely pull up the adrenaline any time you stepped in to any meeting. As a "trained" youth division, it was your responsibility to keep an eye out for anything "wrong at the meeting". For instance, if people were scattered about the room, a "trained" youth would be expected to herd them up closer to the central figure. A "trained" youth could be expected to jump in and give a bright an cheery explanation
or experience if the meeting was aparently heading south. A "trained youth" would make a beeline for the guest after the meeting. A "trained" youth could forget all logic, and think only of manipulating the outcome of a meeting to meet the targeted goals; and that did include, at least in the past, doing street shakubuku, bringing complete strangers into people's homes. Many times these people were homeless, or plain crazier that we were!

This is how the adrenaline was brought up time and time again, and how we were manipulated in to doing things that defied logic. Once at a large meeting, not a national one, just one in a high school auditorium, I was standing in the side aisle, before everything had started. I saw the top YWD leader heading toward me, down the aisle. This leader, I trusted and really liked. I saw no reason to jump out of the way, move slightly when she reached me, yes, but nothing more than that. However, when she reached me, she poked me really hard in the ribs, hard enough for me to cry out, and jump out of her way. The look on her face was really angry like, "why the hell are you in the way!" I looked behind her and several top MD national leaders were in tow. If she were in her right mind, she would have tapped me on the shoulder, and said, "excuse me", but she was in an altered state, a state that would allow her to inflict pain on another to accomplish the targeted goal; getting these "Big shots" on stage. In her mind, I am sure she saw the justification, that I needed more "training" to realize that she was heading down the aisle with these important leaders, and I needed to jump out of the way!

As far as using the Brazilian youth to pump up the American youth; yes, another manipulative tactic. "Look at them, they are more seeking of the mentor!" Comparison, and insuination of a put down can motivate those in the that adrenaline state of mind.

This was constantly used back in the eighties during the big shakubuku campaigns. Leaders are a little more subtle now. They just constantly post regional results via email, and harp on how great certain areas are doing, leaving the areas that are not doing so well to feel just a little slighted. I am sure this works on the psyche of those leaders.

Date: December 14, 2009 12:28AM

So what's up with our former Top Three? Well, they're upbeat and catchy, with lots of repetition. Easy to learn, and they stick in your head, even years after you're out of SGI. They all talk about UP -- the sky, the sun, climbing the hill, comradeship, unity, winning a battle or winning a struggle, dawn or morning, darkness vs. light.

FOREVER SENSEI: Sunlight, Sensei (Ikeda), a bit of a struggle to climb that hill, but by golly, we'll do it together and get to the top! Climbing upward together, tears, dreams, hope, courage, shakabuku (converting others), zadankai (discussion meetings), light vs. darkness.

RING THE BELL: A bell (SGI, at this time, was bringing a replica of the Liberty Bell to American schools, and talking a lot about the American Revolution, freedom and democracy), climbing upward, through the rain, fighting for humanity, winning the battle, fighting together hand in hand, dreams.

HIGHER THAN THE SKY: an upward direction, the sky, fighting side by side, sharing tears of struggle and joy.

Concepts that were being pushed at meetings: Itai Dosshin, or unity (many in body, one in mind), and the metaphor of battle, "Buddhism is win or lose." Also, "having a HIGH life condition" (ie, being focused, energetic, and optimistic, which you would be if you were doing lots of chanting and devoting yourself to SGI activities) and "Winning in the morning," (ie, getting up to do morning gongyo, or prayers, so that you could have a great day." "Overcoming your fundamental darkness (dark vs. light).

The music -- Lord, this was right in front of me, we sang all the time -- and yet I did not see what this was all about -- indoctrination! At the time, I thought, "Eh, the song's a bit cheesy, but cute."

My friend who teaches kindergarten does lots of speaking and listening activities with her students -- and she also has the kids do lots of poetry and singing -- says it helps the children's vocabulary and language skills tremendously. She says, in her linguistics classes at the university, she learned this: Words that are sung are processed in a different part of the brain than spoken words.

Well, of course! Advertisers also rely upon jingles and songs in their commercials...and both teachers and advertisers know the importance of repetition, repetition, and more repetition! GET these triggers in our heads!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2009 12:40AM by tsukimoto.

Date: December 14, 2009 12:34AM

If anyone is interested in looking at more SGI song lyrics, you can find them at this link:

nichiren.info/SokaGakkai/spirit/

Here is the list of the songs:

The following section has been made to facilitate the archival of Soka Gakkai spirit songs and materials for members. Please realize that this is a work in progress, and as such, will have minor errors and omissions.

Song Index:
"200 Years from Now"
"Arise"
"Century of Life"
"Cheerful Heart in Unity"
"Dawn Approaches" or "Aa Reimei wa Chikazukeri"
"Dear Sensei"
"Fire Me Up"
"Five Eternal Guidelines of Soka"
"Forever Sensei"
"Friends" or "A Song of Harmony"
"Gakkai Spirit"
"Have a Gohonzon"
"Higher than the Sky"
"I Have a Dream"
"I Seek Sensei"
"Impossible Dream"
"In the Darkness We Will Be the Light - March 16"
"It's a Small World"
"Jeetenge"
"JPD Soka Bodhi Tree"
"Just Start Loving"
"Lion's Roar" or "Lion's Song"
"Make It Happen"
"March Toward the 21st Century"
"Men of Peace"
"Morigasaki Beach"
"Morning Sun"
"Mothers of Kosen-rufu"
"My Mentor and I"
"Ode to Joy"
"On Target"
"Our Dream of Peace"
"Renaissance of Peace"
"Ring the Bell"
"Sabse Pyaara Soka Gakkai"
"Sailing with Sensei" or "Navegando con Sensei"
"Sensei Oh Sensei"
"Sensei, For You"
"Shakubuku Dandies"
"Shakubuku Fight Song" or "Early in the Morning"
"Shakubuku Song"
"Skies of Eternal Victory" or "Song of Kansai"
"Song of Human Revolution" or "Ningen Kakumei no Uta"
"Song of Indomitable Dignity" or "Ifu Dodo no Uta"
"Song of Mothers"
"Song of the Disciples" or "Doshi no Uta"
"Standing Alone"
"This is Our Time"
"Touch the World"
"United"
"Vanguard of The New Century"
"Victory"
"Viva La Pioneers"
"We'll Go On"
"What Can I Do"
"When Liberty Smiled"
"Women's Division Shakubuku Campaign Song"
"World Peace"
"Young Lions of India"
"Zadankai"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2009 12:37AM by tsukimoto.

Date: December 14, 2009 01:01AM

evergreen
I found that recently the SGI has been focusing on Brazil. Although, the USA national leaders say that they have the members that are best connected the "heart of their mentor." Recently at a large youth meeting the leaders showed clips of SGI Brazil and their thousands of youth at a convention - crazed out of their minds, crying because they felt connected to their mentor in life. The youth leaders then said something about how the youth of Brazil were leading the way for all of us, then tried to make a connection that the American youth needed to match Brazil's fervor for kosen-rufu, etc.

And here's another charismatic leader who focused on getting the youth to help him achieve his goals:

------------From the Rick Ross archives, "Brainwashing" page------------------------------------------------

Nazi brainwashing started with Germany's youths

The Tuscon Citizen/August 15, 2006
By Peggy Larson

Hitler proved it. A government or other organized entity can have a profound influence on what people believe and how they act on those beliefs. Particularly is this true for young people. An award-winning book for teenagers and adults provides proof in the chilling "Hitler Youth: Growing Up In Hitler's Shadow" (Susan Campbell Bartoletti, Scholastic, 2005).

The author relates information regarding the means that the Nazi party used to mold the German youth through popular youth organizations, special activities, propaganda, and appeals to support their fatherland. The defeat and consequences the German people had suffered at the end of World War I left a citizenry anxious to regain pride in their country and a more favorable economic future. Hitler and the Nazi party provided them with hope and a cause to embrace with total commitment.

One of the many means the Nazi party used to influence young people was the organization known as the Hitler Youth, officially formed in 1926 with 6,000 members. In a mere 13 years, this and related organizations, including those for young women, influenced a generation of teens and preteens to an unbelievable degree. By 1939 when Germany invaded Poland, Hitler Youth membership totaled 7.3 million and its ranks had contributed greatly to the formidable German Army.

And she quotes another author, Karl Paetel, stating that the Nazis, "rode to power on the shoulders of politically active youth."

Hitler stated, "My magnificent youngsters! Are there finer ones anywhere in the world? What material! With them I can make a new world."
---------------------------End of Quote---------------------------------------------------------------------

And again -- look at brain science! Cognitive scientists know that the human brain is NOT finished developing at eighteen. The part of the brain that does critical thinking and assesses risks generally does not finish maturing until the mid-twenties! Eighteen-year olds make better soldiers than thirty-year olds...the younger soldiers will tend to believe that they are immortal, and nothing is going to happen to them. Older soldiers are much more aware of the risks they're taking -- and to ask, "Is this really worth it?"

And of course there are other reasons, social and practical, as well. You get older, you've got kids to raise, bills to pay. You hear some new idea, and you're thinking, "Yeah, sure, that's fine, but my kid needs new shoes, and the roof leaks."

People also want "internal consistency." If you've done things in a certain way for years, it's harder to change habits. Changing habits and attitudes can also mean admitting that the way you did it before was wrong, something that people don't like to do -- this means that you're not being consistent with yourself, something that can be unsettling to a person.

Advertisers know this well. I read once that if a person doesn't smoke by the age of 21, the odds are very low that he or she EVER will smoke. No, marketers, cult leaders, Army commanders, and religious leaders know: Get 'em when they're young! Changing the old farts' minds can be done, but it's a lot more work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2009 01:08AM by tsukimoto.

Posted by: sushigrl ()
Date: December 14, 2009 02:36AM

All my practice, even when young, I deeply felt that there was something wrong with the music produced by SGI, both Japanese and American. It couldn't be reflective or simply beautiful, it always had to have some sort of militaristic "we will win" theme. The American Gakkai music is abysmal. The Japanese Gakkai music could be a little more emotive or musically pleasing. ONe convention, in Japan, an American theme song was played so much that even Ikeda put his hands over his ears "Mar- ching for- ward to vic- to- ry.... blah blah " Shoulder to shoulder, marching along blah blah" It was sad. Here are the offending lyrics:

Shoulder to shoulder, marching along,
holding the banner high.
With faith in our hearts and joy in our song,
"Peace!" is the battle cry.
We're building a highway of peace,
where every man can be free.
We will fight - for the right -
of every man to be free.
Marching forward to victory,
in the 21st Century.
We are marching forward to victory,
in the 21st Century.

Arm linked in arm, together we go,
walking the great middle way.
Fighting the poisons of fear, greed and hate,
winning the fight each day.
A treasure that's too close to see,
freedom for you and for me.
We will fight - for the right -
of every man to be free.
in the 21st Century.
We are marching forward to victory,
in the 21st Century.

La la la la, la la la la,
la la la la, la la.
Heart close to heart, united and free,
facing our destiny.
The road that we travel is long,
but with hope in our hearts, we'll go on.
in the 21st Century.
We are marching on to change history,
in the 21st Century.

Even with the talents available, the musical minds that are in the Gakkai, nothing had been produced that really had any musical value on it's own. Sad, because other religions have produced works that stand on their own apart from their religious roots, including Sikh spiritual music, Christian, etc.

Maybe some music has been produced since I left, I don't know. But I can't remember anything of value, and I was a music hound of sorts. Seems all of it was used for programming. Anything to do with the practice was very set in it's content to "inspire" or to "call to action".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2009 02:53AM by sushigrl.

Posted by: sushigrl ()
Date: December 14, 2009 02:45AM

DrJesus, yes every gakkai shakubuku meeting had the same format. The only thing they were interested in was introducing new people to the practice, and make them feel "special" by tailoring the meeting to them, and boring the rest of the members out of their minds. Instead of offering really meaningful or interesting information, they would shove the same junk down our throats in hopes that the new person would join. In the event that no new person showed up, we would turn to some poignant guidance or World Tribune "experience" to fill in the time. OR, we would adjourn early and head out to the streets again to drag yet another unsuspecting soul into the room.

They would teach that even showing up to a "discussion meeting" would create good fortune and benefit. Alot of times though, I would be overcome by stinky feet. Mine included hahaha.

Posted by: SGBye ()
Date: December 14, 2009 03:05AM

Tsukimoto, thanks for that link to the Gakkai songs. They bring back a lot of memories (not great ones, though). A song that's particularly ridiculous, yet amusing, is "Have a Gohonzon," which is sung to the tune of "Hava Nagila." I have to admit to being somewhat uneducated to the Jewish religion, but I remember thinking back then, "Isn't this a little offensive to Jewish people?"

And rhyming "loony" with "Esho Funi"? Brilliant:

Have a Gohonzon!
Have a Gohonzon!
Have a Gohonzon!
Chant for a while

When day is dawning,
Gongyo each morning
keeps you from yawning
and makes you smile

You'll find that you will be
full of vitality,
watching your benefits
grow in a pile.

And do Shakubuku!
You will find your day goes smoother,
even though you've been a loser.
Your surroundings may be loony,
just remember Esho Funi.
Turn it on!
Karma's gone!
And be happy evermore

Current Page: 80 of 748

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.