Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: meh ()
Date: January 16, 2014 04:15AM

But it was a holy multi-day fever, right?

There's been an interesting discussion over on reddit, one of the interlocutors being someone who's been to a number of meetings but hasn't swallowed the Kool-Aid as yet. One of the things he seems to be stuck on how nice and normal everyone is.

It suddenly struck me how enduring first impressions can be. Years ago, I was catering a friend's wedding; a woman she knew well lived down the street from the church, and the bride arranged for me to stay at her friend's house. Let me tell you, I was blown away by how clean, well-decorated and welcoming this woman's house was. There were fresh-cut flowers in each of the bedrooms, and the sheets had been dried on a line out in the sun (does anything smell better?). The woman and I became very good friends, but in the 25 years I've known her, her house has never looked like that again. But there's always the idea in the back of my mind that the first impression was the true one, that somehow, she's been a little too busy or distracted to put on the dog as she had that first time.

So it's hard to shake that first sgi meeting where everyone was so loving and welcoming; I've long gotten over that, but that first impression is hard to get away from for awhile, and you make those excuses for people and the organization at first.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re:Death of G. Williams
Posted by: Spartacus ()
Date: January 16, 2014 09:01AM

Just saw the news that George Williams passed away on Nov. 12, 2013. Its bittersweet news for me. Once upon a time, I was very close to Williams - he had been like a father to me. Whenever we spoke face to face, his eyes always reminded me of bottomless wells. He was the only senior leader compassionate enough to encourage me in my efforts to become a professional singer/musician. He was light years closer to being an actual mentor to me than senseless could have ever been. I was surprised when he was removed from the helm of NSA (which for better or worse, would never had expanded as fast as it did without his energy and dedication). But I was really shocked to later learn how he was subsequently demonized and disappeared by Das org.

Right or wrong, Williams was as true blue as anyone could ever be. Right or wrong, he totally believed in the SG movement. His misplaced loyalty and love for Ikeda and the SG was genuine and undeniable. But power does corrupt and I have no doubts that Williams was not totally immune from the influences of corruption. Nevertheless, it is absolutely shameful how SGcult railroaded and scapegoated him. I theorize that:
1.) Sg HQ in Japan wanted tighter control of NSA HQ (as if they didn't already have enough control) and more SG robotic Japanese faces in the higher NSA HQ leadership positions
2.) Big Cheese Daisucku's inflated ego perceived Williams' immense popularity as somehow threatening his own, so he went on a jealous rampage resulting in Williams' removal.

Anyway, Williams was stabbed in the back by the very monster he helped create. Let that be a lesson to any foolish members who believe there are just rewards for leaders that work tirelessly and dedicate their lives to supporting the SGcult world.

Spartacus

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2014 09:13AM by Spartacus.

Date: January 16, 2014 10:56AM

And let's not forget, Spartacus, that no matter how hard and tirelessly the leaders anywhere in the world have worked for kosen rufu, no matter how many decades they have toiled and how much they have sacrificed, when the time comes for the NEW International President to be named, it's going to be the pasty, frog-faced, incompetent, useless fruit of Senseless's loins.

I now excuse you to go attempt to bleach that image out of your brain. I'll wait...

So anyhow, I ran across a site I think you, especially, will appreciate. Here is an example of how Mr. Williams has been systematically erased from SGI history:

Shin’ichi didn’t want members to lapse into an easygoing, mistaken view of their faith. Nichiren Buddhism is a philosophy of human revolution, and it provides a practice for forging and polishing our lives so that we can be strong and wise, so that we may rise to every challenge that life presents and triumph over it.

============

“Congratulations!” Shin’ichi declared. “I’m glad the convention came to a safe conclusion.”

“Yes, everyone is very happy,” the SGIUSA general director responded.

The SGI-USA general director said proudly, “Next year, to celebrate the bicentennial, we plan to hold conventions in three cities—Boston, New York and Philadelphia.”

Cutting him off, Shin’ichi asserted: “Conventions can be a good thing. They help increase public awareness and understanding of the Soka Gakkai, and they are a source of joy for those members who do their best based on prayer, providing opportunities to grow in faith. That said, a convention in and of itself is nothing more than what is referred to in the Lotus Sutra as a ‘phantom city,’ an expedient means to lead people to kosenrufu, world peace and enlightenment. In other words, it’s nothing more than a provisional goal.

“Clearly, our priorities are reversed if by constantly holding spectacular conventions we only end up exhausting the members’ time, energy and financial resources, making them too worn out to introduce others to Buddhism, study the Buddhist teachings and participate in discussion meetings. You need to rethink the way that you hold conventions, which are just growing bigger and more extravagant year after year, and causing an increasing drain on members. The most essential thing is our day-to-day Soka Gakkai activities, which require earnest, painstaking efforts behind the scenes. And it is in ensuring that each member experiences real joy through one’s practice, gains trust in one’s communities and workplaces, and wins in life. That’s the real purpose of our movement.”

Shin’ichi went on to say that placing too many demands on members could become a distraction that leads to accidents. “It’s actually more important to make an accurate report of negative developments, such as accidents, than of positive achievements.

“That makes it possible to take the necessary steps to improve things and prevent future accidents. Leaders must never suppress reports on missteps simply to protect themselves. That’s a very dangerous tendency.” [groups.yahoo.com]
What is important about this is that, in "The Human Revolution" and "The ALL-NEW! IMPROVED! Human Revolution", each major character is given a pseudonym. Only Mr. Williams' character is not. He's just "the SGI-USA General Director," and, as is typical in the sucking black vortex that is Ikeda's ego and insecurity, he only provides a stupid and shortsighted foil so that Ikeda's all-wise, all-knowing, Buddha-like alter ego Shinichi Yamamoto can use the benefits of decades of hindsight to Monday-morning-quarterback and sagely observe everything Mr. Williams was supposedly doing wrong, as if it's happening in real time. As if no one could see it but HIM.

Phony baloney O_O

BTW, the SGI apologist/cheerleader over there is Don Gropp - remember when he stalked me to my private email and started messaging me?? LOL!!

Remember Fred Zaitsu, who replaced Mr. Williams? He's pretty much disappeared as well, eclipsed by the Mr. Williams Version 2.0, Danny Nagashima. (Hold that thought for next post - must be BRIEF!!) Perhaps we are supposed to "live in the moment", believing that the present General Director is the only General Director that has ever been O_O

Shortly after the temporary Community Center opened on Park Avenue and 17th street (1979?), I went to a Young Men’s Division meeting on Saturday. The purpose of the meeting was to make our personal determinations for the future and to present them to Pres. Ikeda. We wrote down one or two line determinations in a binder-type book, one after the other. The meeting opened and, to my surprise, every determination was read. I was uplifted by the determinations. They were so lofty: US senators; judges; congressmen; doctors; lawyers; artists; musicians; and a few teachers, “for Kosen Rufu and for Sensei”. Final encouragement was given by Mr. Kasahara. The jist of what he said was to chant and do lots of activities and we would all realize our dreams without fail. At the end of the meeting, I’ll never forget, this Japanese senior leader going around and shaking hands very vigorously saying, “Ah!, future senator, future congressman, future doctor, for President Ikeda, neh?”

I’ll never forget the animated conversation I had with my best friend at the time after the meeting. I’m sorry if he reads this post and is offended but it is very instructive in terms of the truth of the SGI. He determined to become a US Senator. He told me he applied to become one of the “Who’s Who” of American Youth, and he determined to do so and was encouraged by his leaders to do so, so it would happen. It mattered nothing that he had accomplished little outside of the SGI. He even held on to his dream of becoming a US Senator for a time. He had attained the level of YMD headquarters chief, but he could barely hold on to a job for more than several months at a time, let alone finish college. He says he’s doing great, but to me, the SGI is just a fantasy land of broken dreams.

You will see replies to this post that this was an isolated example but if we delve into the history and the actuality of these young men, we will see that of the ~ 150 young men at the meeting, it would be safe to say, 120 stopped practicing with the SGI during the last 29 years. That leaves somewhere around 30 who continue to practice. Of those 30 how many have gone on to achieve a modicum of success (actual proof being touted by the SGI as the only reliable proof of a teaching)? How many have gone on to become senators, congressmen, judges, doctors, lawyers, accomplished artists or musicians, noted scientists, teachers, etc? To my knowledge, not one has gone on to become a senator, congressman or judge. Perhaps one or two has gone on to become a doctor or lawyer and there were conceivably a few who had gone on to become respected teachers, artists, scientists etc. But out of this handful of “successful” people, how many realized their determinations from that day in 1979? From what I’ve witnessed, the “actual proof” attained by these SGI practitioners was actually worse than the “actual proof” attained by those that stopped practicing or by a similar cohort who never practiced. For example, take any group of 150 highly motivated young men. One would expect that at least ten to twenty percent would go on to realize their determinations. But through the SGI faith and practice, probably less than five percent realized their dreams. However many (or few) there are, this is hardly the universal actual proof that the SGI espouses. [ichinensanzen.org]
*OUCH* AMIRITE??

Also, if you haven't already seen this site, you will like it: [fraughtwithperil.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2014 11:08AM by StillTaitenAndProud.

Date: January 16, 2014 11:28AM

Okay, here we go - part II, which is...wait for it...PHASE II!!!

There were some incidents in the 1970's which should have warned us that all was not well between two organizations, but maybe I was dense and I believed the leaders and priests when they made their assurances of mutual love and fidelity. We later found out that both the priests and the leadership of NSA were trying to shield us ordinary members from the conflicts in Japan. These started with issues dating back to World War II and only escalated with time.

Phase II

In the 1970's, the organization experienced some turbulence, largely due to three things. There were a number of reasons why the organization could not generate large numbers or sustain it's high level of effort indefinately. These were:

- The unstable dynamic of "phase one." Members were practicing almost nightly. Some of the leaders, such as Ted Osaki, gave people one night a week "off," but otherwise members were encouraged to participate in nightly "street Shakubuku efforts" meetings, activities, and other behavior all aimed at creating "Kosenrufu of America". What was inspiring about these leaders was that they put out even more effort than they expected others to contribute. There was very little jawboning for contributions and one felt free to contribute as much as one could. This is probably the best way to guarantee maximum participation. Unfortunately there were enough of these kinds of activities made the organization look cultlike and "burned" out recruits. Campagins were sometimes around the clock and one sometimes felt like a door to door salesperson in doing "Street Shakubuku."

In the Mid 1970's, President Ikeda gave guidance that that meetings should end at 8:30, and eventually that street Shakubuku should be eschewed in favor of more subtle efforts such as "freinds making campaigns." The result of this effort, dubbed "phase II" was that suddenly members began thinking for themselves and many people began living ordinary lives again. Some of them also began realizing that the organization didn't really reflect their wishes. Some felt betrayed when they realized that they had given up careers, lives, schooling, for almost no results. This led to some localized revolts, expecially as events from Japan began affecting the organization. President Ikeda's guidances were well meaning, but he really didn't understand this country and sometimes what was happening here was aggravated by his well meaning efforts to do something about problems in this country.

Mr. William's character of great enthusiasm and sometimes seeming impatience, also had an affect on things. The organization went from one campaign to another, often destroying the results of a shakubuku campaign by completely forgetting about recruits while the organization prepared for a big convention or other event. Mr. Williams seemed to be perpetually trying to please President Ikeda while putting out superhuman efforts towards Kosenrufu. Each Campaign portrayed in triumphalist fashion as a great victory. If Mr. Williams could have created World Peace by himself he would have. As it was he made massive efforts towards creating a world wide organization and was honored by Ikeda with an "honorary" Vice Presidency.
Where is your Shinichi Yamamoto NOW???

The main cause of our difficulties however was that the central organization in Japan was always looking on. Either goading people like Mr. Williams to inhuman efforts, or subtly sabotaging independent efforts or anything that didn't meet with Japanese sensibilities. In Japan whenever the Sokagakkai made a bid for real power, members here were supposed to support it. For example in the 60's, Members in the USA held Daimoku Tosos in Los Angelos to support an election campaign. And when Ikeda sneezed, we got out the hankerchief. When the SGI began to build a Temple building to be named the "Sho Hondo" which was to symbolize "world wide Kosenrufu" with the people as sovereign, we naturally supported it. Members around the world went to extraordinary efforts to raise an extraordinary (for the time) amount of money. Mr. Williams was on hand for the completion ceremony. It was the high point for NSA.

In the seventies a number of "students" showed up in the USA, who were studying here, and some of them were also paid by the Gakkai as "leaders."
I knew some of them personally. All of them were being groomed to eventually take over and "lead the way for Kosenrufu." Everyone of them later became a senior leader and reached a high position in the organization.
That's Danny Nagashima and David Aoyama (who supposedly bought it in the 9/11 terrorist attacks) - I met them during the time they were still "students" and heard their experiences, about 1989. Forget about Americans ever holding any real power or influence in the SGI - it is, and always will be, a JAPANESE organization that is controlled by JAPANESE nationals. No gaijin need apply O_O

The Rise and Demise of phase II

President Ikeda was constantly talking about common sense, balanced practice, and a more democratic organization. Some members took him seriously. Around 1975 something called "phase II" was instituted. The idea was a kinder gentler NSA that would be more attractive to converts and also be able to hold on to members with less "burnout" of members. Members couldn't always maintain the 6 day (or even 7 day) a week pace of "activities" and would often quit after a while. Phase II was supposed to remedy that.
uh...that was the rhythm when *I* joined in 1987! At big meetings, the women still sat on one side of the room and the men sat on the other, with an aisle in between! And everybody took their shoes off regardless of the venue!

Unfortunately people took those words of Ikeda literally, in much the same way that the Communist Youth of the "Cultural Revolution" China took Mao too literally. They started clamoring for transparancy in finances and a real say in the organizations direction and efforts. All over SGI members suddenly started partying, starting businesses, or trying to lead ordinary lives. This led to a situation in which meetings became non-existent, converts disapeared, and the organization nearly vanished as well. People weren't prepared for the freedom! This led to an end to phase II. The "Youth division" was disbanded due to efforts to assert independence and "stand alone spirit."
I never heard about that - did you? Perhaps it was before my time (1987)

And a number of members were quietly removed from positions or told to mind their mouths or be kicked out. The movement was suppressed under the term "phase III." And at the same time a "friends making campaign" and a kindler gentler NSA was instituted under central direction. [webspace.webring.com]
Good times, good times. (Actually, not so much.)

For all Ikeda's blathering about "equality" and "rights" and "democracy", the SGI is an authoritarian dictatorship. No one is elected. The members are told what to do, down to the topics for each month's discussion and study meetings. For all Ikeda's yammering about "soft power" and "persuasion", the SGI is all about "hard power" and "authoritarianism." We were always told that it was basically none of our business where our contributions went. For my first contribution, I stipulated that I wanted it to be used locally. My YWD HQ leader told me that "our area costs more than we collect already". So naturally, all funds could be funneled straight to the top, as we were just poor relatives so grateful for a plate of beans passed secretly to us on the back stoop while everyone else is enjoying Sunday dinner.

Mr. Williams led most of these efforts. His enthusiasm, "bonhomme" ["bonhommie"] and tirelessness impressed many people, including the author of this page. Indeed those around him in Santa Monica are still impressed by his spirit to practice and share this Buddhism. Until 1989 he was "The General Director" and at one time he was also "Honorary Vice President." He was beloved by many American members for his genuine kindness, passion, and unwavering committment to Kosenrufu of America and propagating Nichiren Buddhism.

Unfortunately he also deserves some of the credit for things going sour. There are some people who allege that he abused his position, but I don't think he did so on purpose but was simply caught between the two cultures. He understood his "host culture" some, but didn't appreciate the value of our democratic values or openess, until those things had become a liability to the Japanese leaders. Due to his massive positivity he would have created Kosenrufu of America by himself if that had been possible using a Japanese hierarchical organizational structure and Nichiren Shoshu doctrines. He was unable to appreciate the dangers of the military style structure and the authoritarian habits of Japanese patriarchy and authoritarianism. Perhaps he took Ikeda on the surface meaning of all his speeches on democracy and "bottom up" organization. All I know is that if the NSA had been an elective organization he'd probably still have at least an honorary top position. According to Norman McCormack he later apologized for not realizing this. Of course by then it was too late to have any influence on the hierarchy. Since his departure the SGI has been run with an iron hand by Japan all the while asking us for "advise" (but disregarding it each time it is offered).
Yep, that sounds about right O_O

In 1989 he was publicly rebuked and he was publicly "deposed" by President Ikeda officially in 1992 and replaced with Fred Zaitsu. His replacement ends the story of NSA as Nichiren Shoshu Academy [or "of America"]. In 1989 when President Ikeda gave guidances towards a "kindler gentler" version of the Gakkai in his famous 1990 "mirror guidances" everyone involved thought that meant that American's would inherit leadership of their own organization and that there would follow democratization. Unfortunately that was not to be the case, and Mr. Zaitsu was more quietly replaced with Danny Nagashima in 1999.
At this point, he links to a "sgiusa.html" that bounces immediately to some icky spammy site, and I'm not quick enough to stop it in time. Can anybody do better?

Posted by: Spartacus ()
Date: January 16, 2014 12:52PM

Yes,I agree - SGI presidents will become a "dynasty" of Ikeda twerps. Those with actual qualifications will be passed over for the toad's spawn.

Williams treatment in the New New proves how vindictive fat ass really is. I'd be willng to bet that George never planned an NSA convention without pre-approval and support from senseless. Then he make like George did it all on his own - how likely is that in the control-freak SG? Ikee loved seeing americans falling all over themselves whenever he did attend em. Phoney-baloney is right!

Great point about only five percent realizing their determinations - puts the actual proof myth to rest.

Yes I am familiar with fraughtwithpeart site. It looks like it has some web server problems right now though.

Yeah, I was there in Phase I and it was murder. I participated in those gruelly all night tosos for Komeito party victories in Japan. That shit reallly happened. I didn't even get one day a week off - it was a 24 hr marathon that never stopped. That's when I burned out so completely and had to literally run for my life.

We were totally mislead into believing that Americans were going to take the lead in NSA. When I did return, Phase 2 was in full swing, but the local area leadership had been taken over by yet another Japanese face. I wanted to believe that this time around things would be better, but it wasn't.

I sat on stage with Williams at Ikeda's side at the shohondo convention in "73. I naively thought the bond between them was indestructible. During the Daigohonzon Completion ceremony at shohondo the year before, Williams walked right in front the Daigohonzon along with the prez and the high priest. That was a very prestigious honor. So hypocritical that senseless regarded williams so highly then, only to throw him under the bus later.

Wow! I had never heard about the youth division being disbanded for exhibiting a "stand alone spirit". They must have disbanded it just long enough to get people back into towing the line. I dont think most members ever heard anything about it. All we did hear about over and over was how the youth division would inherent the leadership role directly from the prez. That was obviously all bullcookies.

Too bad Williams realized his mistake too late. If a more democratic organization could have been forged, NSA might have been wrested from the clutches of the SGcult, and could have taken a completely different direction. But the control mongers weren't about to let that happen. They're not about to give up the golden contribution goose. Japan runs the show and will never give a damn what the lowlife round-eyes have to say.

Thanks for all the in-depth info about NSA hidden history and about Williams, and for the links as well. As usual, ST&P, you really rock! So glad nobody around here ever complains about having to read a "wall of text".

Date: January 16, 2014 03:18PM

heh heh heh - "wall o' text" - just another reason to dismiss facts without feeling obligated to consider the content. Bite me.

Say, I know I've told you, but since the post disappeared in the changeover, I'll repeat it. When I was a new YWD leader (and of course in Kotekitai - the Fife and Drum Corps - because that was a given), I was going through a crate of some old papers, and I found a xerox of an article that explained how, in honor of the creation of the Kotekitai, Sensei had invented a new instrument called a "fife"! I showed this to my then-YWD HQ leader, who wasn't the zealot who'd been in office when I started practicing, and she just rolled her eyes and said, "Yeah, things were different back then" or something.

Imagine - Fatass "inventing" ANY musical instrument! Hell, he couldn't even play a windbreaker (the long cardboard tube inside a roll of wrapping paper)! And sorry, culties, but the fife has been around for hundreds of years. SO like that asshat Ikeda to try and take credit for it!

Edit: One more thing. We had such suckish music in Kotekitai that I went to a music store and asked about some really easy jazz ensembles for wind instruments. They hooked me up with an arrangement, which I bought and then donated to the SGI. My YWD leaders told me that jazz was "too hard" and never even let the Kotekitai members *SEE* the music - they never even let them try. I never attempted to find music for the Kotekitai after that - would YOU have??? Talk about authoritarian!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2014 03:22PM by StillTaitenAndProud.

Date: January 16, 2014 03:30PM

I have to tell you something - I was in Soka Spirit, the anti-Temple arm of the SGI-USA, until right about the time I left. It was a really fun group - our meetings were hilarious! I don't know why, but the Soka Spirit function seemed to attract really interesting, unique, independent people. Most of them were really attractive and articulate, too. [Edit: And most of them weren't at all hateful - they wanted to help the Temple members because we all believed what we'd been told, that the Temple members would experience great suffering and distress for having the wrong practice - I like the way this site says it: "To think Buddhism degraded from the philosophical depths of Nagarjuna into something like "U DIE OF CANCER CUZ U DIDNT PRAY TO THE RIGHT GOHONZON!" [ichinensanzen.org]]

Well, it became apparent to me that Soka Spirit had somehow become the insider's club, the "fast track" to SGI-USA leadership - there was this guy, Bob, who somehow ended up as the local Soka Spirit chair. Very shortly after his becoming Soka Spirit chair, he was appointed HQ MD leader in San Diego. Coincidence? I think not!

I'll remember his last name later *wink* - he and his Japanese wife had a daughter who had such severe seizures that they had to have half her brain removed! Where's the "protection of the Mystic Law", again?? She ended up permanently crippled, though "cured" of the debilitating seizures. Anyhow, once he gained the Soka Spirit leadership position, he quickly demonstrated his own authoritarian tendencies. If we on the Soka Spirit committee decided something, he would frequently just reject our decision and impose his own idea or preference. And there would be no discussion - his word was law. Shortly after I realized he had started doing that, I stopped attending the Soka Spirit committee meetings - what was the point, since it was the All-Bob show???

Pryor. Bob Pryor. San Diego. THAT's who it was.

Oh, I'm reminded of a joke: A priest, a rabbi, and an iman walk into a bar. The bartender says, "What's yer poison?" The three answer in unison: "REASON, of course!"

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2014 03:37PM by StillTaitenAndProud.

Posted by: meh ()
Date: January 16, 2014 08:20PM

Thanks for all of that back-story! Having joined in 2006, I missed all of that fun and, of course, it's never spoken of. I guess if you can't rewrite history, you just have to ignore it. I did hear generic anti-Williams whispers a couple of years ago, but since I didn't really have any idea who he was, they were of little significance. Typical sgi tactics, though, to wipe its arse on you until you a viewed as too enfeculated to be of further use other than as a cautionary example. I didn't know he'd passed away until I read it here a day or two ago. Boy, I bet he could have pointed out a few skeletons in the closet.

I avoided the whole soka-spirit thing; it was one of the few issues that bothered me from the start. The members of that particular little sub-group - at least here in the philly area - were some of the people I had the most trouble with; harsh, judgmental, condescending . . . and, once again, in the section of the exam that covered soka spirit, I just pretty much threw in best guesses. I still don't get the point of that yearly ritual; probably just more falsified self-importance. Once they switched over to computer-scored answer sheets it creeped me out even more; what was happening with that data? Nobody knew, but you don't go through the time and expense of setting up computer scoring with no intention in mind.

One thing that's been emphasized over the past few years is that there will not be a prez after senseless, which has never seemed credible to me. An org like sgi sort of requires a central figure to follow like sheep. And, although ick-eda hasn't made one of those dreadful dvd's for krg-consumption for a long time, I never observed much attention being paid to his son. A lot goes over my head, though. I'm not that familiar with Japanese customs, but I would think that whoever would be fat-boy's replacement would have been being brought to the forefront a little more strongly. Once again, though, there will have to be a senseless, otherwise I see sgi dissolving like a pile of dog-crap in the rain.

Nice is overrated
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: January 17, 2014 01:08AM

"One of the things he seems to be stuck on how nice and normal everyone is"

Nice is overrated.

If people smile, smile smile, all the time, what do they do with the difficult emotions?

Normal life has some grit in it, along with its pleasures.

How To Be Successful Cult Leader, By Tré Taylor - Really Weird StuffSubject should easily "Fall In Love" with 1 or more fellow cult participants to ... "
When you meet the friendliest people you have ever known, who introduce you to
www.reallyweirdstuff.com/howtobesuccessfulcultleader.htm - 26k - Cached - Similar pages

Strings Attached - CultEducation.comFormer members of The Charlotte Church say the group is a cult that preys on ...
When you meet the friendliest people you have ever known, who introduce you ...
www.culteducation.com/reference/icc/ICC314.html - 35k - Cached - Similar pages

When people want to recruit or want to cover up stuff they are ashamed of, they use the nice facade.

A cousin of mine was treated like shit by his parents.

Part of his ordeal was that his school friends refused to believe it, because when he invited them to his place, his parents turned on the charm.

Most human beings take people at face value.

Am going to tell you too that my mom's best friend's daughter is charming, nice, etc.

Mom's best friend was also a delight. Gave the best parties in the world, friends loved her, I adored her -- all the more so because my mother had been rough with me.

So this lady became my surrogate mother after Mom died. Spent 17 Thanksgivings with 'X' and under her tutelage, found out I loved to cook.

When X died, I helped her daughter (now married with kids) with Thankgiving at her house.

It was a horror show. Behind all this niceness I discovered the daughter had married this guy with money. In effect, he was her oldest child. He didnt pick up after himself. Slept all the time. He blocked any attempt on her part to discipline the kids, so the two boys were out of control - a pair of little shits.

I nearly fainted when I heard this woman ask her husband's permission to eat crunchy breakfast cereal. I thought this was a hideous joke.

No. With a sudden look of shame, realizing I was there as an audience, she said the noise of her chewing the cereal might irritate her husband.

I was so shocked I blanked the incident from my mind went into dissociative amnesia for the next four hours. I was in a blinding rage and didnt know why.

Only when back in my home town on the airporter bus did I suddenly recall the incident.

Next year, thinking I'd been too harsh, I went back again to help her out with Turkey day.

It was worse.

This time I had dissociative amnesia for 24 hours.

Never went back again. Some years later, the oldest boy reacted by getting into drugs, and was shipped away for 2 years to a lock down youth facility.

Fuck nice. A world of horror can be hidden behind nice.

Date: January 17, 2014 02:13AM

Wow. That's horrid! Do you have these dissociative events often? Is that a "normal" thing for you? Sometimes I wish *I* could have them! But I remember...

I'm glad you had a decent mother figure. So it's not working out with her daughter, but it sounds like she's being punished enough. Hell, my sister married money and turned into a complete turd, so even the blood relationship is no guarantee of any level of decency. Do you know, back when my husband was on a student stipend getting his PhD and we had an infant son and were poor as churchmice, my sister sent me one of the only gifts she's ever sent (despite being richer than God). Do you know what the gift was?

Expired formula coupons! Oh, and lest you say, "I'm sure she didn't realize they were expired - she was obviously just so busy!" or something, she included a note that read, "I realize these are expired, but maybe the store will take them anyway - it couldn't hurt to try."

STRAIGHT into the trash!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.