Re: Soka Gakkai International -- SGI
Posted by: Bach1122 ()
Date: September 04, 2013 04:41AM

Are there any folks active on this thread at this time who have rejected the SGI but are still practising Nichiren Buddhism?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: meh ()
Date: September 04, 2013 06:32AM

Fortunately, X's daughter actually is making friends outside of sgi; when she was living at home, while she wasn't actively discouraged from doing that, she just didn't have time to outside of school. She moved from Washington state to Hawaii, so her lifestyle is radically different - much more open and free.

Paula Poundstone had an interesting anecdote about returning to a bad relationship. Say you live on your own, and if you want to go take a slug out of the milk carton you're free to do so at any time. So you go take a big ol' swig and the milk has gone bad. Are you going to put it back on the refrigerator shelf so you can go back later hoping it's gotten better?

I can't even begin to imagine sitting in a meeting again and listening to all that drivel. Chickenshit is right. My butt clenches just to think about it.

Date: September 04, 2013 11:13AM

Bach, look back through the thread for Nichijew. I believe he has an independent website - it's a lot of fun and good information.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: September 05, 2013 02:13AM

Dunno if this is new info or not.

[alt.religion.buddhism.nichiren.narkive.com]

alt religion buddhism nichiren

More Horror Stories
2 months ago

This is regarding the FBI indictment of SGI star Walter L. Williams on charges including having sex with children. Brownworth notes that "both the FBI and the Los Angeles Police Department have described Williams as a serial predator."
According to his CV, Williams advised global, multibillion-dollar Buddhist group Soka Gakkai International on human rights issues for a traveling exhibit. Williams was given the SGI-sponsored Gandhi King Ikeda Award in 2006.

Williams's decades-long membership in SGI was not mentioned. According to Brownworth: Williams and [Richard] Arlington were both members of a small group called the Buddhist Universal Association of Los Angeles, which, FBI spokeswoman Eimiller said espoused an ideology of "extreme sexual freedoms."
In addition to being a member of a fringe cult, Williams has been deeply involved in the largest Buddhist organization in the world, which he joined in 1986. In an essay explaining why he wrote the book The Teachings of Jesus, Williams mentions:

"...In 1987, when I won a Fulbright Scholar Award from the Council for the International Exchange of Scholars. The Council sent me to do research in Indonesia. Once I arrived there, the Soka Gakkai put me in touch with their organization's branch in Indonesia, and they provided me with many beneficial contacts." If, as the FBI alleges, Williams used his research as a pretext to meet and have sex with boys, the possibility that Soka Gakkai might have put him in contact with any of those boys is chilling.

2 months ago

In addition....

Walter L. Williams, was a former USC professor and influential Soka Gakkai member, who was arrested in Mexico according to news reports. Williams was wanted by the FBI for sexual exploitation of children, among other charges.
Williams is a prominent member of SGI-USA. According to an essay he wrote about his faith, he joined Soka Gakkai in 1986. According to the Los Angeles Times, Williams kicked off Soka University's spring human rights lecture series on February 27, 1996 with a talk on same-sex marriage.

Williams received the Gandhi King Ikeda Award in 2006. In his prepared remarks, Williams cited the influence of SGI President Daisaku Ikeda:

"...Under Ikeda's influence my focus now is on the positive. I try to minimize the lower life conditions in my life, like greed, anger and stupidity, and try to maximize the higher life conditions by promoting learning, creativity, and compassion. It is only by this process, Ikeda says, that a person can achieve fulfillment in life."

2 months ago

Post by
In addition....

Walter L. Williams, was a former USC professor and influential Soka Gakkai member, who was arrested in Mexico according to news reports. Williams was wanted by the FBI for sexual exploitation of children, among other charges.
Williams is a prominent member of SGI-USA. According to an essay he wrote about his faith, he joined Soka Gakkai in 1986. According to the Los Angeles Times, Williams kicked off Soka University's spring human rights lecture series on February 27, 1996 with a talk on same-sex marriage.
"...Under Ikeda's influence my focus now is on the positive. I try to minimize the lower life conditions in my life, like greed, anger and stupidity, and try to maximize the higher life conditions by promoting learning, creativity, and compassion. It is only by this process, Ikeda says, that a person can achieve fulfillment in life."
http://www.morehouse.edu/about/chapel/peace_exhibit/index.html

Interesting link too!

Here is a search of this site (all dates) for all of nichijew's posts

[forum.culteducation.com]

Ran a search te and got this

[www.google.com]

Date: September 05, 2013 06:38AM

In all fairness, sexual predators are everywhere and will typically jockey themselves into a position where they can meet the maximum number of potential victims; it's only surprising that this is the first incident of such abuse that I've heard of. Like any org looking to protect itself, sgi has probably hushed up any number of occurrences. I doubt if there's any organization where children are involved that doesn't draw this kind of vermin. It would be nice if sgi could be held liable in some way, but unless someone can clearly prove that sgi knew what this jerk-wad was up to and continued to allow him to hang out with kids, I don't think there's much that can be done.

Date: September 06, 2013 03:55AM

I guess the only thing that surprises me about the SGI's resident pedophile/sexual predator is that the SGI typically has so few programs for children! I would expect it more in a group such as Boy Scouts, who routinely separate the kids from their parents, and the Catholic Church, which does likewise and runs its own schools and daycares. But my experience in the SGI is that the adults want *nothing* to do with the children! As attitudes go, it's really a stupid one, if we presume that a priority is keeping the darn org going.

Date: September 06, 2013 07:11AM

STaP, I think that's really dependent upon where you practice. I've never practiced anywhere where kids were welcomed; in ABQ, they even had a room set aside for younger kids to play during krg and they were supervised by high-school or jr school aged kids. Depending on the population of the community, they have activities for Future Members, ESD, jr high-high school; the age ranges go from pre-school and up. It's actually kind of irritated me during some meetings, both at the community center and in peoples' homes how the little ones were allowed to run wild - I wouldn't have dared say anything about the little darlings. I don't mean to sound all grinchy, but the kids in the org are almost universally indulged, spoiled and ill-behaved . . . they're future leaders, after all . . . let's not inhibit the dears.

Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: September 07, 2013 03:59AM

Retrieving posts from Internet Archive and Google/Bing cache

That shows how to get the threads back, if they are stored on Google. Post that link around the forum, in case people want to get their thread back.

For this thread, for example, you paste this into the Google search. Remember to press the little CACHED arrow, which is beside the link to access the old thread.

Soka Gakkai International page=315 site:forum.culteducation.com

Soka Gakkai International page=385 site:forum.culteducation.com

Soka Gakkai International page=440 site:forum.culteducation.com

Just change the keywords or page numbers.
All of those cached threads can be deleted at any moment.

Date: September 12, 2013 01:24AM

Just to follow up a bit, it does seem that most of the pages from the SGI thread are still in the Google cache, as well as the Bing cache.
For example, the thread on Desteni seems to be saved now, using the Google and Bing cache.

If you search for this phrase in Google or Bing, many threads come up. The second link is page 300, if you press the CACHE button next to the link, which is from May 2011.

Soka Gakkai International page=300 site:forum.culteducation.com

If you change the page=600 to the search you also find up to page 603 in the cache link which goes to April 2013.

Soka Gakkai International page=600 site:forum.culteducation.com

So those phrases can be put into Google and Bing to try and find all of the pages.
Of course, finding each page in order might not always be so easy, but you can alter the keywords to try and find them. But using the "page=600", or whatever page you are looking for seems to work to find the page.

Then the pages can be copied, and pasted into the other new thread just created for reference.

Soka Gakkai International - trying to save SGI Lost pages

Of course, all of that takes lots of work, but perhaps some will be able to do that.

And of course, any of those pages in the Google or Bing cache can disappear forever at any moment, and once there are deleted they are gone forever.

As well as mentioned, the Internet Archive has threads saved, and one would assume other search engines might have caches as well.

Date: September 12, 2013 01:53AM

Also if the page doesn't come up on Google, try the Bing.com cache.

For Bing just delete the "site:" part, so it would be as below, just searching the keywords.

Soka Gakkai international page=327 forum.culteducation.com

There is probably a way to find each exact page, and use the page number sometimes works on Google.

Soka Gakkai international page=327 site:forum.culteducation.com

But sometimes it doesn't work, as its just searching those words and numbers. So sometimes the correct page comes up, sometimes it doesn't, and just by clicking other links it might come up.
Or trying alternate searches, perhaps like..

page=327 Soka Gakkai site:forum.culteducation.com
page=327 SGI site:forum.culteducation.com

Or search the date keywords for that page, as you can see by the previous page

soka gakkai November 2011 site:forum.culteducation.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.