Re: Former SGI members
Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: March 07, 2010 11:21PM

Dear FMWT;

You will only ever get encouragement from me. I treat literally, hundreds of depressed patients every month, not as their psychiatrist but as the Primary Care Physician and when I was 19 - 23 I suffered from intermittent depression and then again, when I was 26 and 28, I suffered from two bipolar episodes lasting several weeks. Since that time, I have had no mental health issues, although my wife of twenty years might disagree. The SGI also disagrees, calling me "insane" on a nearly daily basis.

Let me tell you about Namu Myoho renge kyo which is translated as, "The Sublime or Wonderful Dharma of the Lotus Flower Sutra". It is the finest diamond tipped scalpel for excising delusion. Yet, this very same scalpel, in the hands of the faithless, unwise, malevolent, or selfish, can be used to create delusion and ultimately, misery. Similarly, a scalpel in the hands of skilled neurosurgeon can remove a highly malignant brain tumor while in the hands of a desperate prisoner, it can be used to cut his cellmate's throat. Nichiren teaches that the Daimoku is like gold. It is the same gold in the hands of a fool as in the hands of a wiseman. Yet of course, Nichiren never advocated one to be foolish. The SGI has taken the diamond scalpel and pure gold of the Lotus Sutra, creating misery and squandering the true benefits of the Sublime Dharma.

Nichiren also teaches, do not give up your gold just because the bag is dirty. We who have thrown away the dirty bag of the Soka Gakkai and who have retained the gold of the Lotus Sutra, are joyful and at peace. May you too find joy and peace.

buku

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2010 11:24PM by Nichijew.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: March 08, 2010 12:01AM

Findingmywaytoday
I have to say that when I chanted and practiced with the SGI, I felt energized, but in the back of my mind, I was also paranoid. I would read about these really drastic things happening to people in the World Tribune. I know drastic things can happen to people all the time, but there was just something about participating in the organization that made me feel that way. No matter how hard I tried, peace of mind wasn't something that I attained while in the SGI.

Well if you look at it close enough SGI, like many other cults or faiths, is built on fear. Fear of some sort of retribution for not following the SGI --- actually quite irrational.

Posted by: DavidM ()
Date: March 08, 2010 09:00PM

lthomas
hello all. it's been awhile since I've responded, yet I have been keeping up with everyone's post and find them very insightful. I don't know if this is an indirect or direct path as a result of being in the SGI, but I've had a very depressive episode this past week and now realize that I may need to seek more than counseling when it comes to my mental well-being.

I'd like to use a quote from tsukimoto in which I think has resonated with my experiences as far as being a member of SGI it is: "I think that for some people chanting becomes a band-aid -- taking the edge off of the person's discomfort just enough that he or she is not uncomfortable enough to seek real help for the anxiety".

Chanting for me was definitely a band aid, whenever I would get anxious I would chant but the issue would remain the same time and time again. It was soothing for awhile to take deep and slow breaths after a half hour, yet I never took 5 minutes to address what was bothering me because it was so painful. Now as a result of not having the organization around the band aid is gone and I feel totally lost but not confused, as I am sure that I have made the right decision.

I'm still running into members left and right in the area in which I live. Sometimes on a daily basis. For the most part, the members have been very supportive, however, the district leader sent me a very condescending email when I told her I was leaving. She has since apologized, and for the first time I actually felt a sense of sadness because this time it actually felt official.

I knew this moment was coming but I did not realize how intense it would be. I swear I've been to the edge, yet I haven't fallen off of the cliff. Please continue to support me virtually and to keep me in your prayers-for those of you who still pray, and well wishes for those of you who maybe don't.

Sincerley
lthomas

I can definitely identify with what your saying about 'the band aid helping for a short time'. Once it comes off you have no option but to deal with the cut beneath. I think its similar to that analogy actually. If you do get a cut on your skin, you don't want to look at it, its tempting to look away and just 'hope' it will be ok. But only once you look directly at it can you see what you need to do to heal it.

I'm sorry I can't be more help. I know others on this forum have had more similar experience to yours, I hope they can help you more. And I really hope your doctor and counselor can help.

SGI is a nightmare, but you can wake up from it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2010 09:16PM by DavidM.

Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: March 10, 2010 05:38AM

Dear lthomas,

I am no therapist, but also do not bring up the issue when you happen to meet sgi-members (what area is taht where you live with such a high sgi-density). and if they ask do decide for yourself if you want to talk about the matter.

in the end there is absolutely NO NEED to defend your decission to anyone okay ?! and start thinking about what you can do with tiem you have gained now.

i will try to expand on this in a few days :-)

you are not alone remeber !!!!

Posted by: Awaken7 ()
Date: March 13, 2010 05:53AM

Findingmywaytoday
Thank you to everyone else for their support and interesting posts.

The idea of the 6 beat chant being calming to the body is interesting. I feel it is brainwashing on the SGI's part to say why people feel so good is because of the SGI. I have tried other forms of spirituality where chanting takes place and feel it has an effect as well. I appreciate reading everyone's contribution on this very much.

I believe praying itself, and chanting can be very useful and it doesn't have to be Nam Myoho Renge Kyo. I feel angry that the SGI also lead me to believe that my happy feelings were because of the SGI.

I consider myself spiritual, and feel some resentment to the SGI as well because there is only room in their eyes for just one religious practice.

It's the way they use to manipulate people into joining and staying with SGI. And don't ever believe it from anybody when they say, "We have the only truth, we have the only method that works.
That's why I like it when I get a self-help book and it says something like: "Go and try it and see if it works for you, and if it doesn't work, find more books, more information until you find something that is for you!"
I believe chanting can makes us feel better because it takes our mind away from the constant chattering in our thoughts, but so does meditation, yoga, going for a walk, daydreaming, etc. We just have to find what makes sense for us individually. We need to stay away from any kind of manipulation or brainwashing, because most probably they are looking for their own benefit and not ours!
This is one of my favorite quotes and interestingly enough is from Buddha:
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who had said it, not even if I had said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
I'm so thankful to all of you because thanks to these posts I opened my eyes to what SGI is really about!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2010 06:00AM by Awaken7.

Posted by: quiet one ()
Date: March 14, 2010 01:43PM

I was home-visited the other night. I was visited by three women. I was all prepared to tell them what I thought of SGI. But they just chatted about what was going on socially within our area. After about an hour, they were about to leave, but one of them went to say hello to my husband, who was watching TV in another room. He came out, and he talked a lot about why we had left and what he thought of SGI, and how much better his life was without SGI. It was like he was a chapter leader again and was giving guidance to them! Then one of the women who had come to visit me started to admit that she agreed somewhat with him, and how horrible she had thought NSA was when she joined. She thought it was a communist organization (which she had fled from in her native country). I doubt if she would quit, though, because of the SGI-social network that is too much a part of her life. And another of these women looked uncomfortable. I think she secretly agreed too!

How many loyal members of SGI would like to quit but feel trapped?

Posted by: debonaire ()
Date: March 14, 2010 02:11PM

Hi There,
Thanks to everyone for their very insightful posts on SGI. I have learnt so much from reading many of the posts.
I have an issue that is concerning me, regarding SGI. I will give you an abridged background.
My friend started practicing through SGI about 2 years ago. They are heavily involved. Chants twice a day. Goes to various meeting each week. Has hosted mass events, organised conferences of some sort, given their testimonies in front of many people at the local SGI community centre. They are also a leader for young people in their region. It didn't take me long to realise that SGI was cult-like. The constant chanting worried me. It started to scare me, to be honest.
My friend has become self-centred and now only has time for their SGI associates. They are friends with me, when it's convenient for them. I have noticed that my friend is extremely charismatic and in a very covert way, influences people to come to meetings and to support them. Quite a few of my friends have fallen prey. I must admit that I did too for a short while. They encouraged me to go to their local meetings whilst I was feeling depressed and vulnerable. Sure, the people involved in SGI are very friendly...but there has to be some alterior motive. I have become friends with a few of them and I find the way that they communicate to be so contrived, with all their too-good to be true 'lingo'. Their 'worship' of Ikeda is a concern. I find it hard to understand how they can claim that they are authentic buddhists. Anyway, that's the background of my issue.
I was trying to work out why my friend behaves the way they do. I couldn't pin-point it. Nevertheless, I was starting to become very concerned about his behaviour and how it was affecting our friendship and those of our mutual friends...who are slowly taking an interest in SGI. So, I don't know how I can communicate this to my friend, without them becoming so defensive. I know that my friend is brainwashed and has been involved in other cult-like organisations in the past. I wish I could stop my friend from getting hurt, because I feel like our long-term friendship is about to corrode. I feel very aggravated by their behaviour and I worry about them. I would like some tips on how I can cope through this difficult time and whether there is anything I can do to save the friendship. I do not agree with the activities and values instilled within them whilst they are involved in SGI. I don't want to stop my friend from being a member. I feel unhappy to be around people that are members of an organisation that I don't agree with. But, I have a long history with this friend. Any feedback on this issue would be appreciated. Even if you have or are going through a similar situation, it would be great to hear your experiences.

Posted by: Nichijew ()
Date: March 14, 2010 06:15PM

Dear Quietone:

This week, two people from the IRG yahoo reform group [which sprung to life this week], one person on the SGIunofficial yahoo group, and one Kempon Hokke friend, were contacted to set up home visits. Coincidence?

They will no longer come to visit me, even senior leaders, because I am too dangerous to their faith in the Soka Gakkai and Ikeda. I speak their language, have read all of Ikeda's and SGI's latest memos and guidances, know the Lotus Sutra well, and the Gosho very well, and, since leaving the Gakkai, I'm always "lit up" :-)

I, have a little different attitude than most people here. I welcome the Gakkai members and even their top senior leaders to home visit me. They may stay a whole weekend or even a week with us. If you know of anyone who might like to home visit us, let me know. My wife and I are excellent cooks and hosts. If they convert to the Kempon Hokke, I will bestow upon them The Gohonzon for the Transmission of the Law just as soon as they return their Nichikan Gohonzon, or send it to me for respectful disposal. If anyone here needs some SGI detox and rehab, you too are welcome to visit us.

nichijew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2010 06:17PM by Nichijew.

Posted by: quiet one ()
Date: March 14, 2010 11:44PM

Nichijew, sounds like a great invitation! I'm curious about the IRG, which you said has "sprung to life this week". Who is involved? And is their agenda still to "reform" SGI, or what is it now?

debonaire, When I was a devoted member (over 30 years), I did maintain a few friendships with non-members. The best advice I can give is to just let them do their own thing and not to try to stop them or be critical of SGI. I know it is VERY hard to do this. But people I did maintain friendships with were not people that tried to stop me from my connection to SGI, and never said anything negative about SGI. Other former members may have different advice or experiences, but that is how things were for me.

Posted by: tsukimoto ()
Date: March 15, 2010 12:03AM

Nichijew
This week, two people from the IRG yahoo reform group [which sprung to life this week], one person on the SGIunofficial yahoo group, and one Kempon Hokke friend, were contacted to set up home visits. Coincidence?
nichijew

Interesting. When I left SGI, I quarreled with a fairly senior, and popular Women's Division Leader. I think what's happened is that she has said some awful things to the other members about me. Members do not contact me and barely speak to me if they run into me in a public place. It's just a quick, "Hi, how are you?" as they walk past. I doubt that anyone will contact me to set up a home visit, and if they did, I'd say "No, you haven't spoken to me in over three years, why would you want to now?"

Debonaire, as to your friend...if you like him, keep in touch, and just agree to disagree on SGI. Back when I was a member, my nonSGI friends and family just didn't discuss SGI with me. I would have just resisted them if they'd tried to talk me out of being in SGI. At that time, I just didn't want to hear it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.