Current Page: 33 of 748
Re: Former SGI members, Sensei's World, www.forbes.com
Posted by: Rothaus ()
Date: August 12, 2009 12:08AM

Dear Anticult,

Repeating those articles does really help the matter. If the articles you mention are not listed in Rick Ross, why don’t you get them added?
This forum is one of the rare places in the internet, where those who HAVE been members or struggle with SGI can turn to and exchange their experiences and views.
Not second hand information, not from the press, not from tabloids, but tell THEIR story, which may not be as sensational, but to each and every one of us it was part of our lives and REAL. I thought I found a place to talk about those issues, not be bombarded with links that, like it or not, are dubious in character and lack quality of information. By continuously placing in old news articles and allegations you are giving SGI an excellent tool to discredit this forum. Thank you – NOT.
The reply oy Commongirl just showas so why don’t you just give it a try and just listen to people’s testimonials, maybe more would then be encouraged to write to tell their story.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Former SGI members
Posted by: tsukimoto ()
Date: August 12, 2009 08:54AM

I am glad to see these articles included in this forum. The saying, "The personal is political," applies here. Accounts of Ikeda's wealth, ego, and greed provide a background, a perspective to the stories of ordinary members.

I just remember how SGI leaders used to tell us that we had to donate to support the nearest community center 150 miles away. We were so LUCKY to have a community center that close to us! They made it sound as if we would lose our lease and not be able to pay the gas and electric bill if we didn't donate -- when SGI has billions of dollars in assets and real estate! We drove there every few weeks to take our turn cleaning the center. We also met sometimes in a building that belonged to a local organization, not SGI. We members also cleaned that building, and several of us painted the inside one weekend for free -- just for the privilege of using it for meetings a few times a month.

I knew so many SGI members who lived paycheck to paycheck. Some had two low-paying jobs to support their families; some were students trying to pay their way through school. They were led to believe, by Ikeda and his flunkies, that they'd get good fortune from donating to SGI, and working for free for SGI. We were told that we were supporting world peace and providing a way for others to improve their lives. And what were we really doing? Working for free and handing over our hard-earned money to a billionaire. Those of us who asked, "If I donate money, where does it go?" were berated. We were told that we needed to have more faith in Ikeda to spend it as needed for world peace. Well, if he's using the money correctly, why not be open about it? What's he got to hide?

I think it's all relevant -- the members whose community center, which many of them had cleaned, painted and repaired, was simply taken from them by SGI leadership, with no explanation. The young mother who was urged to give her last ten dollars to SGI's fundraising campaign and Ikeda's 250 degrees. My friend who was urged to do more daimoku rather than get treatment for his mental illness, and the teenager who was advised to accept an arranged marriage to a young man she didn't know. The leader who was told that she needed to chant more and do more activities for SGI to change her troubled and unruly kids -- instead of cutting back on SGI activities and actually spending some time with the kids. The Nichiren Shoshu priests not allowing Ikeda to put his bronze image up at the Head Temple, and SGI's insistence that the chief priest Nikken Abe, was egotistical and corrupt. Members who've been shunned or kicked out of SGI for asking questions.....this is ALL Soka Gakkai, and the general public, prospective members, ex-members and current members need to know all of this.

Re: Former SGI members, SGI propaganda as "Rebuttals"
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: August 13, 2009 03:23AM

ok, so its best to just be direct and blunt.
Dealing with cultic issues is very difficult and can be emotional, but using direct language seems to be the healthiest.

First off, if there is a post someone doesn't like, then they don't have to read it. And anyone can post what they think is appropriate to the rules of the forum. People can disagree, and not all think alike. As mentioned, posting an article in a thread is common practice.
There is no disagreement allowed in SGI, especially when it comes to serious issues.
As far back as the 1960's, there were critical articles about how SGI was organized in a military hierarchy, but unfortunately, that article link was not posted, so for now its lost!

but also, there are hundreds of people reading this thread, and they are not all "experts" in SGI. Some may not know anything. And many more will read the thread for years to come, and links disappear or get broken, so posting an article is common practice.
So there isn't a problem. If there is, then the post can be reported and deleted by the Moderator.

So excellent professional articles by Forbes and TIME have great value.
The question was asked, how much is SGI worth? And the question was answered as accurately as possible. But SGI is so secretive, its estimates, but certainly SGI earns over 1 BILLION dollars each year, and is reported to be worth around 100 BILLION. That is incredibly massive.
And just the SGI asset appreciation, could be 5 BILLION a year!! (100 billion x 5%)
So SGI could be earning 6 billion more each year.

Sokka Gakki has tried to censor and suppress many articles about them, so its helpful to have many sources. [www.culteducation.com]

And Sokka Gakki does use the very same strategy of trying to discredit valid criticism of them, by saying they are "sensationalist claims in the Japanese tabloid headlines and press".
That is the SGI Jargon and language patterns.
That is SGI propaganda.
SGI has an entire "Rebuttal" section of their website, using those precise language patterns.
And its interesting that some of those identical language patterns are creeping into this thread, perhaps in some cases unconsciously due to previous programming. If so, that needs to be pointed out.
Also, of course from time to time some SGI folks will want to slip their cloaked "Rebuttals" into this thread, and many others.
So people need to exercise their own critical thinking very carefully.

By the way, the BILLIONS and the MONEY is absolutely essential. Actually its MOST important.
That is one way SGI has gotten so rich, they have figured out the cultic way to get people to work their asses off for NO PAY. Every cult does that.
Unpaid free labor.
SGI would be very worried that basic common sense and facts about a sect that is worth over 100 billion is being openly talked about. That scares the shit out of them, which is why they have banned all criticism of SGI. Its better to talk bluntly about facts that people understand, then only abstract Buddhist theology.
So lets be be blunt?
Where the hell are all those SGI billions? Who is controlling them, and for what purpose?

And the same time SGI was crying poverty and making people work for free, Ikeda had gold-plated bathroom fixtures.
[www.culthelp.info]
"When Ikeda came to America in 1990, I was ordered by a top Women's Division leader to clean the bathroom in the Ikeda house. I have entered the Ikeda house just that once, but I clearly remember that the bathroom was luxurious. The door and faucets did not have knobs. They had the expensive handle types. Furthermore, they were all gold plated."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2009 03:33AM by The Anticult.

Re: Former SGI members, SGI propaganda as "Rebuttals"
Date: August 13, 2009 03:45AM

also, direct, blunt, everday language is needed to cut through the SGI cultic Jargon, and cultic Newspeak.
SGI has a propaganda answer for everything, and its all very carefully written, and posted all over the place.
Its time to cut the bullshit.
Where's the money?
Where's the billions?

In the west, a person can criticize SGI, and they will just kick them out, and fire them.
But how about Japan? If a senior person in SGI knew some secrets, and was going to speak out, what do you think would happen to them?
All the signs are there that SGI at that level, makes the Scientology "fair game" doctrine look like childsplay. At that higher level, its a very dangerous sect.

But the average SGI member in the west, lets face it, to use a metaphor from chess, they are pawns in the larger strategy and game. They are a profit-center, and an unpaid labor force for SGI.
They are completely controlled from the top-down, and if they speak-up, they just kick them out if they can't silence them.

Frankly, all of the talk about various Buddhist doctrine and philosophy, is only a tiny part of the larger picture. Ikeda uses religion the way many savvy politicians use religion, as a way to manipulate the public.

AGI, Beware Soka Cult Recruiting Tactics
Date: August 13, 2009 04:09AM

also, as reference and an example for the general reader...
...here is an excellent and obviously honest layman's description of a very intense SGI attempt at cultic recruiting.

First, they use DECEPTION, telling him they are going for a night out, which then turns into a cultic indoctrination at the SGI center.
Then, they SURROUNDED this guy in a sealed room for 6 hours, while the SGI people tried to indoctrinate him, to the point of exhaustion.
This is all very carefully planned, deliberate cultic indocrination by SGI. How many dozens of techniques were they using on this person, for 6 hours?

The public needs to be vigorously warned about this, as many people will break down under those kind of extreme indocrination tactics.
And they target people who are "too nice" on purpose.
Also, notice the harrassment of people who try to leave SGI, that can go on for years.

SGI is a dangerous sect. That is reality. And people need to be warned beforehand.

________QUOTE for reference_________________
[www.fraughtwithperil.com]
Beware Soka Cult Recruiting Tactics
"Three years ago, I was nearly forced to join Soka Gakkai by one of my friends. Soka Gakkai is a very fast-growing kind of Buddhism, holding its organization in more than 190 countries and having about 12 million believers worldwide.

When I asked my religious friend about Soka Gakkai, he reacted politely. He took me to Soka Gakkai headquarters, Soka University, a Soka professor’s house, etc. Even though these experiences were quite interesting for me, my interest in Soka Gakkai didn’t mean my interest in joining Soka Gakkai.

However, I was targeted by Soka Gakkai without my knowledge.

My friend came to see me with two of his Soka Gakkai friends a few weeks later. I thought we were going to have a fun night out together, but instead they took me to a branch of Soka Gakkai. Although we had small talk at the beginning, the conversation shifted to Soka Gakkai.

Surrounded in a sealed room, the Soka Gakkai members and I talked about why they became members, why their religion is awesome and why I should join them. The encounter lasted from 5 p.m. until 11 p.m. and made me physically and mentally exhausted. Even though they didn’t persuade me, I found Soka Gakkai’s recruiting methods extremely aggressive."

Posted by markrogow at April 18, 2009 05:48 PM

Comments
I left SGI for an year, I felt very lucky & wise i make such a decision! As am definately knowing SGI is CULT!!!!! Long story i can tell which happened to me in Hong Kong & Korea SGI>

[www.fraughtwithperil.com]
April 18, 2009
Another bad SGI experience
"I just wanted to post here and see if anyone else had any bad experiences with the Soka Gakkai International?

I have been practically terrorized by some local members of the SGI. I absolutely love Nichiren Buddhism, though it is not my primary faith. I love to chant and meditate. But what happened to me was that some people took it upon themselves to 'shaku-buku' me until I couldn't stand them anymore. They come over to my house without calling, they call me all the time when they don't visit, it's become an issue. And I'm so polite that I cannot seem to say anything.

Is there anything you guys would recommend? I regret getting involved with the SGI itself. Now they won't leave me alone! I'd like to chant in peace."

Posted by markrogow at April 18, 2009 06:46 PM

Comments
I can understand your feelings. This also happened to me previously. to me, am 200% trust the law but SGI members really make me mad! Even i want to quit the organization, they keep on calling me and having meeting with me for almost 3 hrs keeps on asking "WHY" and threaten me that I can get on bad luck if i determine to do so. Well... but at last i did it! Please try your own feeling and take a right action! GOOD LUCK!

Posted by: CoCo Kim at May 10, 2009 09:11 AM

Beware Soka Cult Recruiting Tactics, SGI Controversies Explored
Date: August 13, 2009 04:31AM

SGI even has a comprehensive english propaganda website called Soka Gakkai Controversies Explored, which they call an "analysis of factors behind negative media coverage".
They also try to embrace the "controversy".

That propaganda website looks like something designed by Landmark Education.
If anyone wants to see the SGI media propaganda strategy, all they have to do is read part of that website.
But beware, they are very clever people, and have hired clever people, and they know how to frame and pre-frame information, to SGI's own advantage.
Notice their intent to try and tell you what the "factors behind" the negative media are.
That is called REFRAMING. [www.changeminds.org]
QUOTE: "Description: A frame, or 'frame of reference' is a complex schema of unquestioned beliefs, values and so on that we use when inferring meaning. If any part of that frame is changed (hence 'reframing'), then the meaning that is inferred may change."

As they try to label and reframe the Japanese media as "tabloid", and have their own version of "history" on the site. George Orwell knew all about that, rewriting history.

They have "media rebuttals" and "allegations disproved", and they even have the threat at the bottom of how a "Tabloid Journalist" was "Found Liable for Defaming Soka Gakkai".

That is a threat.

Re: Beware Soka Cult Recruiting Tactics, SGI Controversies Explored
Date: August 13, 2009 05:07AM

another thing about SGI that is utterly mind-boggling, is that SGI could be getting 5-10 billion dollars richer every year, depending on economic conditions. (5-10% asset appreciation).

And this is all TAX-FREE wealth, so it grows quicker than any mere corporation.
And unlike the USA, in Japan, these tax-free religions can get involved in politics and pretty much anything they want.

So every year SGI could get 5%-10% richer and more powerful, and this is compounding interest.
So SGI could be way over 120 billion by now.

So even when Ikeda dies, that will have no impact on SGI. They will just continue to represent him as The Eternal Prophet, and whoever takes over will be Ikeda Version 2.0.

Its amazing that SGI is not yet widely known as probably the worlds wealthiest and more powerful cultish group and sect.

Hopefully, Japan will figure out how to curb these sects, the financial loopholes are outrageous, and have lead to terrible abuses of power.

Posted by: wakatta ()
Date: August 17, 2009 03:44AM

tsukimoto
I have seen SGI change course many times since the 1980's, depending on what the leadership in Japan decided:

--1970's-80's: Huge national conventions, and just all this "rah rah rah" enthusiasm. We're just so excited to practice this Buddhism! SGI activities every night of the week. That got toned down dramatically in the late eighties, early nineties...and then slowly, activities and meetings increased again.

--We were told, in the eighties, to respect and honor the Nichiren Shoshu priests. Then in the nineties, they became the enemy and we were supposed to fight them. And appparently, there were a lot of difficulties between the SGI senior leadership and the priesthood even as far back as the seventies. This was kept from the members, at least the American members.

--We studied Buddhism a lot in the eighties, and serious study of Buddhism seems to have all but disappeared from SGI now.

--SGI focused an enormous amount of attention on their vendetta with the Nichiren Shoshu priesthood in the 1990's. While SGI still hates the priesthood, they seem now to be more focused on "disloyal members," "enemies within the organization," and the Code of Conduct. [\quote]

Personally, I think the downfall started with the temple breach. The very core of NSA/SGI was impatiently cast aside in favor of expedience. Those of us who had been with NSA back when it was Sokagakkai USA were fed a nonstop diet of the legitimacy of the temple, the importance of the Sho Hondo to Kosen Rufu, and how the head priests all had passed on the Kechimyaku from Nichiren. While there had been various whisperings about Nikko's original legitimacy, the gakkai always stressed (to us) that it was our duty as lay believers in true buddhism to trust in the Daishonin's wisdom.

Years later I look back and realize that essentially there was a BIG SECRET that was being kept and as it grew behind closed doors, eventually it erupted, and the losers in the process were the many hundreds of thousands of SGI/NSA members who faithfully contributed, gave their zaimu, read the propaganda newspaper, formed human pyramids for the entertainment of the "Senior Leaders" and the "Master" (shudder - why do I get a picture of the star-wars dark lord...)

And at the core of the whole thing is just greed and deception. Such a pity, and thankfully I am out of the whole thing with my integrity intact.

Wakatta

Posted by: wakatta ()
Date: August 17, 2009 05:55AM

tsukimoto
I am glad to see these articles included in this forum. The saying, "The personal is political," applies here. Accounts of Ikeda's wealth, ego, and greed provide a background, a perspective to the stories of ordinary members.

I just remember how SGI leaders used to tell us that we had to donate to support the nearest community center 150 miles away. We were so LUCKY to have a community center that close to us! They made it sound as if we would lose our lease and not be able to pay the gas and electric bill if we didn't donate -- when SGI has billions of dollars in assets and real estate! We drove there every few weeks to take our turn cleaning the center. We also met sometimes in a building that belonged to a local organization, not SGI. We members also cleaned that building, and several of us painted the inside one weekend for free -- just for the privilege of using it for meetings a few times a month.

I knew so many SGI members who lived paycheck to paycheck. Some had two low-paying jobs to support their families; some were students trying to pay their way through school. They were led to believe, by Ikeda and his flunkies, that they'd get good fortune from donating to SGI, and working for free for SGI. We were told that we were supporting world peace and providing a way for others to improve their lives. And what were we really doing? Working for free and handing over our hard-earned money to a billionaire. Those of us who asked, "If I donate money, where does it go?" were berated. We were told that we needed to have more faith in Ikeda to spend it as needed for world peace. Well, if he's using the money correctly, why not be open about it? What's he got to hide?

I think it's all relevant -- the members whose community center, which many of them had cleaned, painted and repaired, was simply taken from them by SGI leadership, with no explanation. The young mother who was urged to give her last ten dollars to SGI's fundraising campaign and Ikeda's 250 degrees. My friend who was urged to do more daimoku rather than get treatment for his mental illness, and the teenager who was advised to accept an arranged marriage to a young man she didn't know. The leader who was told that she needed to chant more and do more activities for SGI to change her troubled and unruly kids -- instead of cutting back on SGI activities and actually spending some time with the kids. The Nichiren Shoshu priests not allowing Ikeda to put his bronze image up at the Head Temple, and SGI's insistence that the chief priest Nikken Abe, was egotistical and corrupt. Members who've been shunned or kicked out of SGI for asking questions.....this is ALL Soka Gakkai, and the general public, prospective members, ex-members and current members need to know all of this.

Tsukimoto - were you in Chicago? Your description here brings back memories of the old Foster Ave. (?) Chicago Kaikan in the 70's.

The members sorely complained about the lack of parking on the street (and I'm sure the people in the area did too) and things were growing so quickly that there was little space for meetings - something had to be done. After a big fundraiser in which people were squeezed mercilessly for their money, NSA ended up buying an old mansion in the old town area that was a run down wreck! Added to this the parking was 100% worse. There were a few reserved spots up close that were held for the HOMBU and the rest of us could go pound sand. Lots of annoyed members demanding to know where the money went and where all of the years zaimu and other dollars disappeared to. That is when the senior leadership started saying "It is none of your business where the money is going. Once you give it it becomes property of NSA and SGI". And then they would throw in "If you had the right attitude you wouldn't be compalining. You need a lot more Daimoku to win your Human Revolution". By the way, that community center was in a pretty disreputable part of town and members had to park far from the center and walk (sometimes late at night) to and from their cars. It always seemed to me to have been the effect of a lot of thoughtless decisions from on-high.

I shudder to think how many thousands of hours were donated to paint and fix up the derilect building. It wasn't much larger than the previous Kaikan, but it was explained to the members that it was a "mission" that was given to Chicago to help it accomplish it's ningen kakumei (Human Revolution). After that, fewer and fewer people went to the kaikan for a long time, and I recall a lot of bitter feelings. Especially for the folks from the outlying suburbs since they could only visit the community center infrequently and it was almost impossible to get into it.

No matter how you spin it, SGI has always had problems with handling other people's money in an open and honest way.

Wakatta (... wakatta <sigh>!)

Posted by: tsukimoto ()
Date: August 19, 2009 03:35AM

Sorry, I meant to edit this message and I quoted it instead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2009 03:45AM by tsukimoto.

Current Page: 33 of 748

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.