Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: August 19, 2019 03:42AM

larry bobo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jesus’ teachings are just not that complicated that it takes a fake PhD to
> interpret them.

A fake PhD to understand Jesus' teachings--ha.

> John’s teaching was mostly fantasy that bred dysfunction and a bizarre form
> of "spirituality". The only ones that benefited were the wolves looking to
> fleece the sheep.

True

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kBOY ()
Date: August 19, 2019 03:51AM

A A R D V A R K :

You are in the same place we all were (or still are)--the twilight zone of switching out parts (if not all) of our former paradigm, without knowing what to replace them with. This will cause you to stretch your spiritual legs as never before.

This experience alone is evidence of how wholly unprepared we were for the 'real world' after spending our TLW years in perpetual dependency. Where we should have walked out confident in our relationship with the Divine, we suffered the indignity of feeling like were are suddenly abandoned.

This was just another one of the great disservices dispensed in the name of the 'upward flow'.

Date: August 19, 2019 03:52AM

kBOY Wrote:

> As has been mentioned previously, one of the most egregious offenses
> perpetrated by TLW was to shift our focus away from our own personal
> relationship with our CREATOR, and onto someone else's personal
> relationship (JRS, G&M), which ironically stood in contrast to the basic
> premises of The Walk itself.

Yes

Posted by: Onion ()
Date: August 19, 2019 04:14AM

Aardvark - I took no offense at your comments about my credibility but thank you for the apology. I hope you have an opportunity to read earlier posts on this Forum. Valuable insights from many of us who had direct experiences and first hand knowledge like Reepicheep, Onion (me ;-), Changedagain, KByrne, Puddington, Kboy, Bobo, and MANY more.

I mentioned that for 9 years I "flew under the radar" in the walk church. After the long periods of time so many of us spent in the church, it is terrifying to face the consequences of leaving especially since (at least for me) almost all relationships had come thru the church. The last service I attended was in 2007 when the worship service at Shiloh was (at her request) to honor my mom after her death and was supposed to (again at her request) blow the roof off. My mom loved the worship above all else. But the worship was so dead that I was deeply embarrassed to have family there who had never experienced the worship my mom loved. I knew then that it was over for me.

I have learned so much since then about how the services were changed to become something that had no resemblance to what drew us in originally. It seemed like certain people (Rick Holbrook especially but always with complete support of G&M and so many) were out to destroy the Holy Spirit. Everything was planned ahead to meet some agenda and it wouldn't have surprised me if programs with the plans for each service were handed out like they did in the denominations I attended as a child.

It took until 2014 for me to move away and cut myself off (pretty much) from the churches and so many people I loved very deeply, many of whom are members of my blood family. And it took until early 2018 for me to post on the Forum.

It can be a gradual process. I did a lot of research and reading during my process. I felt so completely alone. This Forum gave me hope. I hope it does the same for you. I just started therapy this month and I am looking forward to finding and rooting out harmful conditioning from the church. Most important I've learned and suggest to you: Be kind to yourself.

Date: August 19, 2019 04:25AM

kBOY Wrote:

> This experience alone is evidence of how wholly
> unprepared we were for the 'real world' after
> spending our TLW years in perpetual dependency.

So many people have posted in the forum about how difficult it was to make even simple decisions in their life after leaving TLWF. It would be described as a type of paralysis, based (in part) of the fear of making a mistake. "Perpetual dependency" was promoted from within the shepherding system, in spite of the occasional teaching that indicated otherwise, and the conditioning was not easy to shake.
When I left in '98 I faced an unhealthy dose of that fear. But I eventually found that greater than the fear was the deep sense of release that came with tasting real freedom--and not always spending my time trying to please overlords. Decision-making became easier, less traumatizing. I began enjoying aspects of life that I didn't before...not fretting about every little thing.
I haven't had a single day of regret.

"The worst day of freedom is better than the best day in a cult."
-somebody on the internet

Posted by: puddington ()
Date: August 19, 2019 05:00AM

Aardvark, since you seem to still favor the teachings of JRS, you might try visiting Bill Grier’s church in Delta Junction, Alaska. I am serious. You might like it.

Date: August 19, 2019 05:01AM

puddington Wrote:
> Aardvark, since you seem to still favor the
> teachings of JRS, you might try visiting Bill
> Grier’s church in Delta Junction, Alaska. I am
> serious. You might like it.

I've heard good things about it.

Date: August 19, 2019 05:03AM

Posted by: Onion
Date: August 18, 2019 01:14PM

Aardvark - I took no offense at your comments about my credibility but thank you for the apology. I hope you have an opportunity to read earlier posts on this Forum. Valuable insights from many of us who had direct experiences and first hand knowledge like Reepicheep, Onion (me ;-), Changedagain, KByrne, Puddington, Kboy, Bobo, and MANY more.

I mentioned that for 9 years I "flew under the radar" in the walk church. After the long periods of time so many of us spent in the church, it is terrifying to face the consequences of leaving especially since (at least for me) almost all relationships had come thru the church. The last service I attended was in 2007 when the worship service at Shiloh was (at her request) to honor my mom after her death and was supposed to (again at her request) blow the roof off. My mom loved the worship above all else. But the worship was so dead that I was deeply embarrassed to have family there who had never experienced the worship my mom loved. I knew then that it was over for me.

I have learned so much since then about how the services were changed to become something that had no resemblance to what drew us in originally. It seemed like certain people (Rick Holbrook especially but always with complete support of G&M and so many) were out to destroy the Holy Spirit. Everything was planned ahead to meet some agenda and it wouldn't have surprised me if programs with the plans for each service were handed out like they did in the denominations I attended as a child.

It took until 2014 for me to move away and cut myself off (pretty much) from the churches and so many people I loved very deeply, many of whom are members of my blood family. And it took until early 2018 for me to post on the Forum.

It can be a gradual process. I did a lot of research and reading during my process. I felt so completely alone. This Forum gave me hope. I hope it does the same for you. I just started therapy this month and I am looking forward to finding and rooting out harmful conditioning from the church. Most important I've learned and suggest to you: Be kind to yourself.

Posted by: Onion ()
Date: August 19, 2019 06:30AM

Fellas - Please make sure to let Aardvark know you're kidding about Alaska or you'll be numbered in the current accusations of cult recruiters. Oy.

Date: August 19, 2019 07:05AM

Onion Wrote:
> Fellas - Please make sure to let Aardvark know
> you're kidding about Alaska or you'll be numbered
> in the current accusations of cult recruiters.
> Oy.

I'm kidding Aardvark.
Don't follow this advice!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.