Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: October 06, 2023 12:31AM

Posted by: Altar_Kent
Date: February 23, 2004 12:18AM

Is anyone familiar with this movement? It is based in Kalona Iowa at a camp/compound called Shiloh. IT is primarily located in the United states, but also has churches in Brazil and japan. It was founded by John Robert Stevens and first called the walk. Stevens came out of the Latter Rain movement, built quite a congregation, and then died in 1983. The Living word Fellowship is currently being run by Gary and Marilyn Hargrave.

Sorry for taking so long getting back to you, Altar Kent. Waiting 19+ years to respond is not acceptable, even by LW shepherd standards. I should have been listening to the Holy Spirit all these years, who would have reminded me of your post. I finally started listening a few hours ago. Anyway, the movement sounds familiar, and I plan to do some research, and conduct an independent investigation, if necessary.
Hope you're doing well, and don't hesitate to ask any other questions regarding this organization. You can expect a prompt answer this time around (before 2030).
It's a new day!

In Christ's Blood,
-Changedagain

/s

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2023 12:33AM by changedagain.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: October 07, 2023 04:39AM

From January of 2020:

Posted by: Lilith
Date: January 03, 2020 10:49AM

Onion Wrote:
> "CHHP filed an amendment changing the name of
> that corporation to HFM-A Living Word Ministry.
> That gave them the ability to take the money paid
> for the church property into their Hargrave Family
> Ministries account."

Changedagain Wrote:
> I wonder if long-time members of the Anaheim
> church were aware of this, and if it bothered them
> that the proceeds from their church were now in
> direct control (presumably) of Hargrave
> Also, even though TLWF dissolved shortly after the
> allegations of sexual misconduct went public
> (Shalom's letter), was it even a legal entity to
> begin with? If not, was the announcement of its
> dissolution simply to give the impression that
> corrective measures were being taken to end
> abuse--like the commissioning of an 'independent
> investigation,' which is still ongoing
> (apparently).

Yes, aware and yes, bothered. I have also become aware that those that have left and are speaking out are now referred to as Judas and Proverbs 11:9 by those remaining. I am left wondering precisely what they think we hope to gain by speaking out because we are most certainly not gaining financially. If anything those speaking out have lost friends, family and quite literally years of their lives. My suggestion would be for them to turn those pointing fingers right back at themselves because they are harboring criminals and collaborators and they are cowards. And as far as the remaining churches reconstituting I hope that they realize that they are building on a foundation of disease and perversion, a shaky foundation at best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2023 04:42AM by changedagain.

Date: October 09, 2023 08:30AM

Off topic:

I'm in the process of writing a new song which I am convinced will be a big hit. I've decided to share what I've written so far, confident that those who frequent this forum are extremely unlikely to plagiarize other people's work. Anyway, here it is for your enjoyment:

Well, I won't back down
No, I won't back down
You can stand me up at the gates of hell
But I won't back down
No, I'll stand my ground
Won't be turned around
And I'll keep this world from draggin' me down
Gonna stand my ground
And I won't back down

-Changedagain
(author of 'To Be an Original Songwriter')

Note: I actually started singing what I think will be the melody to this song, and the neighbor's dog started howling, which I believe is an unmistakable sign that I'm really on the right track with this one. Very excited.

/s

Date: October 10, 2023 07:46AM

Good summation:

Posted by: that little red flag
Date: March 20, 2019 09:33AM

While we are on the subject, you know what really rankles me?

JRS, Gary, Marilyn, Rick, and others getting away with lying, abuse of clergy, cover-ups, deception, offerings, sexual misconduct, all night prayer, multiple affairs, bad stewardship of funds, breaking up marriages, abandoning children, etc., etc., ad nauseam without any accountability.

Posted by: Reepicheep
Date: March 20, 2019 11:11AM

Absolutely, red flag! I was momentarily distracted by terminology when there are much more important issues to concentrate on. A bad couple of days took my eye off the ball. Thanks for the reminder on why we post here.

Date: October 10, 2023 08:40PM

The Wikipedia entry:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: October 11, 2023 10:04PM

From Jan. of 2019:

Posted by: pressingonbyHisgrace
Date: January 03, 2019 01:48PM

Do you remember the phrase "You're killing John"? This was said to people who were not toe-ing the line correctly, in the late 70's and early 80's. The responsibility of God not moving John into resurrection life was laid upon the congregation. We were told (mostly by Marilyn Hargrave) that we weren't praying hard enough or long enough. We needed to fast more. We weren't doing all-night prayer meetings enough. Etc. etc. And when John finally died....guess who's fault it was for him passing away? You guessed it. Many of us carried a sense of guilt for John's death for many years afterwards. It didn't help with Marilyn saying stuff like "I don't need you. I have to move fast to get John back.". We were again blamed, this time for not bringing John back. Guilt - all the way around.""

Paleface wrote:
I'm certain I repressed that memory (until now) due to the sheer basis of its cruelty and ludicrousness, but it is what caused me to finally leave. I remember M kept telling us to 'get rid of our self-condemnation' and, not surprisingly it was the first thing that left when I left!

That witch would come to Anaheim and beat the sheep, when she wasn't blatantly flirting from the podium with Gary and others.

And at South Gate at a long service where we were all expected to stand the entire length of a real 'rager', (remember those drawn-out all-niters)? I was 6 months pregnant at the time, so from time to time I would lean on a seat armrest, until Gary looked over at me and shot a scornful glance with an "I've lost patience with you" sigh over at me. Some sick, sick puppies there, including those of us who swallowed this stuff, under the guise of 'submission'.

I'm glad I left when I did, I'm thankful to have found this site, but moreover so thankful for a loving Savior who never rejected me and caused me to live once again.

Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: October 13, 2023 12:22AM

Changed shared:

Posted by: pressingonbyHisgrace
Date: January 03, 2019 01:48PM

Do you remember the phrase "You're killing John"? This was said to people who were not toe-ing the line correctly, in the late 70's and early 80's. The responsibility of God not moving John into resurrection life was laid upon the congregation. We were told (mostly by Marilyn Hargrave) that we weren't praying hard enough or long enough. We needed to fast more. We weren't doing all-night prayer meetings enough. Etc. etc. And when John finally died....guess who's fault it was for him passing away? You guessed it. Many of us carried a sense of guilt for John's death for many years afterwards. It didn't help with Marilyn saying stuff like "I don't need you. I have to move fast to get John back.". We were again blamed, this time for not bringing John back. Guilt - all the way around.""

Paleface wrote:
I'm certain I repressed that memory (until now) due to the sheer basis of its cruelty and ludicrousness, but it is what caused me to finally leave. I remember M kept telling us to 'get rid of our self-condemnation' and, not surprisingly it was the first thing that left when I left!

That witch would come to Anaheim and beat the sheep, when she wasn't blatantly flirting from the podium with Gary and others.

And at South Gate at a long service where we were all expected to stand the entire length of a real 'rager', (remember those drawn-out all-niters)? I was 6 months pregnant at the time, so from time to time I would lean on a seat armrest, until Gary looked over at me and shot a scornful glance with an "I've lost patience with you" sigh over at me. Some sick, sick puppies there, including those of us who swallowed this stuff, under the guise of 'submission'.

I'm glad I left when I did, I'm thankful to have found this site, but moreover so thankful for a loving Savior who never rejected me and caused me to live once again.

Oh, yes! I do remember all of that. Horrifying!

And this Marilyn quote, "I don't need you. I have to move fast to get John back."

Well, ain't that the truth! And little did we know what, exactly she was talking about. Or exactly how fast she was moving. With Gary, that is. A few people on this forum shared these details. (Onion, Imapurple). And I had zero idea that Marilyn's idea for getting John back was to make a "baby JRS" with Gary Hargrave. Total sickos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2023 12:23AM by Reepicheep.

Date: October 13, 2023 03:43AM

True, Reep.

Date: October 13, 2023 04:46AM

Reep:
And this Marilyn quote, "I don't need you. I have to move fast to get John back."

Well, ain't that the truth! And little did we know what, exactly she was talking about. Or exactly how fast she was moving. With Gary, that is. A few people on this forum shared these details. (Onion, Imapurple). And I had zero idea that Marilyn's idea for getting John back was to make a "baby JRS" with Gary Hargrave. Total sickos.

A few posts by Imapurple:

Posted by: Imapurple
Date: February 01, 2020 09:04PM

The ongoing hindsight in all of this is so eye opening and painful in so many ways. It brings so many different emotions, some satisfying in seeing things come to an end and some sad over the pain of it all. I was close to so much of it as so many people have been. Being a kid growing up with John and with him when he died and everything that followed that to all that is happening now is an overwhelming amount of crazy thoughts and feelings. I like to think I’m free from it all but I realize I’m not. All of my friends and just about everyone in my life were or still are part of this. I say this because my heart goes out to those feeling the same. I’m working away at it. When you’re part of something so huge from such a young age and with it mixed with a great deal of good and bad it’s extremely difficult to sort it out. The evil I’ve seen with Rick, his mother and Gary goes without saying. Not to mention others like Scott, Steve and others. I just hope I can get past the hurt and pray others will be able to do the same.

Posted by: Imapurple
Date: March 13, 2020 09:11PM

G&M started their affair during the time JRS was in his bedroom dying. Everything was twisted from the very beginning of their relationship. Plans were being made on how to deal with johns family and ministries who were looking into what the next steps were going to be for the churches. Complete control and pulling in the money was the first order of business no matter what the cost. That went on for the next 30 plus years. Covering Rick and everything he did was all part of it. Many wonderful and loving people were used thinking they were giving themselves to something that was right.. including me...so much was so wrong

Date: October 14, 2023 01:32AM

How long have you been in this church?

Twenty three years

And who is your designated relationship?

John Robert Hargrave

How old is he?

Five. But he'll be six next month.

Reep wrote:
And I had zero idea that Marilyn's idea for getting John back was to make a "baby JRS" with Gary Hargrave.

Oh my. That's a scary proposition.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.