Re: The Living Word Fellowship, The Walk, John Robert Stevens
Posted by: I_woke_up ()
Date: February 19, 2020 10:22PM

Thank you all for the info. It was enlightening.

My first glance in to George Warnock’s website, I found this gem...

“I would encourage God’s people not to be so caught up with books on "cults" that you fail to know Him who is The Truth. When a new employee in a bank came to the manager, asking if he had false currency he could study -- his reply was simply: "You study the real currency…then you will be able to detect the false." Only the Truth will make one free. If you make the Lord Jesus to be Lord of your life…the false will have no attraction for you. The artificial rose may look exactly like the living rose -- but it is dead.”

Gaslight much, Mr. Warnock? SMH!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: changedagain ()
Date: February 20, 2020 01:28AM

When a new employee in a bank came to the manager, asking if he had false currency he could study -- his reply was simply: "You study the real currency…then you will be able to detect the false."

New employee: O.K., it's almost closing time. Could you stuff lots of new currency in this bag, and I will study it at home?

Manager: Sure. You're taking your job very seriously, and I respect that!

note: the new employee did not show up for work the next day, and the manager was subsequently fired. I'm not really sure what the moral of this story is.

Date: February 20, 2020 03:04AM

John was a contemporary of George Warnock--a few years younger, I think. He would have been around 22 years of age when our country got drawn into WW2. I doubt he ever served in the military, otherwise that would have been plastered all over his bio. He projected himself as a "man's man," after all.
That said, I did hear from many people that he spoke into existence the tearing down of the Berlin Wall, which happened six years after he passed, so that is something.
/s

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2020 03:10AM by changedagain.

Posted by: kBOY ()
Date: February 20, 2020 08:18AM

Getting one thing 'right' after getting so many things wrong does not make one a 'door-opener apostle'.

I envision my body will one day exit the scene (method unclear), and getting that 'right' is no grounds for prophet-hood, just a fact yet to occur.

Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: February 20, 2020 08:45AM

Here's some interesting info I found on the link below. It ties a lot of the Latter Rain people together, including Warnock, Stevens, Sam Fife, Branham, etc. You might recognize a few other names as well.

The ‘Manifest Sons of God’ followers were divided into two major sects. ‘The Walk’ (or The Living Word )(1), and also the ‘Body of Christ’. The Walk started in 1950’s under the “apostleship” of John Robert Stevens, who like Paul Cain (1) & others was a William Branham’s disciple. Stevens was defrocked first by the International Church of the Foursquare Gospel & later by the Assemblies of God because of his unbiblical doctrines. He then founded a network of churches called the Walk, his was the ‘Church of the Living Word’ in Redondo Beach, California, continued today by Gary Hargrave . ‘Living Word’ meant the ‘rhema’ word since J.R. Stevens taught that the Bible text was a dead letter. Please see short documentary of the cult by ex-member Tony Cox.

John Robert Stevens taught that astral projection could be performed, and cited 1 Corinthians 5:3-4 for support, claiming that Paul was able to project his soul to Corinth from a distant point. Also taught that he and his followers were the manifestation of the Second Coming of Jesus & that in some sense, he was greater than Christ, that Christ’s return was a “Presence” among ‘Walk followers’ for signs and wonders. He also believed the Bible to be unfinished & he was always eager for “new revelation”.

After he died, some of the members of his “Apostolic Company” (Sam Fife, Mel Baley, George Warnock (former personal secretary to Ern Baxter a William Branham associate), Francis Frangipane, Royal Cronquist (FGBMFI), Bill Britton (Lake Hamilton Bible Camp), etc.) became involved with the Word of Faith movement or other Latter Rain groups, without ever renouncing the Walk doctrines. Sam Fife founded ‘The Body of Christ‘ in 1962 a.k.a ‘The Move’, Francis Frangipane, was a former pastor of Coniah Chapel, a ‘Walk’ church in San Diego, another became a leader at Ken Hagin’s Rhema Bible Institute, Mel Baley was on staff with ‘Kingdom Now’ pastor Earl Paulk (see Paulk’s paper, Thy Kingdom Come, Feb. 1987, p.9 for a Bailey article); disciple Mark Virkler, became curriculum director for Thomas F. Reid’s Association of Church-Centered Bible Schools."

[cristolaverdad.com]

Date: February 20, 2020 04:35PM

R E E P

There seems to be a bit of misinformation regarding the location of Church of the Living Word (Redondo Beach), and certain members of the 'Apostolic (alcoholic) Company' (Fife, Warnock, Britton, Virkler?).

The age of fake news.

More on the subject: [www.banner.org.uk]

Posted by: Reepicheep ()
Date: February 20, 2020 10:41PM

kBOY, yes, they have a lot of people mixed in there. I thought that maybe they were naming people involved with the same foundation of Latter Rain/Manifest Sons of God/Apostolic Movement. Some of the people named were involved with The Walk of JRS, some with other groups. Side note: Sam Fife also called his group "The Walk" before it became "The Move". William Branham (Latter Rain) seems to be mentioned as foundational to all of these groups. Interesting that JRS frequently stated that God told him to stay away from Latter Rain. By the time he made those claims, most of his audience had probably never heard of The Latter Rain movement. No internet in those days and many admonitions "not to drink from many fountains" meant that no one challenged those statements.

Great article. Thanks!

P.S. I have seen the Redondo Beach (as opposed to South Gate) reference in several places. Occasionally, a website will say that the TLWF headquarters is in New Jersey!

Date: February 20, 2020 11:02PM

Please do not confuse my organization (The Living Word Walk Kingdom Fellowship) with the fake movements you mentioned. Thank you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2020 11:02PM by changedagain.

Date: February 20, 2020 11:47PM

Well, my birthday is approaching (late March), and as usual I drop hints to my family about what I really want...and, of course, they are ignored. Anyway, I suspect some of them read this forum, know my username, so I will take advantage of that and be explicit here about what gift will be acceptable: I want a $6000 ornate coffee table with carved sea turtles! That's it--nothing else. Please respond to my heart cry, and pool your money (if need be) to fulfill this godly desire of mine. And remember-ONENESS is at stake.
/s

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2020 11:48PM by changedagain.

Date: February 20, 2020 11:52PM

C H A N G E D

There is enough material in the scriptures that just about any interpretation is possible, as evidenced by the multitude of splinter-groups that have manifested over the centuries, all presumably from the same source.

"There are about 41,000 different Christian denominations in five major 'families' of churches/communion. The percentages in brackets indicate the percent of the Christian population affiliated with each 'family' or group of denominations:

The Catholic Church [50%]
Historic Protestant and Anglican churches [18%]
The Eastern Churches (Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Church of the East) [12%]
Pentecostal churches [12%]
Evangelical (non-Pentecostal) [8%]"

[www.answers.com]

With so much variety, ONENESS will only be found in HEAVEN.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.