Current Page: 2 of 14
Gurdjieff groups in the SF Bay Area--mid-seventies
Posted by: Blue ()
Date: January 03, 2005 09:30PM

What years were you in Alex Horn's group? Do you know if he is still leading groups? Do you have any actual memories of him?

Blue

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mxkitty ()
Date: January 04, 2005 04:03AM

It was 1969 when I was age 16 months.

No, I do not remember Alex Horn specifically, nor do I know if I was ever actually in his presence. I do remember seeing a whole a lot of naked hippies though, and learning to use the "F word" before I was 2 years old. As a result, I was repulsed by hippies and hippie kids all through my childhood without knowing why until recently.

You can read about one ex-member's experience with Alex Horn's Sonoma Gurdjieff group in the following article:

www.davearcher.com/alex.html

1969 was the year that Alex Horn and Anne Burridge (now Haas) separated and he partnered up with Sharon Gans. This was the end of Horns dealings in Sonoma.

Horn and Gans ran the "Theater of All Possibilities" in San Francisco until a scandal in 1978, which you can read about on this site.

They fled to Montana for a time. Today the pair teaches Fourth Way balderdash out of New York. I hear they have groups in Boston as well.

In 2000, Sharon Gans' son denounced her and she ousted him immediately. I'd like to know his name and to whence he fled.

Would you like to find other people who have harmed by the Sonoma Gurdjieff group? If so, I'm with you.

Posted by: dar3463 ()
Date: January 04, 2005 09:33AM

I am an escapee from Gans & minions. I knew her son very well and did renovations on 2 of his homes. David, unlike his mother, paid me and others for this work. Check my other posts @ Gans. His name is David Kulko & is refered to in RR material on "the work" Contact me for more details. I am in touch with a number of shunned former "students"

Date: January 05, 2005 01:30AM

I would PM you, but I do not yet qualify as per the terms of this site. As so as I do, I will PM you.

David Kulko. Hm. Do you know if he left New York after his split with his mother, Sharon Gans?

Also, why does David have a different surname than his mother? Does his father have the surname Kulko and he uses that?

Did David Kulko ever participate in any Gurdjieff groups in California?

I am attempting to discern if he is in any way connected to any of the Gurdjieff groups in Sonoma.

Please tell me all you can about him: age, physical description, connections with any other Gurjieff groups, marital status, any children and their ages.

What was your experience with him like specifically? Thanks!

Date: January 05, 2005 10:33AM

It seems that David Kulko runs the following business in New York:

7th Avenue Wine and Liquor Company
[psreader.com]
David Kulko and Anthony Correra are the owners of 7th Avenue Wine and Liquor Company (88 7th Ave between Union and Berkeley, (718) 399-3300), the newest addition to Park Slope’s wine shops. They offer a wide range of wines, liquors and liqueurs and a friendly, helpful staff to help you with all your questions. They chose Park Slope as their location because of its excellent foot traffic on 7th Ave, the eclectic mix of people that live in the neighborhood and because it’s a small, beautiful part of New York City. 7th Avenue Wine and Liquor Company plans to have wine tasting during the weekends. Look for theme tastings based on country or region of wine. Cheers!

Date: January 05, 2005 10:58AM

Apparently, David Kulko is going on 44 years old in 2005 and his real name is Darwin Kulko:

Kulko v. Superior Court of California (Horn)

[1] SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES

[2] No. 77-293

[3] 436 US 84, 1977 CFLR 1016, 1122, 1978 CFLR 1004, 1143, CFLP §§B.8-B.14

[4] May 15, 1978

[5] KULKO v. SUPERIOR COURT OF CALIFORNIA IN AND FOR THE CITY AND COUNTY OF SAN FRANCISCO (HORN, REAL PARTY IN INTEREST)

[6] APPEAL FROM THE SUPREME COURT OF CALIFORNIA.

[21] Appellant Ezra Kulko married appellee Sharon Kulko Horn in 1959, during appellant's three-day stopover in California en route from a military base in Texas to a tour of duty in Korea. At the time of this marriage, both parties were domiciled in and residents of New York State. Immediately following the marriage, Sharon Kulko returned to New York, as did appellant after his tour of duty. Their first child, Darwin, was born to the Kulkos in New York in 1961, and a year later their second child, Ilsa, was born, also in New York. The Kulkos and their two children resided together as a family in New York City continuously until March 1972, when the Kulkos separated.

[22] Following the separation, Sharon Kulko moved to San Francisco, Cal. A written separation agreement was drawn up in New York; in September 1972, Sharon Kulko flew to New York City in order to sign this agreement. The agreement provided, inter alia, that the children would remain with their father during the school year but would spend their Christmas, Easter, and summer vacations with their mother. While Sharon Kulko waived any claim for her own support or maintenance, Ezra Kulko agreed to pay his wife $3,000 per year in child support for the periods when the children were in her care, custody, and control. Immediately after execution of the separation agreement, Sharon Kulko flew to Haiti and procured a divorce there; *fn1 the divorce decree incorporated the terms of the agreement. She then returned to California, where she remarried and took the name Horn.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: January 05, 2005 07:40PM

According to former members of the Sharon Gans group, also known as "The Work," Ms. Gans son David Kulko is no longer active with that group.

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: January 06, 2005 12:50AM

What year did you say she married Alex Horn? Or did she divorce Alex marry Kulko, divorce Kulko and then take the name Horn again? I am wondering because between 1964 and 1965 Alex was married to someone else completely different. That marriage was annuled. The other person is a relative of mine. I was at the wedding.

Blue

Date: January 06, 2005 01:11AM

Why is she called "Sharon Gans" when her name is "Sharon Kulko Horn"?

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: January 06, 2005 01:35AM

Because Ms. Gans says so.

Current Page: 2 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.