Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
The Sterling Institute of Relationship
Posted by: trevorcan ()
Date: May 01, 2005 02:40AM

I met a girl 3 months ago and we started dating casually. Since then it has become quite intense and much more serious. Although we are still in the early stages of dating, we have both become quite attached to eachother.

In the first month of dating she would mention her "Woman's Group" meetings that she attended once a week after having attended "THE WEEKEND". Not knowing anything about it, I could only judge it by what she told me. She claimed to be dealing with issues in her life by becoming "more feminine and vulnerable". I could only support her as she was trying to do something positive for herself.

She has been involved with this group for 4 or 5 months now and has been getting more and more involved with it while keeping it all very hush hush and not telling me much about it do to "confidentiality issues".

She left this friday morning at 6 am to do a volunteer production for one of the men's weekends. Although she had to take 3 days off from work to do this, she told me it is something she is doing to help her achieve her goals. My suspicion got the best of me after she left and after a bit of research I stumbled upon this site and became instantly disgusted when I realized what she is actually involved in.

My question is what do I do now? Regardless of what happens between her and I, I'm concerned about her as a person and am interested in helping.

Anyone?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: May 02, 2005 09:33PM

In the long run, you may not be able to change your friend's mind. But you can do some basic things to take care of yourself.

1) From your description, this relationship sounds serious. If you were thinking of becoming married, this entails financial obligations. If you marry someone who is already emotionally committed to a secretive group that causes her to take substantial time from work, this will take her attention, her time and her money away from your relationship. Its kind of like being in a psychological three-some--getting married to someone who is already in love with someone else.

2) Once you marry, her debts (if she contracts any) could become your responsiblity. Some groups put members under pressure to bring in money, even if it means going into debt. For that reason, you have the right to know right now, up front exactly what her time and financial commitment are to this group, will remain to this group and what their name is.

3) If you have children, and she's already giving this amount of time, attention and secrecy to the group, this will create an atmosphere of mystery and tension that the children will eventually pick up on.

4) Theres a distinction between privacy and secrecy.

You may be told that your questions implay lack of respect for other people's privacy. Privacy and secrecy are different and they have different effects on relationships.

Privacy respects boundaries. It is negotiated and supports partnered, peer relationships. In privacy, everyone wins. It can be re-negotiated when necessary

Secrecy is imposed without full consent. Secrecy witholds information you need for your own welfare. It imposes a burden and fosters power imbalances. In secrecy some person wins, others lose, and the ones who lose may not even know it, if the secrecy was imposed without their consent/conscious knowledge.

If you intend to marry, asking questions about time and financial commitments is 100% necessary.

Asking all this is probably going to be tough. Take good care of yourself.

Posted by: trevorcan ()
Date: May 03, 2005 07:11AM

Thank you so much for your feedback corboy. Marriage between her and I has not even something I have thought about. And although I care deeply for this person and what we share together, ultimately, I care about her well being more than what happens between the 2 of us.

Ultimately, I don't know if I can maintain a relationship with her due to this organization. I feel as if it is going to take more and more of her time and energy and I am completely powerless to change that. Not to mention I get the impression these groups encourage relationships between other members. Not that I've seen any evidence but she does refer to the men in the group as "different" than other men.

I am puzzeled as to why she has not asked me to try it. It is all very confusing and I really wish there was something I could do to help her. If i gave her the facts about this group in a supportive way and under the guise of " I really care about you and want to make sure you are making an informed decision about who you are dealing with and will not judge you on your decision.", I wonder if she would take any of it in?

Posted by: ULTAWARE ()
Date: May 04, 2005 10:35AM

CB,

Just ashort THaNX about being on "top-o-it" . What you have stated seems to be right atop of what I experienced first-hand without hte knowledge/understanding of what was going on....

Since this "stuff" is wrung out of their own minds (supposedly by themselves) it has such strength...and as time goes on the LEC brain-meld becomes more & improved -moving eventually from the middle-age set (5-8 yrs) to the now-"30-somethings"

I do not want to seem insensitive, but the U.S. society(IMHO)survives on numbed-out/trouble-laden/financially-strapped/white AND non-matching toned non-"royalty(read rich) folks PAYING taxes (read steady-income) to the/a machine - LEC/US Gov/ any retail entity - I have for a long time sensed that we humans are an "addictable" species...and the so-called democratic (repub/consumer) movement is fed upon that (remember the movie "Solient (sP?) Green?
but hey what do I know? I'm just a humane being who constantly says "Human being...why not be both?"

PAX

Posted by: solway ()
Date: May 10, 2005 12:59PM

Trevorcan,

Yes there is information on this forum that can shine the light on your situation. It was here on RR that I figured out what I was involved in as well. Your story so similar to mine. Secrecy, elitism, "they are so different", etc. I can assure you that my situation was the same with a very active cult member. Over time he became increasing involved, volunteering time and money, participating in seminars/retreats, eventually leaving our long term relationship because IMO he allowed himself to be swept away by the miracle of love that he just couldn't seem to find within himself and outside the group.

I felt like he was having "an affair" with the group. Just like any addiction he would run to them and then after a while run back to me when he felt me moving away from the relationship. One friend said "you can't compete with god". So it ended.

I think we all deserve better. Someone wrote to me tonight "so many gods so little time". I had to laugh.

Posted by: mdiman ()
Date: July 12, 2005 07:21AM

I did the men's weekend December 2000. It was the best thing I have ever done. I did Landmark and Lifespring. This was way better. The mens weekend is an initiation event. Its an opportunity for men to get their balls back and be men again. It a chance to claim your life back, be a man, get your confidence and not let anyone take your masculinity away from you, male or female. Its a training in relationship. You may not like what Sterling says but it does work in relationships. The negative stuff you read is from men who cant handle the truth and are too feminized to be a man again and women who lost control of their men because he has his voice back. Remember, there will always be something negative about every organized event. Look at religion or AA or any belief. You cant please all the people all the time. What I learned from my weekend works for me and 1000's of other men who have done the weekend. It has saved 1000's of marriages and childrens lives.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: July 12, 2005 08:07PM

MDI Man:

You make little if any sense here. And your attempt to blame Sterling's victims for their own injury is pointless. The facts simply don't support your view of Sterling, which is a private for profit company much like Landmark Education.

Arthur ''Artie'' Kasarjian, now known as Justin Sterling, copied the structure of the est (now known as Landmark Education) weekend, and infused some John Gray and Robert Bly.

Nothing new, just re-cycled stuff borrowed from others to make money for Sterling--just another mass marathon training weekend.

To better understand what's wrong with such weekends...

See [www.culteducation.com]

Justin Sterling is not a licensed marriage and family counselor or even a college graduate. His only experience is apparently through est and his own married life.

Sterling's marriage ended in a bitter divorce and the court ordered supervised visitation with his daughter due to bad bahavior.

Also see [www.culteducation.com]

Sterling reportedly has a felony conviction for fraud and his weekend has received bad press including Details Magazine and NBC News in LA and NYC.

Also see [www.culteducation.com]

And [www.culteducation.com]

At one point during the final segment of the weekend male participants strip naked. And since the whole weekend is videotaped this can be both and embarassment at the time and potentially again in the future.

Note the following form and what risk and rights participants are expected to waive.

As for Sterling's supposed wisdom...

His words of wisdom seem more like the rant of a woman hating misogynist than a philosophy that has any potential to help anyone, other than make Mr. Sterling more money.

Date: July 13, 2005 12:10AM

rrmoderator, Have you done the mens weekend or just read posts of people who were happy in their misery?

This is my experience from doing the mens weekend. I am a member of MDI now, which is a separate organization. Many people dont like Justin Sterling as a man but the information, training and education at the weekend are incredible. The 20-30 posts at the Rick Ross site from men who are too feminized to see the truth and women who have lost control of their men is no true measure of the 1000's of lives the mens weekend has really changed. The 1000's of marriages that have been saved and the 10's of 1000's of childrens lives affected.

It does not matter that Sterling had a divorce. It was probably for the better. At this time in society, divorce is common. If you had done the weekend you would know how Sterling feels about divorce.

"And your attempt to blame Sterling's victims for their own injury is pointless"
There is no blame here. This is a mens weekend where men learn how to get their power back as men.

"Arthur ''Artie'' Kasarjian, now known as Justin Sterling, copied the structure of the est (now known as Landmark Education) weekend, and infused some John Gray and Robert Bly. " Way off base and not a valid statement. I have done landmark and Lifespring. None of those teachings were at the men's weekend. If you had done it yourself you would know first hand instead of making up guesses and hearing it
second hand.

"Sterling reportedly has a felony conviction for fraud and his weekend has received bad press including Details Magazine and NBC News in LA and NYC." Reportedly? Do you know for certain or guessing again. Fraud for what? Where are the facts? Bad press? The press can take anything and make it look good or bad. Again, do you believe everything you read? There are two sided to every coin.

"His words of wisdom seem more like the rant of a woman hating misogynist than a philosophy that has any potential to help anyone, other than make Mr. Sterling more money." Have you heard his words yourself or just going by what few others have said and written? There is NO women hating at the mens's weekend. Quite the opposite. Never once does he say to hate women. If you had gone to the weekend you would know instead of jumping on a bandwagon to hate a good thing.

I suggest you do better research before making up statements that are not true. Get the facts first hand and have evidence to back them.

Its sad that a website exists to for people to whine and complain about men being men, fathers and leaders in a society that need its so badly.

I am a MDI member. I am not a Sterling Institute groupie. The mens weekend is place of great information. MDI is where real training and growth happen.

The Purpose of Men's Divisions International
To inspire every man to be the man he has always wanted to be,
so that his love of humanity will drive him to leave a legacy
that assures the success of future generations

The Vision of Men's Divisions International
A world where honor, selflessness, commitment, integrity, training,
and learning give men the wisdom and courage to serve all men,
women, and children for the betterment of humanity.

Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: July 13, 2005 01:17AM

mdiman:

Read the links. You apparently have not bothered to do your research and don't know the facts about Sterling.

Sterling admitted his felony conviction on NBC News. I have a tape and this is cited within the Details Magazine article.

There are numerous first-hand accounts submitted by Sterling graduates within this database.

Frankly, I don't have the time or resources to archive every complaint about Sterling I receive within the database. Suffice it to say, there are many, many more than currently posted. But those posted represent the basic type of complaints that I have received from participants, spouses, partners and families.

I have been receiving complaints about Sterling for years.

I notice you did not dispute the waiver previously linked and/or that men strip naked and are routinely videotaped during their weekend.

Of course you didn't know about this in advance, because Sterling requires that everyone sign a confidentiality agreement. In this way he keeps people from actually explaining what to expect to future and/or potential participants.

In this sense no one can make a fully informed decision to participate in the weekend.

This type of manipulation seems unfair and unreasonable.

Comments like "happy in their misery" and "too feminized" sound like an attempt to dismiss the first-hand experiences of others that don't agree with you.

First, you dismiss anyone who has not done the weekend and then you dismiss those who have, but see it as negative as "too feminized" or some other negative term.

The only response to Sterling you seem willing to accept as valid is one that is positive and agrees with you.

I have not done Sterling and have no interest in either signing my rights away through his paperwork and/or listening to Mr. Sterling rant and ramble on and on through a weekend.

There are always better things to do, such as go see a movie, which is far more entertaining, meaningful and cost-effective. Movie Previews also allow ticket buyers to know what to expect when they walk in and sit down for the show.

If you have done both Lifespring and Landmark you should know that Sterling is just another LGAT (large group awareness training) or mass marathon training weekend. It's the structure, not the philosophy he rants about that I was referring to.

There are sections within the database about Lifespring or Landmark too.

And also [www.culteducation.com]

It appears that you are something of an LGAT junkie, hopping from one LGAT to another.

Both Lifespring and Landmark have been sued for injuries linked to their seminars. Landmark has a deeply troubled history as most members of this board already know. Lifespring was apparently sued out of business.

If you are not a "Sterling groupie" you are certainly doing a good imitation of one. That sing-song recitation of Sterling slogans comes across much like a memorized mantra.

Again, see [www.culteducation.com]

And also [www.culteducation.com]

First hand experiences are cited in the first article above and the second is actually by a reporter that attended the weekend and wrote a first hand account relating his experience.

You will probably dismiss all this too, but you really should do some research and have a better understanding of the material within the database before posting here again.

Date: July 13, 2005 02:58PM

Ahhh, I see now. A voice who speaks up for an organization that is providing good in the world is censored here and shot down. The press can turn anything bad. We both know this. By nature, most people are resistant to changing their lives. Most people are happy sitting in their comfort zones or unaware they have settled for being less. Most people are afraid of the unknown and making a change. "I might be a little uncomfortable." They have their "life blinders" on. We all know the saying, "You can't please all the people, all the time." Someone will always complain about something.

The weekend turns boys into men, men with children into fathers that can be trusted, and men with no voices into leaders of community. What other event can do this?

"...no one can make a fully informed decision to participate in the weekend." Any information before the weekend about what happens would form preconceived ideas and destroy the individual experience. This is about trust. I just came from a circle of 200 graduates tonight celebrating another 200 men going to the next men's weekend. Most of these new men have seen this site. They are more committed to making positive changes in their lives, instead of being stuck where they are and believing a few negative experiences some people had.

"I notice you did not dispute the waiver previously linked and/or that men strip naked and are routinely videotaped during their weekend." Who do you think sees the tapes? What do you think the tapes are used for? Any ideas? How are the tapes made? Under what conditions? What exactly is filmed? Thats it. Scare the people to be submissive good little boys and girls. I wouldn't want to be known as a person who has a desire for knowledge. That would be something terrible. What would people think knowing I went to a weekend seminar to get great information on how to be a better person?

Everyones weekend is different. I dont know the events of the other weekends.

As far as being a "LGAT junkie". What constitutes a "LGAT junkie". One self-awareness course for higher purpose living and creating bigger possibilties then drinking beer on the sofa? 2 or 3 courses? So now this site is calling people "junkies" who have a desire to be open to possibility and learning something new about living full lives. I guess that makes college graduates who have gone to more then one class or one college knowledge junkies. Please, say it with me, "You can't please all the people, all the time." There will alway be people who will complain about something. Ever hear anyone complain about a belief someone else has?

This is a weekend course that provides amazing information on being a great man. You can accept what you like and reject what you dont. For me and 1000's of other men, the weekend changed our lives for the positive in ways we never imagined.

Purpose of the Men's Weekend:
To engage in the process of locating the source of your power and discovering and dissolving the barriers between you and manifesting that power so that you experience total freedom as only a man can and with that freedom be the man you always wanted to be.

Is it bad or wrong to want to be a powerful man? The weekend gives tools to be that man. Its up to you to use the tools you learn or stick to the same rut and expect different results. Isn't that the definition of insanity?

Again, its sad that this site exists to put down an event that makes the world a better place to live.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.