Current Page: 33 of 38
The Work/Byron Katie, Seung Sahn Zen Stuart Resnick
Posted by: helpme2times ()
Date: July 08, 2008 08:27PM

If Stu is indeed a "senior dharma teacher" of the Kwan Um Zen school as he has claimed in various places on the internet, then he would have vowed to uphold the "ten precepts":

~I vow to abstain from taking life.
~I vow to abstain from taking things not given.
~I vow to abstain from misconduct done in lust.
~I vow to abstain from lying.
~I vow to abstain from intoxicants, taken to induce heedlessness.
~I vow not to talk about the faults of others.
~I vow not to praise myself and put down others.
~I vow not to be covetous and to be generous.
~I vow not to give way to anger and to be harmonious.
~I vow not to slander the three jewels (Buddha, dharma, sangha)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Work/Byron Katie-strong concerns
Posted by: rrmoderator ()
Date: July 09, 2008 05:07AM

To whom it may concern:

Daphne has been banned from this message board.

Posted by: helpme2times ()
Date: July 09, 2008 05:14AM

Thank you very much, RR. :-)

Re: The Work/Byron Katie-strong concerns and making medical claims?
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: July 09, 2008 07:43AM

Its amazing that apparently not one person inside or promoting the Byron Katie system is able to reasonably discuss the various Techniques Byron Katie is using in her seminars. Not one?
The best they seem to be able to do is try to Distract, Deflect, tap-dance, or attack.
Fairly typcial. the best defence is a good offence.

I wrote this for Daphne, and I send it out to all the other random-ID's that will appear from time to time.

Here is a way you can help.
Please email Stephen Mitchell today and ask him to provide you with links to the specific peer-reviewed studies which indicate the results of all of the controlled studies that have been carried out to test The Work by Byron Katie.
(So far there are none posted anyone is aware of).

Remember, a Control Group study, is not the same as Testimonials.
Stephen Mitchell knows all about that.
Its up to Byron Katie and Stephen Mitchell to provide the public with this evidence for their medical sounding claims like Eliminate Depression and Eliminate Stress.
They maybe should also send a copy of those to the FTC as well.

control group study, double-blind, random tests
[www.skepdic.com]

anecdotal (testimonial) evidence
[skepdic.com]

Date: July 18, 2008 05:47AM

To whom it may concern;

RandomStu has been banned from this message board.

Posted by: Sparky ()
Date: July 19, 2008 02:38AM

Thank you, rrmoderator!

Re: The Work/Byron Katie-strong concerns, and RandomStu and drugs
Posted by: The Anticult ()
Date: July 19, 2008 03:07AM

Its not surprising that it appears no Byron Katie supporter or professional is willing to logically and intelligently discuss the facts of the methods that Byron Katie uses on people.

They seem to want to do anything they can think of to block that discussion. Denial and deflection seems to be the method of choice.

As far as RandomStu, it would have been enlightening to ask him how he is able to flaunt his own Precepts. There was/is a webpage of his that highlighted his use and promotion of various drugs right at the top of the page.
Where is the WARNING about the dangers of drugs? They are dangerous, as they alter your judgement, and can lead to poor decisions, and spin into addiction for certain people. The drugs that make you hallucinate are very dangerous.
Kids can read those pages, and use it as an excuse.

At the top of his blog...Random Thoughts, it is written...
"A middle-aged guy in Berkeley CA, interested in exploring the mind through formal Zen practice, entheogens, or any means necessary."

entheogens = drugs = psychoactive substances = psychedelics

Where are the warnings of the dangers of these drugs?

Are any of those drugs even legal? Which one's are illegal?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2008 03:17AM by The Anticult.

Posted by: cultcity ()
Date: July 22, 2008 11:24PM

from anti-cult

"Its not surprising that it appears no Byron Katie supporter or professional is willing to logically and intelligently discuss the facts of the methods that Byron Katie uses on people.

They seem to want to do anything they can think of to block that discussion. Denial and deflection seems to be the method of choice."

Dear anti-cult (and others on this forum),

I have found benefit from the bryon katie work, and would like to engage in a logical and intelligent discussion. I may be fully into denial and just not aware of it yet. I once gave a 1 hour talk on the difference between the work and cognitive behavioral techniques. Any questions for me?

More troubling to me right now is the cult-think that is being applied in my workplace called "LEAN" and The Toyota Way. It may be deflection to bring that up here - but I am wondering if anyone on this site is looking at the latest managerial craze and how it affects the workers. I would like your support. Shall I start a new thread? When I tell you the techniques involved with LEANing up our hospital lab, you will think that giving up one's jewelry at a 9 day seminar is small potatoes. This is everyday workplace brainwash.

Also, I was involved in Real Love and dropped that when it appeared cult-like. It almost ruined my marriage. Is anyone threading on Real Love and the requirement that take you from family to make calls to real love people?

thanks!

Date: July 23, 2008 08:01AM

cultcity:

This thread has been plagued with Internet trolls.

Trolling is against the rules and will get you banned.

If you want to discuss anything other than Byron Katie, then start another thread.

Otherwise stay focused on the topic of this thread, which is Byron Katie.

Posted by: corboy ()
Date: July 23, 2008 09:10PM

It is easy, very easy to start a thread on a new topic.

Just look for the 'new topic button' -- and use it.

If that new topic button is not visible, you may need to update to a new browser.

And..here is a test to see whether a logical discussion is even possible between two parties. It is from Professor Steve Dutch's website.

[www.uwgb.edu]

"A Note to Visitors:

I will respond to questions and comments as time permits, but if you want to take issue with any position expressed here, you first have to answer this question:

What evidence would it take to prove your beliefs wrong?

I simply will not reply to challenges that do not address this question.

Refutability is one of the classic determinants of whether a theory can be called scientific. Moreover, I have found it to be a great general-purpose cut-through-the-crap question to determine whether somebody is interested in serious intellectual inquiry or just playing mind games."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2008 09:27PM by corboy.

Current Page: 33 of 38

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.