Current Page: 3 of 4
tip for landmark
Posted by: elena ()
Date: September 23, 2004 07:19AM

I guess when Patrick took the "programming," maybe they hadn't yet toned it down or softened it up. Or maybe it was just his leader, I don't know. What is known is that during the "est" years the "trainers," mimicking their leader, Werner Erhard, used lots and lots of profanity, humiliating put-downs, cruel and abusive taunts, and screaming temper-tantrums.

Sounds like Patrick's referring to some "excercise" taken from Mind Dynamics or Leadership Dynamics, (Sadism, Inc.), in which if a person made a remark such as, "I feel like sh*t," he was made to roll around in a pile of it produced by the other members. Forget where I read this. Some old timers swear this happened, along with some other bizarre stuff. Perhaps in the est or Forum training they combined this into the scientology "Fear or Danger Process" and convinced people under hypnosis that that was what was happening. Amazing what went on in the interests of "mind expansion" in those days. And what sickness idiots like Werner Erhard were able to inflict on his willing participants.

Ellen

Options: ReplyQuote
tip for landmark
Posted by: elena ()
Date: September 23, 2004 07:30AM

hossgal

.....The Tuesday night graduation and the following weekly seminars were nothing more than recruitment pep rallies. The longer I stuck with Landmark (which wasn't long, in the grand scheme...) the smarmier it got. I did the Forum in March, and can't recall exactly when I found this site, but it wasn't long after the staring match with the seminar leader. I was so angry after that, I started digging around on the 'net.

And here I am.

You might find Robert Hare's book about sociopathy, "Without Conscience," interesting. He talks about all the different tactics sociopaths use, including charm, false intimacy, and the "predatory stare." Some people think that, because sociopaths lead lives unencumbered by guilt, remorse, or regret, they are freer and able to do things most of us wouldn't. The pain, or anticipated pain, of consequences to action inhibits people who care about the feelings of others. Some theorize that the vast majority of CEOs in this country are high-functioning sociopaths.

Ellen

tip for landmark
Posted by: patrick-darcy ()
Date: September 23, 2004 10:40AM

hossgal
To Patrick-Darcy:

No, the "fear" exercise we were subjected to had no references to excrement.

thank God for that.

I felt no fear, no apprehensions about my neighbors or anything else. I thought it was a stupid exercise and the people who reacted so "over the top" were either "plants' or needed more (and better) help than any LGAT could provide.

the people that were so over the top were completey
under the controll of the forum leader. this was classic
hypnosis. one of the reasons and there may be others
that u didnt react by wailing and screaming and crying
is because u were taking or had taken medication.

there seems to be a connection between people taking
some medication and them not falling under the
influence of landmark.

If the exercise was meant to "empower" me, well, I guess I'm empowered enough, 'cuz I walked into that Forum feeling like THEY should fear ME!

thats interesting, most people go to get their problems fixed, even
though most will deny it. i do believe your statement

The description of your experience doesn't mean a thing to me. What, if any, was your point?

it should mean something to u. when i attened the forum
jinnendrah had young women who had cancer and was
looking for a psycological edge to combat it up front
and center. he would ask her questions and when she gave
the wrong answers he would cut off her way of thinking
and corral her till she came up with landamark answers.

he had the gall to tell this women that if she had joined
up with landmark sooner in her life then she wouldnt
have gotten cancer in the first place. this man to me
is a dispicable creep.

what he told this women didnt have an effect on my life
other than to make me feel that something there was
terriblly amiss.

also to most people that have taken the forum, when
i mention to them does it mean anything to them, they
answer no. they tell me that it wasnt their experience
so it wasnt true for them.

it should make a difference.

yes it should matter to u.

To Ellen:

My psychiatrist (he's probably in his mid-40's) seemed most interested in whatever positives I may have derived from the experience. Maybe he was afraid I'd come after him for malpractice or something. It's obvious he knew little or nothing about LE prior to this. I told him about the "breakdown" incident and the rest, and how dangerous this could be. I wanted to impress on him that he shouldn't be so casual about signing releases for LE. He did see the horrid manipulations that happen when "leaders" try to convince a participant that what they know to be true is in fact NOT true. (As in, "You told us to return by 7:35" "No I didn't". "You are using hard-sell tactics". "No we're not".) Another one of the "good" things I got out of the LE Forum is, my BS detection system is much better now!

As soon as I heard it was an extension of EST, I became apprehensive. I was certain it was all a big Multi-Level Marketing scheme by Sunday, only in a real MLM, there's at least the idea that the more folks you enroll, the more money you make. LE hooks people on some silly idea of altruism -- that by enrolling people in Landmark you're going to save humanity or something. What a load! Didn't work for me, because I'm not that motivated to save the world. It survives or it doesn't. I caught flack for that attitude, too, from the LE's. My shrink laughed!

The Tuesday night graduation and the following weekly seminars were nothing more than recruitment pep rallies. The longer I stuck with Landmark (which wasn't long, in the grand scheme...) the smarmier it got. I did the Forum in March, and can't recall exactly when I found this site, but it wasn't long after the staring match with the seminar leader. I was so angry after that, I started digging around on the 'net.

And here I am.

tip for landmark
Posted by: Acid Reindeer ()
Date: September 24, 2004 01:19AM

elena
Sounds like Patrick's referring to some "excercise" taken from Mind Dynamics or Leadership Dynamics, (Sadism, Inc.), in which if a person made a remark such as, "I feel like sh*t," he was made to roll around in a pile of it produced by the other members.

that sounds like something I may have read in a book about Leadership Dynamics called [i:e5dd8647ae]The Pit[/i:e5dd8647ae] by Gene Church and Conrad C. Carnes.

you can find large portions of this book transcribed to alt.fan.landmark and posted elsewhere on the web.

tip for landmark
Posted by: hossgal ()
Date: September 25, 2004 11:15AM

For the tip regarding "Without Conscience". I just recently finished "Outrageous Betrayal", "Cults in Our Midst", and "Crazy Therapies", so I'm sorta on a roll with this reading material.

To Patrick-Darcy:

How long ago did you do the Landmark Forum? I do know LE has made changes over the years to try to seem "kinder and gentler", but I think all that's really changed is the "packaging". It's still nasty, manipulative and destructive.

In answer to your comment about certain medications blocking LE's hypnotic influences, what medications and what dosages would do this? I was not the only person who "resisted" trance induction, and others here have posted on these threads regarding their own resistance/failure to "trance out". Some people are better hypnotic subjects than others.

I agree that the seminar leaders can and do say horrible things to people who are in distress -- such things were done and said during my own forum experience. Some I suspect (in retrospect) were "set-ups", others were participants who were blind-sided by the leader.

I failed to see how these tactics were supposed to help anyone. And the "sports coach" model that they supposedly use in the Forums doesn't work either as far as I'm concerned. I've been coached for athletic competitions for years and have never been abused in such a fashion.

It's definitely the product of a sociopathic mind. But what, as individuals, can we do to combat it? People have been sued or hounded half to death who even thought about fighting/exposing Landmark. Beyond warning those who are contemplating it, and confronting (with love and understanding) those who've gone through it and taken the bait, what can we do? :(

tip for landmark
Date: September 25, 2004 10:08PM

LEC! look at this naughty LiveJournal entry I wrote. please, sue me! make yourselves look like bullies.

the more of us speak up, the more trouble they will have attempting to supress what we say.

tip for landmark
Posted by: glam ()
Date: September 26, 2004 09:28PM

LEC! look at this naughty LiveJournal entry of mine. please, sue me!

I read a bit of your post there (sorry about your sister)...the fact that they showed a Monty Python video gave me an idea.

I wonder how many videos/movies and how much recorded music they use at their seminars? It's possible -- in fact, likely -- they're breaking copyright law by using these things without permission. If we could find out what exactly they're showing at their seminars, maybe we could let the companies that own the copyrights know their material is being used without permission. It's not a huge deal, but at least LEC might have to contend with a few lawsuits or having to pay for rights. Or having to stop using the materials.

Of course, it would be hard to prove, since they're so secretive about what happens in the seminars.

tip for landmark
Posted by: patrick-darcy ()
Date: September 26, 2004 10:17PM

hossgal
For the tip regarding "Without Conscience". I just recently finished "Outrageous Betrayal", "Cults in Our Midst", and "Crazy Therapies", so I'm sorta on a roll with this reading material.

To Patrick-Darcy:

How long ago did you do the Landmark Forum?

i did the forum in 1996 , january i think.

I do know LE has made changes over the years to try to seem "kinder and gentler", but I think all that's really changed is the "packaging". It's still nasty, manipulative and destructive.

i would agree

In answer to your comment about certain medications blocking LE's hypnotic influences, what medications and what dosages would do this?

if u look further down the list of the page this is posted u will
find a hypnosis article. its quite interest. it also states that the
brain shows signs of change when people are hypnotised and if
u continue to read it , be sure and make notice of what the parts
of the brain that seem to be changed do.

landmark informs people that if they are taking medication
of any kind to let them know in advance so that they can
decided if u should take the forum or if they will reject u. they
actually on rare occasion reject someone to take the forum.

why would they do this if there wasnt a reason. i have spoken
to people that have taken antidepressents because they were
stopping smoking and they seem to not be taken up by landmarks
high pressure tactics of taking course after course.

it seems its now possible to prove they manipulate the way people
think. if someone wants to do the forum and before they were
tested they could be tested again after they take the course and
their brain scans would be different.

I was not the only person who "resisted" trance induction, and others here have posted on these threads regarding their own resistance/failure to "trance out". Some people are better hypnotic subjects than others.

that is true but many people take lots of courses before they see landmark for what it actually is.

I agree that the seminar leaders can and do say horrible things to people who are in distress -- such things were done and said during my own forum experience. Some I suspect (in retrospect) were "set-ups", others were participants who were blind-sided by the leader.

oh yes, this is manipulation at its best. could i ask what was said
in particular to the people at your forum.

I failed to see how these tactics were supposed to help anyone.

but the people that they used as examples see they were being
used. they , in some instances were relieved of their burden whatever
it was.

the women in my forum came away feeling much better about herself
eventually. she just didnt understand that what she was feeling
was meaningless and empty.

And the "sports coach" model that they supposedly use in the Forums doesn't work either as far as I'm concerned. I've been coached for athletic competitions for years and have never been abused in such a fashion.

one of the reasons the abuse works so well is that so many people
in our sorciety have been abused before landmark ever got a hold
of them.

heres an example of landmarks abuse.

they get in your face and sometimes holler at u and tell u that u are
running a racket if u dont let yourself take in what they have to offer.
of course with people paying their money they want to get something
from landmark so they lend themselves to abuse by landmark.

if people have been abused in their pasts they are easy prey to more
abuse from and especially businesses that state they want to help them.

its like women who have been abused by their partners have a tendency
to fall into other abusive relationships over and over again.

now landmark will rid their victim of any guilty or pain or suffering in
some instances from a prior abuse even as they use abuse to do it.

take a child for instance, a child can be abused and abused and when
its over that child feels good about themselves because their abuser
designs it to be that way.

It's definitely the product of a sociopathic mind. But what, as individuals, can we do to combat it?

this is a sickness on the people. because of past abuses that in
so many instances that are covered up by people , this allows
companies to come in and further abuse people without them
being aware of it.

educating people with groups like this is one way.

People have been sued or hounded half to death who even thought about fighting/exposing Landmark.

yes and landmark being a sect of scientology this is one of their
tactics. it works pretty well, especially with people that money
that landamark could conceivable get their hands on.

Beyond warning those who are contemplating it, and confronting (with love and understanding) those who've gone through it and taken the bait, what can we do? :(

Pray.

i know for so many that idea of asking for Gods help is quite wierd
and foreign to them. there comes a time when have done what we can
and it seems to not be enough. thats that time we need help from
a higher power.

if people, especially in the united states loved each other instead
of abusing each other, landmark would run out of victims.

tip for landmark
Date: September 27, 2004 07:00AM

landmark informs people that if they are taking medication
of any kind to let them know in advance so that they can
decided if u should take the forum or if they will reject u. they
actually on rare occasion reject someone to take the forum.

why would they do this if there wasnt a reason. i have spoken
to people that have taken antidepressents because they were
stopping smoking and they seem to not be taken up by landmarks
high pressure tactics of taking course after course.

Landmark can't make so much money that they can afford to literally turn people away, can it?

no, I think the just mean to screen out applicants who have psychiatric histories in order to protect themselves from lawsuits and the people from getting hurt.

you can check out the Rick Ross archives for background.

tip for landmark
Posted by: glam ()
Date: September 27, 2004 09:14PM

I think the just mean to screen out applicants who have psychiatric histories in order to protect themselves from lawsuits and the people from getting hurt.

To protect themselves from lawsuits, definitely.

To protect people from getting hurt, I don't think so.

People still get hurt by them, every day (that ranges from ruining their relationships with loved ones to psychiatric breakdowns, which still occur). If LEC wanted to stop hurting people, they'd stop giving their "training" and pack it in. They DO blame the victim, however, so be prepared for arguments that people who had breakdowns after The Forum must have had "hidden psychological problems" they were unaware of or didn't admit to. They'll never admit it's the training itself that actually causes the psychological problems. If you look at the form they make you sign, you'll see that you must agree to give up your right to sue in order to take The Forum.

I believe they discourage people from taking any drugs -- including aspirin -- because the training causes exhaustion, tension, pain and headaches, and relief from these things would make the "training" not as "effective." They WANT people to become exhausted and be in pain, so they'll reach their breaking point and become nice and suggestible.

*sigh*

Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.