Word of the Day for September 28
Posted by: Alexis ()
Date: September 29, 2004 12:05AM

Part of my ongoing therapy has been getting to know the dictionary all over again. Online dictionaries make this task so much easier. And today, the word of the day seemed so fitting.

www.m-w.com

The Word of the Day for September 28 is:

traduce o \truh-DOOS\ o verb
*1 : to expose to shame or blame by means of falsehood and misrepresentation
2 : violate, betray

Example sentence:
The scandalous half-truths in the unauthorized biography angered the star, and she was hurt that so many of her former friends had traduced her.

Did you know?
"Traduce" is one of a number of English synonyms that you can choose when you need a word that means "to injure by speaking ill of." Choose "traduce" when you want to stress the deep personal humiliation, disgrace, and distress felt by the victim. If someone doesn't actually lie, but makes statements that injure by specific and often subtle misrepresentations, "malign" may be the more precise choice. To make it clear that the speaker is malicious and the statements made are false, choose "calumniate." But if you need to say that certain statements represent an attempt to destroy a reputation by open and direct abuse, "vilify" is the word you want.

*Indicates the sense illustrated in the example sentence.

As always when introduced to vocabulary words there is a writing exercise to use that word correctly.

Example:

By attending the lec forum, I was told I would gain the knowledge to better reach self-actualization. Instead I was lead to believe bewildering and disconnected beliefs about others, the world and myself. The unfortunate truth is I was traduced during any function or course held by lec and their cohorts in order to pervert my thoughts to align with theirs, and that was their main goal.

Well, I'm a bit rusty on the whole writing thing, but you get the idea. :wink:

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.