Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Landmarkese
Posted by: yutolia ()
Date: May 22, 2008 11:03PM

That's a great idea, Europe-girl. I'm not sure which would be easier; I would have to talk to the speakers to find that out. Another interesting thing would be to find out whether LE is importing English words into a language, or are they changing the meaning of the words that already exist in the language, like they do in English? Very interesting questions. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Vegiegardener ()
Date: July 20, 2008 03:05PM

Hi Yutolia

I have not done any of the courses but am also interested in the linguistic aspects of people who have done LE courses, for other reasons. I was thinking it could be useful to watch and analyse videos of Werner Erhard and other LEs to identify common words, phrases, intonations patterns and other linguistic markers. One small example: I've noticed that people who have done LE courses have common ways of exclaiming, like, "Ter_ri'_fic", but without real enthusiasm, but with a kind of arrogant certainty.

Good luck in your work, I am sure it will become very important and valuable to many people.

Vegiegardener

Posted by: pauker ()
Date: July 20, 2008 10:47PM

Veggiegardener,

You'll get a whopping dose of it all in one fell swoop in the new movie "Transformation." In fact, so much so that if your not an old esthole or lekkie, you might have problems separating the wheat from the chaff at times. (hmm....but isn't that part of the point, now...?)

Amazon, and the other sources they list there, have the DVD w/some decent discounts. Its also been on Comcast's 'On Demand' lineup this summer.

Date: July 20, 2008 11:33PM

One thing I found intriguing from an old esthole's perspective -- having NOT done the forum as well -- has been looking to see how some old est jargon got 'updated' as est morphed into the forum, and as the old company became landmark. After seeing the 'X-formation' movie, and ingesting a bunch of Landmark threads here (acidic burp) recently, it seems that indeed, the only real difference between the two trainings is jargon.

One example of this that jumps out at me is how the est term 'act' got broken down into two parts (by the Magical act of DISTINCTIONS) into the two new categories of Racket and Winning Formula. Inferring from Elena, that's no BFD, or even New Age. That kind of thinking IS normal for a sales trainer of encyclopedia salesmen. But I digress...

Can anyone else think of other glaring examples 'between' the 2 lexicons, either where one convenient buzz-phrase morphed into another, or got broken down into multiple 'distinctions?' ;-)

Posted by: elena ()
Date: July 21, 2008 02:54AM

pauker
One thing I found intriguing from an old esthole's perspective -- having NOT done the forum as well -- has been looking to see how some old est jargon got 'updated' as est morphed into the forum, and as the old company became landmark. After seeing the 'X-formation' movie, and ingesting a bunch of Landmark threads here (acidic burp) recently, it seems that indeed, the only real difference between the two trainings is jargon.

One example of this that jumps out at me is how the est term 'act' got broken down into two parts (by the Magical act of DISTINCTIONS) into the two new categories of Racket and Winning Formula. Inferring from Elena, that's no BFD, or even New Age. That kind of thinking IS normal for a sales trainer of encyclopedia salesmen. But I digress...

Can anyone else think of other glaring examples 'between' the 2 lexicons, either where one convenient buzz-phrase morphed into another, or got broken down into multiple 'distinctions?' ;-)

There was mention a while back that some "trainer" left the organisation and sued them for her "concept" and phrase, "strong suit," as I recall. She was permitted to claim legal or copyright and they had to come up with a substitute, which is when they started using "winning formula."

Ellen

Posted by: nettie ()
Date: July 21, 2008 01:39PM

oh - did they change it back from strong suit to winning formula?

that makes it easier for us oldtimers to keep track :-)

Posted by: yutolia ()
Date: July 22, 2008 12:33AM

Hmmm, I'm glad to know that now - guess I'll be referring to my "strong suits" when talking to lekkies, and seeing how they cover their asses when they correct my terminology!

Date: July 22, 2008 01:19AM

I just thought of another jargon-morph from the old to the newer training. The mind's "yama-yama" in est became the forum's "Already Always Listening."

Posted by: elena ()
Date: July 23, 2008 02:51AM

pauker
I just thought of another jargon-morph from the old to the newer training. The mind's "yama-yama" in est became the forum's "Already Always Listening."

Yes, as I understood, the "yama-yama" was the "monkey-mind" or inner chatter of our own voices that the esties derided as the "little voice" that needed to be stilled in order to be "aware" or "clear" or some such nonsense which was, in reality, the inner voice of conscience or judgment or personal narrative that when quieted was disabled making it that much easier to slip in or reinsert or reprogram with est "technology" -- the silly est notions about a self-centered universe of personal powers where other people are just pawns, objects to be used, or other self-centered operators looking out for their own interests.

Ellen

Date: July 23, 2008 03:07AM

Looking out for their own interests is right, Elena -- and with that leads to, PERHAPS, their biggest con of all (or gotta be in the top 3): with everyone there acting so self-absorbed, they still have the worker bees seeing themselves as great humanists, out 'making a difference in the world.'

Well it certainly would make 'a difference in My World'for a day when some lekkie would try to shove accountability down my throat while at the same time bending the jargon around so as to never have to be held responsible for anything. The Old Jargon Switcheroo. Hey, that's gotta be another one of their top 3 cons -- or maybe I should expand the list to simply the Top 10.

Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.