Current Page: 7 of 7
letting go of a lekkie: abandonment or necessity?
Posted by: corboy ()
Date: September 22, 2007 12:05AM

Any LGAT alumni have difficulty accessing food during scheduled breaks?

[i:b2e98f0496]That[/i:b2e98f0496], along with running short on sleep would make things difficult.

On page two of the French documentary thread

[board.culteducation.com]

Ajinajan and Hope mentioned the following

Even without the added pressure of being processed through an
LGAT, low blood sugar from a skipped meal, caffeine withdrawal for those who use coffee and who find they cannot get out and get a cup of brew, plus running short on sleep would, in aggregate, be a b**tch.

Ajinajan wrote

[b:b2e98f0496]Quote: [/b:b2e98f0496]

Ironically enough, MY Landmark Forum was also in the middle of nowhere, nowhere near any place to eat, we also had very little time to rush to get food, and were scolded in front of 200 people if we came back late from a meal. Our sessions also ended around midnight or 1am, I got about 5 hours or less sleep each night, and wasl always starving when I got back to go to sleep...

and Hope wrote:
[b:b2e98f0496]
Quote: [/b:b2e98f0496]
Though they said there were regular breaks, lunch and dinner, they didn't say the center was in a corporate park where there were no restaurants, stores or any place to get food. I brought my own only because I had taken a ride to find the place earlier. But they lied about the services in the area and the schedule. The lunch break was half an hour at 1 p.m. and then we didn't break until 9 p.m., and then the session did not end until 1 a.m. , with homework assignments and morning start-up at 9 a.m.

Note: If there is a thread you guys like, contribute something every day.
That will keep it visible, even when the spambots dump us a new load of nonsense.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Zorro ()
Date: September 22, 2007 02:05AM

Luckily, the Landmark center I took the Forum, Advanced Course, SELP, and other classes is located in North Dallas and just a couple of blocks from food and just minuets away from any kind of resturant you could desire. They also told us we could bring food, and keep it in a neighboring room. I kept power bars in my car as well as water. If I got hungry I would get a quick bite from a fast food place when we were on brakes.

This biggest problem I had was how long the sessions went. Which meant I had to control how much water I drank and how much coffee I drank before I got there. Otherwise it would make for a loooong session and a looong P** break!!!!

For me I was and alredy am used to erratic eating and long times between breaks, and little sleep. I have to travel a lot for my job so I have developed skills to get around situations that might jack up an ordinary person used to a set daily routine. Also temperature fluctuations dont effect me much unless I'm extremely exhausted. Which means I just implement a plan to deal with the situation as I did in Landmark.

But God forbid someone was late, especially returing from dinner. They would make a big production out of the whole deal and treat the person or group like teenager(s) that needed scolding. When I was in SELP I and one of my groups was 20 minuets late once due to service at our restuant. We had our group leader with us. We all got dumped on for being late. Then the whole class was asked how to keep this from happening again and we all came up with solutions. Which really were simple ways to get out of a resturant faster and useful in general. But overall they made much more of a big deal out of it than they should have.

The center also provided a list of resturants and a map of where they are located so people could get back quicker.

They also told us to not drink alcohol, or take drugs either legal or illegal. I suppose this is to make their programming more effective.

Maybe my adaptability kept me from recieving a total and complete mind f**k. Just a good cattle prod to the brain instead.

Sounds like the Dallas center is located in a place that's not that good for Landmark when it comes to controlling people through food and distractions, as compared to other LGAT places.

Date: September 24, 2007 11:30PM

If anyone (boss, friend, etc) is bugging you to do an LGAT, tell them that getting 5 hours of sleep or less is bad for cardiovascular health.

That, plus the finding quoted earlier in this thread that running short on sleep has the same effect as getting drunk should be definitive.

A true educational experience would protect people's sleep patterns to support optimal cognitive function.

[news.yahoo.com]

Lack of sleep may be deadly, research shows-Reuters
By Ben Hirschler 1 hour, 39 minutes ago

LONDON (Reuters) - People who do not get enough sleep are more than twice as likely to die of heart disease, according to a large British study released on Monday.

Although the reasons are unclear, researchers said lack of sleep appeared to be linked to increased blood pressure, which is known to raise the risk of heart attacks and stroke.

A 17-year analysis of 10,000 government workers showed those who cut their sleeping from seven hours a night to five or less faced a 1.7-fold increased risk in mortality from all causes and more than double the risk of cardiovascular death.

The findings highlight a danger in busy modern lifestyles, Francesco Cappuccio, professor of cardiovascular medicine at the University of Warwick's medical school, told the annual conference of the British Sleep Society in Cambridge.

"A third of the population of the UK and over 40 percent in the U.S. regularly sleep less than five hours a night, so it is not a trivial problem," he said in a telephone interview.

"The current pressures in society to cut out sleep, in order to squeeze in more, may not be a good idea -- particularly if you go below five hours."
Previous research has highlighted the potential health risks of shift work and disrupted sleep. But the study by Cappuccio and colleagues, which was supported by British government and U.S. funding, is the first to link duration of sleep and mortality rates.

The study looked at sleep patterns of participants aged 35-55 years at two points in their lives -- 1985-88 and 1992-93 -- and then tracked their mortality rates until 2004.

The results were adjusted to take account of other possible risk factors such as initial age, sex, smoking and alcohol consumption, body mass index, blood pressure and cholesterol.

The correlation with cardiovascular risk in those who slept less in the 1990s than in the 1980s was clear but, curiously, there was also a higher mortality rate in people who increased their sleeping to more than nine hours.

In this case, however, there was no cardiovascular link and Cappuccio said it was possible that longer sleeping could be related to other health problems such as depression or cancer-related fatigue.

"In terms of prevention, our findings indicate that consistently sleeping around seven hours per night is optimal for health," he said

Posted by: SaneAgain ()
Date: September 25, 2007 12:27AM

Funny. On Quest/est basic the trainer thundered "YOUR BELIEFS ARE FUCKING UP YOUR LIFE...YOU NEED EIGHT HOURS OF SLEEP?! ITS ONLY A BELIEF!! WHY ARE YOU LIMITING YOUR LIFE AND POTENTIAL!!!".

*cough*

Maybe if I went back and re-did the basic I'd get some tips... like... every time the trainer says something is only a belief there is a clue as to which particular brainwashing techniques are coming up next.

Posted by: ON2 LF ()
Date: September 25, 2007 01:23PM

"YOUR BELIEFS ARE FUCKING UP YOUR LIFE...YOU NEED EIGHT HOURS OF SLEEP?! ITS ONLY A BELIEF!! WHY ARE YOU LIMITING YOUR LIFE AND POTENTIAL!!!".

What's really sickening about the above declaration is that there are psychologists out there that support this crap.

Posted by: Blue Pill ()
Date: October 04, 2007 09:29PM

maurice
ON2 LF
I don't understand how she could use this mess as a success story. She tried and failed to recruit me, and failed to keep the friendship in the process. I can see being referred to as someone who was just holding her back that she walked away from, but not a success. At least I hope not. How exactly does landmark re-define the term success?

Success in landmarkia is whatever they say is a success. If you friend didn't manage to recruit you, the success is that she shared landmark with you and she did invite you without being stopped by 'looking good'. If you're still friends, the success is that she powerfully managed to share with you and give you the power of choice (which you just rejected: only "yes i'll join" is a 'choice') without making you wrong (your version does not count. As a non-landmarkian, you are by default running rackets therefore whatever you think or feel is only a 'story'). If there are problems, the success is that the 'inauthenticities' are now exposed and can be 'looked at'. Remember, Landmark save people from their rackets. So if you reject landmark, it's your racket trying to save themselves. You do want to join landmark. The 'you' that doesn't want landmark is not really 'you' but your 'act'. The real you is the 'possibility'. So it's all about sharing the possibility until you see it. "Resistance is futile! You will be assimilated". If a friendship is broken, well, it's your act that broke the friendship. Not the technology. If an adept loses a non-lekkie friend, it cannot be called a success, so they'll just say 'it's not a failure, just something that happened. 'Failure' is an interpretation, 'Failure' is not 'what happened'. Life is empty an meaningless. (repeat it in a 'hare krishna'-style until the group feels that you got it and gives you permission to stop).
By the way, the success part is only the second half of the coaching. Before anything else, your friend will be questioned until she admits that she ran rackets too, she tried to made you wrong etc...Only after she confesses her part of 'inauthenticity' she'll get the candy.

That my friend is so stupendously on the nail. :lol:

I can imagine my ex being "coached" in exactly the same way. She will say that we had to break up because I just "couldn't be present" to her love, her sacrifice, her devotion to "the Work". They will tell her that I "wasn't wrong" just "mis-informed" and "Running my own racket about LM". They will tell her that the breakup was a success because my "in-authentic" ways would have corrupted and undermined her mission of "transforming the world".

Deep down we both Loved each other dearly and Landmark and their poison ruined it for us both. I HATE them with every atom of my being. :evil:

More information on Sleep
Date: October 24, 2007 10:57PM

Americans are among the most sleep-deprived people in the world, doctors and sociologists say. About 40 percent of Americans get less than seven hours of sleep a night, according to a 2005 poll conducted by the National Sleep Foundation, and 75 percent reported having some sort of sleep disorder one or two nights a week.

National guidelines recommend people get between seven or eight hours of sleep a night.

Polls also show that Americans are getting less sleep all the time, as people deal with daily distractions, from work and family life to just staying up late watching TV or surfing the Internet. The National Sleep Foundation poll found that only 26 percent of adult Americans were getting at least eight hours of sleep a night in 2005, compared to 35 percent in 1998.

But lack of sleep isn't just confined to adults.

Dr. Rafael Pelayo, director of Pediatric Sleep Service at Lucile Packard Children's Hospital, said he's noticed sleep deprivation is a growing problem among teenagers.

"They seem to be modeling their parents and getting as little sleep as possible. They're routinely staying awake past their parents and they're drinking more coffee," Pelayo said. "Sleep is still an afterthought for most people; it's something they can sacrifice. But sleep is actually an important cornerstone of health."

[www.sfgate.com]

If we were all taught, early on, that good nights sleep is as important as brushing and flossing our teeth, that alone would not only keep most of us happier and healthier, but equip us to reject any project or relationship that causes chronic disruption of sleep. It would be a radical form of cult prevention if people learned to march out of any situation that kept them up past their bed time.

If it is indeed that case that Americans are already running short on sleep, that would make us yet more susceptible to programs that imposed additional disruptions on sleep--and that throw peer pressure, authoritarian bullying into the mix.

In this article, a man who emerged from a painful relationship with a committed LGATer wrote:

"What I should have done is listen to my voice telling me something was very, very wrong here.

Over the next few weeks I started to notice more and more her very odd behavior. Arriving home at 3:00 AM in the morning on weeknights with work the next day and seemingly endless coaching calls and texts from her "participants" when she wasn't at the building. Time for her very limited circle of friends was almost non existent and also her family which seemed to be limited to phone calls. Every date we arranged would end up being at odd times of the day, often as late as 10:00 PM after one of her Landmark sessions for which she would always be late, accompanied with no plausible explanation or apology.'''

After the break up, the writer warns:

"And finally DON'T get involved with a "committed" Landmarker in ANY of the following circumstances"...and gives a long list. Among them, he mentions as one condition that makes such a relationship impossible:

"You think 4 hours sleep most nights constitutes sleep deprivation.

"Landmarkers are told that the sleep they get is "what they get", after of course all their Landmark commitments have been met and they have "completed" with everyone. Curiously, Landmark are very concerned about people's "Well Being"..apparently. Obviously expecting their unpaid staff to work till 2am in the morning for as many evenings a week that Landmark can coerce them into is not part of this "concern" construct."

[culteducation.com]

Note: the subjects in the study were kept from sleeping for 36 hours,,but because of research ethics, were not (ahem) exposed to additional stress, nor were they asked to make important decisions about their lives and basic belief systems.

But...if you're getting perhaps 4-5 sleep hours a night and on top of it are bombarded by peer pressure, a controlled authoritarian room enviroment, shaming and regressive process as reportedly are used by many LGAT's that is going to be harsh.

[news.yahoo.com]

Without sleep, the emotional centers of our brains dramatically overreact to bad experiences, research now reveals.

"When we're sleep deprived, it's really as if the brain is reverting to more primitive behavior, regressing in terms of the control humans normally have over their emotions," researcher Matthew Walker, a neuroscientist at the University of California, Berkeley, told LiveScience

Anyone who has ever gone without a good night's sleep is aware that doing so can make a person emotionally irrational. While past studies have revealed that sleep loss can impair the immune system and brain processes such as learning and memory, there has been surprisingly little research into why sleep deprivation affects emotions, Walker said.

Walker and his colleagues had 26 healthy volunteers either get normal sleep or get sleep deprived, making them stay awake for roughly 35 hours. On the following day, the researchers scanned brain activity in volunteers using functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) while they viewed 100 images. These started off as emotionally neutral, such as photos of spoons or baskets, but they became increasingly negative in tone over time—for instance, pictures of attacking sharks or vipers.

"While we predicted that the emotional centers of the brain would overreact after sleep deprivation, we didn't predict they'd overreact as much as they did," Walker said. "They became more than 60 percent more reactive to negative emotional stimuli. That's a whopping increase—the emotional parts of the brain just seem to run amok."

The researchers pinpointed this hyperactive response to a shutdown of the prefrontal lobe, a brain region that normally keeps emotions under control. This structure is relatively new in human evolution, "and so it may not yet have adapted ways to cope with certain biological extremes," Walker speculated. "Human beings are one of the few species that really deprive themselves of sleep. It's a real oddity in nature."

In modern life, people often deprive themselves of sleep "almost on a daily basis," Walker said. "Alarm bells should be ringing about that behavior—no pun intended."

Future research can focus on which components of sleep help restore emotional stability—"whether it's dreaming REM sleep or slow-wave, non-dreaming forms of sleep," Walker said.

Many psychiatric disorders, "particularly ones involving emotions, seem to be linked with abnormal sleep," he added. "Traditionally people mostly thought the psychiatric disorders were contributing to the sleep abnormalities, but of course it could be the other way around. If we can find out which parts of sleep are most key to emotional stability, we already have a good range of drugs that can push and pull at these kinds of sleep and maybe help treat certain kinds of psychiatric conditions."

The findings are detailed in the Oct. 23 issue of the journal Current Biology

Six Hours of Sleep or less is bad for us--and thats without LGAT input
Date: June 09, 2008 01:01AM

Sleep deprivation is rampant in the United States. That means many people who are persuaded to do an LGAT are already sleep deprived and would be vulnerable to disorientation and deterioration in critical thinking brought on by the added sleep disruption and stress induced by the LGAT. Even a crudely
designed LGAT could throw quite a few people off kilter if they are already sleep deprived prior to participation.

"The group of people getting optimal sleep is getting smaller and smaller," said Dr. Chris Drake, senior scientist at the Henry Ford Hospital Sleep Disorders and Research Center in Detroit. "When a person's sleep drops to six hours or less, that's when a lot of things become very problematic."

American living is making us ill--and vulnerable to mass indoctrination.

[news.yahoo.com]

Sleep: A Necessity, Not a Luxury

By Dennis Thompson
HealthDay Reporter

SUNDAY, June 8 (HealthDay News) -- The pace of life gets faster and faster, and people try to cram more and more into every minute of the day.

As things get more hectic, sleep tends to get short shrift. It's seen as wasted time, lost forever.

"For healthy people, there's a big temptation to voluntarily restrict sleep, to stay up an hour or two or get up an hour or two earlier," said Dr. Greg Belenky, director of the Sleep and Performance Research Center at Washington State University Spokane.

"But you're really reducing your productivity and exposing yourself to risk," Belenky added

That's a message doctors are trying to spread to Americans, including the estimated 40 million people who struggle with some type of sleep disorder each year

Before Thomas Edison invented the light bulb in 1880, people slept an average of 10 hours a night. These days, Americans average 6.9 hours of sleep on weeknights and 7.5 hours a night on weekends, according to the National Sleep Foundation.

"The group of people getting optimal sleep is getting smaller and smaller," said Dr. Chris Drake, senior scientist at the Henry Ford Hospital Sleep Disorders and Research Center in Detroit. "When a person's sleep drops to six hours or less, that's when a lot of things become very problematic."

While experts recommend seven to eight hours of sleep each night, the amount needed for an individual can vary.

But lack of sleep affects a person in one of two ways, Belenky said. First, sleeplessness influences the day-to-day performance of tasks.

"The performance effects are seen immediately," he said. "You short-change yourself of sleep, and you see the effects immediately. You can make a bad decision. You can miss something. Have a moment's inattention, and you're off the road."

The longer-term effects of sleep deprivation involve a person's health. Doctors have linked lack of sleep to weight gain, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart problems, depression and substance abuse.

"Hormones that process appetite begin to get disorganized," said Drake, who's also an assistant professor of psychiatry and behavioral neuroscience at the Wayne State University School of Medicine. There's a decrease in the amount of leptin, an appetite-suppressing hormone, when a person gets too little sleep. At the same time, ghrelin -- a hormone that stimulates appetite -- increases with a lack of sleep.

Too little sleep also interferes with the body's ability to regulate glucose and can cause inflammation leading to heart problems and a rise in blood pressure. "There's a stress response to being in a sleep loss," Belenky said.

The types of people not getting enough sleep also break down into two groups. First, there are those who make the conscious choice to go without enough sleep.

"It's sort of part of the culture," Belenky said. "People pride themselves on getting little sleep. You'll hear people bragging, 'I only need six hours a night.' So there's a macho element here."

(This is not mentioned in the article but LGATs would foster this belief that sleep is optional. We had a discussion on another thread about the hazards of sleep disruption and a troll accused me of having self limiting beliefs when I stated that I could not function well or feel well unless I got a minimum of 7 hours of sleep. The troll was an aggressive LGAT apologist and the LGAT he trolled for uses sleep disruption as part of its toxic brew for fucking up people's minds)

On the other hand, there are people who are suffering from sleep disorders. These disorders include:

Insomnia, an inability to go to sleep or stay asleep.

Sleep apnea, or breathing interruptions during sleep that cause people to wake up repeatedly.

Restless legs syndrome, a tingling or prickly sensation in the legs that causes a person to need to move them, interrupting sleep.

Someone suffering from any of these problems should visit their doctor or see a sleep specialist, Belenky said.

(I agree 100%. I went through 4 months of severe stress related insomnia due to a family upset, averaging 4 hours a night, and nearly lost my mind. Medical intervention was necessary. Dont hesitate to get help! C)

Sleep apnea, the most prevalent sleep disorder, can have particularly serious long-term effects if left untreated. "You're waking up out of sleep to breathe. You can't sleep and breathe at the same time," Drake said. "It's a risk factor for developing major cardiovascular health effects."

Some people who have trouble sleeping will resort to mild sedatives like Ambien and Lunesta.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration recently asked the makers of these sedative-hypnotic drugs to strengthen their warning labels. This action followed reports of dangerous allergic reactions, as well as a host of bizarre behavioral side effects that include sleep-driving, making phone calls, and preparing and eating food or having sex while asleep.

Drake and Belenky both consider sleeping pills to be fine for the short term if taken properly.

"Sleeping pills are a temporary solution," Belenky said. "If you're upset about something or have situational insomnia, or you're trying to sleep at the wrong time of day because you've traveled across time zones, they are effective."

But, both doctors noted the pills will do nothing to help a chronic sleep problem. "They don't address the pathology of their sleeplessness," Drake said.

The U.S. National Institutes of Health offers these tips for getting a good night's sleep:

Stick to a regular sleep schedule.

Avoid exercising closer than five or six hours before bedtime.
Avoid caffeine, nicotine and alcohol before bed.

Avoid large meals and beverages late at night.
Don't take naps after 3 p.m.

Relax before bed, taking time to unwind with a hot bath, a good book or soothing music.

If you're still awake after more than 20 minutes in bed, get up and do something relaxing until you feel sleepy. Anxiety over not being able to sleep can make it harder to fall asleep

More information

To learn more, visit the National Sleep Foundation

Re: letting go of a lekkie: abandonment or necessity?
Posted by: patrick-darcy ()
Date: June 12, 2008 11:25AM

ON2 LF

"YOUR BELIEFS ARE FUCKING UP YOUR LIFE...YOU NEED EIGHT HOURS OF SLEEP?! ITS ONLY A BELIEF!! WHY ARE YOU LIMITING YOUR LIFE AND POTENTIAL!!!".

What's really sickening about the above declaration is that there are psychologists out there that support this crap.

what is even more sickening is that the u s government is so busy taking
care of itself it has completely failed at protecting american citizens in
their own country.

if u remember your forum u will surely remember the "empowerment" process.

its the one where u are told there are so many people in the room and they
are all terrified of u and then there are so many people in the city, metropolitan
area,county, state, etc etc etc. then the pople wail and scream and cry
because they are terrified

and

then the part comes when u are the one doing the terror to other people
and everybody begins to laugh and giggle.

most people don remember this part of their forum.

landmark empowers people to be terrorists and the u s government
is out to lunch.

go figure.

Re: letting go of a lekkie: abandonment or necessity?
Posted by: Zorro ()
Date: June 13, 2008 02:32PM

I hear you patrick-darcy. Our government is out to lunch on many things, Landmark is just one of them. But the government is a whole can of worms unto itself! I don't even want to get started!

Anyhow, this is exactly why we all need to take things into our own hands and go after Landmark on our own and as a group, regardless of the country we happen to live in. It all starts with us and works its way up. We can be very effective and move, react, and adjust much quicker than the government can.

Current Page: 7 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.